Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For how many previous years can you claim back VHI expenses?

Options
  • 20-03-2013 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Is it true that claims must be submitted within three months of the end of the Renewal Year? In other words, must all 2012 expenses be submitted before the end of this month?

Or have people's experience been different?
    Do the statute of limitations of between 5 and 7 years to make a claim apply here? In other words, you can still make a claim today for expenses incurred 5 to 7 years ago?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Is it true that claims must be submitted within three months of the end of the Renewal Year?

Yes
    Do the statute of limitations of between 5 and 7 years to make a claim apply here?

I'm not sure which 'statute' you're referring to.

The VHI Ts & Cs apply and they say you must clam within three months of your renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

What I mean is making a claim with VHI used to be in line with making a claim using the Form Med 1.

With the Form Med 1 a claim for tax relief must be made within 4 years after the end of the tax year to which the claim relates. Therefore, to claim for the year 2008 you must submit your claim before the end of the year 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Is it true that claims must be submitted within three months of the end of the Renewal Year? In other words, must all 2012 expenses be submitted before the end of this month?

Or have people's experience been different?
    Do the statute of limitations of between 5 and 7 years to make a claim apply here? In other words, you can still make a claim today for expenses incurred 5 to 7 years ago?

Thanks in advance.

The terms and conditions of your plan will note
    "We will only pay the benefits when you send us a claim form which you have completed and signed, together with receipts. You must do this within three months of the end of the year."
    Generally they will not apply the three month rule that strictly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

What I mean is making a claim with VHI used to be in line with making a claim using the Form Med 1.

With the Form Med 1 a claim for tax relief must be made within 4 years after the end of the tax year to which the claim relates. Therefore, to claim for the year 2008 you must submit your claim before the end of the year 2012.

Med 1 refers to revenue.

Under Section 7, Civil Liab and Courts Act 04 the Statute of Limitations period for insurance claims is two years I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

LostArt wrote: »
    Med 1 refers to revenue.

Sure, but like I say they used to be in sync.
    LostArt wrote: »
    Under Section 7, Civil Liab and Courts Act 04 the Statute of Limitations period for insurance claims is two years I believe

Yes, this is what I was looking for a definitive answer for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement