Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 4), Mar 23-24, 2013

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Drogmal

Super free kick by Foley, happy to grind out that win today. The sooner we get Prender back at centre half the better, Byrne is a liability!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

oldyouth wrote: »
    Fair enough Mars Bar. When you say you watched it back, is there a video of the game available?

I recorded it for analysis for SD.
    Wexford had their own fella doing it. Not as dedicated as me though as he wouldn't go outside to record it coz it was too cold! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Anyone at the Cross? Care to tell how we played?

Just herd result. I actually was optimistic that we could get the 3 points.

We were poor enough. Had lots of possession, and put in a few crosses or decent balls, but no one was there to get on the end of them. Rarely tested the Derry keeper, but we had enough chances to have it won. Derry were worse.

I'm not sure about the penalty. There was absolutely no one near Rundle, and when he controlled the ball in the box, the linesman flagged for a handball. Either it was stupid of him or stupid of the linesman. I'd want to see it played back on MNS, though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Saw the Shels match - píss poor. Pitch not great but to be expected given the weather. Shels were reasonable awful but they did have 2 very good chances in the second half. First time seeing their keeper in action, he certainly has all the attributes to be a top class keeper.
    Rovers - I expected more, a lot of talent but not a goal in sight...again.

City losing at home is a blow as we were certainly expected to get a better result than that. Long season ahead though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Am out injured myself and with the lack of games on around the place that id usually go to if i have no match, took myself off to my first LOI game since i was about 14 (10 years ago)

Took myself off to Shels-Rovers as shels would be the closest to the house.

Impressed with the atmosphere/crowd numbers. Not sure if the attendance was an average one or if it was boosted by the game being against rovers.

For the talent I've seen rovers show in games on tv etc I was surprised with their display today. Lots of possession and a quality right back and right winger along with roman Finn and a good ball playing CB. Serious lack of incisiveness from them and really lacking a bit of quality up front.

Shels with their lack of possession had more than enough chances to win the game, how that centre forward (he eats what he wants, I believe) missed his open goal after some good closing down from the shels right winger I don't know. Pitch obviously didn't contribute to a barca style passing game, but the lack of composure on the ball from some shels players was shocking. Their CM no.7 was the most to blame IMO and their use of the ball improved markedly once he went off. Perhaps I saw them on a bad day on a bad pitch, but I watch a lot of LSL as well as playing in the UCL and there are a few players there I can think of that could be an improvement on some of the players I saw.

Although a good shot stopper and commanding/confident in his area, watching him attempting to kick the ball was like watching bambi on ice, painful at times.

Overall a totally worthwhile experience and very enjoyable despite a bitterly cold day. Will definitely be going along to more LOI games in future instead of making trips to junior games!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

HEWHW's miss even though he was offside. Shocking.

It was given for handball, but still awful miss.

Finn was completely cancelled out by the pitch, he could control the ball better than anyone, but not pass it. Chambers much the same. SOC slightly better when he tried some intricate stuff. McCabe was beyond awful.

The amount of skewed clearances and underhit passes was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

VW 1 wrote: »
    Am out injured myself and with the lack of games on around the place that id usually go to if i have no match, took myself off to my first LOI game since i was about 14 (10 years ago)

Impressed with the atmosphere/crowd numbers. Not sure if the attendance was an average one or if it was boosted by the game being against rovers.

For the talent I've seen rovers show in games on tv etc I was surprised with their display today. Lots of possession and a quality right back and right winger along with roman Finn and a good ball playing CB. Serious lack of incisiveness from them and really lacking a bit of quality up front.

Shels with their lack of possession had more than enough chances to win the game, how that centre forward (he eats what he wants, I believe) missed his open goal after some good closing down from the shels right winger I don't know. Pitch obviously didn't contribute to a barca style passing game, but the lack of composure on the ball from some shels players was shocking. Their CM no.7 was the most to blame IMO and their use of the ball improved markedly once he went off. Perhaps I saw them on a bad day on a bad pitch, but I watch a lot of LSL as well as playing in the UCL and there are a few players there I can think of that could be an improvement on some of the players I saw.

Although a good shot stopper and commanding/confident in his area, watching him attempting to kick the ball was like watching bambi on ice, painful at times.

Overall a totally worthwhile experience and very enjoyable despite a bitterly cold day. Will definitely be going along to more LOI games in future instead of making trips to junior games!

Glad you enjoyed and hope to see you around Tolka a couple more times over the course of the season. Was working today and only got to see 20 mins of the first half while on my break. Burdon and Memery looked like good prospects.

My brother in law came with me to the Dundalk game last week, poor game, poor performance and poor result but the fecker was back up there today without me and has made it to more games this season than I have :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

At least they understand, 11 men works a lot better than 10! Good result, sloppy match but I would have taken a draw any day of the week!

Burdon if he can get his kick outs sorted will make it to England imo, serious talent. He's only in Ireland as a pitstop afaik, doing a FAS course.

Fairly muck crowd, but was expected tbh, 815 in the Rovers end with just under 900 on the home side. Happy enough with our home attendance granted they're never great, but was expecting nearly double from Rovers considering what their fans were expecting.

Absolute shocking attempts at an atmosphere from one of the best away sections for noise in the League. Most it got to was about 15 lads on the steps under the gantry trying to get stuff going.

The foreign away fans have taken a liking to Tolka, mountains of Germans last year and a good few Austrians today. One thing in common, they love our bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Absolute shocking attempts at an atmosphere from one of the best away sections for noise in the League. Most it got to was about 15 lads on the steps under the gantry trying to get stuff going.

Exact same craic in Dalymount last Monday, one of the worst rovers crowds noise-wise since they moved to Tallaght. What's going on? Has the bandwagon hit a few potholes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Bit of a grim game, the lads on the Rovers forum seem to be in full panic mode.

Shame to see Kilduff cancelled out so easily by relatively inexperienced centre-backs. Lots of people slating McCabe but he's like that - drifts in and out of games, even when he's actually trying. Vs Pats he was having an absolute mare before he scored a great goal and finished strongly.

Oman, rather like last season, resembles a ticking time bomb at CB, but at least Sully can do a job there while McCormack fills in at RB - and Ricer may have to play there to get a game. Also positive that Powell looks a lot more capable, and Quigley showed lots of class when he came on.

For me the best Rovers XI would be:

Murphy
    Sully Foran McGuinness Powell
    Chambers
    Finn
    McCabe O'Connor/Dennehy
    Quigley
    Kilduff/Shep

Should be winning matches in bloody no man's land with that line-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Big question marks over our midfield again.

Changes needed to get the best out of that area.

Gearoid Morrissey on the wing is not an option. Wasted out there.

I think the fact that this post has 18 "thanks" pretty much debunks the myth around here that LoI fans are completely unwelcoming towards potential supporters. If you give the League a chance like VW has, you'll be welcomed with open arms, even if you're going to support a rival club.

I'm delighted you enjoyed yourself, VW, and I hope you'll be back at Tolka Park or other LoI stadia in the not too distant future. It just goes to show that, while the players aren't as expensive as the top level or grounds might not be as comfortable as watching at home or in the pub, that the experience can be just as enjoyable, if not more so.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »

I think the fact that this post has 18 "thanks" pretty much debunks the myth around here that LoI fans are completely unwelcoming towards potential supporters. If you give the League a chance like VW has, you'll be welcomed with open arms, even if you're going to support a rival club.

I'm delighted you enjoyed yourself, VW, and I hope you'll be back at Tolka Park or other LoI stadia in the not too distant future. It just goes to show that, while the players aren't as expensive as the top level or grounds might not be as comfortable as watching at home or in the pub, that the experience can be just as enjoyable, if not more so.

To be honest I couldn't agree more. There was such a family feeling about the place that made it so welcoming, from there being actual families there, to everyone knowing each other and chatting/greeting etc. I was a season ticket holder at united, and still go over a bit but there was something different about yesterday for me. Obviously united would still be the team I support, I don't feel the same affinity for any LOI club, but yesterday was a start for me.

One thing that really annoys me was I was trying to get a few mates to go and make a day of it with a few pints too, nobody was really up for it. Then got a text at half time saying 'sure your mad for going down and paying in, it's on tv'

Sums up a lot of football fans for me. I usually go to a game Friday evening, play Saturday and try go to one Sunday of there's something on near me, but I can't understand that attitude at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

Then got a text at half time saying 'sure your mad for going down and paying in, it's on tv'
    that's the attitude that actually makes me pity the barstoolers (term seems very appropriate here)... The find every excuse under the sun from ^paying in (when they are probably spending more in the pub watching it), price of addmitance, 10 - 15e max yea right! to quality of football... But its the sum of the parts that makes the live match, sure it isn't the quality of the epl, but you get to enjoy and be part of the atmosphere and banter and that just doesn't exist on tv. Its what makes the match day experience what it is and their loss imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

One thing that really annoys me was I was trying to get a few mates to go and make a day of it with a few pints too, nobody was really up for it. Then got a text at half time saying 'sure your mad for going down and paying in, it's on tv'

Not a go at your friends cause it applys to everyone including myself, but these people would have no problem going to United/ Liverpool game which would be on TV too.

They would be also first to complain about how bad Irish football is etc

Any excuse.

Not a go at your friends cause it applys to everyone including myself, but these people would have no problem going to United/ Liverpool game which would be on TV too.

They would be also first to complain about how bad Irish football is etc

Any excuse.

Totally agree with you.

I mean I think a lot of people think the standard of Irish football is bad through a lack of actual playing the game. People who may play 5 a side and think they could have made it.

Truth is the higher end of amateur football in Ireland which I would see a lot of is quite high in my opinion and the games are more than worth going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Totally agree with you.

I mean I think a lot of people think the standard of Irish football is bad through a lack of actual playing the game. People who may play 5 a side and think they could have made it.

Truth is the higher end of amateur football in Ireland which I would see a lot of is quite high in my opinion and the games are more than worth going to.
    I actually played a few 5-a-side matches in UCD against UCD players. They weren't first teamers at the time, they are now though. My God! Wow. The pace and movement and ball control were out of this world. I know its 5-a-side and all, but Christ. The chemistry they had together was simply amazing too. I played in goals for one of the matches and seeing them pass the ball perfectly weighted and right to feet was beautiful - without looking. We slaughtered them in one match, one, which was great for us but that was probably because we rained the goal with shots as opposed to breaking them down. There was no doing it. They are really on another level. Imagine what the likes of the two Rovers are at.

MNS was on tonight ya?

Missed it but hope catch it on RTE Player once up.

Just watched MNS there.

Very unlucky handball for us. Ball just bounced up, but officials had to give it.

That young keeper for Shels pulled off some great saves. He had super game going by highlights. Has bright future by looks of things.

Some decent goals too in LOI this week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

One thing about Niall Burndon, the Shels keeper, is his kicking is absolutely woegeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

One thing about Niall Burndon, the Shels keeper, is his kicking is absolutely woegeous.

Only thing I can think of is he was brought up in France rather than Ireland and therefore was never shown how to aimlessly hoof the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Matthews will soon sort it.

dan1895 wrote: »

Only thing I can think of is he was brought up in France rather than Ireland and therefore was never shown how to aimlessly hoof the ball.

Aimlessly hoof would be an upgrade!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Any Sligo fans in the main stand...was it a pen in the last minute to us? I was at the other side of the ground, from where I was it looked a certain pen, but was quiet far away...think we'll finish top 6, which is good considering we've a lot of new players, and all this talk of the money we spend is just talk, our wage bill would certainly be nowhere near that of either rover's...
    Replay confirms it was never a penalty. He was going nowhere and gladly took a dive when he felt a hand at his back.

Furthest man from the incident gets himself sent off for protesting. Stupid suspension to pick up.

To be honest I couldn't agree more. There was such a family feeling about the place that made it so welcoming, from there being actual families there, to everyone knowing each other and chatting/greeting etc. I was a season ticket holder at united, and still go over a bit but there was something different about yesterday for me. Obviously united would still be the team I support, I don't feel the same affinity for any LOI club, but yesterday was a start for me.

That's the thing with getting into LoI football. You don't have to burn and erase everything with your existing club you follow and pledge undying allegiance to your new club. You can easily support them as your second team, which is made easy by the fact that LoI matches rarely clash with the other big leagues in Europe. It's no real different than taking an interest in other teams, something many people do with many teams - the only actual difference is that Irish clubs tend to be more accessible.

Sums up a lot of football fans for me. I usually go to a game Friday evening, play Saturday and try go to one Sunday of there's something on near me, but I can't understand that attitude at all.

It's akin to saying "Why are you paying to go see that concert, sure you have their CDs, why not just stay at home and listen to them?".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Replay confirms it was never a penalty. He was going nowhere and gladly took a dive when he felt a hand at his back.

Furthest man from the incident gets himself sent off for protesting. Stupid suspension to pick up.

Still maintain it was a penalty. Thought Djilali caught his leg while running behind him, even with slow motion.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »

That's the thing with getting into LoI football. You don't have to burn and erase everything with your existing club you follow and pledge undying allegiance to your new club. You can easily support them as your second team, which is made easy by the fact that LoI matches rarely clash with the other big leagues in Europe. It's no real different than taking an interest in other teams, something many people do with many teams - the only actual difference is that Irish clubs tend to be more accessible.
    my Fridays would usually be spent at a sheriff game in clontarf as I train there or ballymun or Kevin's as both are within 3 mins drive of my house. The reason I'd pick these is for handiness, but guess I could travel 5 mins further! I also realise that it would have no bearing on my support of an English team, I also look out for other teams in other countries and watch when I can. The issue is more that a passion for a team can't simply be conjured up out of nothing, but persistency and going to games it may work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Hi folks,i'm a noob around these parts,i'm a long term DundalkFC supporter but i've also been known to shout for other LOI sides playing in Europe and Setanta cup matches.

I love the LOI,i have struck up great friendships with other fans from following "my side" & "our club".

For DundalkFC the entrance fee on to the terrace is a tenner,even for fifteen quid for the stand with a seat is still a deal and a half!

The current ROI side is made up of about 65%- 70% of lads who played in LOI at some stage!.Come watch the next gen squad early in the LOI.Give it a go,see & feel the enthusiasm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

geeky wrote: »
    Bit of a grim game, the lads on the Rovers forum seem to be in full panic mode.

And rightly so in my opinion. Croly seems to have learned a bit too much for Buckley in terms of tactics. After 10 minutes they should have realised that the only option was direct football, but we stuck to our only game plan.

I dont think we've actually scored a goal that wasnt gifted to us yet. If you look at the Linfield game I think all the goals were down to poor keeping or bad defending, same as the Pats game, they gifted us them goals.

4 games played and three scoreless draws for a team with title aspirations is beyond poor. Not optimistic about friday either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

AgileMyth wrote: »

It was a penalty. To say it was never a penalty is biased IMO. 50/50 at worst. Stupid collision by the Sligo player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

SantryRed wrote: »
    It was a penalty. To say it was never a penalty is biased IMO. 50/50 at worst. Stupid collision by the Sligo player.

Agreed, only saw it on MNS and from watching it wouldn't have been too unhappy if the pen was given. No need for the touch at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

He was going nowhere. He waits for a touch and hits the floor. Never a penalty.

Not that it matters with a sub to make and Ciaran Kelly on the bench.

Advertisement