Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arthritis in 9 year old male rottie

• 20-03-2013 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

I have been looking at older threads about the different types of treatment for arthritis and have already changed his food and am giving him salmon oil. But I also saw a few mentions about a ''bioflow collar ''.Does anyone have any info/feedback? They don't seem to be too expensive online and I would like to try it. Also if anyone knows where to buy them in Ireland I would really appreciate it. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Changing his food and giving fish oil supplements are probably the best that you can do.

Regarding the Bioflow collar; it probably won't do any harm, but there is no evidence that magnets have any kind of effect on ailments such as arthritis, so it may well be a waste of money. You could buy some magnets and attach them to his current collar for a fraction of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭GalwayGirl00

That is a great idea about buying the magnets. For some reason I thought they were ''special super duper'' magnets in these bioflow collars!:rolleyes:

Magnets actually do nothing beyond a placebo effect. If you got one of those collars you'd probably think it was helping, but it would really be the food, supplements, and general loving care that you're giving him.

Think about it; if a common neodymium magnet could influence the iron in your blood, or whatever they claim, then the whopping great electromagnets in MRI machines should be able to rip the iron from your body, or would be a cure for all ills, or at least do something to you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

kylith wrote: »
    Magnets actually do nothing beyond a placebo effect. If you got one of those collars you'd probably think it was helping, but it would really be the food, supplements, and general loving care that you're giving him.

Think about it; if a common neodymium magnet could influence the iron in your blood, or whatever they claim, then the whopping great electromagnets in MRI machines should be able to rip the iron from your body, or would be a cure for all ills, or at least do something to you.
    But this is a magical magnet blessed by the fairies, the cosmic spirits and the unicorns of Atlantis!

Nody wrote: »
    But this is a magical magnet blessed by the fairies, the cosmic spirits and the unicorns of Atlantis!

Godsdamn those frakking Atlantan unicorns!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

This thread reminds me of a story of a dog dying with arthritis....his owner use to take him into the sea, when the temp would be warm...to ease the pain some bit for the dog...this might make you cry...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2186373/Pictured-The-heart-melting-moment-man-lulls-arthritic-dog-sleep-lake.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

A glucosamine/chondroitin supplement is also working wonders for my oldie. (She's coming up on 11.) How do I know this? Whenever I take her off the supplement to give her a resting period from it, she's more inclined to lameness.

Apple cider vinegar is also thought to help and has other benefits. My girls get a spoonful a day on their food and the shine on their coats is unreal!

They're on Omega3 fish oil capsules too and vitamin E, for absorption.

But tis all for naught if you're not feeding a good quality diet with good animal protein in it, ideally fresh, such as chicken, eggs or fish. You can always supplement a dry food diet with eggs, tinned fish, chicken leftovers, etc.

Oh, before I forget - great info here: http://www.dogaware.com/health/arthritissupps.html

Advertisement