Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there any ''Real Culchies or Muckers'' Left ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 hare

Why have they all got hairy ears .youd think some of them oul boys were growing turf in their ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Ah now leds ya can't be doin that now, ya caaan't be doin that sure tis in de bouk! tis in de bouk! ye can't be goin down de road with yer ponyrat and shlowin down de bus men

Good man PJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

103 laughing when jackeens think we only go to Dublin on the 8th of december

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Culchies are too busy dancing on top of moving horse-drawn carriages to be headin to the big shmoke on the 8th December

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I'm born and bred in the back arse of nowhere and never had to go to Dublin to buy anything. We've always had shops here. Why do you need to slag culchies? Why don't you slag the Dubs who relocated to the countryside during the boom?

the dulchies? where i live in arklow is known as little dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'm so glad I'm from the internet during threads like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

I think the whole conflict between Townies and Culchies can be distilled down to one fundamental distinction:

Do you prefer the smell of manure or the smell of urine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

104 = quoting 100 lines of bollocks, just to add one more line of bollocks. Thinks "netiquette" is something to do with fishing trawlers.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 moon_man

LizT wrote: »
    And you stand around saying stuff like
    "It's awful sad"
    "It was a happy release to him in the end"

" sure his brother was only berr-id a couple a months ago "

and most important

" who did he lave the place ta "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

andym1 wrote: »
    100+ Things Culchies Love
    32. Red diesel

Dunno when this list was compiled, diesel hasn't been dyed red in years...it's green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

105: Tip the postman!
    Thy shalt always tip the postman 20 quid (10 quid or tin of Roses in these recessionary times) at Christmas as your postman is great.

Townies never tip their postman, tight feckers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

I'm a total culchie. I always find it weird though when Dublin people say "culchie" like it's a bad thing. I love being from the country. I wouldn't change it for the world- and I say that as someone who actually really likes Dublin, and cities in general- but I especially like Dublin.

But I wouldn't swop being from the country and having a major appreciation and love for all things culchie for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

I'm a culchie, live in dublin and get slagged for it and I slag those junkies back just as hard.

Got a dublin bird too, as has my brother - stealin' them wimmin, ha!?

Culchiest I ever was was when I came home one day and as I pulled up in the back yard I saw the door to the car house was open (the car house is a shed with a carriage size door that once kept the horse and cart - before our time kids)

Hanging from a rafter was a Deer by the hind hoofs - dead thankfully. Went in to task the aul man where he had come from and he said that one of his friends had shot it as it was on his land and he was afraid of TB cos of a recent outbreak etc.

And for some reason he brought him to our house, probably cos we have big sheds (big tractor too).

They called another friend who had experience in skinning deer that he gained at 17 when he helped his father and uncle. The man was 74 when they called him but he called over to help.

Hilarity ensued - you would think it was barbaric if it wasn't so natural - culchiest moment of my life.

Saved 5 1/2 vealy chops from the episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Kichote

Hows she cuttin OP?

Im culching it out big time here in the back of the beyonds. Cant bate it. At festivals and fleaths and fairs if the craic is good you'll find me there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Culchie towns, where you can drop a nuke in the Main Street and cause 23 euro worth of damage. An insatiable appetite for wanting to know everything about you. Horrible, horrible trait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I got called "a culchie" a couple of times on Sunday, in the Capital ( all female ) when they heard my accent. Now, my accent could easily be mistaken for a Galway accent which is also a city. I'm sure people neighboring Belfast and Cork have also suffered similar.
    Are these people so stupid and stuck up that they think Dublin is the only city in Ireland? They should hear themselves "fooookin culchieees".

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

D'unbelievables ARE the best comedy act ever.

I have no problem with culchies, my wife is one, but I'm afraid this sort of carry on is inexcusable. Haemorrhoids are funnier.
    ColeTrain wrote: »
    I got called "a culchie" a couple of times on Sunday, in the Capital ( all female ) when they heard my accent. Now, my accent could easily be mistaken for a Galway accent which is also a city. I'm sure people neighboring Belfast and Cork have also suffered similar.
    Are these people so stupid and stuck up that they think Dublin is the only city in Ireland? They should hear themselves "fooookin culchieees".

Ah, you see the mistake you're making is thinking that a culchie is from outside an urban area. To us, a person from anywhere outside of Dublin, is a culchie. That they come from a city is irrelevant. It's nothing to do with being stupid or stuck up, but rather your misunderstanding of what Dubs class as culchies.

Unfortunately where the problems start is when a) somebody gets over-sensitive about being called a culchie; or b) when somebody is a being total dick because somebody from outside Dublin has spoken to them or utters something in their earshot. It's like the Dublin northside/southside thing, it's a bit of craic if it's not taken seriously, but some people just don't know when to give it a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

D'unbelievables ARE the best comedy act ever. Tis only Dubs that don't understand them.

I'm from the Midlands and I hate D'unbelievables. They're seriously unfunny.

Zaph wrote: »
    Ah, you see the mistake you're making is thinking that a culchie is from outside an urban area. To us, a person from anywhere outside of Dublin, is a culchie. That they come from a city is irrelevant. It's nothing to do with being stupid or stuck up, but rather your misunderstanding of what Dubs class as culchies.

Unfortunately where the problems start is when a) somebody gets over-sensitive about being called a culchie; or b) when somebody is a being total dick because somebody from outside Dublin has spoken to them or utters something in their earshot. It's like the Dublin northside/southside thing, it's a bit of craic if it's not taken seriously, but some people just don't know when to give it a rest.

Nope no mistake mate. What I was getting at is why you think everyone outside of Dublin is a "culchie". I'm sure you'd be bemused if a Belfast person called you a culchie!

FWIT, It doesn't bother me. I have cousins in Dublin and used to spend time there during the summer when I was young - of course I was called a culchie by every kid on the estate, so I am well used to it. Like you said, 90% of the time it's just used for a bit of craic. It's amusing when someone is trying to genuinely insult you with the word but that rarely happens.

Nope no mistake mate. What I was getting at is why you think everyone outside of Dublin is a "culchie".

I think that you're using the term culchie as someone from a rural area, whereas a Dublin person doesn't make that distinction, you're either a Dub or a culchie. There isn't any differentiation made between someone from Cork city (like my wife), or someone from the arse end of Galway, they're all culchies to us. It's probably due to the heroin addling our brains so much that we can't think beyond two categories. :D
    I'm sure you'd be bemused if a Belfast person called you a culchie!

Absolutely, because I'm from Dublin. Oddly enough, we tend not to call people from Northern Ireland culchies. Not sure why that is because they clearly are!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

mikemac1 wrote: »
    105: Tip the postman!
    Thy shalt always tip the postman 20 quid (10 quid or tin of Roses in these recessionary times) at Christmas as your postman is great.

Townies never tip their postman, tight feckers

My mam is from Dublin and she tips the milk man and the postman!

I Love a good culchie, something really attractive about a farmer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

What I was getting at is why you think everyone outside of Dublin is a "culchie".

From my own experiences I find that a lot Dubliners consider Dublin to be the only real city-city in the Republic - the rest are just towns. I've come across this attitude a lot. I'm not saying it's my opinion as I've never been to Cork but I definitely wouldn't consider the likes of Galway a city. Make no mistake it's a lovely place but it just feels much more like a town compared to the streets of Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭The Barefoot Pizza Thief

I have no problem with culchies, my wife is one, but I'm afraid this sort of carry on is inexcusable. Haemorrhoids are funnier.
    LizT wrote: »
    I'm from the Midlands and I hate D'unbelievables. They're seriously unfunny.
    Jaysus, that's a touch harsh.

Know they can be a bit hit and miss at times but I've found a fair few of their skits to be up there with the very best of Irish comedy.

I've absolutely no idea what D'unbelievables are.

I think that you're using the term culchie as someone from a rural area, whereas a Dublin person doesn't make that distinction, you're either a Dub or a culchie. There isn't any differentiation made between someone from Cork city (like my wife), or someone from the arse end of Galway, they're all culchies to us. It's probably due to the heroin addling our brains so much that we can't think beyond two categories. :D

You Dubs seem to have a bit of a siege mentality going on? Maybe it's because you tend to leave your own county less than others would leave theirs? I really don't know what it's about.
    Absolutely, because I'm from Dublin. Oddly enough, we tend not to call people from Northern Ireland culchies. Not sure why that is because they clearly are!

Fked if I know :)

You Dubs seem to have a bit of a siege mentality going on? Maybe it's because you tend to leave your own county less than others would leave theirs? I really don't know what it's about.

Nah, it's because there's 31 other counties ganging up on us. :D

From my own experiences I find that a lot Dubliners consider Dublin to be the only real city-city in the Republic - the rest are just towns. I've come across this attitude a lot. I'm not saying it's my opinion as I've never been to Cork but I definitely wouldn't consider the likes of Galway a city. Make no mistake it's a lovely place but it just feels much more like a town compared to the streets of Dublin.

There might be something to that but at the end of the day Dublin is hardly a massive city either. A Londoner would laugh at us all.

Nah, it's because there's 31 other counties ganging up on us. :D

The heroin is making you all paranoid :D

I've absolutely no idea what D'unbelievables are.

That fat ejiet Pat Short ( guy from that 1890 An Post ad ) and Jon Kenny had a comedy duet going. It was funny at first but it's well past it's sell by date now. It's actually quite sad to see Pat Short try to cling onto it now and it's pathetic that RTE continue to give him air time.

That fat ejiet Pat Short

I hate it already :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Hi you doin ;)...in a joey tribeany voice

Us culchie farm shtock, when we say TIP or TIPPING we mean it in a different way, so maybe best change that sentence!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Auntie Psychotic

Can't bate the smell of cow ****e of a man in the mornin, especially a man with his own bitta land with road frontage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Can't bate the smell of cow ****e of a man in the mornin, especially a man with his own bitta land with road frontage!

Or the faint odour of silage, even after he has washed. Love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Its the 454th largest city in the world....hardly a major international metropolis......

http://www.mongabay.com/cities_pop_01.htm

lol :D a population list er, yeah ok :D

major enough to be ranked as an alpha city and still in the top 30 you must have missed that part not bad for being the 454th largest city in the world a credit to the people of Dublin who make the city work.
    http://www.creativedublinalliance.ie/projects/dublin-city-indicators-and-benchmarking/

ranked 35 in the world in the Mercer survey quality of living ranked above London...
    http://m.mercer.com/press-releases/1173105?detail=D

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭md23040

I don't like these arbitrary categories but there's a big gombeen of a culchie on RTE every Saturday Night in a TV show called, believe it or not "The Saturday Night Show"

If you want proof then tune in after the news.

• Site Banned Posts: 194 ✭✭andym1

moon_man wrote: »
    101= going to the funeral of someone you never once spoke to but who once mowed hay for your grandfather in the fifties
    102= Talking outside after mass :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This and I'd draw a tighter line on the Pale than most. Oh and if your parents are culchies I'm watching you closely... :D
    There isn't any differentiation made between someone from Cork city (like my wife)
    Mixed marriage.
    +1000. It's even possible to mix those two states. Mate of mine is from Kildare. Another mate noted when ales were taken that he lives near the upper reaches of the Liffey. He also noted he lives on the north of said river. A culshie northsider. Double whammy right there. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I actually think being called a culchie is a compliment - it's a good thing - especially when it your are being called a culchie because you are not a jackeen - how good is that. Bring it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

ill show you the bull:D

only if shes got land boys

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I actually think being called a culchie is a compliment - it's a good thing - especially when it your are being called a culchie because you are not a jackeen - how good is that. Bring it on.
    Feckin culchies with their logic *shakes fist* :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Wibbs wrote: »
    Mixed marriage.

More like care in the community, mixed marriage would be Cork/Kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

md23040 wrote: »
    I don't like these arbitrary categories but there's a big gombeen of a culchie on RTE every Saturday Night in a TV show called, believe it or not "The Saturday Night Show"

If you want proof then tune in after the news.

He's a townie (and a langer)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭md23040

There might be something to that but at the end of the day Dublin is hardly a massive city either. A Londoner would laugh at us all.

To me Dublin would be categorised as a small enough place and even London shrinking by comparison to other world cities. In my opinion although classed as an alpha minus city, Dublin should be looking to up its stakes through rapid population expansion to somewhere in the region of 6-8 million, and look something like this, in a more compacted way (inside M25 overlayered beside Dublin).

http://i50.tinypic.com/24qvnrk.jpg

The lower population tax base makes it extremely difficult for a country with little natural resources and low population density to pay for itself and alpha plus super cities is where it’s at, and having one would swallow up loads of those god awful satellite commuter towns and mulchies along with it .

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Dublin a world city!!! LOL to the point of choking. At best it's a big fish in a very,very small pond. It's mostly just an insecurity, like when you see a lame kid disowning the other lamo's, trying to fit in with the cool kids.

I lived in Chicago,Rotterdam and Stockholm, all bigger than Dublin,yet none of the same attitude. That said, I will enjoy a pint of stout there tonight,lord knows, they do make good porter.I just hope the natives aren't looking for spare change like the last time I visited.

And quit the whole rhyming slang thing too, you're not cockneys ,however much you pine for the good old days of the Union ; )

More like care in the community, mixed marriage would be Cork/Kerry
    My mates parents are like that. Probably escaped to Dublin to avoid the public stoning. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Wibbs wrote: »
    My mates parents are like that. Probably escaped to Dublin to avoid the public stoning. :D

give us our fair dues, we aint living in the shtone age anymore, we got those new fangled guillotines for traiters these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

give us our fair dues, we aint living in the shtone age anymore, we got those new fangled guillotines for traiters these days

Yeah but you can't beat a good stoning:D

Mind you the offspring of these outrages having to live in Dublin, explains everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I think the OP has a point to an extent. We're all being affected by globalisation and edging (for the most part) towards a more homogenous culture. Light-years away from a "world-culture" but still, we share a lot more with boys and girls in Rome, New York, Rio, Madrid than we ever had.

Same thing happening in Ireland, to an extent, more of a shared culture. Started with the late late show! Fewer people completed isolated from the rest of us so fewer and fewer culchies.

I'm a city boy (not Dublin) who now lives in a very small country village with a wife who was born there but spent decades abroad in a much bigger city. Few classic culchies (and I use that word affectionately) still around but getting greyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Culchie is by definition, someone who is uncomplicated, narrow minded, unsophisticated, irish and at the crux of it; a simple person who prefers ham sammidges over a cooked, ethnic meal.

Culchie is a state of mind. It can be someone from the backarse of clare or someone from pearse street, dublin.

It's about being 'local'.

It's about being Gaa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

At the last census there were 57 Healy-Raes in the township of Kenmare

Viva Las Culchies

• Advertisement
Advertisement