Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trap / FAI Communication

• 20-03-2013 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭

Regardless of the merits of Kevin Doyles inclusion in the squad, does this latest episode in the Trap saga indicate what weve guessed all along.

Trap does not have a clue how to communicate effectively with a team. Is it Trap ? Is it his management team ? Is it the FAI ?

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/transcript-marco-tardelli-defends-decision-to-drop-kevin-doyle-by-text-838560-Mar2013/

Is sending texts to international players the accepted way to exclude someone from a squad? or is it just utter madness that should be excluded to someones sunday astro league ?

Personally i think its a big reflection on all the previous incidents that we have only been given sparse facts on. Trap cant or wont communicate effectively with the squad and thats a huge requirement in the modern game.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

It just seems to be getting worse and worse. Its a damning reflection of Trapattoni's abilities and man-management skills over the past two years ... which is a shame considering what a well established manager he really was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

All seems extremely unprofessional.

SMS is not an official channel. Its like monty skit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Not trying stick the boot in but it should really be handled better.

While Trapp doesnt have the best grasp of the English language it cant be hard to ring a guy up and explain he's not been picked this time around.

It's more persoanl then a txt message.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

"Hey Doylez, sry but ur not goin with uz. LOL. Cya l8r...maybe? LOL. Trap"

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Not trying stick the boot in but it should really be handled better.

While Trapp doesnt have the best grasp of the English language it cant be hard to ring a guy up and explain he's not been picked this time around.

It's more persoanl then a txt message.

That, or get someone official on the FAI staff to perform the duty. A phone call surely is the appropriate way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

For me its the final straw how it was handled with a player who is honest, gives his all and never seems to cause issue around the camp. Its just a disgrace.

Probably more annoying that he is replaced by a mediocre player who is so far beyond his level at international football its borderline embarressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

"Hey Doylez, sry but ur not goin with uz. LOL. Cya l8r...maybe? LOL. Trap"

:P

Knowing Trap it'd be more like

"Hi Doyle. Unfortunately the going you cannot be with us, work keeping hard and see we then. Ciao"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

When you have top class players like Paul Green you don't need communication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Soups123 wrote: »
    For me its the final straw how it was handled with a player who is honest, gives his all and never seems to cause issue around the camp.

not just that.

he's openly supported Trap in the past.

and he's been demoted by Conor Sammon.

Conor fúcking Sammon.

farce.

he'll go and score the winner now just to show me up, but the whole thing is nonsensical from beginning to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Corholio wrote: »
    Knowing Trap it'd be more like

"Hi Doyle. Unfortunately the going you cannot be with us, work keeping hard and see we then. Ciao"

Doyle, you no personality anymore. no enthusmo. Get some enthusmo

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    That, or get someone official on the FAI staff to perform the duty. A phone call surely is the appropriate way.

It should be a phone call, I agree with you, if its not Trapp then Tardelli should do it on behalf of Trap, he's got better English then Trapp or so it seems.

Hes probably got a free txts package and doesnt want to waste his credit on calls, thats it surely.

Or he could have got Manuela to make the call and just pretend she was translating for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

He couldn't give a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

All the more surprising given his age, he would of been brought up to give bad news the old fashioned way, unlike whippersnappers like myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Surprised a pigeon didn't arrive at Molineaux to break the news to Doyle :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Trap will be gone soon Sweden will beat us and its curtains for our campaign.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

S28382 wrote: »
    Trap will be gone soon Sweden will beat us and its curtains for our campaign.:(

I think we've missed the boat on firing Trap for this campaign if that boat was ever fit to sail. Even if it's financially viable to cut losses and pay him off, there's still the question of a replacement able to take the team forward and the best candidate may not be immediately available or obvious. On top of that, taking the helm of a punch drunk team with ebbing morale and no hope of qualification mightn't be the most tempting prospect and would the FAI have enough cash in the bank to negate that notion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Trap really is a disgraceful character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Meh, if he got someone from the FAI to ring up then the papers would be full of stories of how Trap isn't decent enough to do the communication himself.

Text message is perfectly fine imo if its explains the situation and has the standard clauses about 'remaining in future plans' etc.

Ultimately it would be a non-issue if the team is doing well. If the team is doing badly then Trapp personally turning up in the FAI helicopter to deliver a bunch of flowers and a consoling word to dropped players will be spun negatively.

• Advertisement

Meh, if he got someone from the FAI to ring up then the papers would be full of stories of how Trap isn't decent enough to do the communication himself.

Text message is perfectly fine imo if its explains the situation and has the standard clauses about 'remaining in future plans' etc.

Ultimately it would be a non-issue if the team is doing well. If the team is doing badly then Trapp personally turning up in the FAI helicopter to deliver a bunch of flowers and a consoling word to dropped players will be spun negatively.
    Alternatively he could just ring him himself....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

this has nothing to do with Trap to be honest, i doubt him or any manager handles travel arrangements.

i am pretty sure, that all communication is done via text and this is no different. player would get text/email confirmation of their flight for reference.

only difference here, is Doyle is not used to being left out and perhaps is his first time being involved in this process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

CSF wrote: »
    Alternatively he could just ring him himself....

Yes, or text. Either is fine.
    Personally I prefer people to text me and allow me to read the message at my leisure, rather than an intrusive phone call when I'm cooking or watching TV.

But he's letting the players know via a perfectly acceptable communication method.

this has nothing to do with Trap to be honest, i doubt him or any manager handles travel arrangements.

i am pretty sure, that all communication is done via text and this is no different. player would get text/email confirmation of their flight for reference.

only difference here, is Doyle is not used to being left out and perhaps is his first time being involved in this process.
    It's respectful of a manager to ring a player and let him know he is being dropped in advance and explain why. It's these little shows of respect for the effort put in by the likes of Doyle (and my god from Doyle there has been plenty) that go a long way towards helping a manager keep the dressing room.

Yes, or text. Either is fine.
    Personally I prefer people to text me and allow me to read the message at my leisure, rather than an intrusive phone call when I'm cooking or watching TV.

But he's letting the players know via a perfectly acceptable communication method.
    It's not fine, it's disrespectful. Doyle has put in enough effort for this country to deserve 5 or 10 minutes of Trap's precious time. I mean what exactly is Trap so busy doing?

It's respectful of a manager to ring a player and let him know he is being dropped in advance and explain why. It's these little shows of respect for the effort put in by the likes of Doyle (and my god from Doyle there has been plenty) that go a long way towards helping a manager keep the dressing room.

why didnt Doyle ring him, himself if he had an issue? Doyle putting it into the public is as bad, but as i said, i doubt Trappa has anything to do with squad arrangements and this is no different.

id be surprised if many international managers speak to their players, especially those on the fringes of the squad, that often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Strange he or any other player doesn't seem to be bothered when they are selected by text

why didnt Doyle ring him, himself if he had an issue? Doyle putting it into the public is as bad, but as i said, i doubt Trappa has anything to do with squad arrangements and this is no different.

id be surprised if many international managers speak to their players, especially those on the fringes of the squad, that often.
    You would be surprised then, because it is very common. It's the done thing in football at all levels, even at club level the managers will let senior players know in advance if they've been dropped for a big game.

As for Doyle, I've seen no interviews from him criticising Trap as of yet. I'd imagine he's silently disgusted and has lost alot of trust for Trap.

Doyle has never been on the fringes until now, I dont expect every player to get a call but one that has been in every squad nearly the passed few years who is always committed who has been dropped for Conor f**kin Sammon, then its the least he deserves.

Doyle is usually mild mannered, relaxed and a team player so I am sure him coming out on this shows just how p'd off he is and how s**t it is from Trap

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

It must be hard to keep track of all the players, making direct phone contact to speak with them must be hard enough so I am thinking Text is the normal communication channel.

however if a player is left out after they were in a provisional sqad they deserve a follow up from the management team not just a text. The initial text sounds fair enough but follow up is needed to speak and explain things properly.

micks wrote: »
    Strange he or any other player doesn't seem to be bothered when they are selected by text
    It's not the same thing. A great servant to this country like Doyle is entitled to a quick phone call explaining Trap's decision.

Put yourself in Doyle's shoes for a moment and ask yourself would you like to be notified that you wont be in the squad via text message? A fooking text message like, cant wait for this oul codger to fcuk off back home to Italy!!

Doyle is a player who has been true professional for Club and Country. Always gives 100% so the lad deserved at least a call.

Bad form from Trap, but sadly not surprised.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I don't think the news would have been well received no matter how it was communicated. Doyle shouldn't have been dropped.

The FAI were right to renegotiate his contract when we qualified for the Euro's. Unfortunately if this qualification goes tits up between Friday and Tuesday, we probably will have Trap in charge until the end of the campaign. There's a couple of reasons for this, if Trap is paid off, the incumbent probably wouldn't be paid a good wage which could lead to needing an interim manager so for the next qualifiers we're still starting off with a new manager anyway. The FAI can still look for a new manager while Trap is still in charge and put him in when Trap's contract is finished.

Of course there's the possibility Trap will communicate his ideas effectively and win against Sweden and Austria.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Put yourself in Doyle's shoes for a moment and ask yourself would you like to be notified that you wont be in the squad via text message? A fooking text message like, cant wait for this oul codger to fcuk off back home to Italy!!

do you honestly think that every player in the world is rung to make them aware of travel arrangements? any team ive ever been involved in, has had all communication done via text. no matter what the level, this is applied in alot of set ups.

come off it ffs, id be pretty sure that communication is done via text for most things. this was simple, he was told not to travel.

of course Trap could have rang him, but its not the big scandle that people say.

• Advertisement

do you honestly think that every player in the world is rung to make them aware of travel arrangements? any team ive ever been involved in, has had all communication done via text. no matter what the level, this is applied in alot of set ups.
    You've clearly completely missed the point. Either that or got it and ignored it anyway.

come off it ffs, id be pretty sure that communication is done via text for most things. this was simple, he was told not to travel.

of course Trap could have rang him, but its not the big scandle that people say.

I find it very hard to believe any international manager notifies a player that has served his Country so loyally that he is not in his upcoming plans via text message. You would expect it from a sunday league manager but not at this level. Imagine the uproar if Roy Hodgson was to drop Frank Lampard and notify him by text message.

You've clearly completely missed the point. Either that or got it and ignored it anyway.

the point is clear here as always, that any reason to slag the FAI/international set up, brings out certain people.

Doyle was treated no differently to anybody else, he just was not used to being omitted AND he should have kept his mouth shut. he could be called up to the squad tomorrow or saturday for all we know.

the point is clear here as always, that any reason to slag the FAI/international set up, brings out certain people.

Doyle was treated no differently to anybody else, he just was not used to being omitted AND he should have kept his mouth shut. he could be called up to the squad tomorrow or saturday for all we know.
    Well if we're not going to offer loyalty to our players (not a guaranteed place in the squad, but at least a token phonecall for a man who has 53 caps for this country) then we have no right to expect any back in return.

Doyle is a model pro and a loyal servant to this country, who has made the most of very limited talent and deserves way better than this.

Doyle is a model pro and a loyal servant to this country, who has made the most of very limited talent and deserves way better than this.

and you are sure he is being treated any differently to others who are not included also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Maybe he did try and ring him and couldn't get him on the phone so used the text instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Im just fcukin done with all the Trap crap ... Ive had enough.

and you are sure he is being treated any differently to others who are not included also?
    You can't compare Kevin Doyle to someone who hasn't earned a nailed down place in the squad for the last 7 years.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Maybe he did try and ring him and couldn't get him on the phone so used the text instead?
    'Hi Kevin, Giovanni here, tried to ring you there, couldn't get through, could you give me a shout when you're available please?' BEEP.

'Hi Kevin, Giovanni here, tried to ring you there, couldn't get through, could you give me a shout when you're available please?' BEEP.
    Has Kevin Doyle got voicemail?

Has Kevin Doyle got voicemail?
    Most professionals of any description do yes. And Kevin Doyle is a model professional. Why are you going in this direction anyway when you're clearly well aware that Trap just wasn't arsed ringing him?

Most professionals of any description do yes. And Kevin Doyle is a model professional. Why are you going in this direction anyway when you're clearly well aware that Trap just wasn't arsed ringing him?
    How would I know that Trap wasn't 'arsed'? How would I know that Kevin Doyle has voicemail or that there wasn't an attempt made to get in contact with him before a text was sent?

How would I know that Trap wasn't 'arsed'? How would I know that Kevin Doyle has voicemail or that there wasn't an attempt made to get in contact with him before a text was sent?
    Because Trap has history in this respect.

Because Trap has history in this respect.

You're spot on.

I mean in a fairness Kevin Doyle is not a type to complain. He hasn't done it for club or Country before so why now?

He is not first player to be treated with little respect from Trap and FAI.

We are becoming a circus. A circus that is no better then the 60's when we were also a joke.

Managers call players and give their reasons for dropping a player.

It happens in every country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Trap in not communicating well with, well, people in general shocker!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement