Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling a booking with a B&B

Options
  • 20-03-2013 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I recently had to cancel a booking at 6pm on the evening i was going to stay in a B&B due to unforeseen circumstances. The people that owned the B&B have only my name and email address and phone number. They did not ask for a deposit or credit card details when i booked. They are calling and emailing me now to pay the full amount for the night. I looked on their website and they have no cancellation policy or cancellation fee. My question is should i pay this or have i the right not to pay it if they have no cancellation policy on their website. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes you should pay. They held the room for you, if you arrived that night and they told you they sold your room, you'd expect them to pay to put your up somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Of course you should pay. But you probably already know this. They may have refused a booking for the room earlier in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

My question is should i pay this

Yes
    have i the right not to pay it if they have no cancellation policy on their website.

Yes, you have the 'right' to do so if you want to get legal about it.

However they kept the reservation for you and lost the use of that room for the night. The only way they could have let the room after 6 p.m. is if someone's car broke down late in the day and they needed a room at the last minute in that town. Nowadays that's a rare event.

Are we talking about a popular destination on a Saturday night or some one-horse town in the middle of the week i.e. how likely is it that they would have let out the room if you had cancelled earlier?

Given that you didn't sleep in the bed (so it didn't have to be made up nor the sheets cleaned the next day) and you didn't eat a breakfast, I'd make them an offer of half the overnight tariff, that will probably get them off your back.

Advertisement