Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motivation is at..0%

• 20-03-2013 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

I actually feel like crying today.

I have no motivation whatsoever to study and on top of that, I have to get about 480+ overall.
    I'd say I haven't studied properly in two weeks yet I have to finish pre's.
    I am struggling with geography investigation and have no idea how to tackle it at all.
    Feel like I have lost the plot completely.

Any one out there the same? Doubt it. Judging from the results of the mocks, yer all sorted and I'm rocking back and forth in the corner :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

I'm in the exact same position I have no motivation. I just lack concentration I'm distracted so easily. I need to get my points up another 100 points to get the course I want don't feel alone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Shtanto

Here, I wrote this on my FB page yesterday. It might help. Your situation is quite normal

"Acceptance of vulnerability is a key component of the human condition. We're all scared. Some of us put on a tough guy façade. I used to go with the crazy guy façade myself. I often make paper birds to symbolise human vulnerability. These in particular have to be made starting from rectangular paper, such that one side of them is always evidently torn to make the paper square. 1 edge is usually not neat and straight like the other 3. So it is with people. The first step is honesty, being able to accept who you are on your own terms. I fold cranes to remind myself that the flaws aren't important. What's important is unconditional acceptance of them as found in myself and others. So that's how I intend to go about the next few weeks."

Life is a living, not a reason. I'm doing my masters and it's the same story. Haven't a clue what assignments are due when. It'll might well be the same throughout college for you too. Besides, we've Easter break coming up. And regardless of what happens, you're still breathing. For the moment, that's all you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

I need about 480 as well, and have no motivition(as well). In the mocks I got near 400 points and I don't really know how to feel about it. Some tests were of bad quality, not to mention the correcting. Sometimes when I come home I throw my bag on the floor and pick it up the next morning. I know I should be studying, but just do other things, things I wouldn't do a couple of months ago. And when I get myself to study, I get distracted by parents or siblings. I guess I'm in a bit better position though as I have all my projects pretty much done.

I have no "wonder idea" to share, but you have to change something. Think about the end goal? Did you try making a study plan, and forcing yourself to fulfill it? Or ask parents for help? Usually to the c&g person can help too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Shtanto wrote: »
    Here, I wrote this on my FB page yesterday. It might help. Your situation is quite normal

"Acceptance of vulnerability is a key component of the human condition. We're all scared. Some of us put on a tough guy façade. I used to go with the crazy guy façade myself. I often make paper birds to symbolise human vulnerability. These in particular have to be made starting from rectangular paper, such that one side of them is always evidently torn to make the paper square. 1 edge is usually not neat and straight like the other 3. So it is with people. The first step is honesty, being able to accept who you are on your own terms. I fold cranes to remind myself that the flaws aren't important. What's important is unconditional acceptance of them as found in myself and others. So that's how I intend to go about the next few weeks."

Life is a living, not a reason. I'm doing my masters and it's the same story. Haven't a clue what assignments are due when. It'll might well be the same throughout college for you too. Besides, we've Easter break coming up. And regardless of what happens, you're still breathing. For the moment, that's all you need.

Id say you got your fair few likes for that gem ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

your motivation level is not at zero evidance of this that you feel like crying otherwise you wouldnt give a hoop you have the motivation what u need is detrmination

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

CatEyed92 wrote: »
    I actually feel like crying today.

I have no motivation whatsoever to study and on top of that, I have to get about 480+ overall.
    I'd say I haven't studied properly in two weeks yet I have to finish pre's.
    I am struggling with geography investigation and have no idea how to tackle it at all.
    Feel like I have lost the plot completely.

Any one out there the same? Doubt it. Judging from the results of the mocks, yer all sorted and I'm rocking back and forth in the corner :(
    Generally you'll find that the people who are happy with their results will post about them; those who aren't, won't. It doesn't actually mean that everyone who reads the forum did brilliantly in mocks.

A few thoughts:

- tackle one thing at a time rather than running lists of things you have to do in circles through your head; that uses up a lot of time and (surprisingly) a lot of energy as well

- set yourself small goals for getting back into studying, and try to complete them, rather than aiming for a big amorphous blob called "studying"

- set aside a few days over Easter that are completely study-free; put the books out of sight; if you meet your friends refuse to talk or think about LC; just have it as an "LC-free" period without stress or guilt

- try to eat *fairly* healthily, to get regular exercise and enough sleep. This helps both in the reduction of stress and improvement in concentration and focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

mixery wrote: »

I have no "wonder idea" to share, but you have to change something. Think about the end goal? Did you try making a study plan, and forcing yourself to fulfill it? Or ask parents for help? Usually to the c&g person can help too.

I did but never stuck to it at all! I made daily goals but they were probably unrealistic eg Unit 5 all in business! I also always end up writing notes for study but never study them. Like, I have them compiled for Biology for May and it helps me take it all in but other than that......
    I feel like I'm not gonna get the points. I have to or I'll be homeless !! (Dropped out of course last year - parents NOT happy)

I made a plan for Easter and April to make notes and revise. May, I'll prob revise and do all papers? Could that work??
    I've no languages thank the lord!

ahmdoda wrote: »
    your motivation level is not at zero evidence of this that you feel like crying otherwise you wouldn't give a hooT you have the motivation what u need is determination

It takes bravery to seek help. Your initial post here was a good first step. I'd guess that you haven't heard this one yet: www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI
    - tackle one thing at a time rather than running lists of things you have to do in circles through your head; that uses up a lot of time and (surprisingly) a lot of energy as well

- set yourself small goals for getting back into studying, and try to complete them, rather than aiming for a big amorphous blob called "studying"

- set aside a few days over Easter that are completely study-free; put the books out of sight; if you meet your friends refuse to talk or think about LC; just have it as an "LC-free" period without stress or guilt

- try to eat *fairly* healthily, to get regular exercise and enough sleep. This helps both in the reduction of stress and improvement in concentration and focus.

Good advice here. I remember the Leaving was the hardest exam set I ever did, harder than anything since, and I've been to UCD, DIT (twice), ITB and ITT. No exam I ever had to take on any of the courses was as difficult. It gets easier after this. Rather than set a goal to meet, try congratulating yourself for studying completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 herpaderp

Heh, I'm in the exact same boat. I think one of the best ways to start studying is, for me, to just get up randomly out of the blue, and start studying. Don't think about it, just do it. The more I think about doing something, the less I'm actually going to go and do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Just stumbled upon this thread from homepage. Bit of a rant as I'm bored but have a read if you refuse to study.

So, 2 years ago, I had been out of work for 2 years. Absolutely broke. My upcoming wedding I couldn't afford. No prospects of work, couldn't afford rent. Sat at home all day with nothing but a grim view of life. Then I got a job. I worked in a factory for 12 hour shifts. Got 2 10 min breaks and a 15 min break per day. 7pm to 7am for **** money. I had to lean over a plastic melting machine to put sponges on a conveyor belt 1 by 1 by 1 by 1. Over and over. Day after day. Back broken, dripping in sweat all to be able to save 20 euro a week to pay for a wedding 4 weeks later. I got solid depressed.

While in the canteen in the middle of the night all people would say is they wished they studied harder. Nobody ever argued against them. Almost everyone there would agree. Most would say they were living miserable lives all because they didn't bother. I thankfully studied (a tiny bit) and have a degree.

A week later I got a dream job, company car, shed load of money and great job. All because when I was sitting in your chair right now, I decided to spent a few hours for the next 10 weeks studying. But, if I hadn't, I gaurantee I would still be sitting in that canteen in the middle of the night wondering where I went wrong in life!

You can spend the next 50 years dossing!

• Advertisement

Feeling better yet? :)

Advertisement