Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI helping tourists?

Options
  • 20-03-2013 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

A middle aged Australian couple were in my local BOI branch today. They are on holidays and were running low on change. They went in to the local branch and presented a legal 500 euro note and asked could it be changed as that was all they had left for the remainder of their holidays.

The BOI official said that they would have to open an account before they could change the note. As they didn't have their utility bills with them, they were sent out of the friendly BOI branch.

A local shop changed the note for them.

Is BOI interested in helping tourism? Do BOI care about anything anymore?
    Do BOI not like Australians?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

There is no profit in changing a note. Bank of Ireland are interested in profit, not helping people.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭palmcut

ardmacha wrote: »
    There is no profit in changing a note. Bank of Ireland are interested in profit, not helping people.
    and look where that got them!
    They could have charged the tourists a fiver!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Changing large denomination notes is a hassle all around the world, especially if you walk into a bank or shop where you're not known.

OP, would you like to speculate as to exactly where the Aussies managed to get a €500 note?

Chances are it was a forgery since we don't even use €100 notes here.

BTW, it's only 'legal' if you present it in payment for a debt, nobody is obliged to change a €500 or any other note.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭jd80

The 'leading' Bank in the country could not check if a note was counterfeit or not?

The same bank that class a deceased's administration account as a business account - which means they charge you for amongst other things - making a deposit.

BOI and its staff have learned nothing from the banking crisis, absolutely nothing

coylemj wrote: »
    Changing large denomination notes is a hassle all around the world, especially if you walk into a bank or shop where you're not known.

OP, would you like to speculate as to exactly where the Aussies managed to get a €500 note?

Chances are it was a forgery since we don't even use €100 notes here.

BTW, it's only 'legal' if you present it in payment for a debt, nobody is obliged to change a €500 or any other note.
    I changed the note for the Australian couple. The note is not a forgery. I checked all the security features from watermarks to micro printing. The same bank accepted the note from me in my bank lodgement yesterday afternoon.
    The refusal of the Bank to change the note tarnished Ireland's reputation. The bank made no effort to oblige two tourists. Eventually the bank would have gained from the spending of the tourists. One hundred thousand welcomes! Friendly people!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi palmcut,

Thanks for taking the time to post.

We're sorry to hear of the recent situation in your local branch.

If you would like to send us a PM with the name of the branch, we would be happy to have this investigated for you.

Thanks

Linda

Hi palmcut,

Thanks for taking the time to post.

We're sorry to hear of the recent situation in your local branch.

If you would like to send us a PM with the name of the branch, we would be happy to have this investigated for you.

Thanks

Linda
    Hi Linda,
                 I did try to send you a PM; but the following message appeared, "BOI Linda has chosen not to receive PMs......"
    So I'll tell you here. The local branch involved was BOI Rathdrum, Co.Wicklow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi palmcut,

Thank you very much, we will forward your feedback on to the Rathdrum branch.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

palmcut wrote: »
    I changed the note for the Australian couple. The note is not a forgery. I checked all the security features from watermarks to micro printing. The same bank accepted the note from me in my bank lodgement yesterday afternoon.
    The refusal of the Bank to change the note tarnished Ireland's reputation. The bank made no effort to oblige two tourists. Eventually the bank would have gained from the spending of the tourists. One hundred thousand welcomes! Friendly people!
    Ireland's reputation is 'tarnished' - have you ever tried to change a 100 dollar bill in the US?

The bank accepted the note from you because if it turned out to be a forgery they would have debited your account, they couldn't do that with a tourist off the street who passed off a forgery.

There's probably more technology for detecting forged notes in your local McDonalds or Supermacs than in your local branch of AIB or BOI.

Advertisement