Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you do when you are hungover?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

lukesmom wrote: »
    Pint of water before bed
    Large coffee when I wake To wash down a Xanax.

Right as rain then. Always works 100%. I dont overdo it often but when I do the above is a miracle cure as I used to get horrendous hangovers.

Would the coffee not counteract the effects of the Xanax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

Personally, I just get up and go to work. After a bit it just feels normal.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Aphex wrote: »
    Would the coffee not counteract the effects of the Xanax?

You would think so as coffee is a stimulant. I think it just makes me more alert when I wake. It has been scientifically proven to be good for a hangover. The xanax gets rid of the 'head' part of the hangover, the anxiety and the shakes. Just chills me out, I suppose its the equivilant of people smoking a spliff. Once the head part is sorted out then I can handle anything else, but there is not normally sickness (unless I drink shots) as the water helps. I dunno but the coffee and xanax just help me sort the hangover and I'm good for the rest of the day, sleepy but good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

I just try to rehydrate as much as I can. I'm a pretty lean guy who's trying to build muscle, and one of the worst things you can do when trying to gain some mass is drink. As much as 70% of our bodies is apparently made up of water.

I usually just lie in bed all day, watching TV shows on my laptop.

Then, around 7pm I order a takeaway to get delivered.

I'm such a lazy slob, reading what I've written, it's quite sad really how I spend my weekends....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Wake with an awful headache.
    Drink about 2 pints of water, 2 neurofen and get a rather large bowl of porridge or cook some rashers.

Cold shower and into comfy pjs then
    back to bed and watch tv for most of the day.

Rise from bed at about 5 or 6, headache slighlty going at this stage, either order some food or head out with some fellow hungover friends for a good fatty feed and some ice cream :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

lukesmom wrote: »
    You would think so as coffee is a stimulant. I think it just makes me more alert when I wake. It has been scientifically proven to be good for a hangover. The xanax gets rid of the 'head' part of the hangover, the anxiety and the shakes. Just chills me out, I suppose its the equivilant of people smoking a spliff. Once the head part is sorted out then I can handle anything else, but there is not normally sickness (unless I drink shots) as the water helps. I dunno but the coffee and xanax just help me sort the hangover and I'm good for the rest of the day, sleepy but good.

In saying that, I'd normally be drinking a stimulant in the form of Lucozade anyway, so I suppose it's all the same.

I know exactly what you mean about the "head" part. I often have to take one the day after a rough night too. I didn't even know what a "proper" hangover felt like anymore when I was going through an anxiety period in my life. It was just a day of fighting off panic attacks to me lol. I'd take the head aches and sick stomach over anxiety any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

Lie in bed, with a bottle of water beside me, watching pirated movies all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Mostly I get up have some breakfast of eggs tea and paracetamol then get out of the house do some stuff and feel fine. But sometimes I get the headache from hell this fuker can last for 2 days, have to hide from light, noise the lot. Not good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I've taken to getting up and tidying while hungover lately. It needs doing and it's not like I'd be doing anything worthwhile with my time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I've recently been just staying in bed for the whole next day, I am getting old. Although I used to get up early enough drink a tonne of water & make a fry up or get a breakfast roll , pop some paracetamol and go back to sleep for a few hrs and wake up feeling brand new. Need to start doing that again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

Oh **** moments tend to sober me up and help my hangovers the most, I almost got hit by a bus the other day and weirdly felt much better afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 LuciusPax

I usually try and relax with some soothing music(Enya), if I'm able I'll usually indulge in a drop of camomile and peppermint tea and some lightly buttered melba toast.I'll recline in my room for some time perhaps working on my memoirs or some oil painting.Then I'll turn off the music and saunter down to the lavatory where I'll take a bowl shattering ****e that takes so long I start crying from frustration, this is followed by fits of vomiting before I eventually pass out from exhaustion.Usually I wake up when it's dark with my pants around my ankles and covered in melba peppermint puke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Close curtains.

Build fort from cushions.

Get into fort.

Cry ****.

Accept all greasy food handed into fort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

****, junk food and coke.

You are one hard cunt sir.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Don't get very hungover but I feel crap when I wake up sometimes.

I just eat a tin of beans, toast and waffles, or if there's a fry going, with a pint or two or milk, take a dump and I'm absolutely sorted for the day again!

Drinking water just destroys me for some reason and makes me want to get sick.

Must be the fluoride :pac:

Go to work usually.. Except for a Sunday when I lie around doing as little as possible until about 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

ponder and slowly recollect the previous night, answering the phone is out of the question, eat very fatty foods, and in bad cases, wonder where my life is going, watch sad songs on youtube and be constantly on the verge of tears for the day. turning 30 really screwed my hangover defences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

usually just buy more beer lol then realize its bright outside and it's my bedtime

ahhh, such is life

on a serious note I just ride it out, usually watch some "Let's plays" on youtube or the like all day in bed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Long hot bath, eat scrambled eggs and beans on toast, drink a cup of tea, walk the dog. If it's really bad, cup of fresh ginger tea with a bit of honey helps.

Normally it's a case of mind over matter for me. I really hate wasting my weekends but unfortunately closing time is 4am so it's sleep deprivation I'm battling. I need to self impose a curfew...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If I'm feeling flush, go for eggs benny and a bloody mary or two.

If not, nurofen plus, vitamins, water, food and lie on the couch.

And then obviously a cartoonishly large marijuana cigarette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

McDonald's strawberry milkshake is your only man for the cure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'm usually just tired, I rarely get a bad hangover. Sucks to be you lot! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

long lye in, movie, fast food

Depending on your proximity to one - I have found jumping naked into the nearest sea/ocean/large body of water is a great cure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

play xbox in bed all day with takeaway food and crisps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Fap, Food, Easy Watching Box Set, Fap, Food, Sleep.

You didn't pull the night before then? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

Wake up and sing along with a few Tom Waits songs while downing copious amounts of coffee.

The coffee restores lost fluid levels and contains caffeine (which prevents a headache). Tom Waits restores the soul.

After an hour of this I eat scrambled eggs on wholegrain toast and face the day.

Have a can of coke around three hours later. I don't normally drink the stuff, but the sugar and bubbles do wonders.

For lunch: proper food. Fried stuff tastes better, but your body needs the water soluble vitamins of veg, etc.

Around six/seven/eight PM have a pint/one or two glasses of wine as a cure along with dinner. Watch a film/comedy to take the mind off things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

shiver,moan, hug the toilet seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

I am going to drag myself out of bed and force myself to do a short run, see if that helps shake off the hangover.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 aherringterm

Shart the pants off myself and then eat something real good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Nicola20

I always think a burger/red meat will make me feel better but it always makes me feel worse. Ditto with the water, I always drink loads of water but it makes me feel so sick after.

Only things that have worked for me is forcing yourself to vom up whatever is in your tummy, and a cup of tea/coffee. Sometimes an ice pop is great too. I always think that I'd feel better if I went for a swim, but never actually make it that far...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I try sleep as much as possible to work off the main bulk of "roughness". That usually suceeds. For the rest of the day I watch tele but mostly spend it on the computer reading Twitter, YouTubing songs from the previous night. Have horrific flashbacks. Most of that is just killing time before the dinner which usually blasts the remnants of the hangover. I throw myself on the couch and by then I'm nearly all better. It's not until the sleep that night and then Monday morning I'm good to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

had to milk the cows there dying:(, havi a fag and a cuppa gona head to bed for an hour feelin sorry for meself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Can of coke does wonders. Will usually have a pint of mi wadi as well to rehydrate with a bit of flavour, and something carby. Then long hot shower as I usually feel like I'm sweating out the last night's alcohol. Nothing adds to your hangover than smelling Bulmers radiating out of your pores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

It's been a long time since I was hungover. Tea and toast. Then a hot shower and wash my hair (agree with last poster about the smell!). That's if I have to go to work. If I don't have to work, cup of tea and back to bed!

Advertisement