Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JCx

Consumer protection albeit boring comes up every year and is handy to learn...I'm not leaving it out. That being said, it is so hard to pick what to leave out when the questions can have so many topics mixed in!!

Anybody have more useful guidance?!

I still have mistake, misrep, exclusion clauses, remedies discharge and consumer protection to do.... Trying to narrow it down. Times not the better of iT.

I've only done the easy ones so far... Offer, acceptance.
    Consideration
    Undue influence
    Privity
    Capacity
    Intention to create legal relations...

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

Found someone's iPhone and handed it into security in the college .. I hope my good deed will help me pass contract tomorrow! ! So stressed ... :/ also a bird poopd on me yesterday! Really hope it's a good sign ! Getting desperate lol

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Kildaregal

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Lightbulb moment and suddenly I get it! Thanks Midlecat! Was getting frustrated!

Yep agree with middlecat...any promise made after the contract is made is unenforceable...cases which demonstrate this are roscorla v Thomas, re McArdle, law soc of Ireland v o'malley.....
    I'm hoping by writing this reply I will remember the cases in d exam quicker tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

What did people think of Property? Definitely a way trickier paper than in the past..full qs on extrinsic evidence, and propietary estoppel, no finding, no coownership, no mortgages ....wtf.

Had 3 fairly ok questions on succession, easments and AP...not excellent by any means and a page of rubbish on extrinsic evidence and a half page of even worse on estoppel.... FML.

I was struggling to remember in the exam if estoppel was even in the manual!

What did people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

I agree trickier paper than usual, I'm so f disheartened. Lucky for those who knew the topics well but even the ap and easements I was confusing myself. Got really bad mental block.....

Can anyone say from experience that they genuinely felt they failed property and passed it?! Like do all five questions have to be good standard ...I got three ok one **** and one bullet points of waffle :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭vickyplumx

dashdoll wrote: »
    What did people think of Property? Definitely a way trickier paper than in the past..full qs on extrinsic evidence, and propietary estoppel, no finding, no coownership, no mortgages ....wtf.

Had 3 fairly ok questions on succession, easments and AP...not excellent by any means and a page of rubbish on extrinsic evidence and a half page of even worse on estoppel.... FML.

What did people think?

Ap succession grand. My estoppel was ok...but sweet lord- contractual licences essay...wtf???

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭FE1 EXAMS 2013

What did people think?

It was a really awkward unpredictable paper! Proprietary estoppel and contractual licences are both under the same topic, can't believe she did two separate questions for each! Also no family property again wtf! I failed the last sitting and if I fail this I'll go cracked! Lol human mental torture this whole process!!!!
    Feel like I'm going stone crazy!

It was a really awkward unpredictable paper! Proprietary estoppel and contractual licences are both under the same topic, can't believe she did two separate questions for each! Also no family property again wtf! I failed the last sitting and if I fail this I'll go cracked! Lol human mental torture this whole process!!!!

It was horrible feel unfairly done by her questions were changed to diff format the last year and no A or B questions. It's unfair, wonder if the general failure rate is bad will they up a few marks for this.

Oh no, I really hope you get it this time...fingers crossed.

Do you mind me asking how many qs you did i in your last sitting? Guessing shes a tough marker to boot. :-(

Do you mind me asking how many qs you did i in your last sitting? Guessing shes a tough marker to boot. :-(

So mad the more I think about it...really lousy paper. I opened my city manual and have a note from lectures beside the chapter with estoppel saying no need no learn this....would never be asked in Propety...fml.

• Advertisement

Mileyt wrote: »
    It was horrible feel unfairly done by her questions were changed to diff format the last year and no A or B questions. It's unfair, wonder if the general failure rate is bad will they up a few marks for this.
    Yeah I really hope failure rate is bad! Got so confused with adverse possession and I spent ages on problem succession question! Really hope I did enough, I could only answer 4 last sitting, answered 5 today so hopefully I'll get the pass!
    If not, I give up!

I did 4 dash doll but that's not to say you can't pass with 4, I've read some crazy story's on this with people passing on 3 so it can be possible! I didn't have 4 strong questions 😪

Can't believe I have to study for contract now! FML

I did 4 dash doll but that's not to say you can't pass with 4, I've read some crazy story's on this with people passing on 3 so it can be possible! I didn't have 4 strong questions 😪

Best of luck with Contract!

Feel like Iv been run over! Only sitting 3 this time..had Company as my ghost one and probably didnt get today with 3 qs....will be totally devastated if I dont get the magic 3.

So hard to look to the remaining two exams when I dont think its possible to pass 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

I know I've said this a million times but last sitting I had around four questions for property and bullets. Three! And one bullet point half a question for criminal and as a result said I wasn't going into equity or contract. I went into equity with no revision bar what I had read in the weeks leading up to it attempted five questions and got 58 53 and 50 and never sat contract.

So believe me when I say it anything can happen. I nearly ruined my chances of passing by not sitting equity and I scraped it. All the same when I saw estoppel I thought someone made a mistake its so odd . it sounds like there will be a lot of people done over :(

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭vickyplumx

I thought family property was a sure thing. She lectured me in family law. Can't believe the two licences qs really. That was my if I'm really stuck topic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

Can anyone give me a brief sypnosis of the company paper and what topics arose? Hope everyone is doing well. Really is a vacuum of torture fe1 time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Haven't a notion how that went. Answered five questions, but no clue what standard is expected. If I'd done that exam in my undergrad I'd very happy enough, but I just don't know with these cause people keep reiterating how different they are from a law degree.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I just want to repeat the following in this thread just in case anyone might find it useful:

Moderator: can we please make sure to parse quotes properly. The logic is straightforward enough. Every time you open a quote tag, you close it.

E.g. [noparse]
    User23948 wrote:
    hullaballoo's a pedantic fcuker
    [/noparse]

will give you:
    User23948 wrote:

E.g. #2 [noparse]
    User98423 wrote:
    User23984 wrote:
    You're not wrong there!
    [/noparse]

will give you:
    User98423 wrote:
    User23984 wrote:
    You're not wrong there!

Broken quote tags really mess with the format and flow of discussion. If you've gotten it wrong, please edit it. If you see someone else has gotten it wrong either don't quote them or fix what's broken when you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭safc_pete

Jesus that paper was something. I learned off an essay for the Tenancy q so happy with that. Had a decent AP answer but ****ed myself for time on it. Two page answers for each of the succession questions and an outline for the estoppel q.

****ed myself for time in April too, Jesus I couldn't cope with having to do Property again. It's not the most complicated subject in the world but it's tedious as hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Bertie1986

What a ridiculous paper - so angry with the two questions from one topic (licences/estoppel), and no family property or finding!

This was my first FE1 so can anyone with experience in these exams please tell me if;

- 2 strong questions (Extrinsic Evidence and Residential Tenancies Act)
    - 2 ok problem questions - messed up application due to time (Succession and Adverse Possession) and
    - 1 rubbish half question on the systems of land registration (leaving out priorities and mirror principle due to time) would get me over the line on/at 50??

Shattered and major cramming needed for contract. May be my first all-nighter!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 livelovelaugh

First 'real' exam tomorrow and motivation is dwindling rapidly! Why don't I care right now?! Please assure me that I'm not the only one?! (Needy, much!)

Time pretty tight for me - did anyone get tips for contract they'd like to share? I know questions mixed but thinking of doing;

Offer acceptance consideration
    Privity
    Remedies
    Discharge
    Mistake
    Misrep
    Undue influence

Leaving consumer terms exclusion and the rest...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Aisling Parkes is officially going on my list of enemies after today! What a ridiculous paper! How can she ask whole questions on extrinsic evidence and contractual licences?! Also estoppel on a property paper? Handy if you happen to be sitting Equity too but I haven't studied that since the last sitting. I was happy with my problem Q's on AP and Succession. A decent bit of waffle for the essay's on extrinsic evidence and contractual licences but I included all the necessary case law. You had to flesh it out and then some to make up a 3+ page Q on them as there isn't really enough material in the manual to base a whole question on. Easement's was last Q. Wrote a decent bit on the right of way. Mentioned acquisition through necessity and S 6. Wasn't sure which was right so just mentioned both. Forgot to mention S3 for the right to light but I think I came to the right conclusion.

Sat my first 4 in April and Property was the only one I failed. I was happy with how that paper went on the day so fearing the worst with this one. Will be gutted if I have to do Property for a third time. It was my best subject in college and I actually like it. I am only sitting this and EU this sitting so I had plenty of time to prepare. I knew more than enough to pass which makes it all the more frustrating to be f**ked over by the examiner! :mad:

Midlecat wrote: »
    Time pretty tight for me - did anyone get tips for contract they'd like to share? I know questions mixed but thinking of doing;

Offer acceptance consideration
    Privity
    Remedies
    Discharge
    Mistake
    Misrep
    Undue influence

Leaving consumer terms exclusion and the rest...

I'm here at a loss as to what to cover next, are mistake and misrep time consuming?!

JCx wrote: »
    I'm here at a loss as to what to cover next, are mistake and misrep time consuming?!

Kind of. I read it this morning and can't even remember it now like even the basics.

So now I'm leaving manual alone. Ive taken a Griffith dodge essay for mistake, privity and misrepresentation (which I don't know where cases came from cos not in independent manual and it appears whoever wrote it was on drugs) and I will look at those.

I did notes last night for offer acceptance consideration and damages and breach. I will do those. I will leave undue influence and do in morning as still fresh from equity in march.

And that's that. Ill just do five in march can't face it anymore

Midlecat wrote: »
    Kind of. I read it this morning and can't even remember it now like even the basics.

So now I'm leaving manual alone. Ive taken a Griffith dodge essay for mistake, privity and misrepresentation (which I don't know where cases came from cos not in independent manual and it appears whoever wrote it was on drugs) and I will look at those.

I did notes last night for offer acceptance consideration and damages and breach. I will do those. I will leave undue influence and do in morning as still fresh from equity in march.

And that's that. Ill just do five in march can't face it anymore

Breach is the only part you did for discharge?

Word. I'm definitely the same. The more I do now the more I forfeit for quality of knowing the stuff.... My head is fried!

JCx wrote: »
    Breach is the only part you did for discharge?

Word. I'm definitely the same. The more I do now the more I forfeit for quality of knowing the stuff.... My head is fried!

Yea there really is too much volume if he's going mixing questions . all very well and good it was done in college so no problem. What's an issue I suppose is that the essay questions could relate to a page or two or in some cases half a page in manual and then a broad overview is no good. I'm taking a break til six and I'll decide what to do then. Getting bus in morning to Dublin so might back out I'll see Lol after all my positivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dandadub

How does everyone prepare for the constitutional law exam??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

Well this is going to be fun. Haven't looked at contract since Friday was concentrating on company and then property. I just couldn't face into it when I got home today. Another all nighter ahead

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement