Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JCx

Bayley1 wrote: »
    Well this is going to be fun. Haven't looked at contract since Friday was concentrating on company and then property. I just couldn't face into it when I got home today. Another all nighter ahead

I've hit the wall! The worry for not covering enough had me in a mess so I just cut my losses. Now to try get 12 topics learned by 9.30am..... These exams are nothing but sheer importance and the odd mix up over Mistake haha

I'm hoping to at least get three good q's but the mixing of topics has the absolute fear put into me

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

Well this is going to be fun. Haven't looked at contract since Friday was concentrating on company and then property. I just couldn't face into it when I got home today. Another all nighter ahead

I'm the same. I don't know where to start. I've a few bits read here and there. Debating not going up at all as it is relatively pointless at this stage bar getting the experience of sitting it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

JCx wrote: »
    I've hit the wall! The worry for not covering enough had me in a mess so I just cut my losses. Now to try get 12 topics learned by 9.30am..... These exams are nothing but sheer importance and the odd mix up over Mistake haha

I'm hoping to at least get three good q's but the mixing of topics has the absolute fear put into me

Just going through my stuff I have tonnes of notes written if only they were in my head. My main problem is case names I can never remember them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Midlecat wrote: »
    I'm the same. I don't know where to start. I've a few bits read here and there. Debating not going up at all as it is relatively pointless at this stage bar getting the experience of sitting it again.
    Heed your own advice Midlecat! You never know with these! Keep the heads people! If you stress nothing will go in and a little about everything is better than a lot about some things. Or so I've found! Good luck!

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Heed your own advice Midlecat! You never know with these! Keep the heads people! If you stress nothing will go in and a little about everything is better than a lot about some things. Or so I've found! Good luck!

Thanks sure I may as well I've paid for the bus may as well get my day out. :)

Good luck everybody.

• Advertisement

Time for bed...I just tried making tea without the teabag

Time for bed...I just tried making tea without the teabag

This is up there with the Freddo bar story! I'm seriously considering compiling memoirs from this after it!! I just woke up, said I'd sleep 10-1 and wake up and rock on from there to learn... Shizz is about to get poetic!!

This is up there with the Freddo bar story! I'm seriously considering compiling memoirs from this after it!! I just woke up, said I'd sleep 10-1 and wake up and rock on from there to learn... Shizz is about to get poetic!!

I went to bed but don't think I'll sleep, I'm telling myself the rest will be good. Alarm set for 5.30 😩

I went to bed but don't think I'll sleep, I'm telling myself the rest will be good. Alarm set for 5.30 😩

I've 12 mind maps on front of me.... I don't know where to cut it down! It's going to be a bit of a hit and hope day tomorrow... I wouldn't mind but everyone says contract is grand.... I'm finding it the most stressful!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭makemecrazy

There is just too much in contract and the fact tht it overlaps so much and the examiner zones in on specific small topics is really annoying because you can't talk your way around it, you either know it or in my case, don't ;(

• Advertisement

There is just too much in contract and the fact tht it overlaps so much and the examiner zones in on specific small topics is really annoying because you can't talk your way around it, you either know it or in my case, don't ;(

Not conducive to last minute cramming. I'm dressed here ready to go with five topics read and forgotten.

Midlecat wrote: »
    Not conducive to last minute cramming. I'm dressed here ready to go with five topics read and forgotten.

Fair play Midlecat! Where are you travelling from?
    I've all the bitty topics done-
    O&A, Con
    Intention
    Capacity
    Privity
    U.I

Trying to get the rest in but if I even get three questions I'll be lucky! Reckon I'm shooting myself in the foot?

Fair play Midlecat! Where are you travelling from?
    I've all the bitty topics done-
    O&A, Con
    Intention
    Capacity
    Privity
    U.I

Trying to get the rest in but if I even get three questions I'll be lucky! Reckon I'm shooting myself in the foot?

Cork :( you have a good bit done you may stick at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Sure if you weren't laughing you'd be crying...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bubbles5

lads does anyone else here leave themselves f****d for time everytime? i swear i could not have know more for that property exam and i didn't even finish my fourth question :( don't suppose anyone knows anything about the marking scheme? because 3 of my answers were as close as anyone was going to get to perfect, and the half i did for the fourth was pretty good, albeit horribly scribbled. oh i am so sickened with how slow i was!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

bubbles5 wrote: »
    lads does anyone else here leave themselves f****d for time everytime? i swear i could not have know more for that property exam and i didn't even finish my fourth question :( don't suppose anyone knows anything about the marking scheme? because 3 of my answers were as close as anyone was going to get to perfect, and the half i did for the fourth was pretty good, albeit horribly scribbled. oh i am so sickened with how slow i was!

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear but you have to be smarter/more disciplined than that.....it makes it so much harder to pass if you don't answer 5 questions, it's even worse if you actually know the stuff to answer 5 questions.

Time keeping is just as important as any other element of the exam. 5 slightly shorter answers will always do better than 3 long ones and a bit of a fourth. At the end of the day, whats more important passing the exam or failing but writing 2 great essays in the process???

I can remember struggling with it in my first year of college also.....it killed me to have info/cases/quotes etc and not be able to use it but it's the reality of the exam situation. I'm a fairly slow writer so I've had to work on it but your grades will improve for it.

Plan out your answer at the start. This doesn't mean start writing everything you know on the topic, think of the key parts to the answer and deal with each briefly and move on. I guarantee you will feel better coming out of an exam with 5 solid yet simple answers than 3.5 brilliant ones and the rest blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Hope Contract was a nice exam today.

I know you cant leave much out for Criminal but Im wondering if City/Independent have tipped anything or if theres anything at all that can be left out of the course? Its the amount of case law that is killing me.

Have no motivation left as this is my first set and pretty sure I failed my first two already.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭FE1 student

bubbles5 wrote: »

Oh I did the same in company. Answered about 4 and scribbled down bullet points for the 5th. But did not conclude any of the four. I thought I was better to move on with the next question. I was kicking
    myself coming out and so upset. I thought it was a good paper and had I of managed time better probably would have passed it 😭😭😭😭

To be honest, I thought that was a decent paper for contract. Nice problem questions and minimal mixing of topics. I had no case law to back up my answer on the Sale of Goods related boat question, but I lashed in a load of statute and how it would apply. Pretty sketchy essay on terms v representations and "mere advertising puff" too, but hopefully enough to pass!

Genuinely not sure about the standard of answers for these things. If I'd done either property or contract in college I'd be pretty certain of a decent grade. Guess I'll just have to wait and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭makemecrazy

Hey so in today's exam what did people conclude in question 3 and 4 with question 4 I wrote on discharge of contract by breach but this was essay 5 so I'm really confused? Overall was anyone else confused by the paper?

• Advertisement

Hey so in today's exam what did people conclude in question 3 and 4 with question 4 I wrote on discharge of contract by breach but this was essay 5 so I'm really confused? Overall was anyone else confused by the paper?

Edit: mixed up questions!

Question three was capacity, undue influence and unconscionable bargain, no?

Question four I used Section 10 (13)(2) of the Sale of Goods Act 1980 and said he had to fix or refund and owed damages because it wasn't fit for purpose and the boat's condition breached the implied condition necessary under the act (unless he could prove it didn't). Threw in a quick paragraph on misrepresentation in the last minute just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭safc_pete

Not studying the SOGA probably ****ed me over there. I went with misrep and damages for Q4 when it seems it was a sale of goods question.

safc_pete wrote: »
    Not studying the SOGA probably ****ed me over there. I went with misrep and damages for Q4 when it seems it was a sale of goods question.

Me too. Read on way up couldn't remember it. Did three questions. Left offer acceptance couldn't make myself start it. Tired now.

Will be doing five in march now.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Bertie1986

QUESTION 1:

What conclusion(s) did people come to for Question 1?

And what issues were in the second part? Does invitation to treat/display of goods come in to it - car parked on forecourt not an Offer but an invitation to treat??

Did people focus much on the mistake in price?

QUESTION 3:

Also, for question 3, what issues did people write on apart from undue influence? I forgot capacity and wrote mostly on UI. I also mentioned misrep which is incorrect I think?

Bertie1986 wrote: »
    QUESTION 1:

And what issues were in the second part? Does invitation to treat/display of goods come in to it - car parked on forecourt not an Offer but an invitation to treat??

Minister for Commerce & Industry v Pim, Boots: Goods displayed in windows are generally an invitation to treat. Harvey v Facey: quotations are generally invitations to treat. There was no contract.

QUESTION 1:

First part was a unilateral offer. Acceptance wasn't complete when the offer was revoked. Revocation was valid.

Second part - completely an invitation to treat based on display of goods (Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain v Boots Cash Chemist, Minister for Industry and Commerce v Pimm)
    QUESTION 3:

Also, for question 3, what issues did people write on apart from undue influence? I forgot capacity and wrote mostly on UI. I also mentioned misrep which is incorrect I think?

Capacity, undue influence and unconscionable bargain is what I went with.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Bertie1986

Minister for Commerce & Industry v Pim, Boots: Goods displayed in windows are generally an invitation to treat. Harvey v Facey: quotations are generally invitations to treat. There was no contract.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear!! Reckon those few marks could be the difference in a pass (I hope) and a fail!!

Thanks

Damn, forgot Harvey v Facey!

First part was a unilateral offer. Acceptance wasn't complete when the offer was revoked. Revocation was valid.

Yeah, I went with that too. Did a little spiel about Entores & Brimnes but the deposit aspect made it a unilateral offer. The deadline was irrelevant (Walker v Glass) and the revocation was communicated effectively (Dickinson v Dodds).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Was Contract an ok paper?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement