Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

safc_pete wrote: »
    Yeah, I went with that too. Did a little spiel about Entores & Brimnes but the deposit aspect made it a unilateral offer. The deadline was irrelevant (Walker v Glass) and the revocation was communicated effectively (Dickinson v Dodds).

I just said it was a unilateral offer like *insert case names* and that an offer could be revoked before it was accepted (Payne v Cave...which I somehow called Payne v Walsh :rolleyes:)
    dashdoll wrote: »
    Was Contract an ok paper?

I thought it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Jarndyce

Regarding Q. 1, I respectfully disagree with those above.

The decision in Walker v Glass appears applicable at first blush, but in fact it actually distinguishes this scenario. In Walker the acceptance was expressly contingent on the deposit being paid. In Q. 1, however, the requirement was to "indicate acceptance via email and pay a deposit of €500 before the deadline". They are separate and distinct. Acceptance was indicated via email on the 8th July, thus forming the contract. The deposit could be paid at any point until noon 11th July. If not paid by that date, Maire could repudiate the contract for breach of condition. Her attempt to revoke the offer was not successful as the offer had already been accepted.

Second part of Q.1 was straightforward Invitation to Treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Bertie1986

Re Contract, does anyone have any experience/insight in to whether Dr. Kelly is a hard marker??

Two down, two to go. I'm SO excited about a full nights sleep tonight and a small break before criminal. I will NEVER take my free time for granted after this dreadful week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭safc_pete

Was Contract an ok paper?

I found it...awkward. Would have loved a few more straighforward questions but there was nothing out of the blue about it. It's always a pretty awkward exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 livelovelaugh

I thought contract was a fair paper but I managed the mess it up royally! It was my first real one and I just panicked. Didn't even recognise part 2 of question 1 as being an invitation to treat and gave some rubbish on unilateral mistake!!!! Like what was I at?!! That was one of three so really disappointed in myself but will stop dwelling now, criminal beckons.

It seems to be really risky to leave out anything but at the same time, spreading myself too thinly won't work either as evidenced today.

Thinking of just outlining theft & property offences and public order. Any better ideas?

Hope everyone has a treat and takes a little rest this evening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

I'd bs interested to hear any thoughts on Criminal also, re the possibility of leaving anything out or if anything has been tipped by the revision courses.

Would I be right or wrong in thinking that less case law is required in answers for questions that span a few topics.

Both characteristics and classification of a crime came up in April 2014. Wonder if these are unlikely? One of those would be a handy question!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

Q1, couldn't really come to a conclusion argued both sides :/ went with walker v glass and mentioned offer & acceptance via email ( e commerce act) and revoke of offer etc ,by far my worst question. Pretty sure I messed to up, didn't know what I was talking about ... Second part only said invitation to treat, prim and boots case are the only two cases I had!

Q3, I said Undue, mentioned capacity very briefly and said he can't rely on it , mention one line for unconscionable bargain ( didn't think applied tbh) and defence of 'this is not my act ' but didn't think it applied either !

Q2 past consideration for the first part and Rule in pinnels for the 2nd part mentioned duress and estoppel very briefly but didn't think those two applied

Did the question on common mistake , nothing really to say for the equity bit , struggled and only wrote one page :/ mentioned that we didn't follow the great peace case in Ireland, didn't think it was relevant?

Then finally the terms / representation and puff one , I wrote down everything I knew about those,and wrote a page on misrep just to stretch out the answer ..

Overall, fair enough paper I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

Anyone have a vague idea when march/april sittings are?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭FE1 student

Does anyone know if it's safe to leave anything off the criminal course. I just can't keep all the legislation and case law in my head. I am freaking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CRM1

dandadub wrote: »
    How does everyone prepare for the constitutional law exam??

It's such a hard exam to prepare for - so much in it. And the recent exam papers like the rest seem to have more red herrings in them than previous ones. I'm just trying to cover as much as I can. Trying to get all the major topics nailed down as best I can and then at least have an outline of some infrequent topics eg attorney general even though it was asked last paper. I am hoping for a nice paper!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

Hey, I've left EU law verrrry late. My last exam and I'm not expecting to pass it but what topics do people think would be best to focus on to at least give it a good attempt if the paper goes my way? Thinking of looking at Competition, Citizenship, Equality, Free Movement of Goods. Hoping for an institution q as well so I can use blackstones and add in a bit of my own analysis - Any other chapters worth a look as well? Might spread myself too thin in terms of learning if I'm looking at any more, takes me quite a while to learn :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Just wondering could someone clarify something re EU Citizenship for me? In my manual it says that the ECJ's classic definition of discrimination is that "the principle of non-discrimination requires that comparable situations must not be treated differently and that different situations must not be treated in the same way". However, it doesn't say which case this quote is taken from. Does anyone know what the case was?

Also, as in EU law there are plenty of cases with the same parties involved (ie Commission v Ireland, Commission v Italy) do I need to put the year of the case in brackets after it or is it enough to distinguish them from on another if you mention the facts?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭FE1 EXAMS 2013

Does anyone know if it's safe to leave anything off the criminal course. I just can't keep all the legislation and case law in my head. I am freaking out.

I sat the criminal exam in April and passed with all the below topics, I passed 2 and failed 2 so I'm sitting the blooming thing again but I'm covering all the exact same material, learn the basics and not masses of pages cause he puts so many topics in one question that you only actually have time to write the essentials backed up with 1 or 2 cases. Ul see a pattern with his papers as well,

I'd make sure you def have:
    Actus reus/ mens rea
    Sexual (he zoned in on this in one entire q in April so maybe could be an essay this time)
    Non fatal
    Homicide
    Property offence
    Inchoate
    Complicity
    Defences: provocation/self defence/ insanity/intox and duress

I left out all procedural elements/ offences against justice/public/state. I knew a line on each but that was it!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

I sat the criminal exam in April and passed with all the below topics, I passed 2 and failed 2 so I'm sitting the blooming thing again but I'm covering all the exact same material, learn the basics and not masses of pages cause he puts so many topics in one question that you only actually have time to write the essentials backed up with 1 or 2 cases. Ul see a pattern with his papers as well,

I'd make sure you def have:
    Actus reus/ mens rea
    Sexual (he zoned in on this in one entire q in April so maybe could be an essay this time)
    Non fatal
    Homicide
    Property offence
    Inchoate
    Complicity
    Defences: provocation/self defence/ insanity/intox and duress

I left out all procedural elements/ offences against justice/public/state. I knew a line on each but that was it!

I thought Criminal was gonna be a breeze but finding it hard to study for it. Is less case law needed in answers as they span so many topics.

Is it ok to paraphrase the essence of the offences etc? No time to learn these.

I thought Criminal was gonna be a breeze but finding it hard to study for it. Is less case law needed in answers as they span so many topics.

I'd know a line on the facts and a line on the judgement, your obviously going to need a bit of case law between all the topics but not that much detail on them, you don't have the time to write it all.

If your finding it difficult to learn to learn the long winded definitions know the name of the section and the act and paraphrase it in your own words so that you understand it and more importantly remember it!

Is anyone looking for accommodation for 29th and 30th for red cow Moran? I can't stay for 2 of the nites I have booked in

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dandadub

Not a tap done today. I blame the Ryder Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Daryl Strawberry

dandadub wrote: »
    Not a tap done today. I blame the Ryder Cup

Hope Europe wrap it up early so I can get something done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

Tomorrow is my fourth and final this sitting and I have no interest whatsoever in studying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Bayley1 wrote: »
    Tomorrow is my fourth and final this sitting and I have no interest whatsoever in studying

Trying to get to grips with some Equity before I throw myself into Constitutional and I'm feeling the same.

You'll be done this time tomorrow, though! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 JCx

Trying to get to grips with some Equity before I throw myself into Constitutional and I'm feeling the same.

You'll be done this time tomorrow, though! :D

Has anyone any tips on what's best cover in equity? I'm looking into a black hole right now!

I feel exactly the same. Because it's easily the most interesting subject I thought it would be easy to learn, but there are way too many case names and sections. They simply will not go in!! Panic stricken.

Tomorrow is my third, last one on Friday but I'm all out of motivation!!

Bertie1986 wrote: »
    I feel exactly the same. Because it's easily the most interesting subject I thought it would be easy to learn, but there are way too many case names and sections. They simply will not go in!! Panic stricken.

Tomorrow is my third, last one on Friday but I'm all out of motivation!!

Same here! I just woke up, fell asleep while trying to read over notes. I haven't looked at criminal since beginning of September forgot how much there was

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

Anyone any tips on what to study for EU, thanks

Bayley1 wrote: »
    Same here! I just woke up, fell asleep while trying to read over notes. I haven't looked at criminal since beginning of September forgot how much there was

I actually can't stop power-napping!!

Same, wrote out all my notes in the first week of September and put it aside as thought it would be no hassle.

Any idea what the examiner is like in terms of marking?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 kel.lynch

Does anybody know when the results will be released or how long generally it takes for them to come through? It doesn't seem to say on the Law Society website - just that we will be emailed....

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

kel.lynch wrote: »
    Does anybody know when the results will be released or how long generally it takes for them to come through? It doesn't seem to say on the Law Society website - just that we will be emailed....

If I remember correctly 6 weeks, definitely no quicker than that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 kel.lynch

Offside wrote: »
    If I remember correctly 6 weeks, definitely no quicker than that anyway.

Thank you :)

Same, wrote out all my notes in the first week of September and put it aside as thought it would be no hassle.

No sorry :(
    I'm just gonna study til about 2, get up again at 6 and hope for the best after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭saor19

I think he is pretty fair but do remember to put in the penalties upon conviction, its one of those things you wouldn't have to do in a college exam (well I didn't anyway) but you do in this one!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement