Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

smeal wrote: »
    Hi guys.. Just wondering where did you all find out about the new three sitting rule?? Law Society website is down :(

Tackling my first set now in April 2015.. Have bought the one manual so far (baby steps!!!).. Working full time though so I know it's going to be tough! Although I'd love to tackle four just to have the back up I'm really unsure whether I'll have enough holidays to take four so the three sounds tempting to me!

Went to the Independent Colleges open night and got talking to one of the lecturers who told me that with a law degree you probably don't need to take the course for the knowledge aspect of it but he told me that by going to class every week and taking in as much as you can probably equates to doing actually about 10-12 hours in total of your own work. Definitely sounds promising for Constitutional since its huge!!

Just have a small question before I get too dragged down into the manuals.. I have heard from people that ALL you need to know for these exams is everything in the manuals.. Is this true? I understand these exams are completely different to college exams but should I be looking towards academic texts etc in order to bulk up my answers or literally just learn and apply everything the manual has to offer?

Thanks a mil!

:)

With regard to the lectures, I did the online ones for my first four and didn't bother with my next set. They can be a help but to be honest, I wouldn't say they are necessary. The key point is getting through the manuals and papers and getting a good solid understanding of each topic....if you have extra time you might pick some extra little bits from the lectures but it would be minor e.g you already know the topic well and pick up a nuanced element of the chapter from the lecturer. Put it like this, you passing or failing will be decided by how much work you put in with your manuals, not watching a few lectures. They are also time consuming, having watched a 2 hour lecture you will then have to go through the chapter in the manual.....in the end I found myself working from the manual solely and only watching the lecture if there was something I couldn't get.

I've said a lot there but in short, I wouldn't be rushing to recommend the lectures.....a lot of money, they slow down your study and ultimately you will still have to put in the slog with the manuals.

Re your second question about manual vs extra reading and academic commentary. I wondered the same when I started studying and initially I did use other books but I soon realised unless you are superhuman, it's not possible to get enough topics covered if you're going into too much detail with each topic. My approach was to buy the Griffith, Independent and City manuals second hand and work solely from those. Even with that I'm probably going into too much detail but I like to be thorough and I found the 3 manuals typically provided a comprehensive view of the topic. I wouldn't include everything from all 3 however. Instead, I normally had a favourite manual in each subject e.g I liked the Independent one for Company, which I would base my notes off. I'd then look through the other two and supplement my notes where required.

As I said above, I've probably waffled a bit but if you have any other questions just ask!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

S12b wrote: »
    With regard to the lectures, I did the online ones for my first four and didn't bother with my next set. They can be a help but to be honest, I wouldn't say they are necessary. The key point is getting through the manuals and papers and getting a good solid understanding of each topic....if you have extra time you might pick some extra little bits from the lectures but it would be minor e.g you already know the topic well and pick up a nuanced element of the chapter from the lecturer. Put it like this, you passing or failing will be decided by how much work you put in with your manuals, not watching a few lectures. They are also time consuming, having watched a 2 hour lecture you will then have to go through the chapter in the manual.....in the end I found myself working from the manual solely and only watching the lecture if there was something I couldn't get.

I've said a lot there but in short, I wouldn't be rushing to recommend the lectures.....a lot of money, they slow down your study and ultimately you will still have to put in the slog with the manuals.

Re your second question about manual vs extra reading and academic commentary. I wondered the same when I started studying and initially I did use other books but I soon realised unless you are superhuman, it's not possible to get enough topics covered if you're going into too much detail with each topic. My approach was to buy the Griffith, Independent and City manuals second hand and work solely from those. Even with that I'm probably going into too much detail but I like to be thorough and I found the 3 manuals typically provided a comprehensive view of the topic. I wouldn't include everything from all 3 however. Instead, I normally had a favourite manual in each subject e.g I liked the Independent one for Company, which I would base my notes off. I'd then look through the other two and supplement my notes where required.

As I said above, I've probably waffled a bit but if you have any other questions just ask!! :D

Thanks so much for all your help! I think I prefer the Independent manuals so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissM89

Hi there -has anyone had trouble getting exam papers and reports from City Colleges? I know its only week two but I like to have a look at the papers before going to lectures. Just wondering if its just me who cant get any reply from them?!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

MissM89 wrote: »
    Hi there -has anyone had trouble getting exam papers and reports from City Colleges? I know its only week two but I like to have a look at the papers before going to lectures. Just wondering if its just me who cant get any reply from them?!

They've had a problem with the papers. Apparently they'll be ready at the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

For accessing our results, are they going to send us a password to log in with or are we supposed to already have it? I have an ID number here on the letter they sent me about the exams, but no sign of any passwords!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

For accessing our results, are they going to send us a password to log in with or are we supposed to already have it? I have an ID number here on the letter they sent me about the exams, but no sign of any passwords!

You will get an email teliing you how to access your results, if you have not accessed results before you will be given a temporary password and then you will set one up.
    If you've received results before then all details will be the same.
    Your ID number is the number on all correspondence from the Law Society.
    We'll hopefully get the email on Friday notifying us of results next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Bertie1986

FYI - just had a look at the Law Society website which confirms that the results are out next week:

"Results for the September 2014 sitting of the FE-1 will be published here on Friday 21 November 2014 at 9.30am".

Feeling physically ill at the thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 RCFE15

Bertie1986 wrote: »
    FYI - just had a look at the Law Society website which confirms that the results are out next week:

"Results for the September 2014 sitting of the FE-1 will be published here on Friday 21 November 2014 at 9.30am".

Best of luck to you. I'm studying for the 2015 sittings and already feel overwhelmed with the study load. I sat them in 2011 but no joy.

I was thinking of trying to answer as many exam questions as possible. I am studying from the Griffith manuals. anyone else try this approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Legal125

Bertie1986 wrote: »

With you on the physically ill front.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

Bayley1 wrote: »
    I am sitting four this time round possibly more as I haven't got results yet.

Kinda felt I had to start next lectures so I'm in limbo at the moment. :(

How about you?

I'm sitting five :( and have to pass all of them for work. Boss keeps asking me about them. I'm starting next week probably should have got stuck in on 4th Nov like everyone else. I've Company, Contract, EU, Constitutional and Tort to do. I have some reading and notes from Company last time done. I'm in Limbo too though I know I didn't pass the two I did so need to cop on and start.

What four do you have so?

• Advertisement

Midlecat wrote: »
    I'm sitting five :( and have to pass all of them for work. Boss keeps asking me about them. I'm starting next week probably should have got stuck in on 4th Nov like everyone else. I've Company, Contract, EU, Constitutional and Tort to do. I have some reading and notes from Company last time done. I'm in Limbo too though I know I didn't pass the two I did so need to cop on and start.

What four do you have so?

This time I'm studying equity, constitutional, EU and tort.

I sat equity first time I attempted four but took up company last time hoping to pass with the new legislation maybe coming in later this year.

I haven't really started at all, just watched two lectures so far :(

Ugh, was in a lovely little "what FE1s?" Bubble of happiness. Should probably get cracking next week but so tempted to wait until I know I definitely have to repeat those four.

Ugh, was in a lovely little "what FE1s?" Bubble of happiness. Should probably get cracking next week but so tempted to wait until I know I definitely have to repeat those four.

Lol

I was the exact same, I nearly died when I got an email saying lectures were starting few weeks ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭neesie_85

I really need to get back into study mode for March. Cant seem to find the motivation, I think its the waiting for the results since I don't know if i have to repeat some of them.

The wait is sickening :(

Has anyone done the EU exam before? what's it like? have to sit this one next with whatever I don't pass from the last sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 magshal

Does anybody know where I can now post re Manuals, past papers etc for sale?

adverts.ie is where you can advertise them and find them for sale

Out of all the different fe1 study courses which has the best notes or study material? Found Griffith OK for some subjects but lacking in others.

neesie_85 wrote: »
    I really need to get back into study mode for March. Cant seem to find the motivation, I think its the waiting for the results since I don't know if i have to repeat some of them.

The wait is sickening :(

Has anyone done the EU exam before? what's it like? have to sit this one next with whatever I don't pass from the last sitting.

It's ok. It takes work though. The most challenging aspect being the sheer volume of material you need to cover

thanks Legal125

was thinking that when I saw the manual... are the questions tricky like in constitution or are they fairly straight forward?

thanks Legal125

was thinking that when I saw the manual... are the questions tricky like in constitution or are they fairly straight forward?

I would say they can be tricky. But that's countered by the fact that you have lots of internal choice.... If you cover nearly everything in some form then u have the best chance with EU. That in itself is the challenge but it can be done.

• Advertisement

brilliant thanks :)

its going to be a busy Christmas and new year... especially since the exams are earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭vickyplumx

Sickened for Friday! Want to know whether I passed to start studying but at the same time could live happily not knowing !

vickyplumx wrote: »
    Sickened for Friday! Want to know whether I passed to start studying but at the same time could live happily not knowing !

Yeah I'm hoping I'm not the only one who has tears at the thought. So stressful. Not sure I'll actually be able to bring myself to check......

That's if it works.... last time it would not let me in to get the results for ages...

I hate not knowing and the wait....

Email in from the Law Society about passwords for results. Shít just got real.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Daryl Strawberry

Having trouble logging into the Law Society website, on what correspondence were we assigned passwords? The one I have to hand is the one acknowledging payment of FE1 fees and that gives me an 'ID Number' which is just a 7 digit number, is this what you use to login?

Having trouble logging into the Law Society website, on what correspondence were we assigned passwords? The one I have to hand is the one acknowledging payment of FE1 fees and that gives me an 'ID Number' which is just a 7 digit number, is this what you use to login?

Yes your ID number is the username, it is stated on all correspondence from the Law Society - it is not your exam number.

Your temporary password is - password
    You then change your password once you are logged in.

There are instructions of how to log in if you have not done so before in the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

Anyone has done done EU or Cons independent colleges before? Are the lecturers good in your opinion? Thinking of signing up to them..

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Dave Freeman

Out of all the different fe1 study courses which has the best notes or study material? Found Griffith OK for some subjects but lacking in others.

I think independent College are the best for the manuals, they seem to be the most updated of the three colleges. I have seen some Griffith 2013/2014 manuals that were identical to 2011/2012 versions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Dave Freeman

I think independent College are the best for the manuals, I have used manuals from all three colleges and I would go with independent, my personal opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement