Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hannah Marie

Hi everyone,

Im currently Studying for the FE1s in March 2015 and trying to come to terms with the workload involved and the lack of memory I have. I'm sitting Contract, Equity and Trusts, Company Law and EU Law. I'm also doing a prep course for the exam. I understand that it is recommended to know everything per subject, but I honestly cant see myself remembering everything. So, what I am really asking is that any FE1 candidates out there, that are remotely going through the same situation could you please let me know if you are attempting to learn EVERYTHING per subject or maybe just the important topics. I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Marie92

Hi folks,

I'd like to get some grinds for Equity and Contract. I have the manuals but I'm looking for help with how to approach exam questions. I know there is a list on the lawsoc website but does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bobsterlfc

Hi everyone,

Im currently Studying for the FE1s in March 2015 and trying to come to terms with the workload involved and the lack of memory I have. I'm sitting Contract, Equity and Trusts, Company Law and EU Law. I'm also doing a prep course for the exam. I understand that it is recommended to know everything per subject, but I honestly cant see myself remembering everything. So, what I am really asking is that any FE1 candidates out there, that are remotely going through the same situation could you please let me know if you are attempting to learn EVERYTHING per subject or maybe just the important topics. I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks

In an ideal world you would learn everything but we dont live in an ideal world and you only need the magic 50%. I cant advise you whats best for your situation but i did leave a good bit out of those subjects out by looking at the grids and doing a bit of strategic gambling. I still covered near 9/10 topics in each though. You have to do whats comfortable for you though. Some wouldnt risk leaving anything out just incase

• Registered Users Posts: 7 1.9.rubberduck

tips for company anyone? i haven't studied it in years and am worried that with the bill being enacted recently the notes that would have been ok for october 2014 will now be a bit useless for march 2015?? or is the fact that it won't commence until june going to be my saving grace here? really should have started this before xmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dandadub

tips for company anyone? i haven't studied it in years and am worried that with the bill being enacted recently the notes that would have been ok for october 2014 will now be a bit useless for march 2015?? or is the fact that it won't commence until june going to be my saving grace here? really should have started this before xmas!

I'm also studying Company from the October 2014 notes and would like to know what the stance is now on the enacted Company Bill for the exam. Will he be expecting us to know it as it stands or have any of the prep courses said differently?

Also watching old lectures I've noticed "Specific duties of Directors at common law and equity" was passed by. Does this feature in the exam?

Thanks a million in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Getting stuck into my last one now today. EU law. Nightmare picking up the books again. Round four for me...Deep breaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Starting today....again!

Does anyone know if there is a forum anywhere to post about swapping exam papers or grids etc?

I have most of what I need but hoping to be able to swap a few past papers or grids with others doing the exams and as far as I know we can't post in relation to that here.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 RCFE15

Anyone have exam grids or pointers for Property, Criminal, Equity and Contract please or where I can source same. Also, is it worth buying the examiners reports on the law society website?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Daryl Strawberry

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Getting stuck into my last one now today. EU law. Nightmare picking up the books again. Round four for me...Deep breaths.

You're starting now for one exam, I started this week and I have 4 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

You're starting now for one exam, I started this week and I have 4 :confused:

I have 8. ;) Come at me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Yup I hate EU so it will be a struggle. I want to cover everything for a change. I remember this time last year picking up the books for four but I really want this to be the last time I do it so am starting nice and early. My traineeship also depends on me going to Blackhall in Sept so no chances. Plus I work full time so my study plan will have to be flexible! I hope I havent panicked anyone starting now for four or whatever. Loads of time! Was just really commenting on how crap it is picking up an FE-1 manual again.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

Same boat- getting stuck in today for five. Two from scratch. Here's hoping time goes slowly. Planning to have everything read by Feb 1st (ie Tort EU) then a month for Q's and study- loads of time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭southcounty

Pepp1989 wrote: »

Can anyone tell me what the best manual for Eu is please. It's my last exam and I'm dreading it. I can't even understand what it means never mind answer a paper on it so I'd be grateful if anyone has any advice on the easiest/most simplistic manual that I could get.
    Thanks in advance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭missindigo123

Getting started again today! Don't even know where to begin!!! Have 5 left to do, constitutional, EU, company, tort and equity. Not sure whether to do them all or not! I've constitutional pretty much covered- never sat the exam because went travelling instead. And did equity last round (got 49% tear!!!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

Just wandering would you be able to pass the exams on law books and nutshells? Ive a lot left over from my undergrad so was thinking of just using them...

Just wandering would you be able to pass the exams on law books and nutshells? Ive a lot left over from my undergrad so was thinking of just using them...

If you can get a manual, I would recommend that you do. The nutshells are actually a good help too but not sure if you will pass with just them tbh. Try get passports too, they are €6 for all 8 subjects from the law society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Newbielaw

I'm joining you all. My first day starting. This is my first attempt at the fe1s. I'm working while doing them. For those of you working how many hours study are you planning on doing each day?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭southcounty

Hi guys,

Which manual is the best for EU does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Newbielaw wrote: »
    I'm joining you all. My first day starting. This is my first attempt at the fe1s. I'm working while doing them. For those of you working how many hours study are you planning on doing each day?

Hi Newbielaw. Welcome! I am in the same position as you and also first attempt! Also don't really have a whole lot of annual leave to take before the actual exams.

It's difficult especially with the dark evenings. With my free weekday evenings I'm lucky to get home by 6 so I usually put a plan in place for the evening, get something to eat, relax for half an hour and then start at 7.30/8pm. With the dark evenings and being so tired I usually only go until about 10pm trying to get the most out of a chapter per night making notes and taking it all in. If you're particularly tired in the evenings take a small chapter or even a decent sized section of a chapter with great importance. I find this way great for dedication and keeping motivated- it's better to get a small amount done well rather than chugging through notes and not taking anything in at all otherwise you'll start to lose confidence in yourself.

Then weekends I'm trying to get back into pre-finals mode, up as early as I can, heaps of coffee and keep going until I burn out basically! It's all you can do really with restricted time but find a way that suits you best :) Best of luck anyways!

Hi Smeal, that's a great plan! I know exactly what you mean. Its so hard when you come home. I had plans to start yesterday but literally couldnt face it. I am starting this evening though. Might try your pre-final plan myself. I'll probably burn out too early haha!

I'm glad I found this thread, nice to have others to share the pain with!!

Best of luck :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

how many years do you have to pass all 8. i passed 4 in my first sitting in march 13, havent done any since?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

how many years do you have to pass all 8. i passed 4 in my first sitting in march 13, havent done any since?

5 years from the 31st of December since you pass your first 3. So if you passed tour first 4 4 in March 2013 I presume the clock started to run for you from 31.12.2013 and will end 31.12.2018

smeal wrote: »
    Hi Newbielaw. Welcome! I am in the same position as you and also first attempt! Also don't really have a whole lot of annual leave to take before the actual exams.

It's difficult especially with the dark evenings. With my free weekday evenings I'm lucky to get home by 6 so I usually put a plan in place for the evening, get something to eat, relax for half an hour and then start at 7.30/8pm. With the dark evenings and being so tired I usually only go until about 10pm trying to get the most out of a chapter per night making notes and taking it all in. If you're particularly tired in the evenings take a small chapter or even a decent sized section of a chapter with great importance. I find this way great for dedication and keeping motivated- it's better to get a small amount done well rather than chugging through notes and not taking anything in at all otherwise you'll start to lose confidence in yourself.

Then weekends I'm trying to get back into pre-finals mode, up as early as I can, heaps of coffee and keep going until I burn out basically! It's all you can do really with restricted time but find a way that suits you best :) Best of luck anyways!

I did my first 4 last march! Try match up your subjects, like property, equity and contract all have loads of overlap so you might be able to learn one topic for all three kinda thing. Just take it easy and do your best. I got freaked out when I started hearing how much everyone else had done or how freaked out others were. Don't let their stress get to you. A one day revision course might be a good idea if your very worried. Good luck guys! This forum was a great help for me too, people will help you out if your stuck on a topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tiger_cub

This is pretty perfect advice. I have 5 done, 3 left to do and working full time. Only study Tues/Thur night when I get home from the office and as much of all day Saturday/Sunday as I can. The weekends can be tough though and make sure you take time to unwind and relax too to avoid burnout. Monday/Wed/Fri I hit the gym, do laundry, remember what normal life is like lol! when you have such limited time to study I find you really do focus and concentrate a lot better but you can pass them without spending 7 days a week studying. best of luck x

neesie_85 wrote: »
    Out of all the different fe1 study courses which has the best notes or study material? Found Griffith OK for some subjects but lacking in others.

I like the independant manuals. I found some of the griffith sample answers a bit weak too

Hi guys.. I'm working off the September 2014 Independent Manuals/Lectures and I'm just wondering has there been any massive new cases for Constitutional since then that I will need to know for March?

I would say keep an eye on the abortion cases; LRC in NI want changes and then we had that case at Xmas where the woman was technically dead but being kept alive because of her pregnancy. I would read those.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 charliebabbitt

dashdoll wrote: »
    Starting today....again!

Does anyone know if there is a forum anywhere to post about swapping exam papers or grids etc?

I have most of what I need but hoping to be able to swap a few past papers or grids with others doing the exams and as far as I know we can't post in relation to that here.

Thanks.

I sent you a PM there if your interested in swapping materials. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mayabb

Hi Guys,

I'm sitting 4 Fe1s in March (Company, Constitutional, EU and Tort) but working off 2012 manuals. Does anyone have any advice for any big changes to watch out for as I'm afraid the manuals might be a bit outdated. I'm particularly concerned about company with the new bill having just been enacted - is this something to watch out for in the March exam and if so any advice on where/how to get up-to-date info on this would be much appreciated as I'd like to avoid having to buy new manuals.

Also, just wondering where you can pick up nutshells as they might be a good solution to this problem? Can you just get them in regular bookstores? Misindigo123 mentioned passports from the Law Society too. What are they? Have never heard of them before.

Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mayabb

Hi Misindigo123, just wondering where I can pick up the nutshells? Are they for sale in ordinary bookshops? Thinking they might be a useful addition to my older (2012) manuals. Also, what are the passports? I've never heard of them before.

Cheers!

• Advertisement

mayabb wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm sitting 4 Fe1s in March (Company, Constitutional, EU and Tort) but working off 2012 manuals. Does anyone have any advice for any big changes to watch out for as I'm afraid the manuals might be a bit outdated. I'm particularly concerned about company with the new bill having just been enacted - is this something to watch out for in the March exam and if so any advice on where/how to get up-to-date info on this would be much appreciated as I'd like to avoid having to buy new manuals.

Also, just wondering where you can pick up nutshells as they might be a good solution to this problem? Can you just get them in regular bookstores? Misindigo123 mentioned passports from the Law Society too. What are they? Have never heard of them before.

Thanks a million!

Mayabb I don't know if the Companies Bill will feature much in the exam as it doesn't come into force until June 1st, but if you want a tonne of free info on it look up arthurcox website. I've been keeping an eye on that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement