Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Travel bug

Hi everyone, I'm due to sit my first 4 in March but I'm afraid I've left it too late. Is it possible to cover 4 subjects in 8 weeks and have any chance of passing? or would it be better to just sit 3 subjects instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Daryl Strawberry

Travel bug wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm due to sit my first 4 in March but I'm afraid I've left it too late. Is it possible to cover 4 subjects in 8 weeks and have any chance of passing? or would it be better to just sit 3 subjects instead?

I would say it depends on what type of grounding you have with particular subjects. There are some that are considerably more manageable than others (property traditionally), so I would say its possible.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Had anyone started to look into booking rooms for the exams? I know that it's early but I've just realised that the exams are on around Paddy's week, i.e. the most tourist heavy part of the year in Dublin. Could make it harder to get rooms, cheap ones anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

having not sat any yet - what do you mean by 'booking rooms'?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Legal125

having not sat any yet - what do you mean by 'booking rooms'?

.....As in hotel rooms to stay in overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Legal125 wrote: »
    .....As in hotel rooms to stay in overnight.

Sorry, that's what I meant!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Numero

Travel bug wrote: »

I would think it is doable. If you are prepared to put alot of hours in then I think there's a chance of passing. Pick smaller topics perhaps. As someone else said property is easier to learn. I personally would avoid the likes of EU and constitution unless you were already familiar with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KMPT

Hi guys. I am doing three but I am only starting tonight and I have about 4 or 5 hours of study each day. Doing Company, Property and EU. Am I nuts to think it's doable? 8 weeks to go...Please give me your honest opinion as I haven't secured my magic three yet so if I fail any I fail all. Wanted to do Company before the new Act comes into effect so decided to take advantage of the new exam rule by doing the minimum three and really study hard. Although a better plan would have been to start studying ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

KMPT wrote: »
    Hi guys. I am doing three but I am only starting tonight and I have about 4 or 5 hours of study each day. Doing Company, Property and EU. Am I nuts to think it's doable? 8 weeks to go...Please give me your honest opinion as I haven't secured my magic three yet so if I fail any I fail all. Wanted to do Company before the new Act comes into effect so decided to take advantage of the new exam rule by doing the minimum three and really study hard. Although a better plan would have been to start studying ages ago.

Hi KMPT.. Personally, with eight weeks to go I would avoid EU unless you are extremely familiar with it! Maybe opt for Contract or Criminal instead? It is doable with only three I would say but you will need to take a serious crack at it.. If I were you I would just start sifting through the material as fast and efficiently as you can right now and try not to get too bogged down in grids and past papers until a week or two before the exam as I have found that very time consuming when the realisation is that you will need to know everything/most things anyways! Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KMPT

smeal wrote: »
    Hi KMPT.. Personally, with eight weeks to go I would avoid EU unless you are extremely familiar with it! Maybe opt for Contract or Criminal instead? It is doable with only three I would say but you will need to take a serious crack at it.. If I were you I would just start sifting through the material as fast and efficiently as you can right now and try not to get too bogged down in grids and past papers until a week or two before the exam as I have found that very time consuming when the realisation is that you will need to know everything/most things anyways! Best of luck :)

Thanks Smeal. I had planned to just read read read and work on my memory and spend about a week halfway on practice papers. Knowing that I have to know everything is scary. Going to give it my best. Thanks again and all the best with your exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

KMPT wrote: »

I would actively encourage teaming Property with Equity and/or Contract. So much overlap - it's lovely and handy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

I'm not really doing much at the moment, I started tort before Christmas have a few topics covered but barely looked at it since christmas.

Waiting on a recheck this Friday so it's hard to concentrate properly until I know what subjects I'll be sitting in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 RCFE15

I'm sitting property, equity, contract and criminal. I have sat them before but no joy! I have notes on property, equity and crime but I had a mental block with contract first time round and I feel the same is happening this time. I'm not sure if I should just sit the 3 I have notes on or will I limit myself overall..Anyone else in the same boat, whether to sit 3 or 4??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Spring 2015 syllabus gone up on the Law Society website. In particular, anyone sitting Company might be interested in the following:
    Candidates presenting at the April and October 2015 sittings of the
    FE1 Company Law examination may elect to base their answers on
    either the law contained in the Companies Acts 1963 to 2013 or the
    law contained in the Companies Act 2014.

I'm guessing they meant to say March, as opposed to April.

That certainly gives a bit of piece of mind.

Are copies of the Constitution supplied in the Constitutional exam or must we bring our own if we want to?

smeal wrote: »
    Are copies of the Constitution supplied in the Constitutional exam or must we bring our own if we want to?

Nothing is supplied. You have to buy all your own legislation and it has to be an official copy. You cannot print downloads from the Internet, or photocopy a version.

You can get the Constitution for a few euro in most bookshops. Otherwise, you can order all your legislation online or on the phone through the Government Publications section of the OPW.

Remember you have to drop your legislation copy to the exam venue the day before if you want it checked and back by the time the exam starts!

Nothing is supplied. You have to buy all your own legislation and it has to be an official copy. You cannot print downloads from the Internet, or photocopy a version.

You can get the Constitution for a few euro in most bookshops. Otherwise, you can order all your legislation online or on the phone through the Government Publications section of the OPW.

Remember you have to drop your legislation copy to the exam venue the day before if you want it checked and back by the time the exam starts!

Ooooh never knew the bit about dropping in before hand! I have a Constitution somewhere, must hoke it out! Thanks a mil :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BatPateman

Just getting started on revision for the Criminal Law Fe1 in March. I would appreciate if anyone inform me as to what topics they are covering for this or leaving out?

BatPateman wrote: »
    Just getting started on revision for the Criminal Law Fe1 in March. I would appreciate if anyone inform me as to what topics they are covering for this or leaving out?

You have absolutely tons of time to cover everything for one topic. You shouldn't really be looking at cutting stuff until the last minute revision panic sets in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭missindigo123

MJW5 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there been any tips for constitutional? So much to cover! Have covered all of fair procedures - speedy trial, good name, wrongfully obtained evidence etc, separation of powers, unenumerated rights doctrine, property rights, right to livelihood, right to die, locus standi, president - any ideas what else i definitely need to cover?

I'd cover abortion just given the cases that have arisen this year and all the talk about it in the media! Family and Education seems to come up a good bit too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭missindigo123

In relation to Due Course of Law; the 2014 SC decision in DPP V Gormley and White - do you now have to see a solicitor before you can be interviewed? And does anyone want to swap some constitutional notes (and have some videos) for EU!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Can anyone tell me if Qs 6 of the most recent Property paper (Sept 2014) is Proprietary Estoppel or am I going completely in the wrong direction? Is there anything else that would need to be discussed in this qs?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BatPateman

You have absolutely tons of time to cover everything for one topic. You shouldn't really be looking at cutting stuff until the last minute revision panic sets in.

I am aware I have 'tonnes of time', I am just interested in knowing what are the core topics to cover for criminal. I don't want to spend weeks wasting time learning off topics that are never examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Legal125

BatPateman wrote: »
    I am aware I have 'tonnes of time', I am just interested in knowing what are the core topics to cover for criminal. I don't want to spend weeks wasting time learning off topics that are never examined.

Go by grid and exam reports. He repeatedly states and the exam format is that he mixes multiple topics in his Qs and on the paper
    You could leave out the procedural stuff or the courts based Qs if you don't like them but other than that id cover as much as you can for criminal it's def an exam where breadth v depth is what is gonna work for u! If you go through one or two exam papers it's fairly self evident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Would I get away with using a 2012 manual for Tort or would it be too outdated?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lawlols

Redo91 wrote: »
    Would I get away with using a 2012 manual for Tort or would it be too outdated?

Tort is one of the only ones which hasn't changed too much so you would definitely have the majority covered by the 2012 manual. You might miss out on some more recent cases which reflect the same things as the older ones. Well that is what I think anyway!

Good luck to everybody getting the re-check results tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dandadub

lawlols wrote: »
    Good luck to everybody getting the re-check results tomorrow!

Where is the page for the rechecks when you log in?

dandadub wrote: »
    Where is the page for the rechecks when you log in?

If you log in then go to Public, then Becoming a solicitor,FE1 Exams and then there is a link for the results

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

No luck with recheck so back to the drawing board 😩 at least I have all my notes for March

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement