Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 prettylamp

Went up by 2% but didn't make it to the 50! 😡

They don't refund you unless you pass right??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

prettylamp wrote: »
    Went up by 2% but didn't make it to the 50! 😡

They don't refund you unless you pass right??

No unfortunately! It's so disheartening :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21 prettylamp

Bayley1 wrote: »
    No unfortunately! It's so disheartening :(

Such a money making scheme... So annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dandadub

No budge on the recheck either. You wonder if they had even checked it at all. Such a waste of money!

Two minds now whether to even give them 28 euro for this workshop now. I feel like ive given them enough money.

dandadub wrote: »
    No budge on the recheck either. You wonder if they had even checked it at all. Such a waste of money!

Two minds now whether to even give them 28 euro for this workshop now. I feel like ive given them enough money.

I've already paid for the workshop :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

I got my recheck up from 48 to 50 for contract. no post though. terrified its wrong!! that would mean only constitutional eu tort and company to do. a trainee at work told me they were wrong once on the online posts for a lad in her blackhall terrified now the post wont concur!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fe1fun

I take it there is no way of getting a break down of your marks from the Law Society is there? I really thought I passed and did not budge in the recheck for contract!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 RCFE15

Bayley1 wrote: »
    I've already paid for the workshop :(:(

Where can I find out about this workshop you mentioned??

fe1fun wrote: »
    I take it there is no way of getting a break down of your marks from the Law Society is there? I really thought I passed and did not budge in the recheck for contract!

I would email them a friend of mine failed the first three three times and he managed to arrange a meeting with some head up there to go through his papers to see what was wrong - each time he thought it went great but failed. You should email them today and see if there is scope for doing that.

RCFE15 wrote: »
    Where can I find out about this workshop you mentioned??

Finding your Training Contract

Seminar on 26 January 2015

This January seminar aims to address the fears and myths surrounding finding a training contract. Participants will receive practical information and expert guidance in relation to CVs, cover letters and how best to approach the search. You will also hear directly from trainee solicitors who are currently on the Professional Practice Course I. It takes place on 26 January 2015 2.00pm - 5.45 pm for €28.

To reserve your place, book online now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 lawlols

My re-check mark stayed the same too! :( At least we have the notes for the last ones!
    I did that workshop a few years ago and thought it was good for someone who might not have had their CVs checked out before and had some good tips for interviews. We were divided into groups to speak with trainees depending if we preferred small/ medium/ large firms.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rbag

Hi. I am studying for four in March - has anyone got an exam grid for equity?

rbag wrote: »
    Hi. I am studying for four in March - has anyone got an exam grid for equity?

I could do with this too, and one for constitutional!

lawlols wrote: »
    My re-check mark stayed the same too! :( At least we have the notes for the last ones!
    I did that workshop a few years ago and thought it was good for someone who might not have had their CVs checked out before and had some good tips for interviews. We were divided into groups to speak with trainees depending if we preferred small/ medium/ large firms.

I'm glad I didn't spend my whole christmas studying tort now! I'll head along to the workshop as I feel it will be handy whstever the future holds. I think this sitting might be my last attempt at trying to get the 3. I'm not sure now whether to just attempt 3 or attempt four since I've 5 subjects covered already!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dandadub

Where can i get a copy of the last EU and Company Law exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

dandadub wrote: »
    Where can i get a copy of the last EU and Company Law exams?

http://www.lawsociety.ie/Public/Become-a-Solicitor/FE-1-Exam/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

BatPateman wrote: »
    I am aware I have 'tonnes of time', I am just interested in knowing what are the core topics to cover for criminal. I don't want to spend weeks wasting time learning off topics that are never examined.

There is very little scope to leave out topics because he mixes a lot of topics into each question. The only topic that is generally self-contained is practice, procedure, detention and bail so this can be left out but on the other hand it is one of the most frequently examined topics. I left it out when I sat the exam because I had the rest of the syllabus done and there were two full questions on it. Criminal is one of the smallest subjects in the FE-1s so you need to cover 90% of it.

But if you want a list of topics:

1) Characteristics + classification of crime
    2) Actus Reus
    3) Mens Rea
    4) Complicity
    5) Homicide
    6) NFOAP (there are many, know the main ones well and bullet point the rest)
    7) Sexual Offences
    8) Property Offences (same as NFOAP)
    9) Inchoate Offences
    10) Defences
    11) Practice, Procedure, Detention and Bail

Know all of the above in a simple and concise fashion and you will fly through the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TMJK

For Company am I right in saying that for Sept 2014 what came up was:

1) separate legal personality / veil of incorp
    2) Directors's duties
    3) Ultra-vires
    4) Capital Maintenance Rules (+ Directors' duties)
    5) Retention of Title Clauses
    6) S.150 Restrictions
    7) Disposition of Co assets
    8) Directors' duties & obligations, etc

Is that right? Am I getting it??
    Thanks 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 11 charliebabbitt

Anybody with Criminal Sample Answers interested in a swap? Have material from most other subjects

Has everyone got their recheck results in the post?

• Advertisement

Midlecat wrote: »
    Has everyone got their recheck results in the post?

Nope!

lawlols wrote: »
    Nope!

Thanks hopefully today.

Anybody with Criminal Sample Answers interested in a swap? Have material from most other subjects

Do you have constitutional? I can send on some criminal stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭missindigo123

Midlecat wrote: »
    Do you have constitutional? I can send on some criminal stuff.

I have constitutional sample answers if yas want them! I can email them on! If you have any EU, tort or equity I'd be delighted but either way I'll email the sample answers on! PM me ur email

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

I now this is probably a hard question to answer as each exam is different but how many words would one need to be writing per subject? I would ask in pages but this is hard to determine since everybody would have a different amount of words in a page. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14 _becca_

I hope I'm putting this in the right place - just wondering what you guys reckon the chances are of passing the FE1s without doing a prep course/having the manuals? I'm in final year BCL with pretty steady 1.1/2.1 grades and I'd love to get Company and a few others done this autumn. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Can anyone tell me if Qs 6 of the most recent Property paper (Sept 2014) is Proprietary Estoppel or am I going completely in the wrong direction? Is there anything else that would need to be discussed in this qs?

Thought it was strange to have a full qs on estoppel.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Legal125

dashdoll wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if Qs 6 of the most recent Property paper (Sept 2014) is Proprietary Estoppel or am I going completely in the wrong direction? Is there anything else that would need to be discussed in this qs?

Thought it was strange to have a full qs on estoppel.

Thanks.

Don't have the paper but Did u consider as to whether licences are also relevant. Can often be the case with property

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BatPateman

_becca_ wrote: »
    I hope I'm putting this in the right place - just wondering what you guys reckon the chances are of passing the FE1s without doing a prep course/having the manuals? I'm in final year BCL with pretty steady 1.1/2.1 grades and I'd love to get Company and a few others done this autumn. Thanks!

I also studied BCL and had 'steady grades'. The reality is in my experience, that you simply cannot avoid using the revision manuals. The Fe1 exams are looking for a different calibre of answer than is required in the BCL examinations and the manuals are the best way of guiding you in the right direction. If you are looking to cut costs, save your money and look for used manuals for sale online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Legal125 wrote: »
    Don't have the paper but Did u consider as to whether licences are also relevant. Can often be the case with property

Thanks. Here is the question if anyone has any thoughts!

"65-year-old-Lucy has been employed as a live-in housekeeper for Mat for the past 30 years. When she first started working for Mat, Lucy received £20 per week. This was never increased. Over the years, Mat became increasingly dependant on Lucy for things that went above and beyond the role of housekeeper.

Despite the fact that there was no conversation to this effect, Lucy claims that Mat had led her to believe that upon his death, Lucy would be entitled to the house or at the very least, she would have an unequivocal right to remain in it. Lucy stated that this was a mutual understanding between the parties. Mat has now died and has left all of his property to a loca charity.

Lucy seeks your advice on whether she has a claim to any interest in the house."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement