Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭michelle2000

Hi all,

Realise im a bit late to the game here but going to try tackle 4 FE1s in October!
    Graduated with a high 2.1 in law last year so have a general knowledge of law but wondering where to start with these exams.

What 4 would people recommend starting off with?
    Are there any fe1's that are shorter courses / technically easier than others? Im working full time until the end of August - but then will be completely free from sept to next May - so i will have ALOT more time to study for the second batch in March!

Am I right in saying that I have to sit 4 in Oct, but they will count if i pass three?

Where does everyone begin with studying? I have rooted out my lecture notes for each of the 8 topics, do people just read the recommend law books and cover ALL of the topics listed on the Oct 2013 syllabus? What is in these manuals that people on this thread are mentioning? Also and please excuse my ignorance - what are grids?!

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks :) Michelle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Most answers are here already but for my 2 cents go with your 4 best subjects, property is an easier one apparently and get some manual off adverts.ie. This is just from my reading of the threads, not personal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭michelle2000

I have up to date ones, studying from home myself for my first 4 in October. Which grids you looking for?

Hi there - is there any chance you could send these grids onto me too? Id be forever grateful!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sofakingood

Does any1 have up to date grids for EU and company?

I have a lot of sample answers I can swap for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Joanne337

Four FE1 manuals

2 x Criminal (Independent Colleges & City Colleges)
    2 x Constitutional (Independent Colleges & City Colleges)

All past papers, exam grids etc included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 FEfuns

EU Law

I know the biggest reason people fail an FE1 exam is because they haven't covered the entire course, but realistically, is it possible to pass by leaving out some sections of the course but covering the rest to a good standard?

I'm thinking of leaving out Equality and Freedom, Security and Justice, just to make the amount I've to study more manageable. Anyone have any ideas on what would be the "wiser" options in leaving sections out?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 backformore

Hi all,

Realise im a bit late to the game here but going to try tackle 4 FE1s in October!
    Graduated with a high 2.1 in law last year so have a general knowledge of law but wondering where to start with these exams.

What 4 would people recommend starting off with?
    Are there any fe1's that are shorter courses / technically easier than others? Im working full time until the end of August - but then will be completely free from sept to next May - so i will have ALOT more time to study for the second batch in March!

Am I right in saying that I have to sit 4 in Oct, but they will count if i pass three?

Where does everyone begin with studying? I have rooted out my lecture notes for each of the 8 topics, do people just read the recommend law books and cover ALL of the topics listed on the Oct 2013 syllabus? What is in these manuals that people on this thread are mentioning? Also and please excuse my ignorance - what are grids?!

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks :) Michelle

Hi Michelle,

So, you're going to tackle the Fe1s.

I haven't sat any exam for over a year now, but i'll give you my best advice on them.

A good starting point might be Criminal, Property, Contract and EU or Constitutional. I would consider the latter three the "easier" of the Fe1s and it's a good idea to separate constitutional and eu as they are voluminous subjects. That said, I sat both EU and Constitutional together, so it's a personal preference. Also, the "easier" subjects aren't all that easy and, as said, preferences are different for everyone.

If you say you are working, perhaps you might be better aiming to pass three this October and then aiming to pass five in the next sitting when you have more time for next Spring's sitting.

The manuals that everyone talks about are produced by City/Griffith/Independent colleges. They are used with their preparatory courses. They are excellent as they cut out anything that is not required for these exams. There may be some content in your lecture notes that are surplus to requirements for these exams.

The grids list what topics come up on the exams over the years. It is a good way to gauge the more regular topics in particular subjects.

That's a very general overview of your questions above, hope it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 legally away

Anyone have an up to date constitutional grid?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Aislingo55

Anyone have an up to date constitutional grid?

Hello there,

I have grids up until 2011 if thats of any use?

If anybody had some sample answers for both company and criminal I would be most greatful. Willing to provide sample answers for constitutional and tort in return! :)

Aislingo55 wrote: »
    Hello there,

I have grids up until 2011 if thats of any use?

If anybody had some sample answers for both company and criminal I would be most greatful. Willing to provide sample answers for constitutional and tort in return! :)

Hi there,

Thanks for the offer got one up to 11, was trying to get a later one, I've analysed and over analysed the grid at this stage. Course just seems like a mountain.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 lemonliman

Hi all,

I am only now getting to terms with Constitutional and finding it a bit daunting. I was wondering if anyone has a list of the cases which Eoin Carolan name dropped in his seminar earlier this year? I'd be really grateful!

Many thanks,
    LL

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LostOutForeign

Does anyone have grids/exam papers for real property or equity? Trying to see what I could possibly leave out...

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Milkypops

hey does anyone have up to date grids for equity constitutional and company please??

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Legalgrad

I have up to date ones, studying from home myself for my first 4 in October. Which grids you looking for?

Would you have grids for property, equity or criminal? Working from home and struggling to get hold of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Legalgrad

Does anyone have any idea as to what topics to cover for Equity for the October sitting? I have an exam grid up until March 2013 and I have been changing my mind every day for the past week as to what topics to cover. Absolutely stressed! Any help would be much appreciated :/!

Hey Ross, I'm studying equity too but can't get a grid anywhere, starting to freak out! Do you think you could send it on?

Legalgrad wrote: »
    Hey Ross, I'm studying equity too but can't get a grid anywhere, starting to freak out! Do you think you could send it on?

Another freaked out person whos looking for the grid if you could help??

lemonliman wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am only now getting to terms with Constitutional and finding it a bit daunting. I was wondering if anyone has a list of the cases which Eoin Carolan name dropped in his seminar earlier this year? I'd be really grateful!

Many thanks,
    LL

Hi,

Could send on a list of the case names for your own research but am looking for most up to date grids.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tommyslev

Hi, odd question but if someone could have a look at the April 2013 Equity exam paper and tell me question 6 relates to?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

In Criminal that tends to be a stand alone question - Treason, Felony, Misdemeanor; Criminal Law Act 1997; Arrestable/Non-Arrestable; Serious/Non-Serious - Bail Act 1997; Criminal/Civil.

Characteristics of Crime: Melling, etc.

Constitutional: (Carolan paper from UCD update)

1. Doherty v Referendum Commission [2012] IEHC 211;
    2. McCrystal v Minister for Children and Youth Affairs [2012] IESC 53;
    3. Pringle v Ireland [2012] IESC 47;
    4. Mallak v MJELR [2012] IESC 59;
    5. Donegan v Dublin City Council [2012] IESC 18 - See also Kelly v Dublin City Council;
    6. Damache v DPP [2012] IESC 11 - See aso Ted Cunningham Case from CCA;
    7. DPP v Devins [2012] IESC 7;
    8(a). MD v Ireland [2012] IESC 12;
    8(b). GC v DPP [2012] IEHC 430;
    9. Cornec v Morrice [2012] IEHC 376 - See also Walsh v Newsgroup Newspapers [2012] IEHC 353;
    10. Farrell v Governor of Bank of Ireland [2012] IESC 42.

I also think look at Sullivan v Boylan [2012] IEHC 389.

It is necessary to highlight the following cases in terms of criminal law: 6., 7. and 8.

Freedom Expression - 9. and Sullivan v Boylan.

It would be remiss to leave out Article 40.5 and right of access to the Courts re. Farrell.

Edit: Flemming v Ireland; Douglas v DPP; Sullivan v Boylan III.

That's what I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RossLynch33

Legalgrad wrote: »

Sure. I have a grid up to the latest sitting, send us on your email and i'll send it on to you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 RossLynch33

Milkypops wrote: »
    Another freaked out person whos looking for the grid if you could help??

Send us on your email and i'll send it to you!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

tommyslev wrote: »
    Hi, odd question but if someone could have a look at the April 2013 Equity exam paper and tell me question 6 relates to?
    Donatio Mortis Causa.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Law8890

[Moderator edited.]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Law8890 wrote: »
    [Moderator edited.]

This isn't the correct thread for advertising. Go to this one: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056512376&page=20

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ShamblesB

Constitutional is a nightmare! Does anyone have an idea of topics that could be left out?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Tom Young wrote: »
    In Criminal that tends to be a stand alone question - Treason, Felony, Misdemeanor; Criminal Law Act 1997; Arrestable/Non-Arrestable; Serious/Non-Serious - Bail Act 1997; Criminal/Civil.

Characteristics of Crime: Melling, etc.

Constitutional: (Carolan paper from UCD update)

1. Doherty v Referendum Commission [2012] IEHC 211;
    2. McCrystal v Minister for Children and Youth Affairs [2012] IESC 53;
    3. Pringle v Ireland [2012] IESC 47;
    4. Mallak v MJELR [2012] IESC 59;
    5. Donegan v Dublin City Council [2012] IESC 18 - See also Kelly v Dublin City Council;
    6. Damache v DPP [2012] IESC 11 - See aso Ted Cunningham Case from CCA;
    7. DPP v Devins [2012] IESC 7;
    8(a). MD v Ireland [2012] IESC 12;
    8(b). GC v DPP [2012] IEHC 430;
    9. Cornec v Morrice [2012] IEHC 376 - See also Walsh v Newsgroup Newspapers [2012] IEHC 353;
    10. Farrell v Governor of Bank of Ireland [2012] IESC 42.

I also think look at Sullivan v Boylan [2012] IEHC 389.

It is necessary to highlight the following cases in terms of criminal law: 6., 7. and 8.

Freedom Expression - 9. and Sullivan v Boylan.

It would be remiss to leave out Article 40.5 and right of access to the Courts re. Farrell.

Edit: Flemming v Ireland; Douglas v DPP; Sullivan v Boylan III.

That's what I think.
    That's from his March 2013 talk, i.e. the 2012/13 Constitutional Law League table? Hogan's got the Champions league spots sewn right up these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bobsterlfc

Would anyone have an up to date Criminal law grid they could share. mine only goes up to 2010.

Any tips on topics to merge together for studying or leaving out?

Thanks

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Robbo wrote: »
    That's from his March 2013 talk, i.e. the 2012/13 Constitutional Law League table? Hogan's got the Champions league spots sewn right up these days.

True. The previous poster asked for Eoin Carolan's top 10, that's from March. Simply I reposted that from the old FE1 thread.

While Hogan is finding Constitutional point in everything, some cases are 'bigger' than others.

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

just started studying now so realistically will only be able to pass 3 in october. gonna try get criminal, company and contract. not even gonna look at the last one until i've criminal over on Monday. Do I sit equity which I just studied in final year and is supposed to have relatively predictable paper in the hopes that the questions mean something to me and I can get the most from the experience or do I sign up for the dreaded constitutional? Perhaps it would be good to at least sit in the hall and had a paper marked constitutional put in front of me so that next time the panic wont set in until I read the questions? Or maybe constitutional is so unpredictable that having seen one paper wont help me in March? Any thoughts greatly appreciated

• Advertisement

looking for uptodate constitutional and company grid please and thanks! also having never attepmpted constitutional before is there any topic that always comes up??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement