Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

dashdoll wrote: »
    Thanks. Here is the question if anyone has any thoughts!

"65-year-old-Lucy has been employed as a live-in housekeeper for Mat for the past 30 years. When she first started working for Mat, Lucy received £20 per week. This was never increased. Over the years, Mat became increasingly dependant on Lucy for things that went above and beyond the role of housekeeper.

Despite the fact that there was no conversation to this effect, Lucy claims that Mat had led her to believe that upon his death, Lucy would be entitled to the house or at the very least, she would have an unequivocal right to remain in it. Lucy stated that this was a mutual understanding between the parties. Mat has now died and has left all of his property to a loca charity.

Lucy seeks your advice on whether she has a claim to any interest in the house."

Legitimate expectation I would think?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 _becca_

BatPateman wrote: »
    I also studied BCL and had 'steady grades'. The reality is in my experience, that you simply cannot avoid using the revision manuals. The Fe1 exams are looking for a different calibre of answer than is required in the BCL examinations and the manuals are the best way of guiding you in the right direction. If you are looking to cut costs, save your money and look for used manuals for sale online.

Thanks for the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Legal125

dashdoll wrote: »
    Thanks. Here is the question if anyone has any thoughts!

"65-year-old-Lucy has been employed as a live-in housekeeper for Mat for the past 30 years. When she first started working for Mat, Lucy received £20 per week. This was never increased. Over the years, Mat became increasingly dependant on Lucy for things that went above and beyond the role of housekeeper.

Despite the fact that there was no conversation to this effect, Lucy claims that Mat had led her to believe that upon his death, Lucy would be entitled to the house or at the very least, she would have an unequivocal right to remain in it. Lucy stated that this was a mutual understanding between the parties. Mat has now died and has left all of his property to a loca charity.

Lucy seeks your advice on whether she has a claim to any interest in the house."

English case very relevant re nature of the representation/assurance - Thorner v major - whether a reasonable person could rely on conduct that looked like assurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Legal125 wrote: »
    English case very relevant re nature of the representation/assurance - Thorner v major - whether a reasonable person could rely on conduct that looked like assurance.

Thanks for that. I did the exam and passed it in oct but have to resit as I only passed 2 of my first four. In the exam I bluffed it as my last qs and wrote on estoppel...assurance, reliance, detriment but I wasn't sure if that's correct so just trying to figure it out before the next sitting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

_becca_ wrote: »
    I hope I'm putting this in the right place - just wondering what you guys reckon the chances are of passing the FE1s without doing a prep course/having the manuals? I'm in final year BCL with pretty steady 1.1/2.1 grades and I'd love to get Company and a few others done this autumn. Thanks!

Of course you could pass but you would be making it an awful lot harder on yourself for no reason as the manuals can be bought on line for very little. The key to passing the FE-1s is having loads of topics prepared for each exam. If you're trying to study using the books, it will be very hard to write a concise set of notes on a topic as the text books typically go into far too much detail for the FE-1s.....basically you would spend ages going through 30 pages on a topic when you could get the topic covered from 8 pages in a manual. It's simply a much more time efficient way to prepare and from my experience, time and getting enough topics covered are the biggest obstacles. The lectures aren't necessary at all but the manuals really are IMO.

Get yourself on to Adverts.ie and pick up the manuals, past papers + reports and exam grids second hand....loads of people sell them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 _becca_

S12b wrote: »
    Of course you could pass but you would be making it an awful lot harder on yourself for no reason as the manuals can be bought on line for very little. The key to passing the FE-1s is having loads of topics prepared for each exam. If you're trying to study using the books, it will be very hard to write a concise set of notes on a topic as the text books typically go into far too much detail for the FE-1s.....basically you would spend ages going through 30 pages on a topic when you could get the topic covered from 8 pages in a manual. It's simply a much more time efficient way to prepare and from my experience, time and getting enough topics covered are the biggest obstacles. The lectures aren't necessary at all but the manuals really are IMO.

Get yourself on to Adverts.ie and pick up the manuals, past papers + reports and exam grids second hand....loads of people sell them.

That's helpful, thank you, I'll have a look for some second-hand ones somewhere :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭missindigo123

_becca_ wrote: »
    I hope I'm putting this in the right place - just wondering what you guys reckon the chances are of passing the FE1s without doing a prep course/having the manuals? I'm in final year BCL with pretty steady 1.1/2.1 grades and I'd love to get Company and a few others done this autumn. Thanks!

You absolutely can pass without a prep course. I would advice that you get a manual though! They are brilliant!! Company is quiet a difficult exam, criminal, property, land and equity are considered a bit easier & courses are shorter. I think you have to be finished ur degree to be allowed sit them too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lily Belle

Hi guys, just wondering if anybody would be good enough to send on sample answers (from any of the colleges!) for some of the later sittings i.e. October 2011 onwards for Constitutional, EU and Contract. Would be happy to send on any notes/reports/grids I have for the other subjects in exchange!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

Hi, just a quick question- I'm going to be sitting the exams for the first time in March and they want a copy of my degree parchment. Just wondering will the Latin version do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Hi, just a quick question- I'm going to be sitting the exams for the first time in March and they want a copy of my degree parchment. Just wondering will the Latin version do?

Yep, should be fine. I gave them a letter from my college because the deadline was before I graduated officially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭FE1 EXAMS 2013

Hey would anyone know what topics came up in oct sitting 14 for constitutional!!??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

Yep, should be fine. I gave them a letter from my college because the deadline was before I graduated officially.

Thanks. The next problem is how to photocopy that thing it is massive :)

Should do! Thats why I used!

Would anyone happen to know what cases we should focus on for Constitutional paper - the case note question! Are they pulled from random or does he have a list that we should use (please say a list!!!)

Would anyone happen to know what cases we should focus on for Constitutional paper - the case note question! Are they pulled from random or does he have a list that we should use (please say a list!!!)

Sorry, it's random! Focus on the more "topical" cases of the year, maybe?

I can't stand case note questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MJW5

Topical constitutional issues re: Same Sex Marriage Ref - Maybe also cover equality for this and equality would also cover recent constitutional cases on Article 41 such as MR v An t'Ard Chlaraitheoir, Fleming v Ireland etc..?

Sorry, it's random! Focus on the more "topical" cases of the year, maybe?

I can't stand case note questions!

Thanks a mill! Depressing stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LawTalkingGuy

Hi,

I am doing FE1 exams in March of this year.

Do you have to answer all eight questions on the paper?

I don't see any instructions on any of the past papers...

/lionel hutz

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KMPT

Hi,

I am doing FE1 exams in March of this year.

Do you have to answer all eight questions on the paper?

I don't see any instructions on any of the past papers...

/lionel hutz

Answer 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Darren07

Hi guys. Anybody here heading to PPC1 this coming September? Passed all FE1's in November so heading up from Cork. Tough bloody road!!! The whole accommodation search thing bit over-whelming. Any thoughts from the wise folk on here! Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Six weeks to go... :eek:

If one was looking to cut out some unnecessary topics from EU and Tort, what might those be?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Six weeks to go... :eek:

If one was looking to cut out some unnecessary topics from EU and Tort, what might those be?

What topics have you covered already for Tort?

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    What topics have you covered already for Tort?

Not really any. :/ I'm doing all and seriously struggling!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Riverp10

On a similar note, what would be the main topics required for EU, as in the 3/4 most important? Just starting on it now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tiger_cub

Not really any. :/ I'm doing all and seriously struggling!

Also struggling massively with this! Does any one have a list of topics that came up last October?

tiger_cub wrote: »
    Also struggling massively with this! Does any one have a list of topics that came up last October?

I meant I am doing all eight exams. Assume you got that and are in the same boat?!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KMPT

Ok. I am nearly afraid to ask the following because it is a bit much and everyone is studying. But if you can I would really appreciate it. Can anyone tell me what came up for the Property exams in 2014, please? If you only have time to tell me about one paper that's fine too. Thanks and happy study:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

Anyone helpful enough to outline the main topics for EU please! Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Deadline date for applying for the exams is Friday and I still haven't decided whether to do 4 or 5! :-(

Sat four in Sept but only passed two so really unsure of what to do, only starting studying tomorrow too...fml!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement