Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KMPT

dashdoll wrote: »
    Deadline date for applying for the exams is Friday and I still haven't decided whether to do 4 or 5! :-(

Sat four in Sept but only passed two so really unsure of what to do, only starting studying tomorrow too...fml!

3?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

Deadline date for applying for the exams is Friday and I still haven't decided whether to do 4 or 5! :-(

Sat four in Sept but only passed two so really unsure of what to do, only starting studying tomorrow too...fml!

Maybe you should do five so that if one or two go bad you wont lose motivation as you'll still stand a chance to pass your 3? And also you've a good bit done from last time, you could throw the extra one in? I'm going to do four and really only got stuck in this week. I have Company kind of covered from September then tort, eu and constitutional from scratch no notes done nothing just manuals read once.

Next week is my last week on work then 4 weeks off to study straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Midlecat wrote: »
    Maybe you should do five so that if one or two go bad you wont lose motivation as you'll still stand a chance to pass your 3? And also you've a good bit done from last time, you could throw the extra one in? I'm going to do four and really only got stuck in this week. I have Company kind of covered from September then tort, eu and constitutional from scratch no notes done nothing just manuals read once.

Next week is my last week on work then 4 weeks off to study straight.

I am SO jealous of your month off :( Unfortunately can only get off from the Friday before my first exam!! Although several solicitors in my firm have said they took a month before and started then too and passed no bother:) in fact it's probably the best thing to do!

smeal wrote: »
    I am SO jealous of your month off :( Unfortunately can only get off from the Friday before my first exam!! Although several solicitors in my firm have said they took a month before and started then too and passed no bother:) in fact it's probably the best thing to do!

Yea I kind of had to because I've to pass all four. Its unpaid obviously but have a few hols to take. Then I've to find 8.5k for blackhall but sure one step at a time exams first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 1.9.rubberduck

Anyone have any tips as to how to approach getting up to date material for constitutional? my notes are about 2 years old and the last time i bought a manual (griffith college) it was practically identical to the 2012 edition!

• Advertisement

Anyone have any tips as to how to approach getting up to date material for constitutional? my notes are about 2 years old and the last time i bought a manual (griffith college) it was practically identical to the 2012 edition!

http://constitutionproject.ie/

Some of that might be helpful...

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Would anyone be able to list what topics came up in the Equity Sept 14 paper.

I sat it but failed it so repeating it in March but Im unsure of what topics some of the qs relate to

Q1- Charitable Trusts
    Q2- 3 certainties?
    Q3- Im not sure what type of injunction this qs relates to
    Q4- Strong v Bird, Rectification, Advancement
    Q5- ?
    Q6- Constructive Trusts?
    Q7- Undue Influence
    Q8- Trusteeship

Would really appreciate any info!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fe1fun

5 weeks today :-O :-O

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TinkledPink

Anyone have any opinions or tips on the Constitutional case notes question?
    The cases seem completely random and don't repeat year on year. With such a huge syllabus, it kinda narrows the paper down to 7 questions which is a bit harsh considering. It looks to me like a 'Hail Mary' option for if you don't get 5 questions on the day. Not reassuring by any stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Anyone have any opinions or tips on the Constitutional case notes question?
    The cases seem completely random and don't repeat year on year. With such a huge syllabus, it kinda narrows the paper down to 7 questions which is a bit harsh considering. It looks to me like a 'Hail Mary' option for if you don't get 5 questions on the day. Not reassuring by any stretch.

I would also appreciate any help with this :)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tiger_cub

smeal wrote: »
    I would also appreciate any help with this :)!

I haven't done any of the prep courses so this is just me completely guessing, but potentially
    1) Freedom of expression (Je suis Charlie/ Paris attacks)
    2) family rights/equality/ referendum provisions (upcoming same sex marriage referendum)
    3) right to life/bodily integrity/ family rights (that horrible case over the Christmas period)

Most of those unenumerated rights though so keep that in mind.

Know SOP inside out too.

Pure speculation here, don't take my word for anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 d-is-4-dunners

tiger_cub wrote: »
    I haven't done any of the prep courses so this is just me completely guessing, but potentially
    1) Freedom of expression (Je suis Charlie/ Paris attacks)
    2) family rights/equality/ referendum provisions (upcoming same sex marriage referendum)
    3) right to life/bodily integrity/ family rights (that horrible case over the Christmas period)

Most of those unenumerated rights though so keep that in mind.

Know SOP inside out too.

Pure speculation here, don't take my word for anything!

For what its worth having passed constitutional the last time round the examiner doesn't really play up to whats in the news/ topical at the minute.....sorry to say I don't think theres a way of predicting what cases will be in/out.....the only thing I will say about it is they do seem to be the more substantive cases of topics....a bit nasty but I wouldn't bet on anything coming up in it he just seems to pull the cases at random (albeit you'll recognise them all).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Constitutional examiner loves judicial review and fair procedures, etc. I felt like I was sitting an Admin exam in October..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

I know the answer to this already but would I be totally crazy not to cover injunctions in Equity....I just don't like them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

Bayley1 wrote: »
    I know the answer to this already but would I be totally crazy not to cover injunctions in Equity....I just don't like them :(

No you won't! I passed without looking at injunctions ;)

Bayley1 wrote: »

I don't think you'd be crazy to leave out injunctions but I wouldn't recommend it. You'd have to have covered the rest of the topics quite extensively.

Seeing as a Quia Timet question appeared on the last paper, it looks like it should be a question on Mareva or Interlocutory injunctions.

Marevas are relatively short and Interlocutory isn't as tricky as you'd think so long as you have the main cases down.

My advice though if you are definitely thinking about leaving injunctions out would be to hedge your bet and maybe cover either Mareva or Interloc in the hope you pick right. Probably Mareva as its short and due to appear. I can't see a QT question appearing twice in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BatPateman

I would appreciate if anyone could inform me as to what topics were examined in each question for the Tort exam October 2014.

Anyone have any tips for leaving things out in EU, Company or Tort?

Can provide same for Constitutional, Property and Contract!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lawlols

For constitutional law, in the freedom of expression topic, in murphy v irtc the ban on religious advertisement was upheld as constititional and this was also in colgan v independent radio and television.
    Why then do we see religious advertisements on tv, radio and print media if they are banned?

Looking at Equity at the moment, does anyone know if S3 of the Charities Act 2009 is operative yet?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Looking at Equity at the moment, does anyone know if S3 of the Charities Act 2009 is operative yet?

Thanks.

Nope, not yet. Should definitely mention it though. All the recent examiner's reports focus on it!

Nope, not yet. Should definitely mention it though. All the recent examiner's reports focus on it!

Thanks a mil. Yep, have it in my notes but I just wasn't sure if it was in yet or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lawlols

In Constitutional, am I right in thinking that the Employment Equality Amendment (no. 2) Bill 2013 has not come into effect yet?
    Is it true to say that as the law stands at present, teachers can still be discriminated against based on their religion and marital status when they are applying for a job in a Catholic school, because it "goes against the religious ethos of the school"? Thanks!

Can someone tell me what came up on the last property paper please. Or any of the 2014 property papers, if you don't know what came up in the last one. I would really appreciate it. Thanks

KMPT wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what came up on the last property paper please. Or any of the 2014 property papers, if you don't know what came up in the last one. I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Q1 - System of Land Registration (Essay Q)
    Q2 - Succession: Making a Valid Will/Destruction/Proper Provision (Problem Q)
    Q3 - Residential Tenancies Act 2004 (Essay Q)
    Q4 - Adverse Possession (Problem Q)
    Q5 - Succession: Admission of Extrinsic Evidence (Essay Q)
    Q6 - Estoppel Licence/Right of Residence... I Think. (Problem Q)
    Q7 - Contractual Licence (Essay Q)
    Q8 - Easements (Problem Q)

The paper was unusual in that it had 2 full questions on Licences so if you'd studied that chapter well you were laughing. You'd have been fine though with Succession, AP, Easements (3 chapters anyone serious about passing the exam would've studied) and then either Registration/Tenancies to see ya home. Some might give out about the licences but the questions were fair enough iirc.

The paper was unusual in that it had 2 full questions on Licences so if you'd studied that chapter well you were laughing. You'd have been fine though with Succession, AP, Easements (3 chapters anyone serious about passing the exam would've studied) and then either Registration/Tenancies to see ya home. Some might give out about the licences but the questions were fair enough iirc.

Thank you so much! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BatPateman

Hey, any chance you could tell me what came up in the Tort October 2014 Paper as well ?

BatPateman wrote: »
    Hey, any chance you could tell me what came up in the Tort October 2014 Paper as well ?

Six euro will get ya the 8 papers from the last sitting. Check the law society website out.

How does this look for Tort? :confused:

Negligence - Duty of Care, Standard of Care, Causation, Damage, Proof of Negligence.

Nervous shock.

Professional Negligence.

Vicarious Liability.

Occupiers' Liability.

Liability for Animals.

Defamation.

Limitation of Actions.

I need more, don't I? But what?! :o

• Advertisement

How does this look for Tort? :confused:

Negligence - Duty of Care, Standard of Care, Causation, Damage, Proof of Negligence.

Nervous shock.

Professional Negligence.

Vicarious Liability.

Occupiers' Liability.

Liability for Animals.

Defamation.

Limitation of Actions.

I need more, don't I? But what?! :o

Nuisance maybe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement