Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BatPateman

Six euro will get ya the 8 papers from the last sitting. Check the law society website out.

I actually have the paper thanks for that insightful piece of information. If you know anything about the Tort course then you will be aware of the difficulty of identifying what topic is being asked in a given question, especially when you are starting the course from scratch.
    Im just trying to discern what topics were asked in the last paper so I can narrow down the topics from the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 1.9.rubberduck

EU lads......any tips? I'm terrified!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FEar1

Same as that! Hated it in college, even worse now.

I've Free Movement of Goods, Institutions/ Establishing Treaties, Direct Effect and Supremacy, Competition (Art.101 and 102) and Preliminary References so far.

Any thoughts on what to add would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 1.9.rubberduck

FEar1 wrote: »
    Same as that! Hated it in college, even worse now.

I've Free Movement of Goods, Institutions/ Establishing Treaties, Direct Effect and Supremacy, Competition (Art.101 and 102) and Preliminary References so far.

Any thoughts on what to add would be appreciated!

Can i ask what book you're working from? Because the stuff I'm working from now is just confusing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rozenite

What are people covering for Company? Please, any tips? Just starting now and from being overwhelmed, I cannot concentrate on anything. Would truly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Can i ask what book you're working from? Because the stuff I'm working from now is just confusing me!

Actually working out of Independent Colleges manual. Manuals are very handy. For sale all over the internet and not too expensive either. I found the books going into way too much detail. Manuals are more to the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TinkledPink

BatPateman wrote: »
    I actually have the paper thanks for that insightful piece of information. If you know anything about the Tort course then you will be aware of the difficulty of identifying what topic is being asked in a given question, especially when you are starting the course from scratch.
    Im just trying to discern what topics were asked in the last paper so I can narrow down the topics from the beginning.

I wasn't having a go at you. I just thought you mighn't know they sell past papers.

1. Casenotes Question
    2. FMG Q
    3. Competition Q
    4. Institutions
    5. DE of Directives & MS Liability
    6. Citizenship Q

This would be a good start.

rozenite wrote: »
    What are people covering for Company? Please, any tips? Just starting now and from being overwhelmed, I cannot concentrate on anything. Would truly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

These are the ones that come up most often as far as I'm aware. Someone here might add to this or disagree.

1. Directors Duties and Transactions between Directors & Companies.
    2. Company Borrowings
    3. Transfer & Transmission of Shares
    4. Shareholder Protection

If you're using the Indp Coll manuals, check the first 5 chapters out too. They're easy enough and you'll probably get at least one question, maybe two from them if you're lucky. They're only around 50 pages in total.

Note that the Companies Act 2014 will abolish the doctrine of ultra vires so I think Courtney might give it a go on the paper. Something along the lines of "The Ultra Vires doctrine is redundant yad yada and should be abolished. Do you agree?" But this is just me speculating.

Also check out Shareholders Meetings as well as Restrictions. They're really short.

Maybe check out the realisation of corporate assets too if you've time. It seems to come up much more frequently than Receivership, Examinership or Liquidation which surprisingly come up very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BatPateman

I wasn't having a go at you. I just thought you mighn't know they sell past papers.
    -Thats fair enough, its just that when I looked at your comment further down:
    Nuisance maybe.

This seemed to suggest you would know about the tort paper and therefore know what is due based on passed papers and therefore could have written the topics which came up last time instead of pointing out the blatantly obvious fact that the papers are for sale via the law society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 fe1fun

These are the ones that come up most often as far as I'm aware. Someone here might add to this or disagree.

1. Directors Duties and Transactions between Directors & Companies.
    2. Company Borrowings
    3. Transfer & Transmission of Shares
    4. Shareholder Protection

If you're using the Indp Coll manuals, check the first 5 chapters out too. They're easy enough and you'll probably get at least one question, maybe two from them if you're lucky. They're only around 50 pages in total.

Note that the Companies Act 2014 will abolish the doctrine of ultra vires so I think Courtney might give it a go on the paper. Something along the lines of "The Ultra Vires doctrine is redundant yad yada and should be abolished. Do you agree?" But this is just me speculating.

Also check out Shareholders Meetings as well as Restrictions. They're really short.

Maybe check out the realisation of corporate assets too if you've time. It seems to come up much more frequently than Receivership, Examinership or Liquidation which surprisingly come up very little.

That seems like fairly solid advice, I was ready to leave Ultra Vires out completely. But he might be inclined to give it one last outing!

BatPateman wrote: »
    -Thats fair enough, its just that when I looked at your comment further down:

This seemed to suggest you would know about the tort paper and therefore know what is due based on passed papers and therefore could have written the topics which came up last time instead of pointing out the blatantly obvious fact that the papers are for sale via the law society.

I haven't a great grasp tbh on tort right now, certainly not enough to pass. That's gonna change though in the next 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Please don't tell me anyone has started learning off yet! Still finishing notes.

dashdoll wrote: »
    Please don't tell me anyone has started learning off yet! Still finishing notes.

Not yet, but I'll be starting that start soon enough. I hate that feeling where you want to keep writing your notes but know you should start learning cases off. And then when you start learning off, all you want to do is go back and read your notes or the manuals. Such a pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

Not yet, but I'll be starting that start soon enough. I hate that feeling where you want to keep writing your notes but know you should start learning cases off. And then when you start learning off, all you want to do is go back and read your notes or the manuals. Such a pain.

So glad to read these. I'm hoping to finish my notes in the next few days then I will be learning off but I find it easier to learn by writing I get distracted and day dream when just reading :( anyone any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Definitely not only starting some notes... :rolleyes:

Don't think I'll be learning anything off before March!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Ah lads, I'm way behind the lot of you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

I'm repeating some so had some notes already, don't be discouraged :)

Not at all. I think you just have to make a conscious decision at some stage to put the books down and start learning. Obviously, it's going to be different for everyone. Some might start today, others March 9th. What you don't want though is to have a fabulous set of concise notes in front you of which you know nothing.

My thinking on it has always been it's much easier to know the cases off and then learn the principles the week before rather than having a jist of the principles but not knowing case names. The case names are by themselves meaningless and you can't make them up in the exams whereas if you know the cases, you can waffle on about principles and tests to be applied with greater success.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KMPT

Bayley1 wrote: »
    So glad to read these. I'm hoping to finish my notes in the next few days then I will be learning off but I find it easier to learn by writing I get distracted and day dream when just reading :( anyone any suggestions?

Wow. I needed to see these comments. I was totally freaking out last night to the point where I ripped the pages out of the manual for one topic and stapled it together and decided that was my notes. I just wanted to stop making notes and start learning things off. Now that I know how others feel I can stop panicking, breathe and just keep reading...for now :-D :-D

• Advertisement

KMPT wrote: »
    Wow. I needed to see these comments. I was totally freaking out last night to the point where I ripped the pages out of the manual for one topic and stapled it together and decided that was my notes. I just wanted to stop making notes and start learning things off. Now that I know how others feel I can stop panicking, breathe and just keep reading...for now :-D :-D

Some topics are so short anyway, you'd nearly be as well to take out a few pages of the manuals rather than write your own notes which would probably be a lot of what the manual said anyway. At the end of the day, all you ever want is the main point of a case and how it's relevant to the topic at hand which is why I would generally prefer written notes because you can cut out the fluff and background facts from the manuals. It's also why I'm a big fan of nutshells.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 misslegal

Does anyone have a grid for land that they feel like sharing? I can swap ye with Company or contract? Thanks so much! really nervous about trying to get the first four!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fe1fun

Some topics are so short anyway, you'd nearly be as well to take out a few pages of the manuals rather than write your own notes which would probably be a lot of what the manual said anyway. At the end of the day, all you ever want is the main point of a case and how it's relevant to the topic at hand which is why I would generally prefer written notes because you can cut out the fluff and background facts from the manuals. It's also why I'm a big fan of nutshells.

Hadn't actually thought of using nutshells, did you find them useful for some subjects more than others, or where were some of them useless?

fe1fun wrote: »
    Hadn't actually thought of using nutshells, did you find them useful for some subjects more than others, or where were some of them useless?

I rely on the manuals but I bought a few of them before Christmas, mainly for the trickier subjects. I only really go to them if I feel I need to. They're useful in that if you don't know anything about a topic you can read a chapter, (usually 5 of 6 pages) in about 15 minutes and it'll give you a basic understanding of what the topic is about. The chapters are concise which is good and they do explain the fundamentals well, perhaps better than the manuals. On the other hand, I don't think you could go into an exam with just nutshells material and expect to pass.

I wouldn't recommend buying them now though unless you're absolutely stuck with a subject. Having too many sources of information can be as bad if not worse than thinking you've too little and the manuals themselves are more than enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

Can we name and shame awful manuals and nutshells? There is this one manual I'm working off (unfortunately), I really just want to see the writer of it on the receiving end of a swift kick in the sack.

Can we name and shame awful manuals and nutshells? There is this one manual I'm working off (unfortunately), I really just want to see the writer of it on the receiving end of a swift kick in the sack.

What's wrong with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

What's wrong with it?

Is that the EU nutshell by any chance? I bought it for undergrad and it was probably the worst €15 ever spent!!

Although to be honest I'm not really finding any of the nutshells much use for Fe1s. I find the manuals the only way to go!

I'm doing my first FE1 sittings so I apologise in advance for any silly questions! What do people reckon for Equity?

I see people saying specific performance/rectification and Mareva and Interlocutory Injunctions are due. I've also covered Secret Trusts, Constructive Trusts, Constitution of Trusts (Strong v Bird), Trusteeship and Proprietary Estoppel. Thinking of throwing in the 3 certainties as it seems common too.

Any advice is greatly appreciated :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Lolers11

Hey, would someone please put me out of misery and put up the constitutional topics from the last sitting? I'd really appreciate it!!
    I sat the paper and managed to lose the exam paper. Although even if I had the paper Im still not sure I'd be able to identify all the topics (this may explain my repeating 😩)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

What's wrong with it?

Just an awful manual. Half of the cases are not referenced, not even a year, so you are left wondering is the judgement from 2013 or is it Paradine v Jane territory. He left out some really crucial cases in various topics as well. The manual itself is written in a very lazy way too, sometimes a page and a half is taken up by a quotation from a judgement. If I wanted to read judgements I would go on Westlaw, not spend my money buying his crappy manual. Needed to vent all the frustration because this lad is just having a laugh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement