Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Lolers11 wrote: »
    Hey, would someone please put me out of misery and put up the constitutional topics from the last sitting? I'd really appreciate it!!
    I sat the paper and managed to lose the exam paper. Although even if I had the paper Im still not sure I'd be able to identify all the topics (this may explain my repeating 😩)

1. Essay question on the use of proportionality by the courts when assessing the legality of potential interferences with constitutional reforms and whether it needs reform.

2. Essay question on whether the courts view of national sovereignty (per Pringle v Ireland, etc) is too old fashioned for the modern world.

3. Essay question on based on a quote about Article 45 and socio-economic rights.

4. Case note questions - Fleming v Ireland; Maher v Minister for Ag; Murphy v AG; T.D. v Minister for Education.

5. Was there too much deference shown by the courts in MD (a minor) v Ireland (approach of Supreme Court outlined in question).

6. Question on amending the Constitution and use of public funds by political parties for campaigns - see McKenna (no.1) and McKenna (no.2), etc.

7. Judicial Review and Fair Procedure - question very much based in Administrative law.

8. Issues of retrospective applications of the law - fact pattern closely linked to Grealis v DPP and DPP v Judge Devins.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TinkledPink

1. Essay question on the use of proportionality by the courts when assessing the legality of potential interferences with constitutional reforms and whether it needs reform.

2. Essay question on whether the courts view of national sovereignty (per Pringle v Ireland, etc) is too old fashioned for the modern world.

3. Essay question on based on a quote about Article 45 and socio-economic rights.

4. Case note questions - Fleming v Ireland; Maher v Minister for Ag; Murphy v AG; T.D. v Minister for Education.

5. Was there too much deference shown by the courts in MD (a minor) v Ireland (approach of Supreme Court outlined in question).

6. Question on amending the Constitution and use of public funds by political parties for campaigns - see McKenna (no.1) and McKenna (no.2), etc.

7. Judicial Review and Fair Procedure - question very much based in Administrative law.

8. Issues of retrospective applications of the law - fact pattern closely linked to Grealis v DPP and DPP v Judge Devins.

Hope that helps!

That looks like a tough paper. Nobody would have seriously looked at Art 45, and the Indp manual doesn't discuss Pringle as far as I know. The case notes seem a bit more accessible than previous papers but it still seems like people would have struggled for a solid 5th Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Lolers11

Hope that helps!

Thanks a mil!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 add727

That looks like a tough paper. Nobody would have seriously looked at Art 45, and the Indp manual doesn't discuss Pringle as far as I know. The case notes seem a bit more accessible than previous papers but it still seems like people would have struggled for a solid 5th Q.

Yeah, I sat that paper and at the half hour mark I'd say half the people in the hall stood up an left! That said, anyone I spoke to who got anything half decent down for the 5th Q seemed to have passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dsalmon91

This is my first time sitting the FE-1's. I am sitting 3 exams Tort, Company and Criminal. Just wondering if anyone had any tips for me for example best way to approach the exams. I was also wondering should i be concentrating on reading relevant academic articles and know a some important qoutes to include in my answers like in college law exams. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Has anyone received an email or any correspondence back yet from the Law Society after we sent in our application forms?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dsalmon91

smeal wrote: »
    Has anyone received an email or any correspondence back yet from the Law Society after we sent in our application forms?

Yes I recieved a letter about a week after I applied acknowledging receipt of my application and that I would recieve my exam details about 2 weeks prior to the start of the exams. I applied at the start of January.

Dsalmon91 wrote: »
    Yes I recieved a letter about a week after I applied acknowledging receipt of my application and that I would recieve my exam details about 2 weeks prior to the start of the exams. I applied at the start of January.

Panic over! It was sent to my home house.. phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Daryl Strawberry

That const paper looks awful!

That const paper looks awful!

It was! Which is why I'm surprised his report says it was a good sitting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Lolers11

Does it really?? I thought the exam was horrendous.
    It has actually scared me for this sitting as I felt I knew a lot going into it but I could only really answer 3.5 questions and talk rubbish for the rest. I really don't know what else to do to avoid it happening again. Learn really niche areas?!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 apriori

Would anyone be able to give a list of the recent important judgments in (1) Constitutional Law and (2) EU Law?

Although I have the 2012 EU & Constitutional manuals from Independent Colleges, I feel that, and last year's question on the Constitutional papers on Pringle shows, up to date caselaw is essential for FE1s.

I would also assume that the High Court decision in PP v HSE would be a key case to have on any such list.

Thanks!

Depends on what his interpretation of a "good sitting" is, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Does anyone know if the most recent exam reports from the Oct 2014 sitting are out yet?

Thanks.

dashdoll wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the most recent exam reports from the Oct 2014 sitting are out yet?

Thanks.

They are.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Thanks, just ordered some there...hopefully they are quick enough sending them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FEar1

dashdoll wrote: »
    Thanks, just ordered some there...hopefully they are quick enough sending them out!

Ordered some there a week ago and they arrived in two or three days I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

Just finished EU and I am in absolute shock with the amount of work involved. Starting constitution tomorrow and I know that's going to much of the same. I was wondering if anyone could please outline the most important chapters to help me through this depressing time that lays ahead!

Just finished EU and I am in absolute shock with the amount of work involved. Starting constitution tomorrow and I know that's going to much of the same. I was wondering if anyone could please outline the most important chapters to help me through this depressing time that lays ahead!

Get the 'Grounding' topics out of the way first..
    -Due Process
    - Separation of Powers
    - Findings of Unconstitutionality
    - Judicial Review
    - Know the powers of the President, the Oireachtas, the Executive and the Courts etc.

^^^ When you have a grounding in all/most of the above move to what I call the more fun topics!

- Socio Economic Rights
    - Enumerated and Unenumerated rights
    - Examiner seems to be a big fan of property rights- this is gets mixed in a lot with due process and unconstitutionally obtained evidence etc. etc.
    -Will be covering other smaller topics just to be safe- don't have them off the top of my head as I don't have the manual in front of me at the mo!

Although I'm only working off the Sept 2014 lecture videos and manuals I'm not sure what the courses are banking on to come up this time round but the examiner is a big fan of SOP and Due Process and you need to be able to mention these sort of topics the whole way across the board not just in say obvious SOP questions. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

With EU you mean just finished notes or reading or learning off?

• Advertisement

Midlecat wrote: »
    With EU you mean just finished notes or reading or learning off?

Just finished making notes ;)

I'm definitely not still making all my notes...

-Due Process
    - Separation of Powers
    - Judicial Review
    - Know the powers of the President, the Oireachtas, the Executive and the Courts etc.

^^^ When you have a grounding in all/most of the above move to what I call the more fun topics!

- Socio Economic Rights
    - Examiner seems to be a big fan of property rights- this is gets mixed in a lot with due process and unconstitutionally obtained evidence etc. etc.
    -Will be covering other smaller topics just to be safe- don't have them off the top of my head as I don't have the manual in front of me at the mo!

Although I'm only working off the Sept 2014 lecture videos and manuals I'm not sure what the courses are banking on to come up this time round but the examiner is a big fan of SOP and Due Process and you need to be able to mention these sort of topics the whole way across the board not just in say obvious SOP questions. :)

Thanks so much!! Will lash into that today!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

Phew was panicking there. I've some notes for company and constitutional done. none for EU or tort just read once the manuals. I don't think I'll have time for notes after this week. I might just work from manual and hope for best:)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

What have you covered for EU? (rather, what have you left out for it:P )I still have to do Competition law, State Aid, Merger and equality.. and I think I am going to leave private international law altogether ... and leaving out Case note.. . I just typed notes out :/

Still have to start Cons myself... eh.. the joy...

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

-Due Process
    - Separation of Powers
    - Judicial Review

- Socio Economic Rights

haha the more ' fun' topic... :P ehhh...

LawCQ91 wrote: »
    What have you covered for EU? (rather, what have you left out for it:P )I still have to do Competition law, State Aid, Merger and equality.. and I think I am going to leave private international law altogether ... and leaving out Case note.. . I just typed notes out :/

Still have to start Cons myself... eh.. the joy...

Well, I've covered institutions, sources of EU law, supremacy/direct effect, the freedoms, citizenship, competition, equality.

Not sure, if i'll cover state aids and mergers, or free movement of capital. Not sure how often those areas are asked as I dont have a grid. I hope I'm not leaving myself short. What are you covering?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 FE1Qatar

Guys I need serious help! Anyone completing any courses that are currently giving out 'tips'? I'm sitting constitutional for the SEVENTH time!!! I need to pass it!!! HELP!!!!

FE1Qatar wrote: »
    Guys I need serious help! Anyone completing any courses that are currently giving out 'tips'? I'm sitting constitutional for the SEVENTH time!!! I need to pass it!!! HELP!!!!

Not sure what to tell you. You gotta cover the basic chapters (as someone said above) and then work your way out to the Rights/Freedoms/Roles etc.

The must do topics seem to be SoP, Personal Rights, JR Principles, Due Course, Equality, Property, Expression, Family/Edu, Fundamental Rights Principles.

• Advertisement

FE1Qatar wrote: »

If you've studied for it seven times and not passed, maybe it's your answering technique?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement