Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Troels Hartmann

On the dreaded "Note" questions in Constitutional: Have any of the courses (Griffith, Independent) or maybe the Examiner's reports given any guidance on these and specifically whether you can flesh them out a bit with reference to other cases?

For example, you could hardly do a note on McCrystal without mentioning McKenna in some detail; or PP v HSE (if it arose) without mentioning X, Re A Ward, etc in some detail.

Just interested to know if that had been commented on. It seems strange (to me at least) if the examiner is just looking for notes on a case in isolation

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TinkledPink

On the dreaded "Note" questions in Constitutional: Have any of the courses (Griffith, Independent) or maybe the Examiner's reports given any guidance on these and specifically whether you can flesh them out a bit with reference to other cases?

For example, you could hardly do a note on McCrystal without mentioning McKenna in some detail; or PP v HSE (if it arose) without mentioning X, Re A Ward, etc in some detail.

Just interested to know if that had been commented on. It seems strange (to me at least) if the examiner is just looking for notes on a case in isolation

Good question. I don't have an answer but my impression is that you'd talk about the case itself and then place it in its wider context and discuss this if you had to. I can't see how that would be wrong.

I know for EU, you discuss the facts of the case, what was actually decided and how it impacts that area of EU law. Probably the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

I'd imagine a slight background to the case, don't hound the examiner with pages upon pages of facts of the case, bit of background to the law prior to the case if you can, the main judgments and principles that stem from the case and how it has an impact on the law now.. Also don't forget to discuss why/how the court found the Act/piece of legislation unconstitutional/constitutional.. it's very easy to go off on a tangent and not mention the constitutionality once!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Shan89

Hi, could anyone briefly tell me what the main changes in the new companies act are? Or tell me where I could find a summary.. I'm working off last years manual?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fe1fun

Shan89 wrote: »
    Hi, could anyone briefly tell me what the main changes in the new companies act are? Or tell me where I could find a summary.. I'm working off last years manual?

Thanks

Some of the big firms like Arthur Cox, A&L and Mason Hayes Curran, have sections with good succinct explanations. There should be enough there.

• Advertisement

Jaysus lads, just thinking if there was ever a time to pass company law it'd be now. Save the bother of going back and learning completely new stuff.

Does anyone have the gist of an answer to Q6 from the previous Tort exam.

The facts are quite long and I'm not sure which are relevant and which aren't.

The problem itself is about the woman who installs a stove for another person free of charge. She fails to read the instructions properly and the stove causes a spark which destroys a laptop which held the only copy of an employer's customer database which they spent a lot acquiring. It's somewhat long-winded but you've to assess the installer's possible liability to the employer.

It seems to be a case for an action in negligence but what areas should be focused on?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Troels Hartmann

Jaysus lads, just thinking if there was ever a time to pass company law it'd be now. Save the bother of going back and learning completely new stuff.

Well not entirely. A vast amount of it will remain intact - the general principles, if not the detail. And the raft of case law will still apply when it comes to interpreting the provisions of the new act.....

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭vickyplumx

Has anybody any thoughts on not doing property offences in criminal? I'm not too keen on that topic! Surely there's always one a on it though?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

So....I see the Companies Act 2014 has been signed into law.

When did this happen...think I've been living under a stone!

As far as the exam goes, is a few lines here and there sufficient? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissM89

Hi All
    Just wondering about bringing in the legislation for EU - is Blackstone the best bet? Also, is it ok to bring in the 2014/2015 version?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bobsterlfc

The City Colleges lectures has advised for the Constitutional case note Q you give the facts of the case, why the case is relevant and any other cases that may be required to back up an answer. i.e. its a mini essay question on an area of Constitutional Law disguised as a case note question

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FEar1

MissM89 wrote: »
    Hi All
    Just wondering about bringing in the legislation for EU - is Blackstone the best bet? Also, is it ok to bring in the 2014/2015 version?

Was just about to ask this too

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭neesie_85

Does any one have an up to date Contract Law Exam Grid?

I can swap an up to date EU grid if anyone needs that.

I have done all my notes and want to see if I can leave anything out or if I have left something out that I need. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭kiwi33

Just wondering what topics people are doing for property, contract and equity. Im doing them first time from scratch. If anyone would give me up to date exam grids that would be great but I have nothing to offer in return!! :(

Has anybody got letter from lawsociety confirming their application yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

kiwi33 wrote: »
    Has anybody got letter from lawsociety confirming their application yet?

Yep just an acknowledgment of my application via post :) Says exam numbers etc will follow :)

smeal wrote: »
    Yep just an acknowledgment of my application via post :) Says exam numbers etc will follow :)

I haven't heard anything yet!! How long ago was that?! Has anyone else not heard anything??

smeal wrote: »

I haven't heard anything yet!! How long ago was that?! Has anyone else not heard anything??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

I put my application in the Tuesday before the deadline and heard back the week after. You can email them about it, could be a backlog or wrong address.

• Advertisement

I put my application in the Tuesday before the deadline and heard back the week after. You can email them about it, could be a backlog or wrong address.

I had it in a good while before deadline.. Darn it. Has it happened to anyone before??

• Registered Users Posts: 4 FE1Qatar

FE1 fear is striking again with Friday loaming...only 3 weeks!!!

Anyone had any more tips on Constitutional!? or a crystal ball of answers??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

FE1Qatar wrote: »
    FE1 fear is striking again with Friday loaming...only 3 weeks!!!

Anyone had any more tips on Constitutional!? or a crystal ball of answers??!!

Still slogging away through the manual. Not quite sure how I'm supposed to memorise everything hahah! I was using Griffith manuals before but now using the Independent one. It's better worded but the chapters are different, covering different things under different headings. Seems strange. Getting worried myself as I feel, despite me working through the chapters, they just don't seem to end!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

Still slogging away through the manual. Not quite sure how I'm supposed to memorise everything hahah! I was using Griffith manuals before but now using the Independent one. It's better worded but the chapters are different, covering different things under different headings. Seems strange. Getting worried myself as I feel, despite me working through the chapters, they just don't seem to end!

Same feeling... it's such a big course...actually so draining! just typing away at the mo... gonna be hell trying to learn it all.. prob going have to cut some chapters out

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Daryl Strawberry

When usually do the night before notes come out do people know?

Any thoughts on covering the following for Property?

Succession
    Adverse Possession
    Finding/Treasure Trove
    Co-Ownership
    Family Home Protection
    Easements
    Proprietary Estoppel

Wonder am I cutting it a bit fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Does anyone have an October 14 exam paper + report for constitutional?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19 add727

How hard a marker is the Company examiner supposed to be? I'm don't think I'm really struggling with anything on the course (yet!), but a lot of his exam reports say only 40% or 50% of candidates passed, which is really unnerving me!

add727 wrote: »
    How hard a marker is the Company examiner supposed to be? I'm don't think I'm really struggling with anything on the course (yet!), but a lot of his exam reports say only 40% or 50% of candidates passed, which is really unnerving me!

I got 32% in the last sitting and while I knew I didn't pass, I thought I would have gotten around 40-45% anway so I'd say definitely a harder marker than other subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 prettylamp

I ordered the October Sitting Examiners' Report over a week ago and still no sign of it in the post. Anyone know how long they usually take to arrive?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement