Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FEar1

prettylamp wrote: »
    I ordered the October Sitting Examiners' Report over a week ago and still no sign of it in the post. Anyone know how long they usually take to arrive?

I've ordered twice and the longest its taken is 3 days to be delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FEar1

dashdoll wrote: »
    Any thoughts on covering the following for Property?

Succession
    Adverse Possession
    Finding/Treasure Trove
    Co-Ownership
    Family Home Protection
    Easements
    Proprietary Estoppel

Wonder am I cutting it a bit fine?

I've the exact same but I did licences as well just to be sure. It's not a crazy difficult topic either. That or registration of land I thought would leave me covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

Succession
    Adverse Possession
    Finding/Treasure Trove
    Co-Ownership
    Family Home Protection
    Easements
    Proprietary Estoppel

I hope not because I'm covering the same topics

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

add727 wrote: »
    How hard a marker is the Company examiner supposed to be? I'm don't think I'm really struggling with anything on the course (yet!), but a lot of his exam reports say only 40% or 50% of candidates passed, which is really unnerving me!

I must be the only one who thought he was fair in marking the paper?
    I ran out of time and didn't really have a 5th question, literally bullet point on the page and wrote down whatever I could find on the acts about shares..and mentioned one case about share transfer, I don't think I would have gotten more than 3-4% on the last Q and I still passed at 57%
    That said, I did have two very good questions, and two ok questions..
    not sure if it helps :)

and.. everyone said Property was an easy marker , I thought I did really well (maybe it was all in my head :P) I had 4 good enough questions and 1 ok Q and only passed at 52% so I really don't know how they are marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

add727 wrote: »
    How hard a marker is the Company examiner supposed to be? I'm don't think I'm really struggling with anything on the course (yet!), but a lot of his exam reports say only 40% or 50% of candidates passed, which is really unnerving me!

Don't listen to the talk that Courtney is a really hard marker. Not to be a d**k, but these claims are always made by people who failed the exam, and so it's a mistake which has dragged their marks down, not Courtney's marking. I put in the same amount of work for all the exams, I was able to write 5 solid answers in each exam and when I got my results, they were all pretty much the same....give or take 5 or 6 marks.

A good answer paper is a good answer paper....answer 5 questions where you actually address the specific question asked and provide 2 or 3 bits of authority and you will fly through....when I sat my first four, I wondered the exact same thing but the standard required is no different to college!! I can't stress it enough, 5 answers on point with a few relevant cases and you will pass with no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Daryl Strawberry

S12b wrote: »
    Don't listen to the talk that Courtney is a really hard marker. Not to be a d**k, but these claims are always made by people who failed the exam, and so it's a mistake which has dragged their marks down, not Courtney's marking. I put in the same amount of work for all the exams, I was able to write 5 solid answers in each exam and when I got my results, they were all pretty much the same....give or take 5 or 6 marks.

A good answer paper is a good answer paper....answer 5 questions where you actually address the specific question asked and provide 2 or 3 bits of authority and you will fly through....when I sat my first four, I wondered the exact same thing but the standard required is no different to college!! I can't stress it enough, 5 answers on point with a few relevant cases and you will pass with no problems.

Probably the best post ever made in this thread

What do people think about the following chapters for cons?

- due course
    - right to silence
    - personal liberty
    - right to Jury

Very tempted to leave all of them out.. is it a stupid idea :/

what are people leaving out for cons?

I need to stop typing notes soon...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

LawCQ91 wrote: »
    What do people think about the following chapters for cons?

- due course
    - right to silence
    - personal liberty
    - right to Jury

Very tempted to leave all of them out.. is it a stupid idea :/

what are people leaving out for cons?

I need to stop typing notes soon...:(

I'm doing due course and right to silence. Not sure what I'm leaving out yet but I will post everything I'm covering in a couple of days to see what the rest of you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

I wouldn't leave out due process- Its a long chapter but it's definitely not the worst. Elements of it can pop up all over the paper..

Ahhhh Constitutional notes are taking me so SO long!! Have 5 hours of my lecture videos left so hopefully get them finished tomorrow AND then I have to start criminal entirely! Going to be a fun two weeks plus working full time right up until the 6th with first exam on the 10th!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

Succession
    Adverse Possession
    Finding/Treasure Trove
    Co-Ownership
    Family Home Protection
    Easements
    Proprietary Estoppel

I also covered licenses and mortgages but I think I'm going to leave out registration. Just seems really technical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭qwerty1991

Hi,

Would anyone be able to give me the FE1 exam timetable for October 2014? I cannot seem to find it anywhere online. I just want to see it to have some idea of when the exams will be this autumn. Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭vickyplumx

Has anyone stayed in bewleys newlands cross for these. I'm sitting contract so have to drive up the 17th and stay that night. Red cow is booked out and ibis is 149 😱 robbery as it's so basic! Just wondering re bewleys is it close enough ?

Ok I've summed up what I'm doing for Constitutional. Had to leave out a few things because I just don't have time.

1) Due Course
    2) S.O.P
    3) Findings of Unconstitutionality
    4) Institutions of State (although I did only cover basics)
    5) Principles of Fundamental Rights
    6) Findings of Unconstitutionality
    7) Right to a Jury
    8) Property Rights
    9) Abortion
    10) Freedom of Speech

Do I have enough? I decided to leave out equality.. No time!

smeal wrote: »
    Ok I've summed up what I'm doing for Constitutional. Had to leave out a few things because I just don't have time.

1) Due Course
    2) S.O.P
    3) Findings of Unconstitutionality
    4) Institutions of State (although I did only cover basics)
    5) Principles of Fundamental Rights
    6) Findings of Unconstitutionality
    7) Right to a Jury
    8) Property Rights
    9) Abortion
    10) Freedom of Speech

Do I have enough? I decided to leave out equality.. No time!

From what I can gather, the lady in independent colleges doesn't think Right to jury is going to come up at all... so I am leaving it out. But I guess if you are doing Criminal anyway there is prob no harm. you had two 'Findings of Unconstitutionality' I presume one of it you meant JR ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Doesn't equality tend to come up a lot as something to talk about in problem questions on rights?

Ah lads, actually can't cope with how much I have left to do. Pretty sure I won't be sleeping until this time next month!

From what I can gather, the lady in independent colleges doesn't think Right to jury is going to come up at all... so I am leaving it out. But I guess if you are doing Criminal anyway there is prob no harm. you had two 'Findings of Unconstitutionality' I presume one of it you meant JR ?

haha my eyes have gone! Yep I meant JR for one of those! Thanks for that :)

quick Question , for the chapter in Courts for constitutional

I know the bit about public admin of justice/removal of judges/Independence might come up...

Anyone know if the bit about Courts of local/limited jurisdiction/HC/SC and special Criminal Court ever come up on it's own before?
    I just can't see how it can be examined? Or Am i missing something here.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TinkledPink

quick Question , for the chapter in Courts for constitutional

I know the bit about public admin of justice/removal of judges/Independence might come up...

Anyone know if the bit about Courts of local/limited jurisdiction/HC/SC and special Criminal Court ever come up on it's own before?
    I just can't see how it can be examined? Or Am i missing something here.

I skipped it.

I skipped it.

Thanks for the quick reply, I might as well..

Thanks for the quick reply, I might as well..

Yeah, I'm happy enough to leave it out. You may want some more verification on this than me though. It does seem however that judicial independence and the public administration of justice are the main issues.

Anyone know if the court's jurisdictions have been relevant on previous Constit exam papers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tiger_cub

Would anyone be able to post the topics that came up in the Tort paper last September? For anyone who has already sat it, is there anyway to narrow down the list of topics?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭EthanSS

Does anybody have any notes on the new Court of Appeal for Criminal Law? Could it be left off the paper as it's so new? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭vickyplumx

EthanSS wrote: »
    Does anybody have any notes on the new Court of Appeal for Criminal Law? Could it be left off the paper as it's so new? Thanks in advance.

Oh my god what???! There's a new court?! ****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

vickyplumx wrote: »
    Oh my god what???! There's a new court?! ****

Yeah, we had a referendum on it in 2013. The Court of Criminal Appeal is being abolished and replaced!

Just Googled it there quickly, Arthur Cox and MHC have a note it. Citizens Information website has too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 prior212

For Company:
    Is doing-
    SLP,
    All directors,
    Shares and share transfer,
    corporate borrowings,
    minority protection and disposition of assets,
    enough to get by?

prior212 wrote: »
    For Company:
    Is doing-
    SLP,
    All directors,
    corporate borrowings,
    enough to get by?

I admire your ambition.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Troels Hartmann

prior212 wrote: »
    For Company:
    Is doing-
    SLP,
    All directors,
    corporate borrowings,
    enough to get by?

I have a post further up the thread on what I've done for Company. Honestly, I think you're taking a risk by limiting yourself to these topics.

My own list was just about enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Iamthewalrus89

Exam fear has driven me to my first Boards post. Apparently the Constitutional corrector gives a lecture in January every year which has a list of the 12 most interesting cases in Constitutional law from the previous year, it's obviously not an absolute necessity to have it to pass but I think a sketch knowledge of those cases couldn't hurt, does anyone know of a way to access this coveted list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭missindigo123

anyone any suggestions on what can be left out for tort and Constitutional? So overwhelmed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭missindigo123

vickyplumx wrote: »
    Has anyone stayed in bewleys newlands cross for these. I'm sitting contract so have to drive up the 17th and stay that night. Red cow is booked out and ibis is 149 😱 robbery as it's so basic! Just wondering re bewleys is it close enough ?

You could try get somewhere on the Luas line? As far as I know, Bewleys and Ibis are the only ones near by! Th

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement