Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 apriori

What were the major Constitutional law cases of 2014?

What were the major EU law cases of 2014?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

prior212 wrote: »
    For Company:
    Is doing-
    SLP,
    All directors,
    Shares and share transfer,
    corporate borrowings,
    minority protection and disposition of assets,
    enough to get by?

On a percentage basis, and provided you know those topics well, I'd say that would get you by maybe 50% of the time....you're taking big risks there....another 3 regularly asked topics and you'd probably be ok 85% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭southcounty

Started EU today completely baffled by direct effect already...haven't a hope!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

Started EU today completely baffled by direct effect already...haven't a hope!! :(

You have started learning already? :eek:
    I am still making notes...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 add727

S12b wrote: »
    Don't listen to the talk that Courtney is a really hard marker. Not to be a d**k, but these claims are always made by people who failed the exam, and so it's a mistake which has dragged their marks down, not Courtney's marking. I put in the same amount of work for all the exams, I was able to write 5 solid answers in each exam and when I got my results, they were all pretty much the same....give or take 5 or 6 marks.

A good answer paper is a good answer paper....answer 5 questions where you actually address the specific question asked and provide 2 or 3 bits of authority and you will fly through....when I sat my first four, I wondered the exact same thing but the standard required is no different to college!! I can't stress it enough, 5 answers on point with a few relevant cases and you will pass with no problems.

Only seeing this now - cut off from the internet for the weekend; best decision ever! Wise words there, it is just another one of the subjects at the end of the day and a good answer is a good answer; to the point and some case law to back it up. Be grand....by the exam...hopefully....!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Does anyone happen to know if any of the FE1 examiners have changed between this sitting and the last one?

Particularly interested in Company, Criminal, Property and Equity.

I thought this might be on the Law Society website but haven't seen it.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Arcturus2112

Can anyone shed light on what were the major Constitutional law cases and EU law cases of 2014?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TMJK

To save me from my absolute panic does anyone have a copy of the Sept 2014 Constitutional paper?? It'd be very very much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

TMJK wrote: »
    To save me from my absolute panic does anyone have a copy of the Sept 2014 Constitutional paper?? It'd be very very much appreciated!

I posted the topics a few pages back.

Any views on whether the following is enough for EU law?

• Free Movement of Goods
    • Citizenship
    • Supremacy, Direct Effect, MS Liability
    • Equality
    • Judicial Review
    • Fundamental Rights
    • Competition Law
    • Preliminary Reference procedure

• Advertisement

Any views on whether the following is enough for EU law?

• Free Movement of Goods
    • Citizenship
    • Supremacy, Direct Effect, MS Liability
    • Equality
    • Judicial Review
    • Fundamental Rights
    • Competition Law
    • Preliminary Reference procedure

I'd throw in the Institutions myself (really easy and nearly all in the treaties!) since you're presumably leaving out the case note question?but otherwise that looks pretty solid to me.

I'd throw in the Institutions myself (really easy and nearly all in the treaties!) since you're presumably leaving out the case note question?but otherwise that looks pretty solid to me.

Thanks. Regarding the case notes, yeah I'm leaving it out. It just seems impossible to know with any reasonable degree of probability. It seems it's not something you can really prepare for. Ditto for constitutional..

Good point on Institutions and so much about them being in the book. I might try get a few cases to go with each (if I have time) and hope that would cover it!

Just reading some Equity notes....does anyone happen to know if S3 of the Charities Act 2009 is operative yet?

I have notes saying that it isn't but not sure if this is outdated.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

dashdoll wrote: »
    Just reading some Equity notes....does anyone happen to know if S3 of the Charities Act 2009 is operative yet?

I have notes saying that it isn't but not sure if this is outdated.

Thanks.

It is as of last October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

What would be good topics to focus on for Criminal? I flicked through the papers and noticed they really like asking specific questions like a whole essay on the presumption of innocence for example.

It is as of last October.

Great thanks a mil for that. Am I wrong in saying I won't need to overhaul my notes that much as it only needs to be mentioned re changes to the public benefit requirement etc for charitable trusts?

dashdoll wrote: »
    Great thanks a mil for that. Am I wrong in saying I won't need to overhaul my notes that much as it only needs to be mentioned re changes to the public benefit requirement etc for charitable trusts?

I think you're right there but maybe don't quote me on that! I'll try look over my own notes later and get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 05588081

Hi there, I am starting Blackhall in September this year and I was just wondering has anybody seen an improvement in trainee salaries and fees paid. Anyone willing to share examples of salary and fees offered?

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

FE1 newbie here, stupid question ahead. When ye refer to 'manuals' on this thread, are ye talking about The Law Society manuals or manuals from the grind colleges such as Griffith/City/Independent?

Don't know where to start buying books/manuals.

FE1 newbie here, stupid question ahead. When ye refer to 'manuals' on this thread, are ye talking about The Law Society manuals or manuals from the grind colleges such as Griffith/City/Independent?

Don't know where to start buying books/manuals.

Grinds colleges. Sadly there are no such thing as Law Society manuals! They give you the syllabus (on their website) and recommend textbooks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

Hi can anyone shed some light on the best way to approach study, for example condense chapter to notes and learn off or just do several exam style questions on the chapter and learn off?? anyone know from experience what worked best?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

does anyone know

Mileyt wrote: »
    Hi can anyone shed some light on the best way to approach study, for example condense chapter to notes and learn off or just do several exam style questions on the chapter and learn off?? anyone know from experience what worked best?

For me, preparing a general set of notes on the topic is better because you're prepared for whatever question comes up on the topic.....if you just cover past questions, you're focusing in on a few parts of a topic but if the examiner changes approach and asks the question in a different way, you could get caught.

By all means, go through the papers and know how the examiner likes to ask topics but for me, the safest approach is a complete set of condensed notes on the topic. Learn them off and then study the papers to confirm your notes cover all the past questions....sometimes you might need to add a tiny bit more detail from a textbook to be able to answer a question completely e.g a very recent case isn't in the manual but if you read the examiners report, they will draw attention to the case and it's importance. Get a textbook and get a few lines on the case so you can add it to your answer....having the most recent cases will make you stand out from the rest.

Had anyone received any more info from the Law Society yet? Anyone waiting on info on disability arrangements in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

Grinds colleges. Sadly there are no such thing as Law Society manuals! They give you the syllabus (on their website) and recommend textbooks.

Thanks for that. I didn't actually think there were Law Society manuals but then when I was looking for Nutshells on Amazon I came across these and that's what confused me. What are these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=law%20society%20manuals

• Registered Users Posts: 21 prettylamp

Those are for the PPC1 exams you do when you are actually in Blackhall Place.

Mileyt wrote: »

For me.

Notes for each topic = typed/written, more comprehensive notes
    this will give me a better understanding of each topic

if I have time = handwritten short notes for important topics

Right before the exam (like a few days before) = learn cases names

Everyone is different, I think my way of learning is very 'clumsy' and time consuming but it works for me! I wish I could just learn by reading the manuals

I don't really do past papers - Never really have time! I suppose it would help!

I don't really believe in learning sample answers/essays ' off by heart'.

hope it helps

... as of now, I am still on my stage 1.. worrying lol

Had anyone received any more info from the Law Society yet? Anyone waiting on info on disability arrangements in particular.

nope, haven't got a letter with the examination number or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

I'm the exact same as LawCQ91!

I've been making notes (typed) for months now and in the days before the exam I try do up short bullets of my own notes especially when learning off cases. Although at this minute in time I could give you a general overview of topics I honestly couldn't tell you anything about most cases bar the main ones. I too learn things off in the days leading up to the exam. Luckily the way my exams fall I have 2/3 days in between each so they will be the days I actually lock myself away and learn!

I've also veered away from consuming my time with past papers/exam grids as I find too many people panic themselves over them and even for undergrad, I rarely looked at a past paper in advance of an exam. Everyone is different though and this is just my personal way of studying! Similar to LawCQ91 I wish I could sit and learn from a manual but my concentration levels would probably last the best of 5 mins!:)

• Advertisement

smeal wrote: »
    I'm the exact same as LawCQ91!

I've been making notes (typed) for months now and in the days before the exam I try do up short bullets of my own notes especially when learning off cases. Although at this minute in time I could give you a general overview of topics I honestly couldn't tell you anything about most cases bar the main ones. I too learn things off in the days leading up to the exam. Luckily the way my exams fall I have 2/3 days in between each so they will be the days I actually lock myself away and learn!

I've also veered away from consuming my time with past papers/exam grids as I find too many people panic themselves over them and even for undergrad, I rarely looked at a past paper in advance of an exam. Everyone is different though and this is just my personal way of studying! Similar to LawCQ91 I wish I could sit and learn from a manual but my concentration levels would probably last the best of 5 mins!:)

+1 on all of this, I've spent 4 months prepping detailed Constitutional law notes yet right now, I'd fail miserably......I'll learn all my notes off in the next 2 weeks and suddenly the exam papers look a whole lot more manageable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement