Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissM89

I feel the same as the three ppl above me - for me its all about typing notes, then shortening them down until I have everything on a flash card for the day before the exam!! God I cannot wait until these things are over!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

I would be similar- set of notes written out from the combined manual+textbook, then distilled into smaller notes on flashcards or a4 pages and then further distilled into just case names and relevant sections. Doing this for 3 out of my 4 exams, the last one I'm just looking at exam papers and nutshell. Hope it works because I am doing this at the expense of a 20,000 word thesis I should have started a long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

Had anyone received any more info from the Law Society yet? Anyone waiting on info on disability arrangements in particular.

I got my exam number today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Bayley1 wrote: »
    I got my exam number today

I live beside the Law Society and never get things in the post from them first. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

hi everyone quick question on competition law.

I am just after confusing myself can someone clarify the following please?

So under Art 101, it prohibits an agreement/concerted practices
    and under the concerted practice section it talks about disclose price sensitive information etc

then under the horizontal agreement sections, it says an example is sharing future pricing information.
    is there any relationship between the two? isn't it pretty much the same thing?

I can't even understand why I am confused even...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭southcounty

I'm covering this today so I'll get back to you later on that if I can
    LawCQ91 wrote: »

and under the concerted practice section it talks about disclose price sensitive information etc

then under the horizontal agreement sections, it says an example is sharing future pricing information.

I'm covering this today so I'll get back to you later on that if I can

Thank you, please do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 genuinely55

A Horizontal Agreement like a Vertical Agreement is an example of an agreement/concerted practice/decision as defined under Article 101.

A Horizontal Agreement is where, for example, two manufacturers of a product enter into a concerted practice. Whereas, a Vertical Agreement is where, for example, a distributor and a manufacturer enter into a concerted practice.

So there is overlap because the manual is explaining:

1. What a Concerted Practice is, and
    2. Examples of Concerted Practices.

Hope that helps!

A Horizontal Agreement like a Vertical Agreement is an example of an agreement/concerted practice/decision as defined under Article 101.

A Horizontal Agreement is where, for example, two manufacturers of a product enter into a concerted practice. Whereas, a Vertical Agreement is where, for example, a distributor and a manufacturer enter into a concerted practice.

So there is overlap because the manual is explaining:

1. What a Concerted Practice is, and
    2. Examples of Concerted Practices.

Hope that helps!

AH.. yes i see what you mean. I guess I was confused with the wording,
    I thought the wording 'Horizontal Agreement' the 'agreement' part only referred to an 'agreement ' and not a 'concerted practice'..

So really though, can there be such thing as a vertical concerted practice? I thought the whole point of a concerted practice is meeting between competitors... which is horizontal?

I am sorry for all the questions ha! I think I am just thinking too much... :rolleyes:

AH.. yes i see what you mean. I guess I was confused with the wording,
    I thought the wording 'Horizontal Agreement' the 'agreement' part only referred to an 'agreement ' and not a 'concerted practice'..

So really though, can there be such thing as a vertical concerted practice? I thought the whole point of a concerted practice is meeting between competitors... which is horizontal?

I am sorry for all the questions ha! I think I am just thinking too much... :rolleyes:

A Concerted Practice is basically a sneaky Agreement. Like Concerted Practice is there to catch Agreements with no paper trail etc. So if an Agreement is possible then so is a concerted practice. So as far as I know a Vertical Concerted Practice is certainly possible.

I don't think you can seperate the concepts of 'agreement' and 'concerted practice'. I think CP is there merely to catch sly 'agreements'.

Now that you mention it they probably do use the word 'agreement' a bit loosely in the manual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Legaleagle1991

Hi. Just wondering could somebody tell me where I could get an original copy of the succession act that you can bring into exam. I know I've left it late to get it

Hi. Just wondering could somebody tell me where I could get an original copy of the succession act that you can bring into exam. I know I've left it late to get it

Government Publications Office. I'd call rather than email them today to order it and they'll get it posted to you by sometime next week.

http://www.opw.ie/en/governmentpublications/

A Concerted Practice is basically a sneaky Agreement. Like Concerted Practice is there to catch Agreements with no paper trail etc. So if an Agreement is possible then so is a concerted practice. So as far as I know a Vertical Concerted Practice is certainly possible.

I don't think you can seperate the concepts of 'agreement' and 'concerted practice'. I think CP is there merely to catch sly 'agreements'.

Now that you mention it they probably do use the word 'agreement' a bit loosely in the manual.

Thank you so much! that really clears it up! :D

Thank you so much! that really clears it up! :D

Are u good so?? I was gonna say more or less the same thing. This whole EU law is way more confusing than any other exam!!!

Are u good so?? I was gonna say more or less the same thing. This whole EU law is way more confusing than any other exam!!!

It's just so long 😩

What are ye studying for it / what ye leaving out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Just in relation to Direct effect. Would I be right in saying that the piece of legislation doesn't have direct effect until the time limit imposed on the MS to implement it has passed? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 19 add727

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Just in relation to Direct effect. Would I be right in saying that the piece of legislation doesn't have direct effect until the time limit imposed on the MS to implement it has passed? Cheers

I think so, according to the Ratti case. However, if it's clear, unconditional and final then it can be invoked. The national courts also have an interpretive obligation to any present laws that do contradict it (Marleasing case) and so the net result could actually be indirect direct effect.

I could stand corrected on that, but that's my understanding of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

Could anyone recommend what combinations of exams to sit. I plan sitting four first time. Which topics have overlap or are there any two topics that are very large that should be split between two sittings?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Could anyone recommend what combinations of exams to sit. I plan sitting four first time. Which topics have overlap or are there any two topics that are very large that should be split between two sittings?

-Property/ Equity/ Contract all have considerable overlap

- Avoid EU and Constitutional together just because of sheer volume more than anything else!

All depends on you though. If there's any particular subjects you feel you're strong in I'd advise doing them first for confidence reasons and getting your 'magic 3' :)

The general advice is to split EU and Constitutional as they're the longest.

I would highly recommend sitting Contract, Property and Equity together for reasons of overlap. It's very much welcome to the stressed FE1 student. :D

• Advertisement

The general advice is to split EU and Constitutional as they're the longest.

I would highly recommend sitting Contract, Property and Equity together for reasons of overlap. It's very much welcome to the stressed FE1 student. :D

Thanks for that guys. I'm so nervous about the whole lot and I haven't even started yet!

Thanks for that guys. I'm so nervous about the whole lot and I haven't even started yet!

I'm doing eight and am still alive for now. You'll be fine. :D

I think so, I am just going to leave it and come back to it after a few days, hopefully it suddenly makes more sense :P

Re art 101 in competition law, is that Block Exemption Regulation in the treaty book?? Can't find it at all!!

Re art 101 in competition law, is that Block Exemption Regulation in the treaty book?? Can't find it at all!!

It is, they didn't update the manual.. it's now Regulation 330/2010.
    Hard to believe they didn't update it after like 4-5 years , it must not come up in the exams :P

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TinkledPink

Anyone know where I can order a copy of the Constitution from?
    I heard they're hard to get and the one I'm using only has 20 amendments :(

Anyone know where I can order a copy of the Constitution from?
    I heard they're hard to get and the one I'm using only has 20 amendments :(

Government Publications Office. You can order through www.opw.ie

They're very readily available to book shops. Easons has them in Dublin. Hodges Figgis have them too. They cost less than €3.

I don't know who told you they're hard to get!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Getting a wee bit panicked now. Am repeating four and havent even looked at Company yet since the last sitting!

Deep breaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

dashdoll wrote: »
    Getting a wee bit panicked now. Am repeating four and havent even looked at Company yet since the last sitting!

Deep breaths.

I'm the same haven't looked at company or criminal yet. 😳😳

I think because I have all my notes from last time

• Advertisement

I'm doing eight and am still alive for now. You'll be fine. :D

Wow! What's you background if you don't mind me asking and are you fitting in study and working full-time?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement