Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

S12b wrote: »
    I did a law undergrad alright, spent four years busting a nut trying to get an A1 in a law exam....never quite managed it!! :(

Ya I guess, 70-75% would be an excellent grade.....65% is the best I managed so far and in typical FE-1 fashion, it was in an exam I wasn't particularly happy with....nice to know I'm not a million miles away.

65 is impressive!! Most people I know only get around the 50 marks for most subjects..the best I have managed is 60,

Is it bad all I am worried about is getting 50 lol,
    Anything over 50 is a bonus to me ..

I know one person that got 70 in EU, don't think it was the highest that year though, heard people getting over 80s in EU but i only heard it from a friend, it's a friend's friend, not sure it is actually true though, probably is true, I would say it's very very rare!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

LawCQ91 wrote: »

Is it bad all I am worried about is getting 50 lol,
    Anything over 50 is a bonus to me ..

Anything over 50 is a waste of time, tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭jenspondolik

Is anyone else having a freakout about constitutional? I don't even know where to start with the learning and I have to tackle company and tort also. I wish I hadn't written notes its like the first time I'm seeing them cases jumbled no principles nothing and outdated on top of it all. I know a bad workman blames his tools but my manual is atrocious. Stupid colloaqualisms and comments thrown in everywhere I feel like I'm in being John malkovich reading someone's internal ramblings

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭southcounty

Re EU...wats the best way to answer competition questions? Do u always define the relevant product market and geographic market and then move onto whether it's 101 or 102...seems to take an awful long time to go that route?? Any suggestions appreciated 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Arcturus2112

Is anyone else having a freakout about constitutional? I don't even know where to start with the learning and I have to tackle company and tort also. I wish I hadn't written notes its like the first time I'm seeing them cases jumbled no principles nothing and outdated on top of it all. I know a bad workman blames his tools but my manual is atrocious. Stupid colloaqualisms and comments thrown in everywhere I feel like I'm in being John malkovich reading someone's internal ramblings

Worst part of constitutional for me is the fear of some of the minor topics coming up, e.g. right to silence, right to jury trial, right of association, right of assembly, all the topics within Nation/People/Sovereignty, and Courts etc. There is a lot of stuff in there that is, I think, highly unlikely to come up, but still it is very uncomfortable to exclude them.

• Advertisement

Worst part of constitutional for me is the fear of some of the minor topics coming up, e.g. right to silence, right to jury trial, right of association, right of assembly, all the topics within Nation/People/Sovereignty, and Courts etc. There is a lot of stuff in there that is, I think, highly unlikely to come up, but still it is very uncomfortable to exclude them.

Yea like last year when AG president came up in two separate questions. I'm at the point now that I'll do what I can for today and tomorrow for constututional and then leave it til after tort exam on Thursday. Study wise Tort on Saturday Company Sunday Tort on Monday again and then up to Dublin Tuesday.

I'm going to stop panicking cos you could have everything done in manual and get thrown. I have nothing on journalistic sources and that seems to be a new area he's asking mahon v keena and cornec only for I got some exam papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Can anyone help me out with constitutional cases of Laurentiu v Minister for justice and the contrasting case of leontjava. I just am not getting it this evening. Laurentiu I understand primary legislation unconstitutional as had no principles or policies but what in the name of God went on in Leontjava. I must be sitting here 2 hours trying to understand it 😭😭😭

Laurentiu v Minister for Justice
    * Aliens Act 1935 allowed Minister make orders deporting aliens if common good required
    * Complete lack of principles + policies
    * Therefore, section was unconstitutional as an excessive delegation of power

Leontjava & Chang v DPP
    * 2 separate parts to this
    * firstly, relevant section of Aliens Act 1935 empowered Minister to impose restrictions on entering Ireland including limiting the place of entry
    * "including" suggested there was some flexibility given to Minister
    * he went too far by limiting length of stay
    * therefore, the Ministerial order was UV the primary legislation, rather than the primary legislation being unconstitutional as an excessive delegation

* secondly, relevant section of Aliens Act 1935 empowered Minister to require aliens to comply with provisions re employment, change of abode and "other like matters"
    * "other like matters" meant the same as "including" above
    * Ministerial order required aliens to produce passports
    * court felt, unlike above, Minister had not gone too far and this was intra vires

* finally, the court considered the section delegating power to the Minister
    * felt it passed the principles + policies test
    * ok to leave finer details to Minister

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Daryl Strawberry

Quick question about EU - when writing an answer that deals with an article in TFEU for example, do people actually write out the article in part, or in full during the answer or will this be interpreted as filling space by the examiner?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FEar1

Quick question about EU - when writing an answer that deals with an article in TFEU for example, do people actually write out the article in part, or in full during the answer or will this be interpreted as filling space by the examiner?

I would imagine that it looks better if you can explain it in your own words as best you can. Makes us look like we understand it rather than just rhyming it off out of the book I suppose! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

So confused! Seriously considering scrapping Company and just studying 3 as I need to pass my first 3 this time as I only passsed two in October!

Thought I would be better prepared but just getting worried as the days close in!

Roll on 2 weeks time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

urgent : probably ridiculous question but anyone know if property is doable in three and half days if you already read the book only?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Mileyt wrote: »
    urgent : probably ridiculous question but anyone know if property is doable in three and half days if you already read the book only?

Yes, if you're strategic.

Mileyt wrote: »

I will be doing EU in 5/6 having read it once months ago so yep I would say give it a shot and as was said above be strategic re picking sections that are likely and wont take ages to get the head around.

Does anyone have any input on Q8 April 2014 constitutional as regards which right the Irish courts find superior which is out of step with ECHR Jurisprudence? Would it be enough to talk about directions on damages De Rossa Tolsoy and the different proportionality tests coupled with the fact that Art 10 much stronger that 40.6? coupled with one or two lines on Herrity which states in few cases privacy will be take precedence over FOE but that was one?

What am asking in a very inarticulate way is do the Irish courts prefer definitively one above the other in a manner at odds with ECHR jurisprudence? I dont trust the sample answers I have even in my extremely limited knowledge i can tell they are lacking.

For example for a case note re Demanche they have put two sentences and a disclaimer that it is just a sample of whats required to pass and they wont be liable. lol two lines, why bother doing sample answers at all if you cant be bothered!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FEar1

Anyone have any suggestions to throw in with these for Contract or am I fairly set? Any opinion welcome! :)

Offer/Acceptance
    Consideration
    Promissory Estoppel
    Express Terms/Parol Evidence Rule
    Misrepresentation
    Mistake
    Exclusion Clauses
    Damages

• Registered Users Posts: 19 genuinely55

FEar1 wrote: »
    Anyone have any suggestions to throw in with these for Contract or am I fairly set? Any opinion welcome! :)

Offer/Acceptance
    Consideration
    Promissory Estoppel
    Express Terms/Parol Evidence Rule
    Misrepresentation
    Mistake
    Exclusion Clauses
    Damages

Toss in Discharge there too and you're flyin'.

Also I find the link with Property and Equity can be handy so, for example, if you're doing Equity learn Undue Influence and have it covered for both.

Property topic list, any comments?

Treasure Trove
    Promissory Estoppel
    Succession
    Licences and Rights of Residence
    Mortgages
    Adverse Possession
    Easements
    Family Property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

Property topic list, any comments?

Treasure Trove
    Promissory Estoppel
    Succession
    Licences and Rights of Residence
    Mortgages
    Adverse Possession
    Easements
    Family Property

That's my list with coownership thrown in too

Bayley1 wrote: »
    That's my list with coownership thrown in too

Cool. Yes, I have co-ownership also but forgot to include it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭laurenburne

Hi I would be so grateful if anyone could give me any pointers on EU. What topics are ye covering? I have 4 exams that I have studied for…I have paid for the EU exam, Its my last exam and I want to be able to have a shot at it. It's a complete long shot but I'm gonna go hell for leather cramming to be in with a chance. If anyone can give me any suggestions as to what topics may come up I would be forever grateful. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 genuinely55

Hi I would be so grateful if anyone could give me any pointers on EU. What topics are ye covering? I have 4 exams that I have studied for…I have paid for the EU exam, Its my last exam and I want to be able to have a shot at it. It's a complete long shot but I'm gonna go hell for leather cramming to be in with a chance. If anyone can give me any suggestions as to what topics may come up I would be forever grateful. :)

I'm kinda looking at Institutions, Four Freedoms, State Aid, Competition, Direct Effect, MS Liability, Preliminery References, Supremacy.

Feel free to add to that...

Putting on bets for Cheltenham. Might break up the monotony of the Ibis on Tuesday. Spending so much time on constitutional to detriment of everything else :(

I'm going with:

Free Movement of Goods, Services and Establishment (excluding Capital)
    Citizenship
    Direct Effect, Supremacy, MS Liability
    Equality
    Judicial Review
    Infringement Proceedings
    Preliminary Reference
    Fundamental Rights
    Competition Law

There's a lot in there..

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭vickyplumx

Would anyone mind listing what are the main things they're focusing on for criminal. I'm trying to cover as much as possible but would I be right with:
    Homicide
    NFOAP
    Sexual offences
    Property offences
    Actus and mens rea
    complicity
    inchoate
    defences
    arrest
    detention
    Offences against justice

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dav_duh

I'm aiming for:
    Actus reus + Mens rea
    Complicity
    Homicide (with provocation)
    NFOAP
    Sexual offences (especially consent)
    Property offences
    Inchoate
    Defences (Lawful use of force, duress, insanity + automatism + intoxication)
    Arrest, detention, presumtion of innocence + right to silence
    Contempt or characteristics of a crime (in the hope one comes up as an easy question)

There's a lot there though, I'm hoping that if I cover enough some of it might actually stick.

So I left the house for the first time in three days .. ... to buy three yellow highlighters, and was so delighted to get out... !! Can't wait for those exams to be finished already!! :')

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

LawCQ91 wrote: »
    So I left the house for the first time in three days .. ... to buy three yellow highlighters, and was so delighted to get out... !! Can't wait for those exams to be finished already!! :')

I wish I'd only been out of the house once in the last three days, I'm finding any excuse to leave my desk

Bayley1 wrote: »
    I wish I'd only been out of the house once in the last three days, I'm finding any excuse to leave my desk

I find excuses to leave my desk within the house.. Like ohh I am hungry again! Not sure am I actually always hungry or I just keep on telling myself I am or ohh I need tea again :'D I also gotten rid of all my social media and stuff so I won't be checking Facebook /snapchat every two minutes(but now just go on i boards instead) this need to be over soon.. I think I am slowly but surely going insane

• Registered Users Posts: 46 May92

Only have time to cover 1 more topic for Tort, which one out of the following would be my best bet?:

Liability for Defective Products
    Occupiers Liability
    Vicarious Liability

• Advertisement

May92 wrote: »
    Only have time to cover 1 more topic for Tort, which one out of the following would be my best bet?:

Liability for Defective Products
    Occupiers Liability
    Vicarious Liability

I would probably go for VL.. That's just my personal choice, the examiner seem to like it.
    Although it came up in the last paper and I don't think the other two came up.. ( just double check ) Sorry I am probably not helping :/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement