Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Are people who are staying up in Dublin for the exams staying up for the full two weeks or heading home in between? My aunt has given me her place to stay in (she never uses it!) and originally I was going to head home during the breaks that I have but I wonder if it'd be smarter to just stay up there.

May92 wrote: »
    Only have time to cover 1 more topic for Tort, which one out of the following would be my best bet?:

Liability for Defective Products
    Occupiers Liability
    Vicarious Liability

City have tipped VL and defective products as being likely. VL is higher up that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Daryl Strawberry

Are the Night Before Notes up yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 COH1234

Constitutional
    I'm trying to figure out what might come up but think I've covered enough - any comments or suggestions welcome!
    Here's what I have covered:
    Constitutional interpretation
    The President and the AG
    The Courts
    Obstacles to a constitutional challenge
    SOP
    Article 38 and all that comes with it
    Property rights and right to livelihood
    Right to good name and fair procedures
    referendum law in conjunction with the Family (given the bill and the marriage referendum)
    Equality

Thanks

I checked and night before notes aren't up yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Oh jesus, I feel like I have nothing done. I cannot believe they are so soon! Where did the last two weeks go?! On the one hand I wish I could claw back some time, but on the other I need these to be over so badly!

Hoping I'll be ok for everything, but definitely worried about Tort and EU. Possibly Criminal too - what's the examiner like as a marker? Constitutional I can only give a good go. His reports are so horrific that I cannot discern what he wants to read in an answer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Oh jesus, I feel like I have nothing done. I cannot believe they are so soon! Where did the last two weeks go?! On the one hand I wish I could claw back some time, but on the other I need these to be over so badly!

Hoping I'll be ok for everything, but definitely worried about Tort and EU. Possibly Criminal too - what's the examiner like as a marker? Constitutional I can only give a good go. His reports are so horrific that I cannot discern what he wants to read in an answer!

Criminal examiner is very fair imo. Know a little about alot!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭jenspondolik

I feel the same it's like time disappeared. I know nothing dispite having lots of time. Dunno what I did with it! We can only do our best constitutional is a joke...he says in reports candidates were confused regarding question 2 and 3. Full stop end of. How many you doing? I haven't touched on Eu yet and starting company on Sunday from notes from last time I sat it. Conned myself that I passed the questions I did do last go so I wasn't so worried until I pulled out the notes this week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

I feel the same it's like time disappeared. I know nothing dispite having lots of time. Dunno what I did with it! We can only do our best constitutional is a joke...he says in reports candidates were confused regarding question 2 and 3. Full stop end of. How many you doing? I haven't touched on Eu yet and starting company on Sunday from notes from last time I sat it. Conned myself that I passed the questions I did do last go so I wasn't so worried until I pulled out the notes this week

All eight. The next two weeks might kill me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

Any good methods for learning case names off by heart (: ?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Arcturus2112

COH1234 wrote: »
    Constitutional
    I'm trying to figure out what might come up but think I've covered enough - any comments or suggestions welcome!
    Here's what I have covered:
    Constitutional interpretation
    The President and the AG
    The Courts
    Obstacles to a constitutional challenge
    SOP
    Article 38 and all that comes with it
    Property rights and right to livelihood
    Right to good name and fair procedures
    referendum law in conjunction with the Family (given the bill and the marriage referendum)
    Equality

Thanks

I checked and night before notes aren't up yet

What chapter does 'Obstacles to a constitutional challenge' fall under? I haven't prepared anything on referendum law. That might be worth a look.

I see you don't have freedom of expression in there. I thought that dovetails quite a bit with right to a good name and privacy. It might be worth throwing something together on that, maybe with a lean towards journalistic sources.

Also I'd suggest trying to fit religious freedom in there also. It's not bad. I have it condensed down to one A4 page, which should be plenty for an answer. I haven't covered Courts or Pres&AG but I have the rest of your list.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I say this at practically every sitting of these exams. Don't bother. It's a complete waste of time.

The most important part of any case is the law that it establishes. The facts are only just about relevant, so a précis of the facts is plenty if you don't instantly remember the name of the case.

Learning by rote will lead to confusion during the exam and you might give the wrong case name for the right law.

All eight. The next two weeks might kill me.

Tough but this time two weeks it'll all be over. :(:)

When I've time I try word fact association which I don't really have time for now. So let's say O'Neill v Dunne's stores I think of my neighbour John o'Neill who used to work in Dunne's (fact) calling for help from youths causing trouble. That reminds me then of duty of care in tort foreseeability/proximity etc once u know the principle of the case you can associate in some way the names to the facts. Another crude example which I've never forgotten is r v flattery ie lying flat on her back in docs surgery consent vitiated. Or R v Williams singer Michelle Williams being conned that sex with Doc would make her better singer. Crude but works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

My personal experience help it helps :

The criminal examiner is a lovely marker. It's the subject I did the least amount of work for and my head just don't get criminal law. I had five ok quesitons, ok is bit of a stretch even and I passed it.

Make sure you know alittle about everything.know the concept well, I think it's prob one of the few subjects you can get away with not knowing case names well or know what many cases (in comparison the other subjects) When I sat the exam I was told by the revision course that the examiner always put on criminal procedure questions because students don't like and don't cover it not sure of thing has changed since then, I did them in April last year. So if you have time maybe cover some.

For Tort ,
    I had two good Qs, two ok questions and read the last question wrong, answered it on the wrong topic altogether and passed it at 50%, I honestly don't think I would have gotten more than 2-3% in the question I did wrong. So I guess he is a fair maker in that sense.

Best of luck with all 8 ! It will soon be all over

I just write a list in the order of appearance and read and hope for the best, I often just remember one party if I can, one party is better than nothing

Being foreign doesn't help with all the Irish spellings in cases, so I just tend to skip them if I can ha, if not just try to remember the first few letters and make them up the rest :,/

If you remember facts of a case and can't remmeber the name and you need to use it
    just write ' in an decided case'.

Are people who are staying up in Dublin for the exams staying up for the full two weeks or heading home in between? My aunt has given me her place to stay in (she never uses it!) and originally I was going to head home during the breaks that I have but I wonder if it'd be smarter to just stay up there.

Can you study on public transport ? If you can you might as well, food be made for you at all and all then you don't have to worry about waste time cooking lol! ( why is this my primary concern haha)

If you can't study on the bus maybe not, time is wasted on commuting when you could be studying.

Your gaps aren't that big though? No harm to stay? :)

LawCQ91 wrote: »
    Can you study on public transport ? If you can you might as well, food be made for you at all and all then you don't have to worry about waste time cooking lol! ( why is this my primary concern haha)

If you can't study on the bus maybe not, time is wasted on commuting when you could be studying.

Your gaps aren't that big though? No harm to stay? :)

You know, I didn't even think about food! I can't do public transport at all. Even reading my phone makes me feel awful. I think I might just stick with staying up and hope that it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 COH1234

What chapter does 'Obstacles to a constitutional challenge' fall under? I haven't prepared anything on referendum law. That might be worth a look.

I see you don't have freedom of expression in there. I thought that dovetails quite a bit with right to a good name and privacy. It might be worth throwing something together on that, maybe with a lean towards journalistic sources.

Also I'd suggest trying to fit religious freedom in there also. It's not bad. I have it condensed down to one A4 page, which should be plenty for an answer. I haven't covered Courts or Pres&AG but I have the rest of your list.

Hi sorry it covers locus standi, mootness, presumption of constitutionality and deference etc I just thought it was handy to group them all together. Thanks I was debating whether or not to cover freedom of expression and think I will now. Journalistic sources was up in April or March last year I recall. It so hard to know what to cover without getting bogged down in it all and then for massive topics like article 38 not to come up as well!

You know, I didn't even think about food! I can't do public transport at all. Even reading my phone makes me feel awful. I think I might just stick with staying up and hope that it helps.

Ha that's all I ever think about.. Everyone I know in real life prob would have figured out who I am now..you know for my love of food lol

:) sure do, it's only for a few days! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭FE1 student

I have just a general query. Anyone that done a prep course for these sittings - how are ye finding your manuals. Mine is 2014-2015 yet they have very limited recent case law. It seems nothing past 2011-2012. Is this common among all the manuals. Seems a bit odd considering the fees charged for course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭missindigo123

Can anyone clarify Private Nuisance in Tort for me?
    My manual says that you show 1. material damage, 2. interference with use and enjoyment and 3. interference with servitude's...
    My friend is studying GC notes and her slides say have to show 1. locus standi, 2. conduct for which the def is responsible, 3. damage / interference with rights , 4. unreasonableness, 5. causation

Confused which is more accurate!

Thanks

My manual says that you show 1. material damage, 2. interference with use and enjoyment and 3. interference with servitude's...
    My friend is studying GC notes and her slides say have to show 1. locus standi, 2. conduct for which the def is responsible, 3. damage / interference with rights , 4. unreasonableness, 5. causation

Thanks

Hey it sounds like u have independent and she has city? Its just they way its grouped and they are each elements in the tort. Locus standing is who can sue and prob after interference with use in your manual. Conduct which def is responsible I presume is the act or omission. Damage is basically the material damage you have in your manual and or the interference with use and enjoyment. For the use and enjoyment to be interefered with its a question of if a reasonable person would tolerate it and hence they have unreasonableness as a head in ie locality duration etc which on your manual will all be under use and enjoyment. Causation then is just hanarahan ie plaintiff must prove causation in the normal way.

Then you have defences and remedies. The servitudes bit is not too nb I don't think more for property law.. Its so easy for the way the manuals are laid out to get caught up in headings but if your grasp the main principles and identify the issues you'll fly it

Thanks

Sorry just saw you said GC but its same layout as city nbns

I have just a general query. Anyone that done a prep course for these sittings - how are ye finding your manuals. Mine is 2014-2015 yet they have very limited recent case law. It seems nothing past 2011-2012. Is this common among all the manuals. Seems a bit odd considering the fees charged for course.

I'm finding my tort manual horrifically bad, my constitutional was is ok but doesn't even have the Pringle Decision in it despite it being asked frequently in the papers! Both of mine are independent colleges, I used them ones for my last sitting and passed them subjects. I bought the most up-to-date nutshells to read with them and use the syllabus from Kings Inn because they have a list of cases underneath it!

I'm finding my tort manual horrifically bad, my constitutional was is ok but doesn't even have the Pringle Decision in it despite it being asked frequently in the papers! Both of mine are independent colleges, I used them ones for my last sitting and passed them subjects. I bought the most up-to-date nutshells to read with them and use the syllabus from Kings Inn because they have a list of cases underneath it!

Lol u are exact same as me but I think the independent tort is written by same person who did nutshell. I don't find the tort bad but I am appalled by constitutional I think they update them in the course by slides but the manual still refers to mahon v Kennedy and doesn't even refer to mahon v keena and Kennedy nor does it mention zappone or Pringle even though they are as you say regulars. Then coupled with that it will state the dissenting judges opinion without saying is minority :( I posted about kings inns syllabus a couple of days ago also.

Hey it sounds like u have independent and she has city? Its just they way its grouped and they are each elements in the tort. Locus standing is who can sue and prob after interference with use in your manual. Conduct which def is responsible I presume is the act or omission. Damage is basically the material damage you have in your manual and or the interference with use and enjoyment. For the use and enjoyment to be interefered with its a question of if a reasonable person would tolerate it and hence they have unreasonableness as a head in ie locality duration etc which on your manual will all be under use and enjoyment. Causation then is just hanarahan ie plaintiff must prove causation in the normal way.

Then you have defences and remedies. The servitudes bit is not too nb I don't think more for property law.. Its so easy for the way the manuals are laid out to get caught up in headings but if your grasp the main principles and identify the issues you'll fly it

Thanks so much. I do indeed have independent colleges manual. Used them before and really liked them but find the Tort one a bit weak. I'm pretty horrific at tort full stop actually so may be more me than the manual ha!

Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭southcounty

Can anyone tell me what came up in last Octobers EU exam please?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭FE1 student

I am using Kings Inn syllabus also but it's so time consuming trying to look up the more recent cases to supplement the lack of recent cases in the manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KMPT

Can anyone tell me the two topics that came up as essay questions for Criminal in the last sitting, please? Thanks:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 maya_bb

Does anyone have any idea when the city colleges NBN will be up?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement