Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KMPT

Good luck everyone! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭jenspondolik

Good luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4 FE1Qatar

Best of luck everyone!

Does anyone have any hints from the constitutional course with Brendan foley? I'm living in qatar at the mo so was unable to stream the course, but he usually gives out some helpful tips? To be honest I'm praying for a miracle! Flying in for 40hours to sit this exam! Last one lets hope it's a gud'un!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

It took me 4 sittings and nearly 2 years of study to pass all 8. They are a marathon, not a sprint.

Sure some fly through them in 2 sittings but most it takes 3-5 sittings so just relax and do the best you can do.

Breathe, read the question and it will start coming back to you. Try to actually answer the question rather than splurging loads of info relating to the topic on the page.

Make sure you try to attempt 5 questions, as even if you do a 5th you have no clue about you still might scrape 3 or 4 marks, and this could be the difference.

They are horrible exams and the amount of study involved and the amount you have to know is ridiculous, but they are passable, and if you've done your study you'll be amazed what comes back to you in the exam.

Have plenty of water and don't be afraid to take a toilet break - even if it's just to wet the face and have a 2 min breather to collect your thoughts.

Good luck again.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭FE1 student

I have done Brendan's constitutional course. He has not given specific tips but said unenumerated rights are due a run. Really his advice was know a little about everything. In 7-10 minute chunks and 15-20 minutes. Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 maya_bb

I have done Brendan's constitutional course. He has not given specific tips but said unenumerated rights are due a run. Really his advice was know a little about everything. In 7-10 minute chunks and 15-20 minutes. Best of luck

What do you mean by 7-10 and 15-20 minute chunks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭missindigo123

Can any help me with Judicial Review in Constitutional?

Am I right in saying that you can look for a JR where where a minister or an admin body (planning permission, deportation, social welfare, legal aid etc) has failed to give sufficient reasons to justify the decision? So, you can then seek to have them expand on the reasons for their decision and you can challenge their decision, eg. told going to be deported - no reasons given - can apply to have that decision JR'd to be sure that the minister is making the decision in line with established legislation.

I feel like I am missing out loads on this topic, its not dealt with at all in my manual except here and there.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭FE1 student

maya_bb wrote: »
    What do you mean by 7-10 and 15-20 minute chunks?

Say for example a problem question on non delegation doctrine. That's is 20 mins . Second part takes away property or livelihood. That's 10 minutes for each one of them topics. A little about a lot!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭lawgirl23

How did everybody find criminal today? Was it just me or did NFOAP come up a lot???

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

lawgirl23 wrote: »
    How did everybody find criminal today? Was it just me or did NFOAP come up a lot???

NFOAP, procedure and practice, sexual assualt and consent came up a lot!! Can't believe he threw a theft element into the sexual consent case! Just goes to show how much of a mix the paper is! Wish I had have studied right to silence then i could have said that I attempted 5 qs well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TinkledPink

smeal wrote: »
    NFOAP, procedure and practice, sexual assualt and consent came up a lot!! Can't believe he threw a theft element into the sexual consent case! Just goes to show how much of a mix the paper is! Wish I had have studied right to silence then i could have said that I attempted 5 qs well!

Felt like everyone got assaulted in one way or another on that paper.

smeal wrote: »

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that! I got 5 questions out of the paper anyway! Happy enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

Can any help me with Judicial Review in Constitutional?

Am I right in saying that you can look for a JR where where a minister or an admin body (planning permission, deportation, social welfare, legal aid etc) has failed to give sufficient reasons to justify the decision? So, you can then seek to have them expand on the reasons for their decision and you can challenge their decision, eg. told going to be deported - no reasons given - can apply to have that decision JR'd to be sure that the minister is making the decision in line with established legislation.

I feel like I am missing out loads on this topic, its not dealt with at all in my manual except here and there.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, for the most part yes, whoever the decision maker is have to respect the right of fair procedure ( which is constitutionally protected - Right to be given reason being one of it). So if they had reached a decision without giving you reasons then you can JR that.

Not really sure if that answered your question? I think that part of the course is more admin JR as on the 'process/procedure' is wrong not necessiarly the outcome.

If that makes any sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭missindigo123

LawCQ91 wrote: »
    Hi, for the most part yes, whoever the decision maker is have to respect the right of fair procedure ( which is constitutionally protected - Right to be given reason being one of it). So if they had reached a decision without giving you reasons then you can JR that.

Not really sure if that answered your question? I think that part of the course is more admin JR as on the 'process/procedure' is wrong not necessiarly the outcome.

If that makes any sense.

Thanks a mill, that helped loads. I wasnt connecting it to fair procedures so couldnt quite grasp it in my mind! Constitutional just makes me want to cry!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

Thanks a mill, that helped loads. I wasnt connecting it to fair procedures so couldnt quite grasp it in my mind! Constitutional just makes me want to cry!

I totally agree.. I now see why people say it's the worst subject.. Just so much to do to! still have so much more to cover urgh.. So mentally draining

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Arcturus2112

Any views on which topics one could reasonably exclude from Constitutional?

For example, I'm not feeling inclined to cover the 'Courts' topic - it's pretty dull and I don't know if it really lends itself to a question. I'm also intending to exclude Right to Jury Trial (I think it came up pretty recently), Emergence and War and International Law.

I'm thinking it might be worth preparing a short piece on Right to Silence - last time that came up was Oct 2012.

Any comments welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LawTalkingGuy

Courts have come up every second sitting it looks like - I don't know if it came up in Oct. '14 but it came up Oct '09 / Oct 10 / April 11 / Oct 11 / Oct 12 / Oct 13 / April 14 / based on this pattern it would be due an appearance.

International Law came up once since 2008 in Oct '11 and Emergency and War not since 2008 - so I am not going to bother with these at all.

How I look at it is there are only so many rights so learn them - not all of them too deeply but just enough.
    Then if you also learn the basic principles - proportionality , locus standi, unconstitutionality, sep powers, mootness then you should be fine as these will be mixed into the questions on rights.

Then one bonus like courts or constitutional interpretation if you haven't fallen down with exhaustion!

The way I look at it is you can't set a criminal law paper without Rape, Murder, Non- Fatal and Theft Offences and defenses so learn them and you will be fine.

Same with constitutional - you can't set a constitutional paper without the rights and the basic principles. Better to have a broad understanding of these but I don't think it needs to be v deep.

What are you guys covering for Equity?
    I am doing:
    1. Complete constitution and Strong v Bird
    2. Resulting trusts
    3. Constructive trusts-strangers
    4. Trusteeship- investments
    5.Injunctions
    6. Specific performance
    7. Rectification
    8. Undue influence
    9. Satisfaction

So I am leaving out the rest of express trusts, tracing, the rest of trusteeship, charitable and non charitable purpose trust and estoppel.

I have a feeling I am leaving out the important ones but the brain is under pressure :-D What do you think?

KMPT wrote: »
    I am doing:
    2. Resulting trusts
    5.Injunctions
    6. Specific performance
    7. Rectification
    8. Undue influence
    9. Satisfaction

So I am leaving out the rest of express trusts, tracing, the rest of trusteeship, charitable and non charitable purpose trust and estoppel.

I have a feeling I am leaving out the important ones but the brain is under pressure :-D What do you think?

Also doing Secret trusts. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dandadub

What is everyone leaving out of Company tomorrow?

• Advertisement

Courts have come up every second sitting it looks like - I don't know if it came up in Oct. '14 but it came up Oct '09 / Oct 10 / April 11 / Oct 11 / Oct 12 / Oct 13 / April 14 / based on this pattern it would be due an appearance.

International Law came up once since 2008 in Oct '11 and Emergency and War not since 2008 - so I am not going to bother with these at all.

How I look at it is there are only so many rights so learn them - not all of them too deeply but just enough.
    Then if you also learn the basic principles - proportionality , locus standi, unconstitutionality, sep powers, mootness then you should be fine as these will be mixed into the questions on rights.

Then one bonus like courts or constitutional interpretation if you haven't fallen down with exhaustion!

The way I look at it is you can't set a criminal law paper without Rape, Murder, Non- Fatal and Theft Offences and defenses so learn them and you will be fine.

Same with constitutional - you can't set a constitutional paper without the rights and the basic principles. Better to have a broad understanding of these but I don't think it needs to be v deep.

Good reply, thanks for that. I didn't realise Courts came up that often. I'm gonna look at the past papers and see if it takes a regular aspect of it. For example, it might be a focus on administration of justice "in public" - that would be easy enough to put something together on.

KMPT wrote: »
    I am doing:
    2. Resulting trusts
    5.Injunctions
    6. Specific performance
    7. Rectification
    8. Undue influence
    9. Satisfaction

I am doing:

1. Interlocutory and Mareva (because quia timet came up last time)
    2. Specific Performance and Rectification
    3. Undue Influence
    4. Proprietary Estoppel (quite a short amount prepared for that)
    5. Secret Trusts
    6. Express Trusts
    7. Resulting Trusts
    8. Constructive Trusts

While Purpose Trusts is probably guaranteed, the content is vast so I'm happy to write that one off. I have a short note prepared for Trusteeship and also for Tracing which I will try to learn if I have time.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Does anyone know with the new rules if it ia definitely ok to sit just 3 exams the first sitting? Signed up for Company tomorrow but there is no way I will pass it as this stage but not sure if I still need to go sign in?

I read the rules and seems like I dont need to but want to be 100% sure.

dashdoll wrote: »
    Does anyone know with the new rules if it ia definitely ok to sit just 3 exams the first sitting? Signed up for Company tomorrow but there is no way I will pass it as this stage but not sure if I still need to go sign in?

What else do you have to come, other than Company? Because it might be worth picking the core topics and going hardcore at it tonight. Depends on your schedule though.

I only paid for three. So if you paid for four and still waiting to pass your first three I think you can be absent for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 May92

Don't know if they changed it, but I thought you had to sit 4 and pass 3. As in, you would need to sign in for it but can leave after the 45 mins. That could be wrong.

May92 wrote: »
    Don't know if they changed it, but I thought you had to sit 4 and pass 3. As in, you would need to sign in for it but can leave after the 45 mins. That could be wrong.

No its changed now. You can take a minimum of 3 exams, but you still have to pass 3 the first time around...

I think in new rules its just three. Can u pull an alnighter and cover ones that used to come up regularly though not sure if this sitting will be the usual. Did you sit it before? Ive tort and constitutional after company and I'll prob get 6 hrs sleep in three days as nothing done but its worth a shot?. You could cover
    directors
    restriction
    Borrowings
    SLP;
    minority
    borrowings
    six topics and you could get dog lucky. If you gave an hour each you'd be up til 12 and get up at six then for three more hrs revision and you won't have lost much. Last sitting I passed contract with 3 qs and half a day study in sept (had read it last march and like u focused on three and didnt do it just signed in) and failed company with 3 Q's in sept so these exams are strange you don't know what you'll pass til you get results letter. If you've any bit done at all or even did company at all go in and write like the clappers. I've learned my lesson from abstaining from exams and wishing I'd done them after

I think in new rules its just three. Can u pull an alnighter and cover ones that used to come up regularly though not sure if this sitting will be the usual. Did you sit it before? Ive tort and constitutional after company and I'll prob get 6 hrs sleep in three days as nothing done but its worth a shot?. You could cover
    directors
    restriction
    Borrowings
    SLP;
    minority
    borrowings
    six topics and you could get dog lucky. If you gave an hour each you'd be up til 12 and get up at six then for three more hrs revision and you won't have lost much. Last sitting I passed contract with 3 qs and half a day study in sept (had read it last march and like u focused on three and didnt do it just signed in) and failed company with 3 Q's in sept so these exams are strange you don't know what you'll pass til you get results letter. If you've any bit done at all or even did company at all go in and write like the clappers. I've learned my lesson from abstaining from exams and wishing I'd done them after

Should say share transfer not borrowings twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 BatPateman

Whats the story with the General negligence Question in tort? the examiner reports arent illuminating. I.e. the Ocotber 2014 Q.6 about the stove ? and the April 14 Question about the dolphin. The March 14 Question about the brick wall... etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement