Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭jenspondolik

Went in five mins late to cover animal torts. Nearly threw paper in ground when saw fire! I ended up doing rylands and manual doesn't even have accumulation. Managed to do a page on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

I nearly laughed out loud in the exam hall when I coped the couple in the nuisance question were called Christian and Anastasia.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I nearly laughed out loud in the exam hall when I coped the couple in the nuisance question were called Christian and Anastasia.

I am so glad that I'm not the only one who noticed that. And he had Enda and Angela too!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Guys.. Can't deal with Constitutional tomorrow! Information over load. I hope the examiner is looking forward to me making up names of cases across the board because there isn't a hope in hell I'm capable of learning even 50% of this! Wahhhh..

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭FE1 EXAMS 2013

What would be the bare minimum to know for constitutional, I'm at a loss here, can't cope! Can anyone shed some light on the 8 topics that came up!

• Advertisement

Lol so did I. I wrote Ana due to time constraints ha ha. Im surprised the wasn't and s & m trespass question with consent. I can't even look at const taking break till three and will start then I mean if they're going to be putting on fire liability when the courses are massive and accumulation on rylands like one liners.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

What a friggin joke! I've seriously lost heart after that exam! Liability for fire, wtf???? Can something say what the 8 topics were I dunno even know if I answered half of them on the correct topic, seriously considering of just packing it in and forgetting constitutional

1. Fire liability
    2. Defamation (I think?)
    3. Negligent misstatement or professional negligence.
    4. Causation of damages and remoteness (I think again)
    5. Rylands
    6. Nuisance
    7. Defective products and common law negligence
    8. Essay on exemplary, aggravated and nominal damages.

All from my gathering of the paper anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawbear

well no wonder they called him Christian because that paper is after giving me a right Leathering haha….what the hell??? The size of the course and they put on fire?? just checked my griffith exam grid…doesdnt seem to have EVER come up before…then rylands v fletcher…not great is it? DREADING facing constitutional…you know yer bad when you don't even know separation of powers

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭FE1 EXAMS 2013

Ashashi wrote: »
    1. Fire liability
    2. Defamation (I think?)
    3. Negligent misstatement or professional negligence.
    4. Causation of damages and remoteness (I think again)
    5. Rylands
    6. Nuisance
    7. Defective products and common law negligence
    8. Essay on exemplary, aggravated and nominal damages.

All from my gathering of the paper anyway.
    Thanks so much!
    The defective products was a strange question, Questions 3 and 4 were dodge!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

Thanks so much!
    The defective products was a strange question, Questions 3 and 4 were dodge!

Question 3 was okay I thpugh, no need to prove negligence but had to discuss whether his actions contributed to the injury (Barnett, Bonnington, McGee) and then about whether her meltdown and disposal of her life belongings (drama queen or what?) was a novus actus. And then just some discussion in remoteness of damages.

The defective product was odd because it was the importer but the importer can be the producer for the purposes of the legislation is what I said and then talked about common law negligence for good measure. Probably way off but any who!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭missindigo123

What would be the bare minimum to know for constitutional, I'm at a loss here, can't cope! Can anyone shed some light on the 8 topics that came up!

Article 38 - due course of law

Know your seperation of powers - and then the names principles like proportionality and the proportionality test because you can use that it almost any situation which involves a right being infringed

Apparently courts is tipped but not sure and after tort I wouldn't dream of predicting ha!

Maybe abortion given the situation this year

Socio-economic rights - basically don't exists, education only one granted in the constitution - only primary education an not a particular type... For all other socio economic rights u can say courts won't get involved as deference to the legislature

Judicial review (know the locus standi, moot was and justifiability) & principles and policies tests ( read the journal and the ecstacy articles sums up the principles and policies haha)

Constitutional interpretation hasn't been on in a while either have unenumerated rights. Even learn of sample essays for these if stuck!

Maybe family too!

Ha sorry basically said the whole book !

• Registered Users Posts: 4 prior212

Anyone with predictions for Equity? Bankers or tips etc

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭FE1 student

Did City not do night before notes for this sitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissM89

Can anyone give me a brief summary of what happened in TD v Minister for Education in relation to socio-economic rights? I know that they were obviously not given the mandatory relief they were seeking but why? Also, how is this case differentiated from Sinnott? Any help much appreciated, my head is sore from thinking about Constitutional all day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭missindigo123

MissM89 wrote: »
    Can anyone give me a brief summary of what happened in TD v Minister for Education in relation to socio-economic rights? I know that they were obviously not given the mandatory relief they were seeking but why? Also, how is this case differentiated from Sinnott? Any help much appreciated, my head is sore from thinking about Constitutional all day!

So my understanding is that the courts tend not to entertain cases of socio-economic rights (O'reilly v Limerick etc) because of the seperation of powers - they courts leave socio economic rights to the legislature because they have better knowledge about what the country can afford etc.

In relation to education things are a little more difficult because the constitution says that children have a right to education.

Parents then seem to feel that this means that they have a right to the standard of education that they deem for however it's only a reasonable standard of education that needs to be provided by the courts.

In Sinnott the case concerned an adult plaintiff and his family said he should be entitled to primary education as guaranteed by the constitution. Court said no.

In TD it was pretty much the same issue but the courts said that they must refrain from granting a mandatory order compelling the government to do something unless there has been a serious breach of a right because of te SOP Doctrine etc!

What are people covering for constitutional?
    Was thinking

Sop
    Fair procedures reasons etc
    Judicial review
    Findings
    Privacy
    Foe

What else? Itll be a splash and dash job

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Arcturus2112

What are people covering for constitutional?
    Was thinking

Sop
    Fair procedures reasons etc
    Judicial review
    Findings
    Privacy
    Foe

What else? Itll be a splash and dash job

I think you would definitely need Art 38.1 Due Course of Law on there - it didn't come up last time. Also, apparently he quite likes Property Rights and that also didn't come up last time.

I think you would definitely need Art 38.1 Due Course of Law on there - it didn't come up last time. Also, apparently he quite likes Property Rights and that also didn't come up last time.

Cheers thanks. Its so massive I don't know how I'll manage it but I'll throw it on to the list :(

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Arcturus2112

Cheers thanks. Its so massive I don't know how I'll manage it but I'll throw it on to the list :(

Article 38.1 seems huge but just reduce it to a few cases under each of the sub headings, because it will most likely appear as a problem question, so you only need to be able to spot the issue and apply a couple of cases.

Article 38.1 seems huge but just reduce it to a few cases under each of the sub headings, because it will most likely appear as a problem question, so you only need to be able to spot the issue and apply a couple of cases.

Thanks I'm just speed reading manual and hope stuff sticks may as well sit it anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 amyeee

I know most are in constitutional mode but if anyone could tell me what came up on the equity exams in 2012 and 2013 I'd be most grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Troels Hartmann

Looks like City Colleges didn't produce (publicly at least) any night before notes this time? That's annoying because I found the Tort and Equity ones very helpful previously

Also, I hope I'm not the only person who giggles a little bit every time I think of the "John Grace Fried Chicken Ltd" case?! Every time I think of why on earth someone would call a company that, even if it is for a chipper!!

Anyway sorry, irrelevant I know. Perhaps I'm just going Ga-Ga from it all and looking for some amusement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dandadub

Anyone know the difference between Tuohy and Heaney? I can't find it anywhere in the books/manuals

dandadub wrote: »
    Anyone know the difference between Tuohy and Heaney? I can't find it anywhere in the books/manuals

Limitation on ones rights must be proportionate in pursuing legislative objectives.

Heaney -the objective of the impugned provision must be of sufficient importance to warrant overriding a constitutionally protected right. The means chosen to pass a proportionality test must be
    1 rationally connected to the objective and not arbitrary unfair or based on irrational considerations
    2 impairs the right as little as possible
    3 such that their effects are proportional to the objective

Touhy - oireacras engaged in balancing function the role of the courts is not to impose their view of correct balance rather they will determine from an objective stance whether balance contained in the legislation is SO CONTRART TO REASON AND FAIRNESS AS TO BE AN UNJUST ATTACK ON SOMONES CONSTIT. RIGHTS.

heaney is more rigourous but applied inconsistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

dandadub wrote: »

Tuohy - more deferential - "so contrary to reason and fairness as to constitute an unjust attack"

Heaney - more interventionist - limitation must be rationally connected to objective, impair the right as little as possible and the effects on the right must be proportional to the objective. Heaney can also be applied in a more deferential manner robbing it of its interventionist character and rendering it essentially the same as Tuohy.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭southcounty

Looks like City Colleges didn't produce (publicly at least) any night before notes this time? That's annoying because I found the Tort and Equity ones very helpful previously

Also, I hope I'm not the only person who giggles a little bit every time I think of the "John Grace Fried Chicken Ltd" case?! Every time I think of why on earth someone would call a company that, even if it is for a chipper!!

Anyway sorry, irrelevant I know. Perhaps I'm just going Ga-Ga from it all and looking for some amusement :)

There's a fried chicken place called John Graces in Cork lol

If you've heard the fifty shades of grey cork style on YouTube she says at the end that they'll go to John graces for a snack box ha so I can't forget it. Keep thinking putting flesh on the bones and you'll remember its principles and policies

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭FE1 student

If you've heard the fifty shades of grey cork style on YouTube she says at the end that they'll go to John graces for a snack box ha so I can't forget it. Keep thinking putting flesh on the bones and you'll remember its principles and policies

Keep them coming anything to keep it in the head for three hours. I only have constitution and EU and that's me done with this learn it all of and write it like you have not learnt it off rubbish !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dandadub

Thanks a mil jenspondolik and s12b!

Good luck to everyone (constitutional is a nightmare)

• Advertisement

Could someone give me a summary on relevance is zappone if its necessary not in book but on nbns

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement