Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Glinda!

Caoileann wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience with the revision courses run at GCD or independent? Thinking of going with independents course because its two weeks earlier!

I think im going to have to go with GCD purely because they are on 4-10pm as will be a lot easier to finish work early to go to would have to take full day off for 9am-1pm + extra 2 hrs for same money. Would love feedback from any1 who attended 1 whether worthwhile going to

• Registered Users Posts: 27 noseriously

Hey, I'm sitting Company for the first time this Oct, just wondering if there's any point buying the Companies Acts? I've always brought in whatever legislation was allowed for the others but I'm wondering if it's actually worth it, I'm already broke from exam fees!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Hey, I'm sitting Company for the first time this Oct, just wondering if there's any point buying the Companies Acts? I've always brought in whatever legislation was allowed for the others but I'm wondering if it's actually worth it, I'm already broke from exam fees!

Apparently you can answer a question on Liquidation alone using the acts (I will stand corrected if I'm wrong).

I'm sitting it in October too. I haven't bought the acts yet but I definitively will be soon. Even of you only used it for part of a question I reckon it's worth the money.

Why would you want to disadvantage yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 unknown1990

Hey, a bit off topic but I was wondering if anyone is still waiting to hear back from the Law Society? I've been speaking to a few people who have received their letters yet I've heard nothing! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 sally01

I found it useful. In some questions the examiner just makes reference to a particular section which you should answer on and its handy to double check it in the acts. I managed to sell mine second hand aswell so if you do fork out for it you can still get your money back after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 kingcelt21

Has anybody got a grid for Criminal that they could pm me? It would be very much appreciated. Will send on any other grid in return or notes if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kingcelt21

Hey, a bit off topic but I was wondering if anyone is still waiting to hear back from the Law Society? I've been speaking to a few people who have received their letters yet I've heard nothing! Thanks!

Yeah got mine last week and only applied 3 days before the deadline! You might want to contact the law soc just to make sure your application was received.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rocksch2

Haven't heard back either and sent it off the week before the deadline. Sometimes they are slow with things like this. I would wait until Fri and then call but there shouldn't be a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 C2012

Hey, ya i sent mine off the week beforehand and got a letter confirming they received my application and that they'd send out another letter two weeks before exams...If you paid by cheque, it might help to check if it was lodged yet in the bank:)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

Any chance someone could tell me when will a person be charged under the 2006 Sexual Offences Against Children Act instead of under the 1981 Act or 1990 Act. I find it pretty confusing. If the legal age for consent is 17 why not just charge someone with rape under the 1981 or 1990 acts where that person engages in a sexual act with someone under the age of 17?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

C2012 wrote: »
    Hey, ya i sent mine off the week beforehand and got a letter confirming they received my application and that they'd send out another letter two weeks before exams...If you paid by cheque, it might help to check if it was lodged yet in the bank:)

I was the same in that I handed in on the thurs. mayb they're working backwards. That high quality paper is obviously what our application fees are being used for. What a waste of money! An email would be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eggbert0707

Hi all,

I plan on sitting Criminal, Contract, Equity and Constitutional in October. At this point Constitutional is really just a formality so I'm concentrating on the first three. Although I've been making notes from manuals for the past 5 weeks or so I'm still completely at a loss as to how to approach the study.

I would very much appreciate it if someone could send me some sample answers just to get an idea of the kind of detail required for the exams. After spending so much time making notes I've realised that now even my notes are too bulky for any meaningful study. Can't help but think I've been wasting my time.

Thanks.

Hi all,

I plan on sitting Criminal, Contract, Equity and Constitutional in October. At this point Constitutional is really just a formality so I'm concentrating on the first three. Although I've been making notes from manuals for the past 5 weeks or so I'm still completely at a loss as to how to approach the study.

I would very much appreciate it if someone could send me some sample answers just to get an idea of the kind of detail required for the exams. After spending so much time making notes I've realised that now even my notes are too bulky for any meaningful study. Can't help but think I've been wasting my time.

Thanks.

I wrote this a while back on this thread, so I'll put it up again. I never understand why anyone make so much notes of the manuals.

Anyway..

Have a look at the past questions on the topics, you will see there is only so many different types they ask (well, usually anyway).

Personally I wouldn't cut out any topic, or if I did it would be very few and it would only be the ones from the grid which rarely or never come up. Try cut it down by looking at the usual areas they focus on in the different topics by looking at the sample answers or past questions, instead of cutting out whole topics.

Yeah, read over your notes or manual, make quick 5 min summaries at the end - no more than 2 or 3 pages in my opinion, with just the main cases and principals or points of law. Go over a few sample answers or look at past questions if you don't have sample answers, don't sit down and write out 6 pages of an answer by yourself, or pages upon pages of notes which is basically copying the manual or book.... yes, while it is productive, it is very time consuming. Surely 2 hours per topic then move on. You can always go back to a topic, and you will be surprised what you remembered when you go back to it.

Coming up to the exams then try skim through and just remember important things like case names, points of law and legislation. Jot down very short and quick notes, test yourself if you have time - in that see what case names etc you remember from a topic. There is absolutely no need to be going off summing up a chapter in the manual or a set of notes, it is too time consuming basically re-writing topics, or trying to write out your own 5/6 page answer. As I said you will remember the main parts of a topic from 2 or 3 reads or the gist at least , it is just the case names etc that you need to get get drilled into the brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CRM1

Hi eggbert0707. I am in the exact same position as you, in saying that I completely agree with everything that chops018 has said. I think my approach was way too detailed for what is needed and I think I have my masters to blame for that. The answers can't be too theoretical as we just don't have the time. So I'm starting from scratch again with a new approach basically what has been said above. Brief summaries, caselaw and "get it drilled into the brain". I haven't taken a course maybe it would have helped in my approach. But don't think that the previous five weeks have been wasted, view it as putting down a good base. I'm sitting five in Oct, Tort, Constitutional, Property, Equity and Contract. In saying that I have had a complete block the last two days, but new approach today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Milkypops

can anyone what kinda question came up under the topic of directors in the march sitting of company (ie q on types of directors, common law/equitable duties, )

cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 crosshair12

Milkypops wrote: »
    can anyone what kinda question came up under the topic of directors in the march sitting of company (ie q on types of directors, common law/equitable duties, )

cheers :)

It was a problem q. on s. 194/1963 CA, ss. 29 and 31/1990 CA, and common law fiduciary duties...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 butttons2012

Hi was wondering if anyone has sample EU answers and the exam grid, would greatly appreciate any help thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3 butttons2012

Hi if you have an exam grid for EU, I would greatly appreciate as I am pulling hair out at the moment with EU, thank you so much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 filosoraptor

I rang the Law Society yesterday cause I hadn't heard anything either and they said they would be sending confirmation letters out to everyone beginning next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eggbert0707

chops018 wrote: »
    I wrote this a while back on this thread, so I'll put it up again. I never understand why anyone make so much notes of the manuals.

Anyway..

Have a look at the past questions on the topics, you will see there is only so many different types they ask (well, usually anyway).

Personally I wouldn't cut out any topic, or if I did it would be very few and it would only be the ones from the grid which rarely or never come up. Try cut it down by looking at the usual areas they focus on in the different topics by looking at the sample answers or past questions, instead of cutting out whole topics.

Yeah, read over your notes or manual, make quick 5 min summaries at the end - no more than 2 or 3 pages in my opinion, with just the main cases and principals or points of law. Go over a few sample answers or look at past questions if you don't have sample answers, don't sit down and write out 6 pages of an answer by yourself, or pages upon pages of notes which is basically copying the manual or book.... yes, while it is productive, it is very time consuming. Surely 2 hours per topic then move on. You can always go back to a topic, and you will be surprised what you remembered when you go back to it.

Coming up to the exams then try skim through and just remember important things like case names, points of law and legislation. Jot down very short and quick notes, test yourself if you have time - in that see what case names etc you remember from a topic. There is absolutely no need to be going off summing up a chapter in the manual or a set of notes, it is too time consuming basically re-writing topics, or trying to write out your own 5/6 page answer. As I said you will remember the main parts of a topic from 2 or 3 reads or the gist at least , it is just the case names etc that you need to get get drilled into the brain.

Thanks for the quick response Chops018. I'm going to try make some short summaries of just case names and such now. Hopefully that won't take me up to exam time!

As regards the past exam questions, it seems like the manuals very much tailor themselves according to past questions e.g. including semi-obscure cases from which the facts of the exam question are taken. Then, to me, it seems that almost everything in the manuals is very much necessary. I'm just finding it quite difficult to separate the REAL need-to-know stuff from the rest. Is it possible to leave out such cases and still retain a mediocre standard of answer by just outlining general principles and pivotal cases and applying them to the question even if your finished argument is kind of half-baked without the judges reasoning from the 'identical facts case'?

Sorry for going on and bothering you. Thanks again for the help.
    CRM1 wrote: »
    Hi eggbert0707. I am in the exact same position as you, in saying that I completely agree with everything that chops018 has said. I think my approach was way too detailed for what is needed and I think I have my masters to blame for that. The answers can't be too theoretical as we just don't have the time. So I'm starting from scratch again with a new approach basically what has been said above. Brief summaries, caselaw and "get it drilled into the brain". I haven't taken a course maybe it would have helped in my approach. But don't think that the previous five weeks have been wasted, view it as putting down a good base. I'm sitting five in Oct, Tort, Constitutional, Property, Equity and Contract. In saying that I have had a complete block the last two days, but new approach today!!

I agree, at least we can work from our notes now instead of re-reading manuals, although I can still see that happening when looking back at notes from those days I couldn't wait to get out of the library!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the quick response Chops018. I'm going to try make some short summaries of just case names and such now. Hopefully that won't take me up to exam time!

As regards the past exam questions, it seems like the manuals very much tailor themselves according to past questions e.g. including semi-obscure cases from which the facts of the exam question are taken. Then, to me, it seems that almost everything in the manuals is very much necessary. I'm just finding it quite difficult to separate the REAL need-to-know stuff from the rest. Is it possible to leave out such cases and still retain a mediocre standard of answer by just outlining general principles and pivotal cases and applying them to the question even if your finished argument is kind of half-baked without the judges reasoning from the 'identical facts case'?

Sorry for going on and bothering you. Thanks again for the help.

It took me a long time to learn this, but, you shouldn't go rambling on....especially for a problem question....cases only need to be discussed with maybe 2 or 3 lines, it's only really the case name and principal you need, then apply that to the facts at hand. Obviously with an essay there is much more room for discussion, and even a small bit of waffle.

A lot of the questions now just involve a guy with two separate legal problems! The bottoms line is you have 35 mins...no-one expects a dissertation. Indeed, the worst students seem to feel the need to write all they know about each sub issue and THEN at the end offer a conclusion...the best way is raise the issue "the issue here appears to be duress", then I wouldn't deal with the law abstractly, but deal with the pertinent facts and explain how they are legally relevant with reference to the cases.

e.g.

in this question sugary cereals wishes to maintain various contracts are vitiated by duress. It certainly appears that pressure was put on SC such that left them no realistic alternative but to agree. That is similar to (case). However, a key issue here appears to relate to the fact that these contracts were entered into after an industrial relations dispute. In later jurisprudence, it is clear that legitimate pressure will not vitiate a contract (cases). Thus, if a court took the view that the pressure was legitimate then there would be no case. Indeed, in (Montrovia) the House of Lords noted that had the particular threatenend action there (blacking of ships) been done within the relevant industrial relations legislative framework, there would have been no duress. In short, the issue is not pressure, but illegitimate pressure, and there is not enough evidence in the facts presented to know whether the employees were acting within or outside the relevant legislation / rules.

that is very, very rough, but its the integration of the facts and cases you want more than anything nearly in a discursive way - i.e. an answer that cannot be accused of being "all i know" about an area.

As I said, they don't want or need a dissertation. Some people go on about how they have had 6 or 7 pages for an answer, when a 3 page high quality answer with enough relevant case-law, legislation, proper application to the facts and a good, solid conclusion with your own opinion would be more than enough.

How is everyone finding Tort and Constitutional??

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

CRM1 wrote: »
    How is everyone finding Tort and Constitutional??

Constitution is a lot and I don't think I will cover everything in depth. Might only focus on the most important topics and read over the not so relevant stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

Absolutely sh1tting constitutional, doing one of the courses and think I am just freaking myself out over the fear of failing! does anybody have any insight into which college does the best one day revision course for it? Not entirely happy with my work so far and feel like I need a boost!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rocksch2

Does anyone have an up to date Constitutional or EU Grids? I have Grids for all 8 but they only go up to 2010. Also have passed the other 6 so could answer questions/give advice in return?

rocksch2 wrote: »
    Does anyone have an up to date Constitutional or EU Grids? I have Grids for all 8 but they only go up to 2010. Also have passed the other 6 so could answer questions/give advice in return?

I have constitutional grid up to march 12 if that is any good to you?

Constitution is a lot and I don't think I will cover everything in depth. Might only focus on the most important topics and read over the not so relevant stuff!

Yeah im thinking of focusing on 5/6 main topics and an outline of the rest. Hopefully that will do!

I wouldn't leave anything out lads. That can be very dangerous. Well, leave very little out anyway. The topics that rarely come up and maybe one or two that didn't come up last sitting.

Anyway, I found when doing Const that if you have a decent knowledge of all the rights i.e. the enumerated, enumerated, personal rights etc. Then you are in a good position. Along with that be able to see if there is a balance struck with the right being affected and the state's right to limit that person's right. Know proportionality inside out. Also I found separation of powers can be brought into a lot more questions than you think. The other topics you will see how and what way they are asked, from what I remember there is only really 3 or 4 pure types of questions on SOP, and the first few topics are handy enough too.

It's really just having a decent knowledge of all the rights and knowing how to tackle them in a problem question.

Finally don't be afraid to use the actual Constitution and it's sections where needed. It can gain you a few marks here and there, especially if you're stuck.

Edit: EC is a tough, and odd, examiner. His paper last sitting was relatively 'easy' (to me anyway) compared to his other papers. He likes up to date stuff, and generally goes with what is topical. Be wary of that. Have an idea of his top ten cases from this year. They usually feature in some shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Miss_F

Hey

Can anyone tell me what topics came up on the last contract exam dont have an up to date exam grid.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sorchauna

I would recommend getting it. Loads of people do and pass the exam without it. But I sat the oct 2012 paper and used it in three answers so I was really glad to have it. In other papers you may never use it. But I rather pay for it and have it on the day and never use it than not get it and wish in the exam I had it. It is expensive but you will make your money back selling it on and its cheaper than resitting the paper!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement