Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭jenspondolik

No, they just asked me to try for an earlier start. I only graduated in September, so I'm not really any worse off for having tried! Is yours dependent on your results this time?

Never heard of that case, but yeah the diffusion of ownership requirement can be got around by a lease over one property so it was grand!

I don't really know I got a good bit of time off and I'm in a small practice and didn't start as a trainee but they kept me and gave me one. I've been doing exams piecemeal since last march 3 then 1. I don't think I'll be off to BH this September thoughts of facing them on Monday allergic!! Having to explain!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Arcturus2112

Also, I saw you and your many booklets again today Arcturus. Nice beard! ;) #creepin

Ha, thanks! :D Yeah, no writer's block today, thankfully.. If I can pull off something similar tomorrow I'll be a happy chap. Say hello if you see me - it'd be good to put a face to the username!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lily Belle

I don't really know I got a good bit of time off and I'm in a small practice and didn't start as a trainee but they kept me and gave me one. I've been doing exams piecemeal since last march 3 then 1. I don't think I'll be off to BH this September thoughts of facing them on Monday allergic!! Having to explain!

I did mine the same 3 and 1. Wish I had tried for 2 last time, was just so up the walls with work at the time. I'm supposed to start in sep too but don't think it's going to happen for me. If I fail I'm going to reward myself with some travel or something so I don't feel so depressed about being set back a year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Ha, thanks! :D Yeah, no writer's block today, thankfully.. If I can pull off something similar tomorrow I'll be a happy chap. Say hello if you see me - it'd be good to put a face to the username!

I almost did earlier, but I honestly couldn't have felt creepier about it. Haha.

Lily Belle wrote: »
    I did mine the same 3 and 1. Wish I had tried for 2 last time, was just so up the walls with work at the time. I'm supposed to start in sep too but don't think it's going to happen for me. If I fail I'm going to reward myself with some travel or something so I don't feel so depressed about being set back a year!

Yea I know its grim alright! But we'll struggle! I'm getting nowhere with EU tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Daryl Strawberry

Anyone have a summary of the Microsoft case? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Troels Hartmann

Ok for the dreaded EU it looks like I'll have:-

Institutions (in outline form - plus some waffle on the Sep of Powers etc)
    FM of Goods
    Supremacy DE & MS Liability
    Competition (101 and 102)
    Fundamental rights
    Preliminary reference procedure & Annulment (but not enforcement...)
    A decent handle on some of the more regular Case Notes thanks to some help I got here
    (and last but not least)
    An outline on Citizenship/Workers, as a last gasp hope-and-pray option.

Had planned to cover Equality as well, but there wasn't much more I (or anyone else) could physically do. So let's see......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

Good luck to everyone doing EU tomorrow, I finished my four but I have serious respect for those that are doing more. I know its weird but I feel like a parent who has given all they can to a child and just have not got any more to give... I think all these exams are getting to my head now.

Ok for the dreaded EU it looks like I'll have:-

Institutions (in outline form - plus some waffle on the Sep of Powers etc)
    FM of Goods
    Supremacy DE & MS Liability
    Competition (101 and 102)
    Fundamental rights
    Preliminary reference procedure & Annulment (but not enforcement...)
    A decent handle on some of the more regular Case Notes thanks to some help I got here
    (and last but not least)
    An outline on Citizenship/Workers, as a last gasp hope-and-pray option.

Had planned to cover Equality as well, but there wasn't much more I (or anyone else) could physically do. So let's see......

You should be flying with those covered! Slightly ashamed of how limited my topics are in comparison...

Yea I know its grim alright! But we'll struggle! I'm getting nowhere with EU tonight

Me too. I think I'll just go to bed round 10 and get up at 5, maybe my brain will be fresher. NOW my brain decides to start feeding me back all the cases for constitutional that I blanked on in the exam. Helpful.

• Advertisement

You should be flying with those covered! Slightly ashamed of how limited my topics are in comparison...

Me too and I don't even know mine! I will actually need everything that I'm planning on covering to come up ha. All of it and not doing comp.or many cases if any and they're dead certs. So my five will have to come up in the other six options and not against each other and even then I won't know it. Madness Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 34 maya_bb

Anyone have a summary of the Microsoft case? :confused:

yes, pm me your address and I'll send it on. :)

Can anyone help explain the basics of direct effect and indirect effect as per the difference between Marshall and Marleasing - as soon as I think I have it straight I get confused again.

maya_bb wrote: »
    Can anyone help explain the basics of direct effect and indirect effect as per the difference between Marshall and Marleasing - as soon as I think I have it straight I get confused again.

Direct effect can only be invoked against state or emanation of state ie always vertically marshall the health authority was emanation. so indirect effect minimises the harshness of lack of horizontal direct effect so in marleasing even though directive had no horizontal direct effect the Spanish court had to interpret the national law in light of the directive and so the company la comercial was still able so to speak 'rely' on the directive which didnt have didnt have horizontal direct effect against marleasing because of the interpretive obligation on the national ct to interpret their legislation in line with the EU directive...but then there's the few criteria for that then ie transposition date passed etc

Direct effect can only be invoked against state or emanation of state ie always vertically marshall the health authority was emanation. so indirect effect minimises the harshness of lack of horizontal direct effect so in marleasing even though directive had no horizontal direct effect the Spanish court had to interpret the national law in light of the directive and so the company la comercial was still able so to speak 'rely' on the directive which didnt have didnt have horizontal direct effect against marleasing because of the interpretive obligation on the national ct to interpret their legislation in line with the EU directive...but then there's the few criteria for that then ie transposition date passed etc

Thank you so much for this. So just to clarify with indirect effect you can rely on the directive against the Member State as per Van Colson and also private bodies as per Marleasing - but where I get confused is how this is different from direct effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawbear

Me too and I don't even know mine! I will actually need everything that I'm planning on covering to come up ha. All of it and not doing comp.or many cases if any and they're dead certs. So my five will have to come up in the other six options and not against each other and even then I won't know it. Madness Ted

hahaha I am in the EXACT same position. I must be mad in the head thinking I can do this exam tomorrow. I'm learning institutions at the min … and i have my sis reading through other topics trying to suss out which is the "easier" one for me to try cover next…I'm in a bad bad way……if you see a girl with brown hair getting up to leave after the first half hour tomorrow it will probably be me….il be heading for the bar

possibly intoxicated by the time everybody else finishes their exam ha

I NEED the case note question to come up

Exam is in 12 hours, I currently know zilch. I just can't...

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissM89

YES you can!! You have somehow managed 7 exams in 2 weeks, this is the final push for the last exam - you CAN do this!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

KEEP GOING !! Nearly there ! :) sending positive enengry your way :))

• Registered Users Posts: 41 spaz_hawk

lawbear wrote: »
    hahaha I am in the EXACT same position. I must be mad in the head thinking I can do this exam tomorrow. I'm learning institutions at the min … and i have my sis reading through other topics trying to suss out which is the "easier" one for me to try cover next…I'm in a bad bad way……if you see a girl with brown hair getting up to leave after the first half hour tomorrow it will probably be me….il be heading for the bar

Just out of curiosity how many cases have you covered for the casenote question?

• Advertisement

maya_bb wrote: »
    Thank you so much for this. So just to clarify with indirect effect you can rely on the directive against the Member State as per Van Colson and also private bodies as per Marleasing - but where I get confused is how this is different from direct effect?

The way I see it is that in van colson directive didn't have direct effect because the directive was unclear etc and even if the prison was an emanation of the state there could be no direct effect if criteria from van gend wasn't there ie clear unambiguous etc and Germany had transposed legislation implementing the directive - the ecj said they had to interpret the transposing legislation in line with the directive. i.e seeds of indirect effect because there was no direct effect or a specific remedy in German law bar refunding their travel costs. Basically indirectly giving effect to the directive where she couldn't have had d/e.

In marleasing there was no transposing legislation at all only previous national legislation so different to above and the court extended indirect effect to ALL legislation not just transposing legislation. Because there was no horizontal d/e BTW 2 private parties the courts invoked indirect effect. So the cases can be distinguished though both indirect effect. Does that make sense I'm all over the place and will have to do this in morning only on freedoms now..

Thanks for the encouragement, guys! I'll probably be up all night, but I'm going to give it a go! :)

Realised I forgot to leave in my Treaties today. at least now they hopefully won't have time to lose it on me like they did with my Succession Act. :rolleyes:

They found it eventually, over an hour into the exam!

The way I see it is that in van colson directive didn't have direct effect because the directive was unclear etc and even if the prison was an emanation of the state there could be no direct effect if criteria from van gend wasn't there ie clear unambiguous etc and Germany had transposed legislation implementing the directive - the ecj said they had to interpret the transposing legislation in line with the directive. i.e seeds of indirect effect because there was no direct effect or a specific remedy in German law bar refunding their travel costs. Basically indirectly giving effect to the directive where she couldn't have had d/e.

In marleasing there was no transposing legislation at all only previous national legislation so different to above and the court extended indirect effect to ALL legislation not just transposing legislation. Because there was no horizontal d/e BTW 2 private parties the courts invoked indirect effect. So the cases can be distinguished though both indirect effect. Does that make sense I'm all over the place and will have to do this in morning only on freedoms now..

Okay, thank you! Yes it does - I think I'm just seeing it too much in the abstract and all the nuances seem to blend together to make them seem like the same thing essentially. So frustrating.

Don't worry it'll all come together - at least that's what I'm telling myself. It'll all be over soon! Can't wait! Thanks for your help.

I do not know any cases name at all nothing! This is a joke what did I do the past week I? wrote notes and they may as well have been written by Santa cos I haven't a clue what's in them. I go onto autopilot when I do 'notes' and feel great then I didn't do notes beforend I was better off. I can't even read my writing so now I'm back to the book from scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FEar1

Just from looking at the way he normally asks questions, especially on the freedoms and competition, a vague outline will probably be enough back ed with with a few cases. He seems to love dividing up problem questions into a few different problems so I very much doubt I'd have the time to go into too much detail anyway...

What ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Troels Hartmann

Don't lose hope guys! 12 hours is an eternity in this business, even though it might not feel like it!

Don't lose hope guys! 12 hours is an eternity in this business, even though it might not feel like it!

That's why I'm wondering where the last 166 went :( what times the solar eclipse is it tomorrow? I might need it coming out of that exam. Ah no been pessimistic. Are people staying up?

FEar1 wrote: »
    Just from looking at the way he normally asks questions, especially on the freedoms and competition, a vague outline will probably be enough back ed with with a few cases. He seems to love dividing up problem questions into a few different problems so I very much doubt I'd have the time to go into too much detail anyway...

What ye think?

Agreed. After I did my notes I properly looked at past papers and realised I need to cut out 70% of what I'd done because it's just a basic overview that's needed. Hopefully. Listen, if I can get 2 pages on 3 questions at this stage I'd be delighted. Last two questions will be based on the treaties and spoof (though iv over tabbed so have no idea what any of the colours mean).

lawbear wrote: »

This blonde girl will be right behind you!

• Advertisement

This blonde girl will be right behind you!

As will the other dark haired girl. I over tabbed also and used same colours for chapters so I've written folded orange tabs on notes then regular orange tabs I'm also working from old EU book with old article numbers as well as new manuals with new articles its a mess s fiasco :):):) I better get off boards

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement