Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lily Belle

Bloody shocking I did three and a half Q's the worst yet. I covered 2004 citizenship well but I didn't know what those cases were about so I left it. I did a page on pringle with no facts or detail and half a freedoms q just so so depressing

Seriously, judging on the consensus here, 3 1/2 questions might have got you over the line! He can't fail everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭jenspondolik

Lily Belle wrote: »
    Seriously, judging on the consensus here, 3 1/2 questions might have got you over the line! He can't fail everyone

I could see loads bopping out looking happy enough def no hope if u saw the stardard of my answer well tort and const awful too so at least I've the work done!! Exhausted and drained.

Have wine and magazine I'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 31 FeDespair

Seriously?! Was he actually having a laugh? That was absolutely ridiculous.

I know these are serious exams and all that crap but come on, how do they expect people to pass them when they give such ridiculous papers?

Im gonna get mine rechecked just so I know he read all the absolute tripe I wrote.
    Totally deflated!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

So sorry to hear that it wasn't a great paper guys! I guess all you can do now it's look at the fact that's it's over now :-)

Bring on the freedom!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Id love to ask the examiner why he felt it necessary to to include such a vast array of irrelevant facts in such a scattergun way

There goes the old myth that the examiner is not out to get you and trick you into failing. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

There goes the old myth that the examiner is not out to get you and trick you into failing. :rolleyes:

Who was it who said a little about a lot? More like a lot about a very very niche little

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LadyLawGa

Who was it who said a little about a lot? More like a lot about a very very niche little

+1

How can they expect us to write an essay on those very very niche topics

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Troels Hartmann

Someone said above that he can't fail everyone..... In theory that is correct but wasn't there one year recently where the pass rate plunged to 25%? Pretty sure it was EU but may have been constitutional. Just remember it from one of the reports

That would seem to disprove that theory unfortunately

+1 on the casenotes, they were going to be my last resort.........today they were the first thing I answered. I always read papers back to front so I was chuffed when I saw loads of cases I knew...how wrong I was with the rest of the paper!

LadyLawGa wrote: »
    +1

How can they expect us to write an essay on those very very niche topics

+ 2

Even the second part of question one (comparinf and contrasting legislative acts blah blah blah) would involve a lot of creativity from even the best of us

• Advertisement

+ 2

Even the second part of question one (comparinf and contrasting legislative acts blah blah blah) would involve a lot of creativity from even the best of us

I saw that question and told myself to learn it...whoops I didn't!

FeDespair wrote: »
    I saw that question and told myself to learn it...whoops I didn't!

I wrote it all out of the book. Oh well its done I suppose. I did the thing if answering what I wasn't asked also. I'm done with it at least for six weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

It's over ... still can't believe this just happened, had given up my whole life studying for 14hrs a day since god knows how long and this happend !!God ... I feel like I am living in a nightmare lol .. actually too upset to cry and too tired to sleep !!

At least it's over !! One of those things in life ... Will try to forget about it until I have to deal with it again...

Thank you again every one for the last while

Same as. Eating mcdonalds now though and loving the artificial goodness...mmmmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 prior 9021

Well that was a **** storm, left after the hour. Can someone explain something; Ive passed 3 from 4 exams from my first sitting, and sat 5 this time round. How many do I need to be deemed to have passed the examination?Is it three again?

prior 9021 wrote: »
    Well that was a **** storm, left after the hour. Can someone explain something; Ive passed 3 from 4 exams from my first sitting, and sat 5 this time round. How many do I need to be deemed to have passed the examination?Is it three again?

No u can do one at a time if u want after u get ur three as long as it's 8 done within the timeframe is it five years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

I spent the last three weeks solid learning off for this exam on top of doing lectures for it since before Christmas so that I'd be sure I got into blackhall in September. And then that happens. Words don't even come close.

And what sort of exam system means that you still don't pass when you put in the hours and some?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

Can we JR the ******* examiners on grounds of the ligitate expectation that they wouldn't throw crap at us and actually stay within the manuals? I mean seriously, asking stuff outside of the manual is the same as answering a question with non - relevant caselaw. Rant over..

No u can do one at a time if u want after u get ur three as long as it's 8 done within the timeframe is it five years?

You need to pass 3 at the one time to bring them forward. After that you can pass them one at a time. Once you pass all 8, they last for 5 years from the date you passed the 8th one.

That's my understanding of it, and even if im wrong im not far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

I didn't sit EU today but if material came up that isn't even on the syllabus then its ridiculous and definitely warrants a complaint.

• Advertisement

dashdoll wrote: »
    I didn't sit EU today but if material came up that isn't even on the syllabus then its ridiculous and definitely warrants a complaint.

Oh it's probably hidden on the official list somewhere. Like liability for fire. :rolleyes: There's barely a page on that in the manual!

I get the feeling they were trying to tell us something in general about prep courses and predictions...

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Oh it's probably hidden on the official list somewhere. Like liability for fire. :rolleyes: There's barely a page on that in the manual!

I get the feeling they were trying to tell us something in general about prep courses and predictions...

I get that about them not wanting people relying on prep courses and manuals etc but for gods sake how the hell are people meant to prepare otherwise in a reasonable time frame while still holding down jobs and having lives etc.

It's just so frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawbear

so exhausted, I attempted the question on remedies, could anyone tell me what that was supposed to involve? I was probably way off…. have to go to a "networking" event next week with my firm, dreading people asking how the exams went…. also I did the question on the commission, in the sample answer I have from griffith a huge part of the answer was in the treaty…for its role and legislative process…that can't be good

dashdoll wrote: »
    I get that about them not wanting people relying on prep courses and manuals etc but for gods sake how the hell are people meant to prepare otherwise in a reasonable time frame while still holding down jobs and having lives etc.

It's just so frustrating.

It'd be a lot easier (and they'd make a lot more money) if they just made subject manuals themselves.

I'm not at home no but could someone take a look at the syllabus and check?

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Documents/education/FE-1/FE1%20Syllabus.pdf

Me too I only read one EU exam report and he said the trend will continue in not bringing up standardised prep school predicted answers or expected questions. Something along those lines.

I've never been one for learning off prewritten essays but you can't go out of your way to catch people off guard. I've never done prep schools but is it not a good thing that people are doing extra courses lectures etc to know more and familiarise and pass? We could have gone off reading new cases for eu today like people did for constitutional and then for it not to come up. There is just a limited amount of time for theses its not like college spending a year at you have four mths. There's plenty of time when you're a solicitor to do cpd and keep up-to-date you have to. These should be about comprehension and application of the basic principles :(

I'd say they're def against prep schools and I was tempted to do one for constitutional and EU if they went bad but seems I'd be better hanging out on europa. EU and reading the Irish law times

lawbear wrote: »
    so exhausted, I attempted the question on remedies, could anyone tell me what that was supposed to involve? I was probably way off…. have to go to a "networking" event next week with my firm, dreading people asking how the exams went…. also I did the question on the commission, in the sample answer I have from griffith a huge part of the answer was in the treaty…for its role and legislative process…that can't be good

I dunno maybe infringement I spoke vaguely re judicial review and fundamental rights. I did the part b of the commission question ALL out of the book. Didn't matter anyway. We're free for the weekend anyway I'm dreading work Monday I had a week study leave an exam and think I failed all.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

I'm not at home no but could someone take a look at the syllabus and check?

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Documents/education/FE-1/FE1%20Syllabus.pdf

As far as I can tell no mention of monetary policy which was a question today.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 spaz_hawk

My answer book resembles a YouTube comments section discussion on the 'Ra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lily Belle

It'd be a lot easier (and they'd make a lot more money) if they just made subject manuals themselves.

Sorry now but it's ridiculous. We are trying to pass these exams so we can learn how to be legal experts AFTER the exams. We all put in the work. We are not EU law experts. I'm all for not regurgitating pre-learned answers that aren't relevant to the question but at least stick to some sort of exhaustive list of topics. Sorry now but for a subject that I think is the least practical in day to day life of all of them, some of those questions were a joke. I'm not so much annoyed as I am worried about next time. His examiners report will be an interesting read.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement