Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

So this is what I am doing for Constitution:
    Interpretation; Nation People and the State; Seperation of Powers; President; Fundemental Rights; Unenumerated Rights including livelihood; Right to life with unborn; Equality; Due Process; Private Property; Family and Education.

Do you guys think this I covered myself for 5 questions in the exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Interpretation; Nation People and the State; Seperation of Powers; President; Fundemental Rights; Unenumerated Rights including livelihood; Right to life with unborn; Equality; Due Process; Private Property; Family and Education.

If you know them all fairly well then that seems to be most of the course.

Add in knowing the likes of proportionality really well, and some new cases or topical discussion then I reckon you're on a winner bar a horrible exam paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CRM1

That seems to be sufficient, maybe just to be sure to add in the principles of judicial review if you haven't already just to be sure. I have more or less the same covered and to be honest it is just seriously bad luck if questions come up not pertaining to the above! So I'm hoping that I'm covered more concerned about exam technique at this stage, as its only 35mins per question to get the most important parts down as well as the case law!

CRM1 wrote: »
    That seems to be sufficient, maybe just to be sure to add in the principles of judicial review if you haven't already just to be sure. I have more or less the same covered and to be honest it is just seriously bad luck if questions come up not pertaining to the above! So I'm hoping that I'm covered more concerned about exam technique at this stage, as its only 35mins per question to get the most important parts down as well as the case law!

Exactly this!

Now is the time to be focusing on retaining case names and seeing how exactly you will go about answering a question, and knowing what kind of questions usually arise for certain topics, especially if the questions don't mix topics.

It's all about getting down and revising from next week (for me anyway), just drilling case names into the head. You should have a good/decent understanding at this stage and be able to remember the gist of a topic at the very least.

chops018 wrote: »
    If you know them all fairly well then that seems to be most of the course.

Add in knowing the likes of proportionality really well, and some new cases or topical discussion then I reckon you're on a winner bar a horrible exam paper.

Thanks Chops. I really appreciate your input and followed your advice re studying that you've put up earlier. Now just hoping to retain it all for the next two and half weeks while I'm focussing on company, criminal and contract!!! Ah... Living the dream!

• Advertisement

Thanks Chops. I really appreciate your input and followed your advice re studying that you've put up earlier. Now just hoping to retain it all for the next two and half weeks while I'm focussing on company, criminal and contract!!! Ah... Living the dream!

I'm only saying the above from my own experience. I know everyone is different when it comes to studying but this sitting will be for (hopefully) my final two exams, so I've been down the long road with these horrible FE's and know a bit about some different ways of studying.

I must admit, I am (and did) find it hard for motivation in the last while for study. Here's hoping for a good final two weeks of study.

I'm only saying the above from my own experience. I know everyone is different when it comes to studying but this sitting will be for (hopefully) my final two exams, so I've been down the long road with these horrible FE's and know a bit about some different ways of studying.

I must admit, I am (and did) find it hard for motivation in the last while for study. Here's hoping for a good final two weeks of study.

Well, this is my first sitting and I know I am in for a rough ride. Having done my degree last year it just seems that condensing the manual down to roughly 4 pages per chapter is wrong! For the degree we needed more in depth analysis but obviously it's the other way around for these monsters. I haven't done any exam questions per se but I have looked at them and their answers. I think the main thing is spotting the issues and once you've manage to identify them roughly trot down the principles with a few cases and then conclude.

I'm hoping I'm right but my main worry is whether the stuff I studied will come up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LostOutForeign

Is the Buchanan/Duomatic principle not on the company syllabus? It's not mentioned specifically but it could come under members' and directors' meetings?

Quite confused as to what exactly I should be learning... My college notes are easier to learn from since I've learned them before. Like, I have the City Colleges 2011-2012 manual but I'm finding that it gives too little information in a lot of areas and I feel like it wouldn't adequately prepare me to answer exam questions alone (for example, there's only one paragraph and no case law on retention of title but this has previously been examined as a question in itself!).

• Registered Users Posts: 34 rickety cricket

Have City Colleges given any night before notes for Tort? Its the only one i'd like to see... Typical!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

Is the Buchanan/Duomatic principle not on the company syllabus? It's not mentioned specifically but it could come under members' and directors' meetings?

Just came across those cases mentioned in a sample answer to a question on ways members can sanction courses of action

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 filosoraptor

Have the following covered for EU & was just wondering if people out there thought it would be sufficient:
    1. Institutions
    2. Legislative Procedures & SofP
    3. Competences
    4. Sources of Law
    5. Application - Direct effect, MS Liability & Supremacy
    6. Procedures - Annulment Action & Preliminary reference
    7. Free movement of goods
    8. Free movement of workers
    9. Freedom of Establishment & Freedom to Provide Services
    11. Equality
    12. Competition Law - Arts 101 & 102
    Its way more than I've done for any other FE-1 & am worried about retaining it all but that's just the beauty of EU I guess!! Am I missing any glaringly obvious areas??
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

Have the following covered for EU & was just wondering if people out there thought it would be sufficient:
    1. Institutions
    2. Legislative Procedures & SofP
    3. Competences
    4. Sources of Law
    5. Application - Direct effect, MS Liability & Supremacy
    6. Procedures - Annulment Action & Preliminary reference
    7. Free movement of goods
    8. Free movement of workers
    9. Freedom of Establishment & Freedom to Provide Services
    11. Equality
    12. Competition Law - Arts 101 & 102
    Its way more than I've done for any other FE-1 & am worried about retaining it all but that's just the beauty of EU I guess!! Am I missing any glaringly obvious areas??
    Thanks

Maybe add in citizenship and anti-discrimination, can be useful for FM of persons. And a bit more on competition would give you peace of mind e.g. state aids.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Aislingo55

Is practice in answering exam questions a necessity? Time is precious in these last few weeks and while I plan on focusing on exam technique to an extent I need to spend time drumming cases and statute into my head. I know this is a time consuming exercise but it would also seem like a sensible thing to do given it is my first FE1 sitting. Any thoughts on the matter greatly appreciated.

Aislingo55 wrote: »
    Is practice in answering exam questions a necessity? Time is precious in these last few weeks and while I plan on focusing on exam technique to an extent I need to spend time drumming cases and statute into my head. I know this is a time consuming exercise but it would also seem like a sensible thing to do given it is my first FE1 sitting. Any thoughts on the matter greatly appreciated.

It's my first sitting too, and to be honest I feel the most important thing is to know the law. Once you know that you can answer any question and its only a matter of making sure you write down what needs to be written down in roughly 35 minutes. I could be wrong, but that has always been my approach and it seems to have been working for me thus far!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

If exam technique includes the form of the examiners question types, then no.

Most students find it easier/useful to dry run 5 timed questions earlier on in the process.

Familiarity breeds (exam) contempt. If you know the form of the questiond/answers, then it makes it easy for you.

E.g., Criminal types:

1. Essay; 2. Problem; 3. Fragmented thematic; 4. Four/five part - write a note on diverse areas; 5. Two part longer problem - associated/unassociated.

Exam reports are a great steer.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Tom Young wrote: »
    Exam reports are a great steer.
    Except for in Constitutional.

"Candidates have let me down again, more depressingly than the last time. From experience, candidates were insufficiently prepared to answer questions where a kitchen sink was thrown at them. Don't you ever try to predict the paper because I set the paper with the aid of tarot cards and a 20-sided dice. Never underesimate Hogan's ability to find a constitutional issue in two bald men fighting over a comb. You sicken me."

Or words to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭michelle2000

Hi all - just a quick one on the legislation that we can bring into the exam

1) Succession Acts 1965 - is highlighting/underlining okay? It mentions we need to hand these in to be checked at least a day before the exams - does anyone know how this works? Property is my first exam and I was only planning on travelling up the night before from Cork?

2) Sales of Goods Act etc for Contract - what question would this benefit? The SOG questions normally only comes up re EU leg impact - just wondering do many people actually bring in this legislation?

Thanks a mill

Robbo wrote: »

"Candidates have let me down again, more depressingly than the last time. From experience, candidates were insufficiently prepared to answer questions where a kitchen sink was thrown at them. Don't you ever try to predict the paper because I set the paper with the aid of tarot cards and a 20-sided dice. Never underesimate Hogan's ability to find a constitutional issue in two bald men fighting over a comb. You sicken me."

Or words to that effect.

Hilarious summary! So glad i got Constitutional out of the way in march

Anyone nice enough to give summary of the tort examiner reports from march? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sorchauna

Robbo wrote: »

Or words to that effect.

The best thing I have read all day!... So funny but sad that its spot on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Glinda!

Same here "the fear" hasnt kicked in yet. . but it will!! Two weeks 2 go and an absolute mountain of work 2 get through never mind learn off!! I think its because its our last two (hopefully!!) just want them to be over and done with!!!

Glinda! wrote: »
    Same here "the fear" hasnt kicked in yet. . but it will!! Two weeks 2 go and an absolute mountain of work 2 get through never mind learn off!! I think its because its our last two (hopefully!!) just want them to be over and done with!!!

Yes there is still plenty of time with 2 full weeks and only two subjects.

Unfortunately mine are Tort and Company, they are both the first two. I would have preferred a gap in them to be honest.

Here's hoping the study goes well from now up until them and nice papers to go with it.

What are your two exams?

Tort & EU so I have a full week between each TG!! Its tough when they are in 2 days but like you said its still only 2 exams! I think thats why the panic hasnt set in yet. . its not so much the study its the sheer amount of info that has 2 go into your brain if your doing 3-4 subjects!!

Only 1 problem remains. . Im a Mayo woman. . All-Ireland Win or FE-1's?!?! I could be selling a room in the red cow very cheap next Monday morning!!
    There's always March!! :eek:

Glinda! wrote: »
    Tort & EU so I have a full week between each TG!! Its tough when they are in 2 days but like you said its still only 2 exams! I think thats why the panic hasnt set in yet. . its not so much the study its the sheer amount of info that has 2 go into your brain if your doing 3-4 subjects!!

Only 1 problem remains. . Im a Mayo woman. . All-Ireland Win or FE-1's?!?! I could be selling a room in the red cow very cheap next Monday morning!!
    There's always March!! :eek:

Ah that's a week before the exams, no harm in having a small few if they win haha!

I'm fairly happy with Tort tbh, not really leaving a whole lot out and I seem to be remembering the stuff fairly well.

Company on the other hand is scaring me a bit.

I plan on trying to get my head around it this week and then use next week for revision for the two.

How are you set for EU and Tort? I found it to be one of the easier FE's apart from the amount in it (and possibly because my Master's had plenty of EU law).

I find Tort ok aswell to study but im wary of how that will go examwise after last sitting.

EU is my worst nightmare. Its been 5 yrs since I did it in college so lot has changed since + dont remember much of it neways!! And I cant for the life of me understand what A**Hole thought it was a good idea to renumber articles in the treaties. . Twice!! I find myself doing loads for Tort just to avoid having to look at EU but its gona have 2 b done! From what I gather its relatively easily marked in comparison to other subjects its just the thoughts of it!! :(

Mayo 4 Sam = Beer for a Year!!:D:D:D

Ah that's a week before the exams, no harm in having a small few if they win haha!

I'm fairly happy with Tort tbh, not really leaving a whole lot out and I seem to be remembering the stuff fairly well.

Company on the other hand is scaring me a bit.

I plan on trying to get my head around it this week and then use next week for revision for the two.

How are you set for EU and Tort? I found it to be one of the easier FE's apart from the amount in it (and possibly because my Master's had plenty of EU law).

Contract is scaring me!! It would have been so much easier if we could focus in twelve topics and pass!!!

Contract is scaring me!! It would have been so much easier if we could focus in twelve topics and pass!!!

Contract is horrible alright. Took me a while to get my head around it, I hate the mixture of topics in the questions and the essays do usually be tough too. I think I covered nearly everything for it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Morris_fe1s

Contract is horrible alright. Took me a while to get my head around it, I hate the mixture of topics in the questions and the essays do usually be tough too. I think I covered nearly everything for it though.
    The mixing of topics is annoying, but I suppose the fact that we have 5 questions out of 8 offers some relief.

The mixing of topics is annoying, but I suppose the fact that we have 5 questions out of 8 offers some relief.

And you covering everything for contract? It Is there any chapters you're specifically focussing on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Milkypops

Unfortunately mine are Tort and Company, they are both the first two. I would have preferred a gap in them to be honest.

hey chops, just wondering would u be able to tel me what came up in the oct 11 and oct 12 tort sitting....im planning on leaving occupiers liability and passing off out as they came up in last sitting.....good or bad idea? cheers for any input :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement