Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Lily Belle wrote: »
    Could anyone who just passed the last of their exams tell me if online it says anything about confirming you've passed all 8? I thought someone said before it does but mine doesn't. I'm here refusing to believe I passed and something's gone wrong

I've all 8 passed aswel. I printed out the results page! Tues is a long time to wait for post so I am finally accepting the result. Especially as everyone who passed EU is the same. i.e in shock that they did! The only thing on my page is a fairly generic

'If you have passed the FE-1, please note that you must apply for consent to enter into indentures of apprenticeship within five years of 31 December 2015.'

I am sure it is fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TinkledPink

lawbear wrote: »
    Anyone else have to tell their firm they wont be starting blackhall? I wonder how they feel about deferralls..anyone know or have experience with this?

Yeah, I had to tell mine today I wouldn't be able to start Blackhall this year. They dropped my traineeship with no option for deferral. That's probably not what you want to hear but everywhere is different so they might cut you a break. Back to the drawing board... and more applications in September:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

Yeah, I had to tell mine today I wouldn't be able to start Blackhall this year. They dropped my traineeship all in about 5 mins, no option for deferral. That's probably not what you want to hear but everywhere is different so they might cut you a break. Back to the drawing board... and more applications in September:(

Were you going to train in one of the Big 5? Sorry to hear, I'm sure some other firm will quickly scoop you up.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TinkledPink

Fair play to everyone whose finished now or got the 'magic number', happy for ye.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Daryl Strawberry

Yeah, I had to tell mine today I wouldn't be able to start Blackhall this year. They dropped my traineeship all in about 5 mins, no option for deferral. That's probably not what you want to hear but everywhere is different so they might cut you a break. Back to the drawing board... and more applications in September:(

Sorry to hear, I thought most places would be pretty flexible with stuff like that, seeing as they have large intakes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dandadub

Happy but slight anticlimax. 2 out of the final 3. 55 in EU (Shocked!) 62 in Company and 42 (again!) in Constitutional. How do i get 50!?!

On the bright side only 1 to go!

Well done everyone! Bring on the long weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Well I had way over estimated myself. Only managed to pass property. :-(
    Back to the first 4 it is!

That is very tough but don't be disheartened
    Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Holy crap I apparently passed EU. Im in absolute shock. Ive done way better papers and failed. Im afraid to tell anyone as I can't believe and think it might be a mistake

I remember that feeling!
    I thought I played a blinder in Property compared to last time and went down 9 percent. Thought Constitutional was a definite pass and only managed 50 on the dot.

These are strange exams indeed!!

they are impossible to predict and its impossible to analyse your performance afterwards so you are better off to forget the "tips" beforehand and never think of the exam once you leave the hall.
    Out of the five exams I did I passed one..equity..got 51 and pretty sure i answered it close enough to griffith sample answers. Study loads for contract, tort, got 40. Didnt study for EU AT ALL...I mean NOTHING...no caselaw, basically copied from treaty and I get 44 which makes me conclude these exams are a load of Sh**te and a money making racket. €115 for a recheck are they serious??

Dreading telling my firm. Today is not a good day.

Really sorry to hear this, I hope your firm are understanding. Going on yur post it seems that whilst you are putting lots of effort studying you aren't giving the examiner enough of what he wants to pass. Take a look at your style of answering, When I gave 4 and 5 page detailed answers I failed. When I changed my answers to 2.5 to 3 pages max I passed. My initial kitchen sink approach wasn't what the examiners wanted, when I targeted the issues and got specific I could cover more ground and I scored much better.

That is awful news, the Big 5 can be ruthless sometimes. The thing is that having been recruited by the Big 5 you are an exceptional candidate and other firms will recognise that and be impressed by it. Other firms in the Big Five and any other large mid-size firm will be very keen to recruit you despite this set back, do not give up hope!

Commiserations to all were unsuccessful this time around and congratulations to everyone who got good news today, the FE-1s are an awful experience but I promise it gets better and it is worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭jenspondolik

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    I've all 8 passed aswel. I printed out the results page! Tues is a long time to wait for post so I am finally accepting the result. Especially as everyone who passed EU is the same. i.e in shock that they did! The only thing on my page is a fairly generic

'If you have passed the FE-1, please note that you must apply for consent to enter into indentures of apprenticeship within five years of 31 December 2015.'

I am sure it is fine!

I am the exact same i passed three last march, one on recheck in sept and last four today so i got no confirmation with mine and finding it hard to believe tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 13 beerose

Congrats to all who passed today!

Can anyone advise on the success of passing on rechecks generally? Got 47 in Equity and wondering if it's worth the recheck fee if results generally come back the same or worse?

beerose wrote: »

Can anyone advise on the success of passing on rechecks generally? Got 47 in Equity and wondering if it's worth the recheck fee if results generally come back the same or worse?

I got 48 in contract and got 50 on recheck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lily Belle

Congrats everyone who passed, I feel terrible for everyone who didn't get what they wanted. Iv learned a sore lesson that you can't predict anything when it comes to these exams. Exams I thought Were great were borderline, ones I thought I failed I did fine. I'll never understand it. Just persevere.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lily Belle

I'm in shock - managed to pass company constitutional EU and Tort even though did about 3-4 questions in each of them. Beyond crazy. Must be bell curve marking. i booked hols there cos i thought blackhall out the window.

Well done to everyone who passed that hideous EU exam!

Well done Jen! I'm the same as you, had booked hols for July, now have to start in my firm on Tuesday! Thank god for good old booking.com's cancellation policy! Nothing sorted, still in my current job, nothing to wear, not even mentally prepared for work or blackhall ha.

Well done Jen! I'm the same as you, had booked hols for July, now have to start in my firm on Tuesday! Thank god for good old booking.com's cancellation policy! Nothing sorted, still in my current job, nothing to wear, not even mentally prepared for work or blackhall ha.

congrats too! delighted for you! I cant cancel mine I went with the aul no refund option cos it was cheaper - oh well.

And commiserations to anyone who didn't pass this go - these were the hardest most draining I've ever done and I used to fly college exams no bother. What I will say if it helps anyone at all is stay to the end of every exam those last few bullet points are the difference. In EU I was that close to upping and leaving with others when I read the paper but I did 3 questions or so and got 51. In Tort, accumulation in Rylands came up and in last few minutes I did a page on non natural use and tried to tie it to accumulation as it wasn't in my manual. Got 50 on the button and I was certain I failed- thought the only one I stood a chance with was Company.
    I wrote waffle in Constitutional as I hadn't covered a lot of what came up and got 55. So even if you think an exam or question went atrociously do not jeopardise the next one and drive on because these are the weirdest marked exams I've ever done.

I will say I have lost faith in the exam school manuals and tips and if I had to do these again I would work from past exam papers/reports, one good text and a nutshell and maybe go on the Courts section of the Irish Times to see the daily recent cases- other people may feel differently though....

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭neesie_85

beerose wrote: »

I got 43 in company last year got it rechecked and passed with 53... so definitely worth it if between 40 and 50

annoyed me though that they could they mistake 10 percent in the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭neesie_85

Well I had way over estimated myself. Only managed to pass property. :-(
    Back to the first 4 it is!

they changed it this year now you only have to sit three rather than four. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭southcounty

I passed EU?? There has to be a mistake, I only did 2/3 questions?

I passed too. Our letters must've worked!! Holy crap can't believe it. Blackhall here I come. So happy that you and pepp189 passed too 😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

neesie_85 wrote: »
    I got 43 in company last year got it rechecked and passed with 53... so definitely worth it if between 40 and 50

annoyed me though that they could they mistake 10 percent in the difference.

I got 43 in company, im def gonna get it rechecked after this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FEar1

Passed EU too, 50 on the button! Most productive letters a lot of us have ever written I'd say! I agree that the examiner's report will be interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Troels Hartmann

Hi all.

Totally stunned to have passed EU with a 62 (!!). That's simply not possible based on that awful paper, so they must have marked it incredibly easy.

Also pleasant surprised to get 50 in Constitutional. I agree totally with the people above who mentioned bullet points etc as a 5th question. I wrote a page and a half of contemptible bullet-pointed waffle on the referenda question as my 5th and clearly it got me over the line.

Also got 58 in company which I was expecting to pass so I'm pleased.

In a nutshell that's all 8 done for me! At long, long last!

Congrats to all who did well. Commiserations to everyone who was disappointed. Please don't lose heart because thousands of people have managed to come through this hideous process before you, and everyone finds it excruciatingly painful.

To those who might have lost traineeships because of the results - that happened to me before, and I'm now heading to a much better firm as a result of it! So don't lose heart. Any firm that doesn't understand how awful these exams are isn't worth working for, in my opinion.

Many thanks to everyone here for the moral support in recent months. It mattered so, so much during those depressing exam weeks in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but did not really want to start a new thread for a quick question. In a letter from the firm where I managed to secure my TC, it says to keep them updated with my results. I was thinking should I bother sending them the 4 FE1 results or wait until I complete all of them? I also have to receive results from my college summer exams. So basically just wondering should I be bothering them with titbits of results here and there or just send them all in before I am meant to start? Apologies again if the question is a bit silly, just looking for some advice on the going etiquette.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Troels Hartmann

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but did not really want to start a new thread for a quick question. In a letter from the firm where I managed to secure my TC, it says to keep them updated with my results. I was thinking should I bother sending them the 4 FE1 results or wait until I complete all of them? I also have to receive results from my college summer exams. So basically just wondering should I be bothering them with titbits of results here and there or just send them all in before I am meant to start? Apologies again if the question is a bit silly, just looking for some advice on the going etiquette.

Id definitely update them that you're making progress. What harm can that do?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I'd just email and say that you passed the 4 (or however many) exams and plan to sit the next lot in Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Rickytumtum

Somehow I passed EU. It was without a doubt the worst exams I've ever done. I wrote absolute ****, and even gave up on some of the questions mid sentence because nothing I said was making any sense. For my other 7 exams I wrote a good 4 Q's and then a dodgy 5th and grades averaged in the 50s. For EU, I was not happy with a single question and I managed to get 60. I have no idea how I passed that exam. I've never been so confused in my life. If there is anything to be learnt it is this-stay the full three hours and write ANYTHING. I was tempted to leave after 30 min because there were no questions I could answer. Insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lawlols

Darren07 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, anybody have plans to head to PPC1 this September and my be interested in sharing a house between a few?

Best of Luck with upcoming results. Know the nerves and pain well!!

Just starting my househunting now that I have my results!!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawbear

Im really curious...what age is everyone that is heading to blackhall??and how long did it take ye to pass the 8exams?? 2/3/4 sittings? Just wondering what the average is :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Im really curious...what age is everyone that is heading to blackhall??and how long did it take ye to pass the 8exams?? 2/3/4 sittings? Just wondering what the average is :-)

I passed all 8 last March. I started them in October 2012 and got the last one in March 2014. So that's 4 sittings.

I am still on the apprenticeship hunt and I have done countless interviews for one at this stage but still no luck.

If I manage to get one before this September then I will be 26 starting (although I will turn 27 soon after). I keep trying to remind myself that I have until 2019 to start so no immediate rush but I would prefer to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

I was 32 starting Blackhall and nearly 15% of us were over 30 that year. The oldest was in his 60s. A lot of people were 27 or 28. Only a handful were younger than 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭southcounty

Quote: Darren07
    Hi Guys, anybody have plans to head to PPC1 this September and my be interested in sharing a house between a few?

Best of Luck with upcoming results. Know the nerves and pain well!!

lawlols wrote: »
    Just starting my househunting now that I have my results!!

Hey guys I'll be travelling to Dublin in sept so would be interested in sharing with other ppc1 students. If ye find anything decent pm me. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ellie88

neesie_85 wrote: »
    they changed it this year now you only have to sit three rather than four. good luck

Hi Guys,

Just logged on here to say thanks for all of the support and guidance. I havent been super active on this thread for the last while - especially after that head melter of an EU law exam (didnt want to freak myself out more than I already was!!!). Anyway, thankfully have come through on all 4 (shockingly well - a 60 in Constitutional and a 62 in EU?!???) and heading to Blackhall in September.

Happy to share any and all materials FOC for anyone who wants them (does that count as advertising? I hope not, it was said with the best of intentions!). I managed to secure Equity, Tort, Criminal and Contract last October (first time around) and, like I said, the remaining four this sitting.

For anyone who didnt get them - the more I hear and the more I read on this thread, I feel like the examiner just throws the papers down the stairs and decides who passes based on the pile that lands face up. Its like numberwang (Mitchell and Webb show anyone?) for law students.

Best of luck to all of you and thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

It took me 4 sittings to pass all 8 fe1's. I'll be 25 and about to turn 26 when I start.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement