Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Troels Hartmann

Speaking of sample andwers: I have to say I was pretty shocked by the standard of the sample answers from Griffith on EU and Constitutional.

In many cases they seemed to be copy and paste jobs which vaguely cover the general topic area and made no attempt to tailor/tweak them to the specific question asked. In a couple of places in my sample answer binder I have scrawled in the margin examples of where something stated in the sample answer was 100% verifiably incorrect.

I was going to mention this on the thread at the time but I thought best not to in case people would be freaked out by it. Did anyone else notice this?

Anyway for me it just underlined the fact that it would be a big mistake to rely solely on sample answers. They're great in terms of seeing how questions should be approached, but nothing beats having more detailed notes which are more than just a skim-job which the sample answers often are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

In my own experience, the FE1s just seem a bit bizarre. For example, for Criminal Law I used a heavily outdated textbook (circa 2001) and a (also outdated) nutshell to study. I flicked through the reports a few nights before my exam. This turned out to be my best result out of them all. In contrast, for Equity I used a fully updated manual, the latest textbook, sample answers and reports and I barely passed at 54 per cent. I will also add that Equity was one of my favorite subjects in college and I was semi-looking forward to the actual exam (not joking, it does happen).

Overall, I think that I scored higher in exams where I studied from textbooks and did not bother with manuals at all. For the next batch I will just stick with the textbook and maybe a nutshell for some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 fe1chancer

looking for some advice, i passed 2 of 5 in my first sitting my other results were 46%,47% and 43%. Is it worth paying for a recheck and hope i get one over the 50% mark to get the magic 3? Any advice is appreciated.

fe1chancer wrote: »
    looking for some advice, i passed 2 of 5 in my first sitting my other results were 46%,47% and 43%. Is it worth paying for a recheck and hope i get one over the 50% mark to get the magic 3? Any advice is appreciated.

It is MOST DEFINITELY worth getting anything 45 or over rechecked. (Some people even say 40 or over)

Yes it's (yet another) waste of money on these blasted things but certainly on the 46 and 47 ones it is worth throwing good money after bad

It's parficularly worth it in a situation where you're looking for the magic no. 3 or the magic no. 8

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭law_student1

Hi Guys,

As many of you have just sat these exams i was wondering could I pick some brains...

I graduated with a Corp Law degree from NUIG last November.

I am now thinking of sitting Tort, Contract, Company, Criminal and EU in September. I plan on studying Monday-Friday full time from the beginning of June. Am I biting off more than I can chew? I got a high 2.1 in college and am determined to take on these exams.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 fe1chancer

It is MOST DEFINITELY worth getting anything 45 or over rechecked. (Some people even say 40 or over)

Yes it's (yet another) waste of money on these blasted things but certainly on the 46 and 47 ones it is worth throwing good money after bad

It's parficularly worth it in a situation where you're looking for the magic no. 3 or the magic no. 8

Cheers Troels Hartmann I can live in hope anyway and hope it gets me over the mark

Hi Guys,

As many of you have just sat these exams i was wondering could I pick some brains...

I graduated with a Corp Law degree from NUIG last November.

I am now thinking of sitting Tort, Contract, Company, Criminal and EU in September. I plan on studying Monday-Friday full time from the beginning of June. Am I biting off more than I can chew? I got a high 2.1 in college and am determined to take on these exams.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I think that's certainly more than manageable if you can dedicate that amount of time to it. If you're doing it full time then that's an enormous boost.

I managed to get through 5 in a similar timeframe working just evenings and weekends - so full time would be a boost.

Anyone doing 5 though will need to rigorously plan out your time - a certain number of weeks to get through all the material for each subject etc. Otherwise you could find yourself in mid August with two full subjects left to get through. Planning is key for doing that many at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭jdbarry

Just a question regarding the manuals, is it possible to purchase them from the colleges or do you only get one if you enrol in one of the courses they provide? I know you can get them on adverts and all the rest, just looking to get an up to date one for Company.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭law_student1

I think that's certainly more than manageable if you can dedicate that amount of time to it. If you're doing it full time then that's an enormous boost.

I managed to get through 5 in a similar timeframe working just evenings and weekends - so full time would be a boost.

Anyone doing 5 though will need to rigorously plan out your time - a certain number of weeks to get through all the material for each subject etc. Otherwise you could find yourself in mid August with two full subjects left to get through. Planning is key for doing that many at a time.

Thanks for the feedback my friend. Id imagine it quite difficult to set a plan for such a vast amount of study topics though? An how vital is it that the manuals are this years? Id imagine they could be hard to come by. I have Tort and Criminal 2013 but i assume they are too dated to take as gospel now!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bobsterlfc

€840 just to apply to go on the PPC1 and then €8300 to participate on it. Thats on top of the FE1 exam fees. Crazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

bobsterlfc wrote: »
    €840 just to apply to go on the PPC1 and then €8300 to participate on it. Thats on top of the FE1 exam fees. Crazy

Jesus that application fee is extortionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I just felt I had to post something here and I am getting misty eyed with nostalgia...I sat (and passed of course) all 8 in 2001..

Apologies for the radom post...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Ok, so I'm definitely resitting Company Law in September. The thing is, I'm not sure if I should go with what I have (manuals, old Companies Acts) or make life potentially easier for myself and study the new Act and do the paper based on it. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Not sure how many others I'll be sitting (I'm appealing a few), but I've nearly five months to be at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ellie88

Hi Guys,

Just to say sorry I haven't replied to those who have contacted me the last week or so. I am actually on vacation - what was supposed to be a post result / pre office holiday type break - but have come down with a nasty bug / eye infection (literally the day after I got results!). I will definitely get back to you when I am feeling a bit better.

Cheers

Ok, so I'm definitely resitting Company Law in September. The thing is, I'm not sure if I should go with what I have (manuals, old Companies Acts) or make life potentially easier for myself and study the new Act and do the paper based on it. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Not sure how many others I'll be sitting (I'm appealing a few), but I've nearly five months to be at it!

Personally I would stick to the old Companies Acts. Why add to your workload when you don't have to? And how would it make life easier to take on the additional workload of the 2014 Act?!

Personally I would stick to the old Companies Acts. Why add to your workload when you don't have to? And how would it make life easier to take on the additional workload of the 2014 Act?!

To know it for actual practice?! :P

Thanks for the feedback my friend. Id imagine it quite difficult to set a plan for such a vast amount of study topics though? An how vital is it that the manuals are this years? Id imagine they could be hard to come by. I have Tort and Criminal 2013 but i assume they are too dated to take as gospel now!

It's not vital that the manuals are this years. But don't let them get too old for some subjects ....

Criminal, contract, equity, tort - the manuals could be 10 years old and you'do get away with it as long as you follow the exam papers and exam reports.

Property, Company - relatively recent (2011 onwards) and youd be ok. Company will obviously change radically for the March 2016 sitting and all old manuals will be totally obsolete.

Constitution, EU - as up to date as possible. But on these even if you have 2014 manuals you really new to keep your ear to the ground for new cases - eg for the EU notes question, the Gormley/White case on legal rep, and the vital JC case on admissibility of evidence from literally last month.

I passed all 8 based on 2011 manuals. But that was with heavy use of exam papers and reports, as well as the use of sample answers for some guidance on structure and approach. Also relied on a small amount of external reading on EU and Constitutional for the newer cases mentioned above.

To know it for actual practice?! :P

FE-1s......... for use in actual practice?!

Oh you big joker you! That's the funniest notion ive heard in weeks :p

FE-1s......... for use in actual practice?!

Oh you big joker you! That's the funniest notion ive heard in weeks :p

Yeah, I thought I might be getting notions alright! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

It's not vital that the manuals are this years. But don't let them get too old for some subjects ....

Criminal, contract, equity, tort - the manuals could be 10 years old and you'do get away with it as long as you follow the exam papers and exam reports.

I think there could be a few new changes now re unconstitutionally obtained evidence so probably worth trying to get either a brand new manual or near as possible and filling in the gaps.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Shan89

Hi,

Just wondering would anyone have a grid for contract and constitutional that they wouldn't mind sharing. I am just getting my manuals ready to lend to a friend and I can't seem to find my grids. I have grids for EU and company if anyone wants them.

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

Shan89 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering would anyone have a grid for contract and constitutional that they wouldn't mind sharing. I am just getting my manuals ready to lend to a friend and I can't seem to find my grids. I have grids for EU and company if anyone wants them.

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I'd take the EU one if its going please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

I'm getting mine rechecked but if I'm unlucky and have to sit it again im going with all the old Acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nekk

Just looking for a bit of advice. Have the magic three (criminal,equity and property) under my belt and will split the next 5 over 2 sittings. Any opinions on which to do next? I'll probably go for 3 in October but unsure of which ones to take.. Thanks in advance

nekk wrote: »
    Just looking for a bit of advice. Have the magic three (criminal,equity and property) under my belt and will split the next 5 over 2 sittings. Any opinions on which to do next? I'll probably go for 3 in October but unsure of which ones to take.. Thanks in advance

Split EU and Constitutional over the two sittings. The rest is up to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fe1fun

Split EU and Constitutional over the two sittings. The rest is up to you!

By the same token maybe do EU in this sitting since it was such a ****fest last time maybe it won't be as bad!

fe1fun wrote: »
    By the same token maybe do EU in this sitting since it was such a ****fest last time maybe it won't be as bad!

I honestly can't wait to see the exam report for that disgraceful exam paper.

No doubt it will be a business-as-usual report remarking on the impressive pass rate, ignoring the horrifying questions, the psychological trauma it inflicted, and the weird pattern (shown here) of people who barely answered three questions somehow (mysteriously) passing with flying colours.

I agree - after the shambolic paper this sitting, Id be inclined to do EU this next sitting!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FEar1

Hi guys! Just about digested that I've somehow got EU out of the way and moving onto the next four. I've Tort, Constitutional, Company and Criminal left to do. I'm mainly worried by Tort and Constitutional but talk of the new Acts had me shook over Company too!

So, general consensus is the old Acts for the next sittings of Company?

Also, what are the main things to have in order for Tort? I know this is a very broad question but even a few main topics to get me started would be greatly appreciated! I'd ask the same question about Constitutional but I'm fairly sure I know the answer I'd get! haha

FEar1 wrote: »
    Hi guys! Just about digested that I've somehow got EU out of the way and moving onto the next four. I've Tort, Constitutional, Company and Criminal left to do. I'm mainly worried by Tort and Constitutional but talk of the new Acts had me shook over Company too!

So, general consensus is the old Acts for the next sittings of Company?

Also, what are the main things to have in order for Tort? I know this is a very broad question but even a few main topics to get me started would be greatly appreciated! I'd ask the same question about Constitutional but I'm fairly sure I know the answer I'd get! haha

Yes, old Acts for Company!

I'm not being funny, but there's not much to leave out for Tort. That last paper threw quite a few people by throwing up an odd question on Ryland's And a question of liability for fire (still pissed about that!).

Look, there's over four months to go. A few hours a day even five or six days a week will add up. Try to get as much as possible done before September and then reevaluate based on what's left before the final month's push. That's my plan anyway. I got such a sense they were trying to go against manuals and predictions, etc in a lot of the exams in the last sitting, so base it off the official syllabus and maybe supplement big topics (like judicial review in Constitutional) with up to date text books and/or articles.

That's my plan anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dandadub

Is anyone bothering with a recheck for Constitutional Law? I got 43 in it last time, got a recheck and it came back 43. This year i got 42. I wasnt going to bother with a recheck after last time but this is my magic number 8. Decisions

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement