Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Unleashed

Howdy. Passed my first two (Tort and Property), happy enough with that as I dont have a Law degree and now I know they aren't beyond me... I failed everything in my first sitting :(

Failed Equity and Contract (30 and 35) so am wondering if anyone has an examiners report for April 2015 sitting, or is it even out yet?

Also if anyone has any advice on Contract in particular I would be so grateful, it doesn't seem that difficult to me yet I failed it by a good bit. Maybe I just didn't know my cases well enough, I find them incredibly difficult to remember by name.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭vickyplumx

Unleashed wrote: »
    Howdy. Passed my first two (Tort and Property), happy enough with that as I dont have a Law degree and now I know they aren't beyond me... I failed everything in my first sitting :(

Failed Equity and Contract (30 and 35) so am wondering if anyone has an examiners report for April 2015 sitting, or is it even out yet?

Also if anyone has any advice on Contract in particular I would be so grateful, it doesn't seem that difficult to me yet I failed it by a good bit. Maybe I just didn't know my cases well enough, I find them incredibly difficult to remember by name.

Thanks.

I failed contract first time round and like you was so cross with myself as I considered it easy. The case names are key I think as there are so many . If you can get your hands on sample answers it's handy just to see what the questions are asking coz I used to find the exam qs very samey. I think a good offer acceptance and a good consumer protection will really settle the nerves so know these inside out. Then have a few nice topics like mistake, misrep and undue influence that you know really really well and you're nearly there. Hope that helps. I can't find the email with the sample answers but I'll check in work later in the week. I got 27 on first sitting contract and got 59 last time so you can definitely do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 RCFE15

Hi guys,

A quick question for all the people who past the exams in March especially anyone who past on 2nd or 3rd attempt: Had you taken on a prep course with the colleges? I'm really stuck at the moment on whether to do a prep course in June for the October sittings or not, it's so expensive which is making it more difficult to decide, I really want to get the magic 3 and money shouldn't be the major issue but it is an issue!!!! thanks

Any info would be helpful..thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 RCFE15

RCFE15 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

A quick question for all the people who past the exams in March especially anyone who past on 2nd or 3rd attempt: Had you taken on a prep course with the colleges? I'm really stuck at the moment on whether to do a prep course in June for the October sittings or not, it's so expensive which is making it more difficult to decide, I really want to get the magic 3 and money shouldn't be the major issue but it is an issue!!!! thanks

Any info would be helpful..thanks!!

Someone was good enough to reply to my query but I am unable to message them back!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭vickyplumx

Might be an obvious one but my eu treaties are the Blackstone 2011-2012 treaties. Useless? Has there been a lot of changes? Snapping to have to buy a new one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 GG92

Hi everyone , im sure plenty of these questions have been asked before but with 331 pages to get through I'm gonna try shortcut it :P

Im a recent business with law graduate and have just completed a jobbridge in a legal office.
    I've decided to do a Griffith prep course in November and do my first sittings of FE1's in Spring 2016.
    During my course I have only studied Company, Contract and Tort, though even still my memory for these topics wouldn't be a huge advantage.

Has anyone any advice as to what would be the best way for me to approach these exams? Understandably im nervous about passing them, particularly judging from some of the posts here. I also feel like im lacking a huge amount of knowledge already with not having covered 5/8 exam topics before especially Constitutional and EU!!

Would I be crazy to attempt 4 exams in Spring next year, one of which being one of the dreaded duo??
    Or should I do as my old boss suggested and just get the "easy" ones out of the way first.
    I know im planning well in advance but im trying to prepare myself for the tough time to come.

Any advice/exam tips/exam info/material would be very very much appreciated.

G

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Unleashed

vickyplumx wrote: »
    I failed contract first time round and like you was so cross with myself as I considered it easy. The case names are key I think as there are so many . If you can get your hands on sample answers it's handy just to see what the questions are asking coz I used to find the exam qs very samey. I think a good offer acceptance and a good consumer protection will really settle the nerves so know these inside out. Then have a few nice topics like mistake, misrep and undue influence that you know really really well and you're nearly there. Hope that helps. I can't find the email with the sample answers but I'll check in work later in the week. I got 27 on first sitting contract and got 59 last time so you can definitely do it!

Thanks for the advice! Im flicking back through my notes for contract and can now acknowledge they're absolutely not up to scratch, they are more concept notes than essay notes. What WAS i thinking?! But most importantly - Case names case names case names, I need to figure out some way to become their friend!! If you did have some notes that would be greatly appreciated, but don't go to any bother trying to resurrect them if you're busy! Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Troels Hartmann

vickyplumx wrote: »
    Might be an obvious one but my eu treaties are the Blackstone 2011-2012 treaties. Useless? Has there been a lot of changes? Snapping to have to buy a new one

I very much doubt it. But Id be happy to take a photo of the "contents" pages in my 2014 edition so you can compare?

The most up to date version is only about €15 on Amazon in any event

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ellie88

Hey - to anyone who has messaged me I have responded. Sorry for the late reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Hi all.

Maybe I'm imagining it but I'm pretty sure I saw post during the exams from someone who said they signed up for one of the exams during the the actual exam week. Is this possible? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 colgar

ellie88 wrote: »
    Hey - to anyone who has messaged me I have responded. Sorry for the late reply.

Thank you Ellie, that is going to be a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Laura Steph

Hi guys, quick question.
    (PLEASE don't remove me admin, I'm not posting an advert, just any enquiry :) )

Is there a thread at all anymore for advertising the sale of FE1 materials?? Or has that forum been completely removed?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. :)

RCFE15 wrote: »
    Someone was good enough to reply to my query but I am unable to message them back!!!!

I'd highly recommend doing a course. I past my first four, first time around, this March. I availed of Independent College's online course. Fantastic experience overall.

I am aware of people selling the materials on other sites, such as adverts.ie if you wanted to avoid the huge cost usually associated with such courses either, if that is of any help.

Good luck with them, they're really not the worst once you understand how to approach them. :)

GG92 wrote: »
    Hi everyone , im sure plenty of these questions have been asked before but with 331 pages to get through I'm gonna try shortcut it :P

Im a recent business with law graduate and have just completed a jobbridge in a legal office.
    I've decided to do a Griffith prep course in November and do my first sittings of FE1's in Spring 2016.
    During my course I have only studied Company, Contract and Tort, though even still my memory for these topics wouldn't be a huge advantage.

Has anyone any advice as to what would be the best way for me to approach these exams? Understandably im nervous about passing them, particularly judging from some of the posts here. I also feel like im lacking a huge amount of knowledge already with not having covered 5/8 exam topics before especially Constitutional and EU!!

Would I be crazy to attempt 4 exams in Spring next year, one of which being one of the dreaded duo??
    Or should I do as my old boss suggested and just get the "easy" ones out of the way first.
    I know im planning well in advance but im trying to prepare myself for the tough time to come.

Any advice/exam tips/exam info/material would be very very much appreciated.

G

Hello!

I studied for a BBL degree too, so I may be able to give you some advice.

I sat my first set this March and passed all four (company, tort, contract and criminal), after taking a prep course. I hadn't studied these since 1st and 2nd year (2008-2010). However, its amazing how most of the basics coming flying back once you revisit it.

I would say the (online) prep course was of massive help for my prep and ultimate passing. Now I intend to sit three in the next round, as I've been advised both EU and Constitutional are very broad. So ultimately, I hope to pass all 8 in three sittings.

However, if you'd prefer to get all 8 out of the way in two sittings, I'd say take EU in one and Constitutional in the other. Tort and Contract are great ones to start with and apparently there is alot of overlap between Contract and Equity and Property and Equity. Ultimately, its up to you but I think its best to start off with 3-4 you're comfortable with.

I approached it by simply making notes during the online lectures, practicing exam qs and regularly submitting them. The key to passing is constantly taking in the feedback and following the ISAC approach, as well as study. Grids are of big help but don't bank 100% on 'likely topics' (rylands v fletcher and accidental fire came up this year in Tort...)

The best of luck with it all! Hope this helps you in some way. :)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Hi guys, quick question.
    (PLEASE don't remove me admin, I'm not posting an advert, just any enquiry :) )

Is there a thread at all anymore for advertising the sale of FE1 materials?? Or has that forum been completely removed?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. :)

You can use any number of for sale sites but the one we suggest is adverts.ie because it's an offshoot of this site and that's where all for sale stuff generally goes from here.

You can use any number of for sale sites but the one we suggest is adverts.ie because it's an offshoot of this site and that's where all for sale stuff generally goes from here.

Thanks for that!

Hi All - I should have replied to anyone who contacted me. Good luck with the exams and holla if I can be of any more assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LawTalkingGuy

Anyone else get constitutional re-checked? Have this feeling that of all of the exams it's the least likely to change on re-check (i got 45)..

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Marie92

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of doing a prep course for some of the FE1 subjects. I know I could buy the handbooks online but I think I need a bit of structure to my study!

Is there any particular college people would recommend? I'm definitely going to take Equity, not sure after that.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

wrote:
    The Solicitors Acts 1954 – 2011 (Apprenticeship and Education) (Amendment) Regulations 2014
    come into operation on 1 January 2015.
    These amending regulations reduce from four to three the number of subjects to be taken by a
    candidate sitting the FE1 for the first time*.
    A candidate sitting the FE-1 for the first time in Spring 2015 must sit a minimum of three subjects
    and must pass those three subjects in order to carry any passes forward to a subsequent attempt.
    A candidate must pass all eight subjects within five years of 31 December of the year in which the
    candidate first passed three subjects.
    *First time means the first attempt at the FE-1 and includes any subsequent attempt when the
    candidate still has to pass all eight subjects.

Why did they change the rules?

It's a question now of what are the easiest three to pass!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

William F wrote: »
    Why did they change the rules?

It's a question now of what are the easiest three to pass!!

But it was always a question of what are the easiest three to pass.

When I was doing these exams I knew loads of people who would pay to do the mandatory four, pick the three easiest and study for them, then just do a ghost fourth.

chops018 wrote: »
    But it was always a question of what are the easiest three to pass.

When I was doing these exams I knew loads of people who would pay to do the mandatory four, pick the three easiest and study for them, then just do a ghost fourth.

True. I suppose it was just a silly rule then.

In terms of timing, what is an ideal amount of time to spend on each module?

The NY Bar says 600 hours is an adequate amount of time to prepare but obviously has different requirements.

Is between 150-200 hours enough time to spend on each?

The change from sitting 4 to sitting 3 is welcome in one sense, because it was a farce since most people just turned up and signed their name for the 4th.

You'd have thought that they'd reduce to 2 the number of passes needed.

On the whole though the "pass 3" rule, though unpleasant and causing much heartache, is probably a good thing because it really helps to focus the mind

I've come to the conclusion that it's a matter of just going at your own pace, keeping a record of time spent on each topic and sitting the exams. Adjust time spent on each module according to the results. Within that method lies the formula. Now to put thought into practice!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭clocks

Yes, old Acts for Company!

Hello,

Does anyone have an official source to confirm that Autumn 2015 will be the last session with the old Company law acts? The 2014 Act comes into force on 1st June 2015.

Secondly, how will all this affect the FE1 candidate ? Is it better to stick with the known quantity of the old syllabus or will a consolidated piece of legislation help the student?

clocks wrote: »
    Hello,

Does anyone have an official source to confirm that Autumn 2015 will be the last session with the old Company law acts? The 2014 Act comes into force on 1st June 2015.

Secondly, how will all this affect the FE1 candidate ? Is it better to stick with the known quantity of the old syllabus or will a consolidated piece of legislation help the student?

The Syllabus for the March sittings (which I believe is the same for September as well ie it's the syllabus for the 2014 sittings) clearly said that either the old acts or the 2014 Acts could be used for both sittings.

So it's 2014 Act from then onwards.

You'll find that the syllabus itself will be exactly the same. All company case law will remain intact, and all of the main concepts will be untouched - but will have different legislative groundings. The one exception is the concept of ultra vires which gets filleted by the 2014 Act (it was never a particularly huge topic in the exams anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭clocks

The Syllabus for the March sittings (which I believe is the same for September as well ie it's the syllabus for the 2014 sittings) clearly said that either the old acts or the 2014 Acts could be used for both sittings.

So it's 2014 Act from then onwards.

You'll find that the syllabus itself will be exactly the same. All company case law will remain intact, and all of the main concepts will be untouched - but will have different legislative groundings. The one exception is the concept of ultra vires which gets filleted by the 2014 Act (it was never a particularly huge topic in the exams anyway)

Thanks for that, Troels. From the Syllabus :
    "Candidates presenting at the April and October 2015 sittings of the
    FE1 Company Law examination may elect to base their answers on
    either the law contained in the Companies Acts 1963 to 2013 or the
    law contained in the Companies Act 2014."

Since I don't know either at present I might as well get stuck into the new Act. I studied French law for two years so it's a bit like delving into Eire's own Commercial Code.

Any chance of an essay type question on the change ?

clocks wrote: »
    Any chance of an essay type question on the change ?

He used to ask an essay question on the reasons why company law reform and consolidation was needed - but it hasn't appeared in about 5 or 6 sittings I think. It would seem to be irrelevant to be asking the qurstion now with the 2014 act in force.

Hard to think of any Essay other than that which could be asked

• Advertisement

Hi All,

I just found out that my first seat (going in before Blackhall) is in Funds. Does anyone have any experience in this area/care to share any insights? Its not something I have much experience in so looking for any/all advice before getting started in the near future.

Best
    E

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement