Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Kcookies2015

Hey Tommy
    Having done property,company & equity for the past year I'm very familiar with those cases but the others I'll tend to write and re write the case names and short hand version of facts and keep looking them over at least once a day. I also find recording info on my phone a good method of learning i listen to it in the car or at night. That def helped me through a lot of college exams.

Kelli

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Just a quick question, I hope not too off topic. Is it legal to sell/buy A) second hand manuals from City, Independent ect and B) notes and sample answers from such colleges? I am a bit confused by the small print so just wondering.

Strictly speaking, I'd imagine there's a standard copyright clause that says you can't but in reality, all books contain these clauses and there are plenty of second-hand bookshops operating openly without any censure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kd2121

Hi, I'm doing the next four of my fe1s over two sittings. I hope to do 3 in October and 1 in March/April (aswell as anything I fail in October). The exams I have left are property, company, eu and constitutional. I want to do company and property together with either constitutional or eu in October. Which would be the better one to pick from? Which would be easier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

Hi, I had planned on doing Tort and EU after passing 5 in March. Problem is I haven't started studying yet I mean ive done nothing, is it possible to do two in such little time. I'm thinking I might just do EU....help

• Registered Users Posts: 14 amyeee

The City manual for property is driving me crazy with how badly written it is. Butchering the facts of cases, not to mention all the typos and errors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Mod:

Troels Hartmann banned from the Legal Discussion forum for six months, for ignoring moderator instructions not to post on this thread again.

Registering new accounts to circumvent moderator actions is not allowed.

King Ian banned permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Billetdoux

I'm sure this question has been asked many a time but...

Is it worth complaining to the Law Society as a collective about the differing quality of examiner reports? I'm here flicking through the 2015 ones, and it is bothering me massively. Shane Kilcommins' report is longer than all the other reports combined. I know they're not supposed to be an exhaustive account of what the examiner was looking for in each question, but having reports that are riddled with spelling and grammar mistakes is just annoying!

The fact that an exam as massive as Constitutional warrants a single page report is just ridiculous. Surely there should be some quality control in place, especially if I have to pay for the privilege of reading the reports?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

I was just wondering, not having attended one of the FE 1 courses offered by Griffith, Independent etc. -

What is the advice regarding marking and reference to specific paragraph numbers in legislation.

For example, these two statements below:-

i) Section 2(1) of the Criminal Law (Rape)(Amendment) Act 1990 renamed the common-law offence of indecent assault as sexual assault.
    ii) The Criminal Law (Rape)(Amendment) Act 1990 renamed the common-law offence of indecent assault as sexual assault.

Does statement (i) attract higher marks than statement (ii) according to those at FE 1 revision courses? Or was there any advice in that regard? At third level, doing my BCL it was sufficient to know what the acts stated and appreciate their application (with occasional and specific exceptions).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

I was just wondering, not having attended one of the FE 1 courses offered by Griffith, Independent etc. -

What is the advice regarding marking and reference to specific paragraph numbers in legislation.

For example, these two statements below:-

i) Section 2(1) of the Criminal Law (Rape)(Amendment) Act 1990 renamed the common-law offence of indecent assault as sexual assault.
    ii) The Criminal Law (Rape)(Amendment) Act 1990 renamed the common-law offence of indecent assault as sexual assault.

Does statement (i) attract higher marks than statement (ii) according to those at FE 1 revision courses? Or was there any advice in that regard? At third level, doing my BCL it was sufficient to know what the acts stated and appreciate their application (with occasional and specific exceptions).

The first one is obviously a tiny bit better because you are able to correctly cite the section and sub-section absolutely bang-on.

I'm just about to prepare my case note question, as my "just in case" and thought it might be useful to have the most popular case names here. From a quick glance over the papers, these are the ones that seem to appear most frequently.

Feel free to add to the list (I realise the citations aren't correct, I just want them for reference):

Van Gend en Loos - Case 26/62, [1963] ECR 1
    Microsoft v Commission - Case, T-201/04 [2007] ECR 1-9925
    Kobler - Case C-224/01, [2003] ECR 1-10239
    Marshall v Southampton Area Health Authority - Case 152/84, [1986] ECR 723
    Commission v Council ("ERTA") - Case 22/70, [1971] ECR 263

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 nelly135

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question relating to the FE1's in October 2015. I attempted the FE1's back in 2010 and only managed to pass 2 out of 3. Although I didn't get the pass in the third, I found this thread to be extremely helpful. I have since done 3 out of 4 years in a law degree and am attempting the FE1's again in Sept/Oct. I am doing Property, Criminal & Contract.

My question relates to changes in the Law in those subjects between now and when I last did them in 2010. Will I need fully updated manuals and textbooks or will my old ones be alright? Or will I get away with just updating one or the other. I do not have the cash to do a course or go out and buy a load of updated books.

I appreciate any help you guys can give me!

Hi Nelly -

I am in something of a similar position myself as regards having some out of date materials. I definitely know that as regards Property, the Civil Partnership and Certain Rights and Obligations of Cohabitants Act 2010 came into force since you did the FE 1's the last time and this had an influence in terms of property.

I would say you would need to definitely look at that anyway. Actually, whilst we are on the subject, I wonder how the marriage equality referendum result impacts on all of that...

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Hi, could anybody tell me where is the best place to buy second hand material for these exams?

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    Hi, could anybody tell me where is the best place to buy second hand material for these exams?

You can get good notes, exam papers, reports and the likes, and second hand manuals on Adverts! Just search "fe1 notes" or something along those lines.

Only two months to go until exam time. I have started studying, although I am not exactly setting the world alight with my dedication - I've been averaging 3-5 hours per day for the last week and a half, so that will need to pick up. I have done a BCL before so hopefully that will stand to me. I only graduated a year ago, so I remember everything as I read it, but I am still note taking and have probably only covered about a quarter of each of the four subject that I am taking. I haven't started to commit anything to memory yet.

Is anyone else in roughly the same position in terms of their study? Does anyone for example have an idea in their heads for how much time they are going to allocate to committing things to memory by just by writing and rewriting them out etc?

Also, are there many people who havn't started studying yet?

Only two months to go until exam time. I have started studying, although I am not exactly setting the world alight with my dedication - I've been averaging 3-5 hours per day for the last week and a half, so that will need to pick up. I have done a BCL before so hopefully that will stand to me. I only graduated a year ago, so I remember everything as I read it, but I am still note taking and have probably only covered about a quarter of each of the four subject that I am taking. I haven't started to commit anything to memory yet.

Is anyone else in roughly the same position in terms of their study? Does anyone for example have an idea in their heads for how much time they are going to allocate to committing things to memory by just by writing and rewriting them out etc?

Also, are there many people who havn't started studying yet?

I'm the same, my world is far from alight with any dedication to study! I'm really going to have to knuckle down this week and stop getting distracted. I would suggest using the "memory palace" technique for learning off things. Joshua Foer does an excellent TED Talk on it that you can easily find if you Google!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 stilk08

Hey, does anyone know whether we should account for the child and family relationships Act 2015 for land law. As far as I can see it has been passed but has not yet come into force, which I suppose means that the current law stands, though it is difficult to ignore the new Act if its there..

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sdl13

Hi guys, just studying for the exams now. I was wondering does anyone have any past exam answerswers for 204/15 for constitutional that I get a copy of.

It would be greatly appreciated.

Billetdoux wrote: »
    I'm the same, my world is far from alight with any dedication to study! I'm really going to have to knuckle down this week and stop getting distracted. I would suggest using the "memory palace" technique for learning off things. Joshua Foer does an excellent TED Talk on it that you can easily find if you Google!

I am the master of this method of memory technique. The only problem is that I only have around 15 journeys, each of which have between 50 - 80 points on them.

This means that in order to use this method of memory recall for the FE 1's I would have to use the same journeys ten times over, and the overlap becomes very confusing. The reason for this is that the course is so broad. The above method served me well at third level though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hochspitch

Billetdoux wrote: »
    I'm just about to prepare my case note question, as my "just in case" and thought it might be useful to have the most popular case names here. From a quick glance over the papers, these are the ones that seem to appear most frequently.

Feel free to add to the list (I realise the citations aren't correct, I just want them for reference):

Van Gend en Loos - Case 26/62, [1963] ECR 1
    Microsoft v Commission - Case, T-201/04 [2007] ECR 1-9925
    Kobler - Case C-224/01, [2003] ECR 1-10239
    Marshall v Southampton Area Health Authority - Case 152/84, [1986] ECR 723
    Commission v Council ("ERTA") - Case 22/70, [1971] ECR 263

Other cases of note from examining the past papers would be:
    Zambrano [2011]
    UK and Council v Kadi ('Kadi II') [2013]
    Ryanair Holdings v Commission [2010]
    Association belge des Consommateurs Test-Achats and Others v Council [2011]

Also it's always handy to know Pringle v Government of Ireland as this seems to always come in some way, shape or form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 hochspitch

Does anyone know if the newest edition of the Constitution is available to purchase, and if not, when it is likely to be? My edition is a couple years old now and even though I think it's only missing the Court of appeal referendum and the Marriage referendum I'd still like to have an up-to-date one for the exams.

hochspitch wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the newest edition of the Constitution is available to purchase, and if not, when it is likely to be? My edition is a couple years old now and even though I think it's only missing the Court of appeal referendum and the Marriage referendum I'd still like to have an up-to-date one for the exams.

I'm not sure when the new version is available to purchase, and can't find any info on when they're publishing the updated text but this is useful in the meantime

[I can't post links still because this account is new but if you go onto the Taoiseach's website > Click on "Historical Information" > Click on "The Constitution", you'll find the page I'm talking about.]

If you scroll down it tells you what isn't included in the popular text and the current reason why. I wouldn't fret not having the updated Constitution in the exam with you - just be able to show you know the results of the referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bumble6

I have also just started studying for my first FE1s in Autumn, I'm using a combination of college notes (graduated 2015),recent griffith manuals and independent manuals! I'm wondering do I really need to get the books under recommended reading or will the info in the manuals suffice? I'm trying to avoid information overload!

Bumble6 wrote: »
    I have also just started studying for my first FE1s in Autumn, I'm using a combination of college notes (graduated 2015),recent griffith manuals and independent manuals! I'm wondering do I really need to get the books under recommended reading or will the info in the manuals suffice? I'm trying to avoid information overload!

Hi Bumble6, hope you're not too bogged down already!

What I usually find works best is a mixture of manuals, notes and past exam papers with sample answers (Griffith mainly does these as part of preparatory courses) and reading the examiner reports. Look on DoneDeal or adverts.ie, everything is available there without information overload or killing yourself trying to read the books on the recommended reading. I only ever go to the reading list if I'm really unsure about a particular topic and want more background. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, and good luck with the study :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Scarymary13

Hi Guys, I am just starting to do my notes out now as I am working full-time. I'm planning on sitting Tort, Criminal, Contract and Equity for October. Sending my application on Monday. Does anyone ever set up any study groups on this or would anyone be interested in doing so? I would be interested in setting one up at the weekends as I always feel talking through a topic is better than reading and writing and re-writing notes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I'd definitely be up for a study group though I'm rarely free at the weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Scarymary13

Where do you live? I'm currently living in Belfast so could meet half way or do over skype? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Where do you live? I'm currently living in Belfast so could meet half way or do over skype? :)

Have an online study group going, Scarymary. I'd say a few people in it would be very interested in your meet up/Skype idea. Message me for details. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭FE1 EXAMS 2013

Hi, Would anybody know what topics came up for the last company law exam? I'm still waiting on exam papers to be delivered. Also could anybody recommend the NB topics for company, only have time to cover 6-8 topics! Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 backformore

Hi all,

Would be interested to hear from anyone who has sat the Equity exam in recent times. What has been the perception of the exam of late (fair or tricky) and has there been any change in the examiner? Also, what topics have come up lately? I will be sitting this Fe-1 in October so would be grateful for people's thoughts!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement