Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

This studying business is hell on my back. I'm going to be like an old woman by October!!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Chuckler

Ok folks - lets get some perspective here....First exam is 36 days away. For those of you working full time, that may as well be 10 full study days away if like me you have to work right up to the first exam. Time to seriously knuckle down now - you don't want to fall at the last hurdle - you're nearly there! You've done the work for the past few months...tipping away at it, answered a few exam questions and have a general idea of every topic - NOW IS THE TIME TO START COMMITTING TO MEMORY! I like to think of the FE-1's as an All Ireland Final. You've been mentally preparing all summer, you've given up your social life, you made the commitment to yourself back in June/July that you'd do this. There is no turning back now - time to drive it on! If anybody is tired now - take one night off and reflect on all the work you have done to this stage, why throw it all away? 36 days people - time to start upping gears now. Know your notes, know your cases, know that this is the time to re-energize and stay focused. 36 days - don't get nervous - get angry - get ready, get energetic about it. Time to start testing yourself! 36 days, it will go by in a flash but its the most important time before the exams. Keep grinding!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 maya_bb

Anyone starting in Blackhall in September looking for a room? I'll be starting in Blackhall and I'm looking for a housemate for a lovely double bedroom in a two-bed mews in central Ranelagh (near Lidl) with a little front garden/patio. The bedrooms are spacious but the rest of the mews is small so I'm looking for a very tidy, clean and considerate housemate. PM me if interested!

Best of luck with the exams everyone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Nice encouraging posts there - I am struggling to get past 3 or 4 hours study a day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Billetdoux

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Injunctions question in Equity this time round?

I know she focused on Mareva specifically at the last sitting... Perhaps Anton Piller for this sitting? I know I should know both etc but time is now limited and I have to start committing to memory!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Billetdoux

Tired_Man wrote: »
    Hi there,

I was just wondering if anybody had a list of the topics which came up on the Equity paper in March?

It's my last exam now. In a fit of what I now realise to be arrogance coupled with relief I ripped up the paper and threw it in the bin afterwards and got 47! It seems pretty funny now. Just for anyone doing their first set or lacking motivation for repeats (I have been there) a really important part of passing them especially in the final month leading up to them is to just keep grinding away for as many hours as possible and it'll be fine.

Q1 - Propriety Estoppel
    Q2 - Equitable Tracing
    Q3 - Half secret trusts
    Q4 - Specific performance for personal services
    Q5 - Donatio Mortis Causa
    Q6 - Mareva
    Q7 - Answer 2 of 3
    (a) exceptional categories in which non-charitable purpose trusts are enforced
    (b) Position of gifts for relief of poverty under common law and under Charities Act 2009
    (c) Doctrine of satisfaction
    Q8 - Presumed resulting trusts / presumption of advancement

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Tired_Man

Billetdoux wrote: »
    Does anyone have any thoughts on the Injunctions question in Equity this time round?

I know she focused on Mareva specifically at the last sitting... Perhaps Anton Piller for this sitting? I know I should know both etc but time is now limited and I have to start committing to memory!

All the grind schools have been saying APO's are due a run for ages but they haven't come up since 2009. With injunctions I'm learning everything but given that Mareva came up last time I wouldn't be surprised to see an essay on mandatory interlocutory injunctions or PQ on interlocutory/quia timet injunctions. Another possibility from way back is an essay on the departure from the American Cyanamid/Campus oil principles but it's all just guess work really, probably best to cover the whole topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kd2121

Anyone have a list of topics their covering for EU??

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭FE1 EXAMS 2013

kd2121 wrote: »
    Anyone have a list of topics their covering for EU??

Still writing up topics but so far I have, institutions, competition law, freedoms, direct effect and supremacy, Ms liability, judicial review. Dunno what else thats going to be short and quick I can stick in, any ideas? What are you covering?

Ive only just started, hope I have enough time to get through everything. Thinking of Institutions, Sources, Fundemental Rights, Direct Effect and Supremacy, Judicial Review, Preliminary Reference Procedure, FMG, Citizenship and Competition.
    Don't know if I'll get through all that at this stage

• Advertisement

kd2121 wrote: »
    Ive only just started, hope I have enough time to get through everything. Thinking of Institutions, Sources, Fundemental Rights, Direct Effect and Supremacy, Judicial Review, Preliminary Reference Procedure, FMG, Citizenship and Competition.
    Don't know if I'll get through all that at this stage

I know I'm the same, it's taking me so long to write up topics, I need to leave enough time to actually learn the notes off! Think I'll try and stick in citizenship and fundamental rights as well if I get time! Hope I'm not leaving myself short

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

This is slightly off topic but does anyone else get annoyed studying EU law? I know I should probably switch off my analytical side of the brain and just cram it all in, but looking at the ECJ case law just gets me thinking. Most decisions seem to go in favour of the EU. Legal doctrines and remedies (direct effect being a prime example) seem to be created from thin air. Then compare the threshold to get interim relief when challenging an EU measure (Martini case) with challenging a national measure for compliance with EU law (Factorame No 2). Sometime it just seems the law is whatever suits the EU.

What are you using for your notes? I'm just using Independent College manuals. Don't really know what I should be using to study going by the last sitting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

This is slightly off topic but does anyone else get annoyed studying EU law? I know I should probably switch off my analytical side of the brain and just cram it all in, but looking at the ECJ case law just gets me thinking. Most decisions seem to go in favour of the EU. Legal doctrines and remedies (direct effect being a prime example) seem to be created from thin air. Then compare the threshold to get interim relief when challenging an EU measure (Martini case) with challenging a national measure for compliance with EU law (Factorame No 2). Sometime it just seems the law is whatever suits the EU.

I did a thesis on the Margin of Appreciation doctrine used by the European Court of Human Rights for my LLM.

My main arguments were that initially it seemed like a useful tool for the Court to use but has since been abused and thrown in for loads of cases where it's not needed and is basically a curtain the ECtHR's will hide behind when they don't want to decide on certain issues or apply articles of the ECHR to certain Member States. Instead they use the Margin of Appreciation doctrine, and the subsidiarity doctrine, to say that the MS knows what's best for itself and that the Court should recognise their cultural differences of these MS than that of Western European MS and instead of putting a blanket law on them we should instead ease them in.

All well and good on paper and for the case it originated from but when you see it in practice and how much it's thrown around it just gets ridiculous - so I am agreeing with you that when you get into detail and the knitty gritty you really could rip some parts of EU law to shreds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 igobuy

Can some kind soul please put up the question topics for CONTRACT and CRIMINAL from the last sitting. Please and thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 igobuy

Can some kind soul please put up questions for CONTRACT and CRIMINAL from the last sitting. Please and thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Legalseagull

Hi folks - quick question about Company Law (apologies if its already been dealt with).

Are people striking out Ultra Vires as a topic? It's essentially void now under CA 2014, unless it were to come up in a DAC question. I don't think he could ask a DAC question though, as that's specific to 2014 and you don't have to have covered 2014...thoughts?

Also, the permitted sources don't seem to allow you to bring in the 2014 Act - bit annoying!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Hi folks - quick question about Company Law (apologies if its already been dealt with).

Are people striking out Ultra Vires as a topic? It's essentially void now under CA 2014, unless it were to come up in a DAC question. I don't think he could ask a DAC question though, as that's specific to 2014 and you don't have to have covered 2014...thoughts?

Also, the permitted sources don't seem to allow you to bring in the 2014 Act - bit annoying!

Thanks!

Yeah I'm leaving it out. I'm answering with the old Act though. Might skim it- general principles and that in case there is a bit of curve to a question on it but won't be going in to any major details :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Didi2013

On another topic what to cover in Constitutional law!! Ah, its overwhelming - I was thinking a question on Marriage is due considering the change in Art 41 and all. Do ye know is the FE1 examiner still give that talk on the 10 most important cases for this year - seen a post a few years back that said he did! Lost in this FE1 and guidelines would be profoundly welcomed.

Would anybody know what art came up in March 15 for free movement of goods? I think it is art 34 but I can't tell even with the book in front of me! Can anybody shed some light on this please!? Thinking of scrapping art 34 if it was asked and focusing on art 110 and 30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 larryloffy

Would anyone have EU sample answers they wouldn't mind sending me?? I'm struggling. Looked up the one day revision course and it's 150 euro for the day!

I have loads of Equity notes/lectures I can share. Also, where could I get my hands on the EU articles/legislation to bring into the exam? Thanks, Laura

larryloffy wrote: »
    Would anyone have EU sample answers they wouldn't mind sending me?? I'm struggling. Looked up the one day revision course and it's 150 euro for the day!

I have loads of Equity notes/lectures I can share. Also, where could I get my hands on the EU articles/legislation to bring into the exam? Thanks, Laura

Hey if you send me your email in private mail I can send you on what I have regarding EU. Have samples up to 2012 but looking for ones from 12 to 15 if anybody has any they would like to share. I have material for all other topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

larryloffy wrote: »

Book shop. Blackstones is your best bet, it's easiest to navigate. You might get a second hand one online from Adverts or Done Deal or somewhere from someone who sat it this year or last.

Advise to everyone doing exams (especially first timers): get your legislation asap. You want/need to have time to go through it and know where things are. You do not want to be looking at it for the first time in the exam- you'll spend more time searching through it for what you need than actually answering questions! You can highlight and tab it to your heart's content, just don't write on it! OPW sell all the acts needed. They're pretty quick at getting them out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Simplyliving04

Would anybody know what art came up in March 15 for free movement of goods? I think it is art 34 but I can't tell even with the book in front of me! Can anybody shed some light on this please!? Thinking of scrapping art 34 if it was asked and focusing on art 110 and 30

I'm fairly sure Article 34 is only relevant for Q5 part (i) in the March 15 paper - the requirement for a specific bread baking licence being a restriction to trade equivalent to a quantitative restriction

• Registered Users Posts: 13 beerose

Hope the study is going well for everyone. Would anyone have Constitutuonal or Tort notes that they would be willing to swap for Criminal, Contract, Company (all used and passed Sep 14) and Property (passed March 15) ?

Or any tips/exam grid info on Constitutional would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lovelylaw

Hi,

Im sitting FE1s EU law in October 2015.
    For the case note question i have sample answers from Griffith notes for alot of the cases for the case note question. But alot of newer cases have been on the paper over the last few sitiings.
    would a swap/payment be possible for cases?

Does ayone have sample answers for the following case notes:

- Pringle v Government Of Ireland, Ireland and The Attorney General 2012
    - Joined Cases P and Commission, UK and Council v Kadi (Kadi II) 2013
    - McDonagh v Ryanair 2013
    - Google Spain SL & Google Inc v Agencia Espanola de Proteccion de Datos (AEPD) &Mario Costeja Gonzalez (2014)
    - Joined cases Digital Rights Ireland v Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources & Ors and Kamtner Landesregierung 2014
    - Ryanair Holdings v Commission 2010
    - Spain & Italy v Council 2013
    - Dano & Dano v Jobcenre Leipzig 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭kiwi33

OK reassurace needed badly here! I'm up to date on all my griffith college lectures now on contract, property and equity.. only really getting down to the nitty gritty now... Do I have enough time.. First time doing them and lacking in experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Tired_Man

kiwi33 wrote: »
    OK reassurace needed badly here! I'm up to date on all my griffith college lectures now on contract, property and equity.. only really getting down to the nitty gritty now... Do I have enough time.. First time doing them and lacking in experience!

I would say for those three subjects you definitely have enough time to actually learn everything necessary to pass five questions from now until the exams, provided you're actually learning as opposed to watching lectures and writing notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭kiwi33

Tired_Man wrote: »
    I would say for those three subjects you definitely have enough time to actually learn everything necessary to pass five questions from now until the exams, provided you're actually learning as opposed to watching lectures and writing notes.

Yeah im basically going over exam questions and have notes done on most topics.. seeing a few things that come up in exams that im doing notes for but hopefully all goes well! I'm finding it all very nerve wrecking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 stilk08

Can anyone post what came up on the last equity sitting? Trying to narrow it down a little and its pretty difficult!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement