Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

stilk08 wrote: »
    Can anyone post what came up on the last equity sitting? Trying to narrow it down a little and its pretty difficult!

See Post no. 5168

• Registered Users Posts: 10 stilk08

See Post no. 5168

thanks a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

I noticed that the Companies Acts are nearly a 100 quid a copy. Surely people are not splashing out that much for one exam? Any alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

I noticed that the Companies Acts are nearly a 100 quid a copy. Surely people are not splashing out that much for one exam? Any alternatives?

Find a second hand copy or do without.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Galw2014

I would be so grateful if anyone could give me some guidance/tips for Constitutional? Or maybe share what they are covering? My exam grid only goes as far as March 13 and I'm finding it so difficult to figure out what to focus on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 beerose

Galw2014 wrote: »
    I would be so grateful if anyone could give me some guidance/tips for Constitutional? Or maybe share what they are covering? My exam grid only goes as far as March 13 and I'm finding it so difficult to figure out what to focus on.

I posted a similar request a few days ago. I did some searching through older posts and found a few tips that I am going to go by myself.

Separation of Powers and Art38.1 are vital. After that Iv decided to focus on Property Rights, Constitutional Interpretation, Judicial Review, Personal Rights, Property Rights and after that touch on Family&Education & Equality.

I'm pretty much in the same boat with regards to going in a little blind (or so I feel).

Hope this helps! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 effinnblindin

I'm still making out notes for criminal law but am overwhelmed by the amount of cases. What depth of knowledge is necessary? If I cover all the cases in the manual I have I'll have 100s of cases and that's not exactly ideal. How do I know what can be left out?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 backformore

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the relevant sections of the Charities Act 2009 have been borught into force? Studying Charitable Trusts and working from an old manual. Thanks :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the relevant sections of the Charities Act 2009 have been borught into force? Studying Charitable Trusts and working from an old manual. Thanks :)

Yup, they all were last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Using the Griffith College manuals for Criminal.

It lists the important cases at the end of each chapter. I was a tad surprised that none of the cases mentioned at the end of the chapter on mens rea were in any way related to recklessness. No mention of R v Cunningham, R v Caldwell or R v G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 effinnblindin

Recklessness can come up as a stand alone essay question. Would I get by if I only learned the cases on the city colleges night before notes for criminal? I really need to cut down on what I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

What topics would be recommended for Tort? I am thinking of doing Passing Off, is it a waste of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 amyeee

I know it has been mentioned in this thread that Ultra Vires might get a last run out in Company, but I'm trying to figure out if it could even be asked given the fact you couldn't say a whole lot about it if you were doing the new act (I'm doing the old one) - Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭scrummonkey

doing all eight fe1s in one sitting next spring , well thats the plan, just looking for real life stories of people who did same and any info that may help me. Most people are advising against it but i am determined to proceed. Surely it s not that remarkable or foolhardy ? I mean I have 7 months of study to pass them all . I have a bcl btw. What do you folks think ? ( i suppose all the negativity i am getting is making me doubt myself really ). Also, i do not have a tc in place but having all fe1s should help, yes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭neesie_85

Does anyone know of any recent EU cases that are of any importance in relation to the exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Billetdoux

doing all eight fe1s in one sitting next spring , well thats the plan, just looking for real life stories of people who did same and any info that may help me. Most people are advising against it but i am determined to proceed. Surely it s not that remarkable or foolhardy ? I mean I have 7 months of study to pass them all . I have a bcl btw. What do you folks think ? ( i suppose all the negativity i am getting is making me doubt myself really ). Also, i do not have a tc in place but having all fe1s should help, yes ?

Don't ever doubt yourself! If you believe you can do it, then there's no stopping you as long as you're motivated and dedicated. I got my training contract ever before being close to having any of the FE1s done - don't let not having the exams stop you from applying!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭makemecrazy

Hey can anyone advise me on the equitable doctrine of tracing? how long should the note be? the cases i have so far are Foskett v McKeown, Roscoe and Oatway and Re Hallett, should I have any others? I find this topic so confusing and the examiner reports are no help!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

amyeee wrote: »
    I know it has been mentioned in this thread that Ultra Vires might get a last run out in Company, but I'm trying to figure out if it could even be asked given the fact you couldn't say a whole lot about it if you were doing the new act (I'm doing the old one) - Anyone any ideas?

That's what I was thinking too, to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭vickyplumx

Not sure if this is allowed but if anybody is looking for accommodation in the Ibis on the 1st of October I booked a non refundable room in error! Actually needed to book the 31st! Muppet! So it's €58

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭kiwi33

what topics are people covering for contract I have

1.Offer and acceptance
    2.Consideration - particularly re promissory estoppel
    3.Intention to create legal relations
    4. Capacity
    5. Privity
    6.Terms of contract
    7. misrep
    8.mistake
    9. exclusion clauses
    10 duress, undue influence and unconscionable bargains
    11. discharge of contract particularly by breach and frustration
    12. Remedies - part. damages
    13. Illegality

That should be well covered shouldnt it??!! hate doing those wee itty bitty chapters that prob won't come up. feels like a time waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Fe1r

Can anyone help me narrow down EU? I've notes done on everything but mergers, trying to learn it all now but there's so much and I'm really starting to panic

Anyone know what cases are for easements : right to light in property law please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Anyone know what cases are for easements : right to light in property law please?

There was a feature on the right to light in the Law Society Gazette last year. Try looking it up. I'd link, but I'm on my phone. Think it was Jan/Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Legalseagull

amyeee wrote: »

It's on the syllabus so there's always a chance it could come up. I don't think it will - not relevant and would be an awkward one, so totally leaving it out. The lecturer in Independent also recommended ignoring it, if that helps you make a decision!

Does anyone know what the Company Law Q5 on meetings from the April 2015 sitting was please?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

Can anyone please shed some light for me on Q5 part 3 of the March 2014 EU exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 amyeee

It's on the syllabus so there's always a chance it could come up. I don't think it will - not relevant and would be an awkward one, so totally leaving it out. The lecturer in Independent also recommended ignoring it, if that helps you make a decision!

Thanks, it does! I just saw your post on this further back.

I rang Law Society about 2 months ago asking about new Act not being on list of sources - they said they just didn't bother putting it on because they presumed most people were going to use to the new one. So lazy and counter-intuitive of them... Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

For EU, can anyone tell me which cases came up in the case note question in the March sitting, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Didi2013

Hey all,

I am siting Equity, and today I was studying Specific performance. Having reviewed the exam reports of March 2015, she says that students aren't using "the many cases that have been handed down by the Irish courts in recent years". I have tried looking up online, as I don't have any up todate manual -yet the most recent case I found was Dakoto Packing case(2005), in regard to the contract stating that the D would only buy from the P for the next 12 months - as it stated so in the contract.

Would any one have any recent cases that they could suggest?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭vickyplumx

What are people covering for company?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement