Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

kd2121 wrote: »
    Anyone have a list of topics for EU? Trying to see what can be cut out?

I've done the freedoms, competition law, mergers, state aid, citizenship, supremacy/direct effect, the various different types of Q1 questions and the case notes.

Is more needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FEar1

Hello all. The panic is starting to set in. Its my own fault for putting a countdown timer on my phone. What was I thinking...

Anyway, Constitutional. Rotten. But, any thoughts on what people feel is "due" to come up? I've covered so far...

SoP
    Due Process/Fair Procedures
    JR
    Family/Marriage
    Education
    Property Rights
    Equality
    Privacy
    AG/President

Any input welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Tyler Durdenn

FEar1 wrote: »
    Hello all. The panic is starting to set in. Its my own fault for putting a countdown timer on my phone. What was I thinking...

Anyway, Constitutional. Rotten. But, any thoughts on what people feel is "due" to come up? I've covered so far...

SoP
    Due Process/Fair Procedures
    JR
    Family/Marriage
    Education
    Property Rights
    Equality
    Privacy
    AG/President

Any input welcome!

It's difficult to say what will or wont come up in Constitutional due to the examiner's propensity for mixing various topics into questions.

Having said that, you appear to have the major areas covered( ie. Separation of Powers, Property Rights and Judicial Review). If you haven't had a good look at Unenumerated rights yet, I would recommend that you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 beerose

What are peoples' study timetables like at this stage? Are you studying in groups of days or one per day at this stage?

I.e. 8th - 11th: Property; 12th - 15th: Equity
    Or 8th: Property, 9th: Equity, etc.

With only three weeks to go I'm not sure if I should be narrowing my time down more at this stage.

I find the best way is to work backwards from your exam dates when organising your study plan. Leave the smaller topics until closer to the exam, having the bulk of the larger topics for each covered this week.

Look at the exams you have later in the sitting earlier (this week) so that you have most covered before the few days between each exam, you will take in the notes much quicker when it's only revising. I find this helps with last minute panicking. I focus on the first exam only for at least the 4days before.

This week I have been covering Constitutional (my last exam) and will move onto Equity/Tort mix this week and I will get some more constitutional covered in the next two weeks.

This method has worked for me in the last 2sittings. Hope this helps! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Honeyblossom

Hi... I was just wondering if anyone could help me regarding the constitutional exam... I'm finding it very hard to get my head around the problem questions and how to answer them properly... Eg April 2014 question 3 involving property rights and I think retrospectivity. I don't know how to approach it.. Would anyone have an example answer?! I'm starting to panic because I just don't know what they would require!
    Thank you!

• Advertisement

It's difficult to say what will or wont come up in Constitutional due to the examiner's propensity for mixing various topics into questions.

Having said that, you appear to have the major areas covered( ie. Separation of Powers, Property Rights and Judicial Review). If you haven't had a good look at Unenumerated rights yet, I would recommend that you do.

Cheers for that! I had a look at unenumerated rights in general but it came up as a very general essay question in the March sitting this year so I've a feeling he might pick and choose out of it. I covered Privacy and I might squeeze in right to earn a livelihood for good measure too.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 spaz_hawk

Just looking at previous exams for tort now and trying to select which topics to revise. Has anyone got a list of topics they are covering? Just a bit concerned because the March 2015 looked like it threw up a few surprises and October 2014 didn't look too great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

In a word, no.

Throw in Mortgages or Landlord/Tenant. If you're more nervous, both, but I don't think that's necessary. I found Registered/Unregistered land systems to be a quick one to do and got a full question on it on the day.

Know Succession inside out, upside down and backwards. And know where to find what you need in the Succession Act. Tab that bad boy!

I didnt even know that you could bring the Succession Act into the exam.!!

Could anybody tell me what exams allow for legislation to be brought in? I knew that you could bring in the Companies Act for Company Law and that you can bring in some EU Legislation (I think?) What other ones can you bring in ? Can they be printed out or do they have to be shop bought or something? On that note, where do you buy them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Could anybody tell me what exams allow for legislation to be brought in? I knew that you could bring in the Companies Act for Company Law and that you can bring in some EU Legislation (I think?) What other ones can you bring in ? Can they be printed out or do they have to be shop bought or something? On that note, where do you buy them?

I'm not try to be harsh here, but seriously, there's two weeks until the exams - go and read the syllabus!

You can bring:
    Companies Acts 1963 - 2012 or Companies Act 2014;
    EU Treaties;
    Succession Act, 1965;
    Sale of Goods Acts, 1893 and Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980;
    The Constitution.

You cannot bring printed off copies, they must be official. You can tab and highlight it, but not write on it. You're supposed to bring it to the exam venue the day before the exam and hand it in to be checked. They say you can't give it in on the morning, but you can - you'll just get it about an hour into the exam so you'll have to make do without for the first two questions or so.

Blackstones EU treaties (like one used in college) and the student version of Companies Acts is fine. The former is around twenty quid, but the latter costs the guts of €100, though, if bought new. Haven't seen a student version for the new Act out yet either. I don't think it exists yet. So you'll need the published legislation.

All legislation can be ordered from Government Publications Office (now part of the OPW). They're less than a tenner each, afaik, for property and contract anyway. They'll post it to you pretty quickly, but order it this week or don't bother, tbh. If you've never looked at that legislation before the exam you will just be wasting your time trying to find relevant sections for your answers.

Not sure if the new Constitutions are out yet. You can usually get a copy in bookshops for around three euro. I know people were panicking because the old ones got pulled from bookshops after the referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭neesie_85

I woke up this morning and suddenly the dread set in.

I really hate EU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭kiwi33

Has anyone on here done the griffith college mock exam on equity? I have mine all handed in. I was just looking at the mareva injunction problem question. I didn't do it because it wasn't the usual essay question that usually comes up about the balance between the plaintiffs rights and the injustice it can cause to the defendant. So I was just wondering how did people approach it?

Would she seek a mareva injunction here to freeze his assets in spain pending the civil trial in that country and this can be done because of the brussels convention. or would you have to apply for a world wide mareva injuction in spain and seek leave to do so in this jurisdiction based on the guidelines that were given in english courts in Dadourian Group International. I found this to be quite tricky. really hope the usual question comes up or that one of the different injunctions come up

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Anzh El

Hi! I will attempt property law for the first time in October, but I am not bringing Succession Act into the exam. It will distract me more than add any value to my succession question if such will appear on the exam. But I suppose it is very personal to everyone. At this stage now with just 2 weeks left, I would rather concentrate on studying than searching for relevant legislation materials that might not even help during the actual exam. It is just 3 hours for 5 questions. I found it difficult to answer 4 questions in 3 hours at college. Never enough time!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Hokey poke

Anzh El wrote: »
    Hi! I will attempt property law for the first time in October, but I am not bringing Succession Act into the exam. It will distract me more than add any value to my succession question if such will appear on the exam. But I suppose it is very personal to everyone. At this stage now with just 2 weeks left, I would rather concentrate on studying than searching for relevant legislation materials that might not even help during the actual exam. It is just 3 hours for 5 questions. I found it difficult to answer 4 questions in 3 hours at college. Never enough time!

You do realise that two succession questions appear on the exam every year? 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Anzh El

Hokey poke wrote: »
    You do realise that two succession questions appear on the exam every year? 🙈

I surely do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

So, for EU I am studying:-

1- Sources of EU Law
    2- Competition Law 101 & 102
    3- FMOW
    4- Citizenship
    5- Case Note
    6- Procedures before EU Courts: Preliminary reference and Enforcement action
    7- FMOG

I hope this will cover me. What's everyone else covering?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

Guys sorry to hijack the thread a bit but I'm an undergrad just wondering is it advisable to keep my text books/nutshells (I'd say there's about a 70% chance I'll do Fe1s or small chance bar) or should I just sell them off because they'll be out of date anyway. It would be 2-3 years minimum before I'd be doing the exam .

Thanks guys.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Is anyone else finding it impossible to actually just sit down and study? I mean, I've been at my desk all but I've barely gotten one chapter done. I don't have the time to be this useless!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Is anyone else finding it impossible to actually just sit down and study? I mean, I've been at my desk all but I've barely gotten one chapter done. I don't have the time to be this useless!

Yep, makes one most irritated with oneself

• Registered Users Posts: 41 spaz_hawk

It happens to me quite regularly. Just down to mental fatigue I guess. Try not to dwell on it too much and just tackle the study again with renewed focus. If you feel like you can't focus or you're not going to get anything done then try and leave the desk and do something that will take your mind off it. Go for a run or do some other exercise or even just watch an episode or two of something you enjoy. Naps can be great too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

So, for EU I am studying:-

1- Sources of EU Law
    2- Competition Law 101 & 102
    3- FMOW
    4- Citizenship
    5- Case Note
    6- Procedures before EU Courts: Preliminary reference and Enforcement action
    7- FMOG

I hope this will cover me. What's everyone else covering?

Im doing Sources, Institutions, Competence, Seperation of Powers, Citizenship, DE, State Liability, FMOW, FMOG, FMOS (and Establishment), Fiscal Barriers and Equality. Comp Law seems huge so I left it out, Im not sure if I'm not shooting myself in the foot. Also left out procedures. I have about 8 cases I know to use for the case note question as a last resort. I don't have up to date papers so really don't know what to expect.

• Advertisement

Im doing Sources, Institutions, Competence, Seperation of Powers, Citizenship, DE, State Liability, FMOW, FMOG, FMOS (and Establishment), Fiscal Barriers and Equality. Comp Law seems huge so I left it out, Im not sure if I'm not shooting myself in the foot. Also left out procedures. I have about 8 cases I know to use for the case note question as a last resort. I don't have up to date papers so really don't know what to expect.

What cases are you covering? I'm only covering about 9 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭OfficeGirl2015

Has anyone else on here just completed the Law Society's Diploma in Law course. I recently passed (thank god) and, for whatever reason, decided it was a good idea to keep going! It would be interesting to know if a) the course was substantial enough to get us through the FE1s and b) if you went very far outside of that curriculum in preparation of the FE1s. Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

I'm trying to figure out what I can leave out for Tort. I've read a number of old comments about what should be sufficient for Tort so hopefully this list is sufficient. Any thoughts?

Negligence
    Professional Negligence
    Vicarious Liability
    Occupier's Liability
    Defective Products
    Defamation
    Trespass to Person
    Land Torts (Trespass, RvF, Nuisance)
    Passing Off
    Animals/Fire

• Registered Users Posts: 21 coco97

Hi guys, have ye received your letter with your exam number yet? I got the one confirming they got my application and I'm sure I already had the exam number one at this stage last time

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

No, I haven't received anything yet. It's two weeks to go though so I'd be expecting it this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

What cases are you covering? I'm only covering about 9 myself.

ERTA
    Microsoft v Commission
    Schmidberger v Austria
    Pringle v Ireland
    Simmenthal
    McDonagh v Ryanair
    Dano v Jobcenter Leipzig
    Digital Rights Ireland

I also know a few more in less detail just from studying topics. What about yourself?

ERTA
    Microsoft v Commission
    Schmidberger v Austria
    Pringle v Ireland
    Simmenthal
    McDonagh v Ryanair
    Dano v Jobcenter Leipzig
    Digital Rights Ireland

I also know a few more in less detail just from studying topics. What about yourself?

I'm cover these:

Air tours
    Zambrano
    Microsoft v Comm
    Van Gend & Loos
    Zhu v Chen
    Kobler
    Comm. v Council (ERTA)
    Pringle v Ireland

fionnsci wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out what I can leave out for Tort. I've read a number of old comments about what should be sufficient for Tort so hopefully this list is sufficient. Any thoughts?

Negligence
    Professional Negligence
    Vicarious Liability
    Occupier's Liability
    Defective Products
    Defamation
    Trespass to Person
    Land Torts (Trespass, RvF, Nuisance)
    Passing Off
    Animals/Fire

I've your list bar professional negligence, defamation, RvF and nuisance. I would be very surprised to see liability for fire reappear too.

What's peoples thinking? Am I too short on topics? Just based my choices on the last few papers and what's most likely to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭kiwi33

For injunctions in equity are you safe enough to cover mareva injunctions: The question regarding need to show intention to dissipate assets, Mandatory Interlocutory Injunctions the campus oil test v likely success at trail question and quia timet injunctions??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭makemecrazy

Sell them, you won't need them and if you do you can use your college notes or rent a book from a library!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement