Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

Has anyone a short case note on Pringle V Ireland they could email me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 fe1chancer

Anyone has any tips for memorizing case names, the sheer volume of cases is overwhelming and my head is just a blur with cases getting confused in my head with other subjects and topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TMJK

I've never worked it out - in the Red Cow is it that surnames starting with A, B.. are in the ballroom, and then the end of the alphabet surnames are in the Pavillion?? And that would explain why I'm always in the Pavilion when my surname starts with J?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Fe1r

TMJK wrote: »
    I've never worked it out - in the Red Cow is it that surnames starting with A, B.. are in the ballroom, and then the end of the alphabet surnames are in the Pavillion?? And that would explain why I'm always in the Pavilion when my surname starts with J?

I was in the ballroom in March and my surname begins with P!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

fe1chancer wrote: »
    Anyone has any tips for memorizing case names, the sheer volume of cases is overwhelming and my head is just a blur with cases getting confused in my head with other subjects and topics.

I'm pretty sure this is a fairly common tactic but I take the first letter of every case name in a topic (in order in the chapter) and turn it into a saying. So let's say the case names are Flanagan, Earls, O'Neill, Andrews, Smith, I'd come up with a phrase like "F E Ones Are ****e." Then I'll practice each topic, thinking the phrase as I write the first letter of the case name. Once I've got the F E O A S down, I'll fill in the case names. It'll take some time to remember what the letter stands for so practice is necessary.

Then move onto the next topic and do the same. If possible, I'll string the phrases for different topics together to form a semi-coherent story. That makes it easier to remember each one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 COH1234

Hi Guys

Silly question but does anyone know where you can get an overview of recent Eu cases? I find the Curia website awful it's not very user friendly but I don't want to be faced with a casenote question that I can't answer again!!! Last time I literally didn't know 1 case

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Does anyone have any thoughts on Contract as tonif there is a lot in it or if it is marked harshly going on experience? Hoping to sit it but haven't looked at it yet so not sure if this is realistic.

Thinking of covering:

Offer and Acceptance
    Consideration/estoppel
    Privity and Capacity
    Exclusion Clauses
    Misrepresentation
    Mistake
    Undue Influence
    Discharge
    Remedies

Would I be likely to be covered with this if I leave out the Consumer stuff?

Thanks a mil

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

dashdoll wrote: »
    Only finishing making my notes today....:-(

Please someone tell me they are in position!

Could anyone offer any advice on Contract and it's diffuculty? Likelihood is that I will onl have about 3 days to learn it.

Why did I waste the last 2 weeks?!

I still have 3 topics of EU notes to do and a topic of Company aaaand I'm not finished up work until 2 days before my first exam which is Company! So I would say you are fine haha :) Brain will be busted this week!! Roll on October 7th!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭OfficeGirl2015

smeal wrote: »
    I still have 3 topics of EU notes to do and a topic of Company aaaand I'm not finished up work until 2 days before my first exam which is Company! So I would say you are fine haha :) Brain will be busted this week!! Roll on October 7th!

I only finished the last of my Contract notes yesterday too. Now for memorization, the fun part!! I just recently took exams for the Diploma in Law course by the Law Society so Im hoping the cirriculum has enough depth to get me through....fingers crossed for everybody...only a couple of weeks left before we can have our lives back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 socorobo

Does anyone have any thoughts on Contract as tonif there is a lot in it or if it is marked harshly going on experience? Hoping to sit it but haven't looked at it yet so not sure if this is realistic.

Thinking of covering:

Offer and Acceptance
    Consideration/estoppel
    Privity and Capacity
    Exclusion Clauses
    Misrepresentation
    Mistake
    Undue Influence
    Discharge
    Remedies

Would I be likely to be covered with this if I leave out the Consumer stuff?

Thanks a mil

Those are all of the big ones (though you'd need to know how to classify different terms and how a term can be properly be incorporated into a contract), but it would be worth knowing about the Statute of Frauds (what sort of contracts does it apply to, what's required to create a valid memorandum) and having a general idea about the Consumer legislation: specifically s.12-15 of the Sale of Goods Act 1893. It's only 4 different provisions but they all have to do with standard consumer transactions that would come up in the problem questions. They're stuff like Sale by Sample, Sale by Description, Merchantable Quality and having good title to goods you're trying to sell. The legislation will also tell you which of these are warranties and which are conditions and you can bring the legislation into the exam with you. It's very handy to know and compared to the rest of the course, very short and easy to learn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

Can anyone chime in on the difference in treatment of pure economic loss and consequential economic loss?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Crackingwise

Hey Guys,

Freaking out with so little time to go.

Does anyone have any predictions for Equity this time around ?

Not too sure what to focus on in praticular.

Really need some help !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭SteJay

I'm due to sit constitution for the third time. its my final FE1, and its my Last ever shot at it, my 5years is up in december.

I am struggling with the separation of Power's.I have the notes from the fe1 prep course but struggle with applying it to the questions asked.does anyone have any good notes on the topic, that they wouldn't mind sharing

Be a great help.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

Regarding statutes, print-outs are not acceptable, are they? I have to buy proper copies? If so, where from? I need SOG ones for Contract and whatever it is I need for EU. Help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

fionnsci wrote: »
    Regarding statutes, print-outs are not acceptable, are they? I have to buy proper copies? If so, where from? I need SOG ones for Contract and whatever it is I need for EU. Help appreciated.

see post 5261

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Fe1almostdone

Can anyone chime in on the difference in treatment of pure economic loss and consequential economic loss?

It's dealt with in the English case of Spartan Steel Alloys v Martin and Co. P was suing D for damages to their products which were in the furnace when the power was cut off due to D's negligence, and for loss of profits because they couldn't work while the power was out.
    They were able to recover the damages for damage to the materials (consequential loss) but not for loss of profits (pure economic loss) because there was no physical damage of any kind and to open it up would leave floodgates etc... That's the grounding of it basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DaveKit

Anyone have an idea on how this new EU examiner fair out. Will he turn the exam on it's head and add his own questions or will he stick to Travers approach?
    I'm thinking he may keep the normal layout and add question or two of his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

TMJK wrote: »

My surname starts with M and ive been in both rooms for exams

• Registered Users Posts: 21 coco97

DaveKit wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea on how this new EU examiner fair out. Will he turn the exam on it's head and add his own questions or will he stick to Travers approach?

I'm kind of assuming that he'll more or less stick to Travers' approach? Maybe a bit less choice but hopefully more straightforward questions and obviously hopefully they'll be working off the same marking scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭qwerty1991

I'm just wondering would I be really at a disadvantage if I didn't bring in a copy of the companies acts with me. I am answering on the old acts and the book costs 100 Euro! I wouldn't mind except I will be throwing it in the bin basically once the exam is over and I am not feeling very confident about passing anyways. Do many not bring in the legislation!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭neesie_85

qwerty1991 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering would I be really at a disadvantage if I didn't bring in a copy of the companies acts with me. I am answering on the old acts and the book costs 100 Euro! I wouldn't mind except I will be throwing it in the bin basically once the exam is over and I am not feeling very confident about passing anyways. Do many not bring in the legislation!?

I think it will all depend on how easy it is for you to learn off all the needed Sections and what they correspond to. I didn't bring in the legislation and passed the exam but I made sure that when I did mention the section that provided for example the duties of the directors or shareholder remedies that I quoted the right section.

Hope the study is going well.

I'm covering the following topics for EU...I know I'm leaving out a bit but I really don't have time so would love to hear any opinions on if I do really need to cover anything else.

Plan is to do:
    Direct Effect of Directives
    Preliminary References
    Judicial Review
    Member State Liability
    Free Movements
    Competition Law
    State Aid
    Covering a few cases for the case note qs also.

Thinking of leaving out institutions completely as it's so broad and equality also amongst others.

Is this too little?

Thanks

Hope the study is going well.

I'm covering the following topics for EU...I know I'm leaving out a bit but I really don't have time so would love to hear any opinions on if I do really need to cover anything else.

Plan is to do:
    Direct Effect of Directives
    Preliminary References
    Judicial Review
    Member State Liability
    Free Movements
    Competition Law
    State Aid
    Covering a few cases for the case note qs also.

Thinking of leaving out institutions completely as it's so broad and equality also amongst others.

Is this too little?

Thanks

If you're leaving out institutions would you include sources instead? It's not a huge topic by any means but institutions and sources are usually part a and part b of question 1, so at least you'd be covered some bit

Fe1r wrote: »
    If you're leaving out institutions would you include sources instead? It's not a huge topic by any means but institutions and sources are usually part a and part b of question 1, so at least you'd be covered some bit

Thanks for that

Il have a look at sources (and hope it's short!)

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Finished notes yesterday so today was the first day of learning. Doing 5 so a bit of a slog but the end point is in sight.

Anybody else finding it hard to stay concentrated? Not getting the amount of work done that I probably should and even the quality of work I'm doing isn't as focused. I know they're massive exams but the nerves/focus haven't quite hit me yet now that I'm studying at home rather than doing college exams where it's much more of a study environment around exam time.

Figsy32 wrote: »
    Finished notes yesterday so today was the first day of learning. Doing 5 so a bit of a slog but the end point is in sight.

Anybody else finding it hard to stay concentrated? Not getting the amount of work done that I probably should and even the quality of work I'm doing isn't as focused. I know they're massive exams but the nerves/focus haven't quite hit me yet now that I'm studying at home rather than doing college exams where it's much more of a study environment around exam time.

I'm the same, I was much more focused coming up to my first four in March and now just doing two I'm finding it harder to really get into it, it really doesn't feel like they are starting next week

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭FE1 student

DaveKit wrote: »

I was wondering would the LS not use the second paper set by Travers in January for this sitting and the new fella would write his papers for March/Sep2016?? So could still be another nightmare paper !!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Fe1r wrote: »
    I'm the same, I was much more focused coming up to my first four in March and now just doing two I'm finding it harder to really get into it, it really doesn't feel like they are starting next week

Yeah I'm finding it hard to have a sense of urgency or something. It feels distant even though it isn't.

We'll get through it though!

Figsy32 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm finding it hard to have a sense of urgency or something. It feels distant even though it isn't.

We'll get through it though!

Yep, I'm sure there are people out there facing something much worse who would only be glad to swap places with us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 liizzlemon

Hi,just wondering re company what people are planning on studying,the usual directors and borrowing by the company are standard,but is anyone studying anything on the new companies act and if so any idea if there is anywhere to get notes on it..I did a prep course previously but obviously it doesn't include any of the new act.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement