Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FEar1

I'm feeling the same as ye. It must be the weather. Or the painful process of memorising all this stuff. Lets go with weather ;-)

What do any of ye sitting tort reckon of this list:

Negligence (incl. Causation, Remoteness, Duty of Care, Standard of Care...)
    Vicarious Liability
    Occupiers Liability
    Employers Liability
    Products Liability
    Trespass to Person, Land and Chattels
    Passing Off
    Liability for Animals

Any input welcome! :-)

liizzlemon wrote: »
    Hi,just wondering re company what people are planning on studying,the usual directors and borrowing by the company are standard,but is anyone studying anything on the new companies act and if so any idea if there is anywhere to get notes on it..I did a prep course previously but obviously it doesn't include any of the new act.

Going by old Companies Acts. This is the last sitting where we can do that though so I'm eager to get it passed and out of the way!

Plenty of time to learn the new Act in Blackhall...hopefully! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

liizzlemon wrote: »
    Hi,just wondering re company what people are planning on studying,the usual directors and borrowing by the company are standard,but is anyone studying anything on the new companies act and if so any idea if there is anywhere to get notes on it..I did a prep course previously but obviously it doesn't include any of the new act.

You can answer on either the old acts or the new act! No need to mix them.

I'm doing Directors, SLP, Shares/Share Transfer, Borrowing, Liquidation, Realisation of Assets and Capital maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Fe1r

FEar1 wrote: »
    I'm feeling the same as ye. It must be the weather. Or the painful process of memorising all this stuff. Lets go with weather ;-)

Vicarious Liability
    Occupiers Liability
    Employers Liability
    Products Liability
    Passing Off
    Liability for Animals

I passed tort in March, I wouldn't leave out defamation and I'd have a look at liability for fire too, that was a whole question that came as a big surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 coco97

FEar1 wrote: »

Vicarious Liability
    Occupiers Liability
    Employers Liability
    Products Liability
    Passing Off
    Liability for Animals

I wouldn't really leave out the chapter on nervous shock and economic loss to be honest and I'm doing med neg also but I'm totally leaving out defamation, can't get my head around it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

dashdoll wrote: »
    Hope the study is going well.

I'm covering the following topics for EU...I know I'm leaving out a bit but I really don't have time so would love to hear any opinions on if I do really need to cover anything else.

Plan is to do:
    Direct Effect of Directives
    Preliminary References
    Judicial Review
    Member State Liability
    Free Movements
    Competition Law
    State Aid
    Covering a few cases for the case note qs also.

Thinking of leaving out institutions completely as it's so broad and equality also amongst others.

Is this too little?

Thanks

Hi dashdoll. I'm doing along the same topics as you except I'm not doing State Aid and I'm doing Union Citizenship, Sources and the general outline of institutions. I'm also thinking of only doing about 4 case notes as a backup question if I feel the problems are really tough.

If you are doing Free Movement of Workers I would recommend you do Union Citizenship also as the two can overlap very easily. It's not a bad chapter and is actually fairly interesting :)

I am waaaay too relaxed for these exams this time around.

coco97 wrote: »
    I wouldn't really leave out the chapter on nervous shock and economic loss to be honest and I'm doing med neg also but I'm totally leaving out defamation, can't get my head around it

I've nothing massively against defamation, I'm just hoping it may be less likely to come up again than others based on the last few papers.

As for nervous shock and economic loss, I'll give them a look over! Thanks coco!:cool:

Anyone doing Criminal have any thoughts on offences against the State and against administration of justice? Also Inchoate Offences?

Just getting to grips with the amount to memorise for this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Hokey poke

Hey, does anyone have a sample answer on Q4 in the march 2015 tort exam? I can't get my head around causation at all 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Claregal11

Hey just looking at the company examiners report from last sitting and at the end of each question he talks about the 2014 act and says what should have been mentioned. Does this mean the 2014 act should be referred to in ever question even if you're answering with the old acts?

• Advertisement

Claregal11 wrote: »
    Hey just looking at the company examiners report from last sitting and at the end of each question he talks about the 2014 act and says what should have been mentioned. Does this mean the 2014 act should be referred to in ever question even if you're answering with the old acts?

No you can answer on either act so I presume he's just covering both options. I'd say practically everyone is answering the old acts so he gives a more detailed overview on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Claregal11

Figsy32 wrote: »
    No you can answer on either act so I presume he's just covering both options. I'd say practically everyone is answering the old acts so he gives a more detailed overview on them.

Oh phew thanks! Was starting to panic looking at that! Also from the reports slightly worrying that he considers 52% pass rate as good ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Legalseagull

Figsy32 wrote: »

My reading of it (and I am open to correction) is that you're not actually supposed to include both in an answer, or on the paper in general. He really emphasised the word 'or' on the paper. I think if you're answering pre 2014 you should pretend that CA2014 doesnt exist!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

My reading of it (and I am open to correction) is that you're not actually supposed to include both in an answer, or on the paper in general. He really emphasised the word 'or' on the paper. I think if you're answering pre 2014 you should pretend that CA2014 doesnt exist!

I was thinking of just mentioning what the new provisions would be (if I could remember them!) in an answer. Would that be a bad idea?

I was thinking of just mentioning what the new provisions would be (if I could remember them!) in an answer. Would that be a bad idea?

Im sure citing it (rather than relying on it) would get you a couple of extra marks!

Getting a bit overwhelmed with Constitutional. Struggling with the volume of topics and cases. Anyone have any tips that worked for them in this exam? Even just identifying the question being asked seems like a huge task. And don't get me started on the exam reports....

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭EthanSS

Hey everyone,

So, for EU I'm covering:

(1) Institutions
    (2) Fundamental Rights
    (3) Supremacy
    (4) Direct Effect & Directives
    (5) Member State Liability
    (6) Judicial Review
    (7) Preliminary Reference
    (8) Freedoms; Goods, Services, Establishment & Workers
    (9) Citizenship
    (10) Competition Law
    (11) The case note Q (covering 12 cases for this)

What would people recommend as my last topic to study? I'm toying between Equality, State Aid or Mergers. Are any of these more likely to appear on this paper? Which of these would be easier/quicker/more compact to study? Which has the easiest Q on the paper? I still have practically everything to learn off yet.

Thanks everybody.

EthanSS wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

So, for EU I'm covering:

(1) Institutions
    (2) Fundamental Rights
    (3) Supremacy
    (4) Direct Effect & Directives
    (5) Member State Liability
    (6) Judicial Review
    (7) Preliminary Reference
    (8) Freedoms; Goods, Services, Establishment & Workers
    (9) Citizenship
    (10) Competition Law
    (11) The case note Q (covering 12 cases for this)

What would people recommend as my last topic to study? I'm toying between Equality, State Aid or Mergers. Are any of these more likely to appear on this paper? Which of these would be easier/quicker/more compact to study? Which has the easiest Q on the paper? I still have practically everything to learn off yet.

Thanks everybody.

I'm covering everything on your list bar the case note question but I'm also doing equality. There's a good bit in it, but compared to state aid and mergers its more common on the paper

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

What do people think about Ultra Vires for Company?

I think it's probably unlikely to be asked as people can answer on the 2014 Act also so unless it was part of an answer A or B type question I'm thinking it might be unlikely given the fact that the act is now in force.

Not sure whether to leave it out as it would be a handy question!

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭EthanSS

Thanks FE1r, I appreciate that. Are you covering anything else I'm not covering?

I'll look at Equality during the week so if I get the chance and give State Aid and Mergers a miss. Probably makes more sense to covers it if it's more likely to appear.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

EthanSS wrote: »
    Thanks FE1r, I appreciate that. Are you covering anything else I'm not covering?

I'll look at Equality during the week so if I get the chance and give State Aid and Mergers a miss. Probably makes more sense to covers it if it's more likely to appear.

Thanks again.

No you're actually covering more than me by doing the case note question! I just looked at exam grids and narrowed it down but was very reluctant to cut anything out so I feel "our" list is pretty comprehensive, fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

Fe1r wrote: »
    I'm covering everything on your list bar the case note question but I'm also doing equality. There's a good bit in it, but compared to state aid and mergers its more common on the paper

for EU I am studying:-

1- Sources of EU Law
    2- Competition Law 101 & 102
    3- FMOW
    4- Citizenship
    5- Case Note
    6- Procedures before EU Courts: Preliminary reference and Enforcement action
    7- FMOG

What you reckon, covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 coco97

I'm not sure if this has been asked already but I'm a bit iffy about company. I've heard he's a pretty hard marker so I guess just wondering what ppl are studying? I'm thinking

1. SLP
    2. Corporate authority
    3. Directors
    4. Restriction & fraudulent & reckless trading.
    5. Transfer of shares.
    6. SH Protection
    7. Company Borrowing.
    8. Receivership (as an absolute emergency)

What do Ye think?

On the plus side, 2 weeks and we're done :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭missindigo123

Any suggestions for the Constitutional Cases? My second time doing the paper, got 49 last time so really want to get over the edge with it.
    Also anyone break down the difference between the two proportionality tests?

Thanks in advance!

I think it's probably unlikely to be asked as people can answer on the 2014 Act also so unless it was part of an answer A or B type question I'm thinking it might be unlikely given the fact that the act is now in force.

Any thoughts?

I'm going to leave it out! I know he seems to love the topic but it doesnt really exsist since the new act so would be a bit unfair on those relying on the 2014 Act only to answer the questions

Not sure whether or not to bring the Companies Acts into the exam? Any suggestions, are they a help or hindrance?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TMJK

Any thoughts?

I'm leaving it out. I'm thinking why'd it be asked as its no longer relevant(?).
    I'm also wondering about S150 Restriction. The past questions always focus on the defence of having acted "honestly and responsibly", but that is apparently no longer a defence under the new Act, so it'd be unlikely to be asked as well I'm guessing.
    Anyone else going along with this logic??

• Registered Users Posts: 36 effinnblindin

Is it beneficial to bring the Succession Act into the Property exam? Someone here mentioned that it can be tabbed, is that allowed and can you write anything on the tabs?

TMJK wrote: »
    I'm leaving it out. I'm thinking why'd it be asked as its no longer relevant(?).
    I'm also wondering about S150 Restriction. The past questions always focus on the defence of having acted "honestly and responsibly", but that is apparently no longer a defence under the new Act, so it'd be unlikely to be asked as well I'm guessing.
    Anyone else going along with this logic??

They asked it last time. You could use the new act then I'm nearly sure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Is it beneficial to bring the Succession Act into the Property exam? Someone here mentioned that it can be tabbed, is that allowed and can you write anything on the tabs?

Yes, it's of benefit. Yes, you can tab it. No, you cannot write anything at all on it apart from your exam number. Tabbing and highlighting only.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement