Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭michelle2000

May92 wrote: »
    Hi, i've covered most of the equity side of the equity and trusts course but havn't looked at any of the trusts side, could anyone tell me a few of the must-cover topics for trusts please?

Hi,

to cover yourself I would recommend express trusts (easily broken down into three areas - DMC, 3 certainties and Strong v Bird) and then resulting trusts in particular automatic resulting trusts and then purchase money resulting trusts (wife in family home) both dont take too long to cover.

As a matter of interest what else have people covered for equity?
    What are you covering for injunctions? Am i correct in saying perpetual injunctions have never made an appearance and since mandatory interloc came up last year - we would be okay to cover Mareva, Anton, Bayer and then the specific circs where injunctions are granted (breach of contract, constitutional right, public policy and employement contracts?)

Does anyone have the independent colleges guide to equity document that outlines what the lectures think might appear in this sitting that they could send on? I have alot of material that I could swap for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Hi,

to cover yourself I would recommend express trusts (easily broken down into three areas - DMC, 3 certainties and Strong v Bird) and then resulting trusts in particular automatic resulting trusts and then purchase money resulting trusts (wife in family home) both dont take too long to cover.

As a matter of interest what else have people covered for equity?
    What are you covering for injunctions? Am i correct in saying perpetual injunctions have never made an appearance and since mandatory interloc came up last year - we would be okay to cover Mareva, Anton, Bayer and then the specific circs where injunctions are granted (breach of contract, constitutional right, public policy and employement contracts?)

Does anyone have the independent colleges guide to equity document that outlines what the lectures think might appear in this sitting that they could send on? I have alot of material that I could swap for.
    CRM1 wrote: »
    Hey, I am kind of in the same position as I don't particularly like trusts at all. But they do have to be covered ... maybe focus on Charitable trusts - appear to be a frequent question from there depending on time maybe resulting trusts and Trusteeship also seems to be frequently examined although I'm hoping not in October! That would be my advice but to be safe have one or two questions prepared on them!!
    Hi, i've covered most of the equity side of the equity and trusts course but havn't looked at any of the trusts side, could anyone tell me a few of the must-cover topics for trusts please?

From what I remember when I did Equity and Trusts is that there is usually 5 equity questions and three trust questions. Am I right? It's coming into my head that there is a 3 part question in there somewhere too that could mix trusts into that.

Anyway, I found out the hard way. Don't cut corners, include the trusts topics that are examinable. Equity and Trusts is very easy to break down i.e. if you look at past questions you will see the examiner really only has a few different ways of asking questions on certain topics. Learn them!

I suppose it is a bit late to be taking on new topics at this stage though. Surely leave out the area's that came up last time?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 May92

Thanks guys!

For injunctions, I'm just covering general interlocutory injunctions (The special circumstances where the courts depart from the Campus Oil principles, defamation etc.), and Mareva injunctions. Anton Piller Orders have never come up on their own, there has always been an (a) OR (b) choice so i'm not going to bother with them!

Thanks guys!

For injunctions, I'm just covering general interlocutory injunctions (The special circumstances where the courts depart from the Campus Oil principles, defamation etc.), and Mareva injunctions. Anton Piller Orders have never come up on their own, there has always been an (a) OR (b) choice so i'm not going to bother with them!

Did Quia Timet Injunctions come up last time?

If not it would take you an hour to learn that off with a couple of good sample answers. It can come up frequently too, but if it did in fact come up last time then yeah, steer clear if you're really looking to cut stuff out.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 May92

No they didn't come up last time, but they did the sitting before that and from the looks of the grid it's generally once every 4/5 sittings it comes up...so think I will be leaving that out too! Have so much still to cover that I have to cut everything I can, I have no choice at this stage :(

• Advertisement

No they didn't come up last time, but they did the sitting before that and from the looks of the grid it's generally once every 4/5 sittings it comes up...so think I will be leaving that out too! Have so much still to cover that I have to cut everything I can, I have no choice at this stage :(

I'm going for my final two - Tort and Company. Have 90% of the topics covered for Tort, which should be ok. But for Company I only have a good knowledge on the main 7 or 8 topics, I'm trying to see what's the best to cut out at the minute, and see what would be worth adding in. I hate cutting anything but sometimes it does have to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

chops018 wrote: »
    I'm going for my final two - Tort and Company. Have 90% of the topics covered for Tort, which should be ok. But for Company I only have a good knowledge on the main 7 or 8 topics, I'm trying to see what's the best to cut out at the minute, and see what would be worth adding in. I hate cutting anything but sometimes it does have to be done.

What is the main 8 you're focussing on? I'm haven't even started memorising company yet as i am still ploughing through crim, contract and constitution!!

What is the main 8 you're focussing on? I'm haven't even started memorising company yet as i am still ploughing through crim, contract and constitution!!

Here's my plan for it:

-Corporate Personality.
    -Agent Authority.
    -Ultra Vires.
    -Directors.
    -Restriction and Disqualification.
    -SH Protection.
    -Borrowings (Concentrating on: Fixed vs. Floating Charges, Registration of Charges - section 99, Retention of Title Clauses).
    -Winding Up.
    -Dispositions.

The above are my main topics that I have a good-ish grasp/knowledge of.

The one's I'm not as good at but have covered are:

-Capital Maintenance.
    -Examinership.
    -Recievership.

For the above I am only going to note a couple of case and underline the legislation for them. They don't really come up but just incase I am in need for a stab at a 5th I am going to do the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 penny1500

Hi guys, I am covering Specific Performance, Rectification, Undue Influence, Resulting Trusts, Estoppel (maybe), Satisfaction, Charitable Trusts, Mareva Injunctions, Anton Pillar Orders, Quia Timet Injunctions (maybe) for the Equity exam...Do you think that'd be enough? Thanks a mill for any suggestions!!! Hope everyone is doing ok with the study...if there's anything you think I can help with fire ahead and ask...xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Milkypops

For Winding up in Company, what are people focusing on? Is it mainly just S.213(e) & (f) i.e inability to pay debts and just and equitable to wind up etc??

• Advertisement

penny1500 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I am covering Specific Performance, Rectification, Undue Influence, Resulting Trusts, Estoppel (maybe), Satisfaction, Charitable Trusts, Mareva Injunctions, Anton Pillar Orders, Quia Timet Injunctions (maybe) for the Equity exam...Do you think that'd be enough? Thanks a mill for any suggestions!!! Hope everyone is doing ok with the study...if there's anything you think I can help with fire ahead and ask...xxx

I would look at strong v bird and quistclose trusts aswell for the note question and maybe departure from interlocutory injunctions aswell? that came up with mareva in a 2 part question in March 2011!!

I do :) any chance u have tort or company?? from the looks of it seems like a fairly solid prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dandadub

last March I studied most equitable remedies and I felt the exam was mostly on trusts. very unfair exam. nowhere near passing it

anybody have the outline of what the lecturers think is due on equity and tort in October??

dandadub wrote: »
    anybody have the outline of what the lecturers think is due on equity and tort in October??

I have the one for equity....send me a pm with your email and il send it on to u :) anything for company by any chance?

Hey Milkypops, I wonder could I have a look at the lecturers tips for equity too if you don't mind...I am sitting Equity, property, contract and criminal...have nowhere near enough work done so it's going to be 2 insane weeks ahead!!! I haven't done company yet but I do have some of the exams solutions etc if you want me to email them to you from a course I did before with City Colleges. My email is msfrancesfox at gmail dot com. Thanks a mill!! Best of luck with the study!! :)

Hey Milkypops, I wonder could I have a look at the lecturers tips for equity too if you don't mind...I am sitting Equity, property, contract and criminal...have nowhere near enough work done so it's going to be 2 insane weeks ahead!!! I haven't done company yet but I do have some of the exams solutions etc if you want me to email them to you from a course I did before with City Colleges. My email is msfrancesfox at gmail dot com. Thanks a mill!! Best of luck with the study!! :)

sent it on there to ya :)

Thanks a mill Milkypops...sent some stuff back to you....hope it helps!!!! :)

Hi Michelle, just wondering if you had any luck with the criminal/ contract/ property tips for this sitting? Thanks a mill!! Hope the study's going well!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Hey Milkypops, I'm just about to sit down and do equity and wouldn't mind being able to cut some stuff down: any chance I could get it too, please? I have past exam papers for trade if that's alright.

Btw, City Colleges have their night before notes on their website here but they don't have Tort. Does anyone happen to have them or a link to them? Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hey Milkypops, I'm just about to sit down and do equity and wouldn't mind being able to cut some stuff down: any chance I could get it too, please? I have past exam papers for trade if that's alright.

Btw, City Colleges have their night before notes on their website here but they don't have Tort. Does anyone happen to have them or a link to them? Thanks.

send me a pm with your email :)

What other subjects are you doing Stormington? :)

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has exam grids for Contract and Criminal Law? Thanks a mill... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Morris_fe1s

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has exam grids for Contract and Criminal Law? Thanks a mill... :)

Hi Penny i do have some exam grids.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

What other subjects are you doing Stormington? :)

Property, tort, criminal and contract. 3 others will be March next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭michelle2000

Hi all,

Has anyone got the criminal independent 'guide to' doc that the lecturers prepare to see whats coming up?
    I have it for contract, property, tort and would happily swap anything for it at this stage!

Thanks in advance!

Hi Penny i do have some exam grids.
    Hi Morris, I wonder could I have a look at the grids...could send you my email if you don't mind forwarding them on...is there anything that I might have that would help you? Thanks a mill... :)

Hi all,

Has anyone got the criminal independent 'guide to' doc that the lecturers prepare to see whats coming up?
    I have it for contract, property, tort and would happily swap anything for it at this stage!

Thanks in advance!
    Hi Michelle, I don't have the doc that you're looking for but I have good criminal notes from City Colleges if they're any good to you... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

Anyone else experiencing mode swings over these exams? I was up and down like a yo yo yesterday. The lack of social life / being able to relax is getting to me.

Today just decided to do q's all day because I'm sick to death of reading. Gonna try do three subjects in 2.5 hours each

• Advertisement

Milkypops wrote: »
    I have the one for equity....send me a pm with your email and il send it on to u :) anything for company by any chance?

No sorry I haven't studied Company Law yet. Its all ahead of me unfortunately

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement