Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Fe1r

Is it beneficial to bring the Succession Act into the Property exam? Someone here mentioned that it can be tabbed, is that allowed and can you write anything on the tabs?

Yes absolutely, it's great to give your memory a boost if you need it and its good at the end to glance over it to make sure you've covered everything. Succession is usually two questions in the exam too, its worth the time it takes to tab!

for EU I am studying:-

1- Sources of EU Law
    2- Competition Law 101 & 102
    3- FMOW
    4- Citizenship
    5- Case Note
    6- Procedures before EU Courts: Preliminary reference and Enforcement action
    7- FMOG

What you reckon, covered?

More or less, I'd add direct effect/supremacy to your list as well and institutions if you have time

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Laura Steph

Hi all,

First post in a while but I've been keeping track of the thread. I hope everyone is getting all done that needs to be done for these exams. Two weeks and they're over!!

Has anyone here not yet secured a traineeship? I'm still on the hunt but find I'm becoming really disillusioned by the whole process.

I've gained various legal experiences over the past few years, went abroad, undertook a Masters etc..all in the hope of becoming more employable. Still, the hunt goes on.

I know exams are the major priority right now but if anyone is in the same boat or has come out the other side, I'd really like to hear about your experience. Anything to keep the spirits up.

Here's to passing this round of these rotten exams! 😊

Hi all,

First post in a while but I've been keeping track of the thread. I hope everyone is getting all done that needs to be done for these exams. Two weeks and they're over!!

Has anyone here not yet secured a traineeship? I'm still on the hunt but find I'm becoming really disillusioned by the whole process.

I've gained various legal experiences over the past few years, went abroad, undertook a Masters etc..all in the hope of becoming more employable. Still, the hunt goes on.

I know exams are the major priority right now but if anyone is in the same boat or has come out the other side, I'd really like to hear about your experience. Anything to keep the spirits up.

Im

Hi all,

I'm in the same boat, undergrad and Masters in law and internship under my belt but no sign of a training contract yet! It will happen when the time is right, at least that's what I'm telling myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Laura Steph

Fe1r wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat, undergrad and Masters in law and internship under my belt but no sign of a training contract yet! It will happen when the time is right, at least that's what I'm telling myself!

As do I! Although I'm not taking any joy in your position, I am glad I'm not alone!

As do I! Although I'm not taking any joy in your position, I am glad I'm not alone!

Likewise! Let's get the exams over with then worry about a contract!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

Fe1r wrote: »
    More or less, I'd add direct effect/supremacy to your list as well and institutions if you have time

I forgot to add that I'm covering direct effect and supremacy also, if a question on institutions comes up I'll use the Treaties I'm bringing in with me. Hope I'm covered though..

• Registered Users Posts: 36 effinnblindin

Yes, it's of benefit. Yes, you can tab it. No, you cannot write anything at all on it apart from your exam number. Tabbing and highlighting only.

So can I put numbered tabs on it? It would be pointless putting random stickers on if they weren't numbered...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FEar1

TMJK wrote: »
    I'm leaving it out. I'm thinking why'd it be asked as its no longer relevant(?).
    I'm also wondering about S150 Restriction. The past questions always focus on the defence of having acted "honestly and responsibly", but that is apparently no longer a defence under the new Act, so it'd be unlikely to be asked as well I'm guessing.
    Anyone else going along with this logic??

I think Restriction is probably still sufficiently untouched to be asked as a basic enough question. Maybe a Part A or B kind of thing.

Aside from Ultra Vires, surely Corporate Authority falls into the category of completely reformed now that its been pretty much merged with the concept of Ultra Vires in the 2014 Act? Or am I overestimating the overlap between it and the new provisions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 fe1chancer

I was in the same boat B. Corp and LLB done and took a few years and was talking to a guy who set up his own practice and asked me to come on board it put more pressure on to pass in my opinion as they expect you to fly through and move onto the next stage as soon as possible. Just my point of view from being in a traineeship.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 spaz_hawk

Has anyone an idea on what to cover for Tort? The exam grid from Griffith is wrong and makes it difficult to narrow down topics. What are people's opinions on the likelihood of Res Ipsa Locquitur or Rylands v Fletcher coming up?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TMJK

For Company what's Q6 of the last paper asking for? S202(books of account), S31(loans between Co&Dir) & S297 (reckless & fraudulent)?
    It says to advise about making MD personally liable??

spaz_hawk wrote: »
    Has anyone an idea on what to cover for Tort? The exam grid from Griffith is wrong and makes it difficult to narrow down topics. What are people's opinions on the likelihood of Res Ipsa Locquitur or Rylands v Fletcher coming up?

I've a small note on Res Ipsa in with my general negligence notes just in case but I'm not bothering with Rylands -v- Fletcher as full essay question on it last time out. As awkward as some of his questions can be, he seems to have a fairly regular rotation system going on...

TMJK wrote: »
    For Company what's Q6 of the last paper asking for? S202(books of account), S31(loans between Co&Dir) & S297 (reckless & fraudulent)?
    It says to advise about making MD personally liable??

Yep, think its a few situations where directors can be found personally liable for all (or part) of companies debts resulting from reckless/illegal behaviour.

That's my understanding of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 spaz_hawk

FEar1 wrote: »
    I've a small note on Res Ipsa in with my general negligence notes just in case but I'm not bothering with Rylands -v- Fletcher as full essay question on it last time out. As awkward as some of his questions can be, he seems to have a fairly regular rotation system going on...

Thanks! I can't seem to work out his system because of the problem with the grid i have. If i have the following covered (not that well admittedly) would you think, in your opinion, i am alright?

Causation/Remoteness, Standard/Duty of Care, Occupier's Liability, Trespass to the Person, Defamation, Liability for Animals, Nuisance, Vicarious Liability, Nervous Shock and Passing Off.

Anyone elses's opinion would be greatly appreciated also!

spaz_hawk wrote: »
    Thanks! I can't seem to work out his system because of the problem with the grid i have. If i have the following covered (not that well admittedly) would you think, in your opinion, i am alright?

Causation/Remoteness, Standard/Duty of Care, Occupier's Liability, Trespass to the Person, Defamation, Liability for Animals, Nuisance, Vicarious Liability, Nervous Shock and Passing Off.

Anyone elses's opinion would be greatly appreciated also!

The only thing I really have different to you is I swapped out Defamation and Nuisance for Employers Liability and Economic Loss. Aside from that, we're the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

The only thing I really have different to you is I swapped out Defamation and Nuisance for Employers Liability and Economic Loss. Aside from that, we're the same.

What do you think about professional neg?

What do you think about professional neg?

Might come up. Just feel that other topics more likely. If it does come up, I'd say it would be med neg. Still though, as I'm sure you've heard before, you never know with the FE1s :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DaveKit

Got a dry socket after a tooth extraction this week. Pain is torturous.
    Looks like I'll be pulling out of company.
    Murphy and his law be knocking on my door, w*nker.

• Advertisement

DaveKit wrote: »

If you were planning on answering with old Companies Acts, it's worth noting that this is the last sitting where we can use them.

Companies Act 2014 only from Spring sitting next year onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Happened to me a few months ago. Go back to the dentist and get it clean and filled with that weird medicated gauze stuff. I felt better within half an hour and could barely feel it by that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DaveKit

If you were planning on answering with old Companies Acts, it's worth noting that this is the last sitting where we can use them.

Companies Act 2014 only from Spring sitting next year onwards.

No I wasn't thankfully, cheers though.

No I wasn't thankfully, cheers though.

Not so bad. No panic then so! Focus on getting the tooth sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Would anyone mind posting/PMing the topics that came up in the Autumn 2014 sitting for Equity and Contract, please? Would be really appreciated.

Remember that if you don't attend an exam on medical grounds, you can get 80% of your exam fee back if you have medical evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭law_student1

Do we need to bring photo ID to the exam? Sorry if this has been asked before!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 coco97

Do we need to bring photo ID to the exam? Sorry if this has been asked before!

Ya either passport or driving licence and also the letter with your exam number on it. Pretty sure they don't really check it but better safe than sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Unleashed

Morning!
    Just wondering if people reckon any 'night before notes' will be posted form City/Independent for Tort (or any of the other Subjects)? Or failing that, any predictions?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭OfficeGirl2015

Unleashed wrote: »
    Morning!
    Just wondering if people reckon any 'night before notes' will be posted form City/Independent for Tort (or any of the other Subjects)? Or failing that, any predictions?
    Thanks!

Anybody else slowly losing their minds? I seem to somersault between "ok Im pretty prepared, good" to "what have I been doing with my time!!" about 20 times a day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 coco97

Yes office girl I think I'm going crazy 🙈 But less than two weeks 😊

Just have a tort question for professional negligence. I know solicitors came up last time so I'm concentrating on med neg but with solicitors or barristers would you still go ahead with the dunne principles? As in how much detail would you go into etc considering the q wouldn't be med related? I'm lost

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement