Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

neesie_85 wrote: »
    Did mostly the same except that I have also done Freedom of establishment, institutions, state aid and equality, I left out the case note question.

kind of trying to get a broad look at most topics.

did you cover any institutions, there is usually a question that comes up on one of them.

I didn't cover institutions. I'm hoping that I have enough there. If I am stuck for a question and the institution question is there, il just use the treaties ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

Hi all just wondering with regards to property does anyone know if covering mortgages is it just judgment mortgages you need to know out of whole topic? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Fe1r

Morning all,

The nerves are well and truly kicking in now. For EU I'm covering everything bar;

Infringement
    State aid
    Private international law

Any thoughts? Really don't have time to do anymore as its been a while since I looked over it, so after company it will effectively be like starting from scratch with EU, but am considering maybe a glance over infringement. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭neesie_85

I didn't cover institutions. I'm hoping that I have enough there. If I am stuck for a question and the institution question is there, il just use the treaties ;)

I definitely would give a it a run through before and mark all the different articles as some of the powers are spread out through the articles of the treaty at least then if you are stuck it won't take you long to find the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 count of monte cristo

Anyone out there have a constitutional grid? Puzzled about q6 on last March's paper..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Anyone out there have a constitutional grid? Puzzled about q6 on last March's paper..

I'might not going to be able to make it to the Red Cow before 1 tomorrow to hand in my Companies Acts.

If I hand it in on the morning of the exam does it take long to get them? I don't want to be half way through the exam by the time I get it back as it defeats the purpose of having it!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7 codoherty16

Hi all,

I'm sitting my first set of FE1's beginning on Thursday with Company...

Can anyone advise me as to whether I should have enough covered with these topics:

Directors
    SLP
    Restriction of Directors
    Corporate Capacity
    Winding Up
    Receivers
    Examiners
    Shareholder Protection
    Corporate Contracts

• Registered Users Posts: 8 count of monte cristo

Can take up to an hour to get them...

dashdoll wrote: »
    I'might not going to be able to make it to the Red Cow before 1 tomorroow to hand in my Companies Acts.

If I hand it in on the morning of the exam does it take long to get them? I don't want to be half way through the exam by the time I get it back as it defeats the purpose of having it!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

It was more of an opinion question to be honest. You could argue whatever you wanted. It was basically about religion in the Constitution in general and whether you thought it amounted to a lack of separation of Church and State or not.

I went on a big old rant about McQuaid influencing the Constitution, changes that have removed religious parts (like the "special relationship" with the RCC) but how it was not a secular document given the religious oaths for being a Judge or the President, the preamble, etc. You could have talked about any part of the Constitution if you could link it to religion, tbh.

Super open question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 louser1

Im totally lost! I sat five last time and was so motivated! Ive tort and company this week and I think I may be ok but EU next week will be a disaster! Ive barely touched on it! What are the chances of passing if I study straight from company til Wednesday morning. Part of me thinks I'll just throw in the towel and enjoy the few days off after Tort and Company! Help!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

louser1 wrote: »
    Im totally lost! I sat five last time and was so motivated! Ive tort and company this week and I think I may be ok but EU next week will be a disaster! Ive barely touched on it! What are the chances of passing if I study straight from company til Wednesday morning. Part of me thinks I'll just throw in the towel and enjoy the few days off after Tort and Company! Help!! :(

Have you notes done up already for EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 spaz_hawk

louser1 wrote: »

EU was my last exam last sitting. Completely sacrificed my time for EU to put in extra work on the other 3 and only looked at sample answers to EU for the 2 days or thereabouts beforehand. Answered five questions, two i had no idea about but just waffled anyway and i got 52! Definitely manageable, tends to repeat a lot pf questions but the key is answer 5 questions and give the examiner a chance to pass you!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭qwerty1991

For Tort I have learned
    Negligence principles (causation/ standard/ duty of care/ res ipsa/ remoteness)
    Vicarious Liability
    Occupiers Liability
    Trespass
    Passing off
    Liability for animals
    Nuisance.

I think thats enough but I am having such difficulty actually applying it to questions. Anyone else know the stuff but finding it hard to apply it to problem questions especially?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

I do not feel like I have enough for Tort yet. Which do people think is more useful:

Defamation or Vicarious liability or two from: passing off, defective products, liability for animals, professional negligence, another suggestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Leaving Tort until next round so have an extra day to prep for Company. Just wondering if there's anything essential I'm forgetting besides ID, exam number, pens, water/sweets?

Best of luck to everyone starting tomorrow! Hope it all goes well!

Would I be crazy to leave out the chapter on Corporate Borrowing for Company?

I know it's pretty much a guaranteed question but I just can't seem to get my head around it and all of the cases esp the retention of title stuff. I just can't seem to remember any of it. Case law overload 😢

Figsy32 wrote: »
    Leaving Tort until next round so have an extra day to prep for Company. Just wondering if there's anything essential I'm forgetting besides ID, exam number, pens, water/sweets?

Best of luck to everyone starting tomorrow! Hope it all goes well!

Are you that badly stuck for tort that you wouldn't even attempt it? If you have any work put in I'd advise making an attempt at it, ypu never know how ypu might get on. If you end up just leaving after 45 minutes then ypu still have all day to study company.

Just a thought.

I do not feel like I have enough for Tort yet. Which do people think is more useful:

Defamation or Vicarious liability or two from: passing off, defective products, liability for animals, professional negligence, another suggestion?

Between the first two vicarious liability would probably be a better choice. If you are going to choose two from the others then I'd go with passing off and liability for animals.

spaz_hawk wrote: »
    Are you that badly stuck for tort that you wouldn't even attempt it? If you have any work put in I'd advise making an attempt at it, ypu never know how ypu might get on. If you end up just leaving after 45 minutes then ypu still have all day to study company.

Just a thought.

I was never doing tort this time around. Sorry my wording must have been confusing. Very tired from the study.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 coco97

I know it's pretty much a guaranteed question but I just can't seem to get my head around it and all of the cases esp the retention of title stuff. I just can't seem to remember any of it. Case law overload 😢

I know what you mean about the ROT stuff but I'd say go over floating and fixed charges cause I think ROT were on the last 2 papers so I'd reckon charges are due a run and easier to get your head around too

• Advertisement

I'm the same, I have notes on it done but I can't really make head nor tail of it. Gonna leave it out.

I've done:
    Directors Duties
    S150 Restriction Orders
    SLP/Incorporation
    Authority/Ultra Vires
    Realisation of Assets
    Winding Up
    Capital Maintenance
    Shares/Share Transfer
    S205/Rule in F + H

Reckon that should be okay and if it's not then so be it.

I was never doing tort this time around. Sorry my wording must have been confusing. Very tired from the study.

Sorry i just assumed! The companies acts if you're bringing them, i always have my watch on the desk so i don't have to look up for the one in the hall, a bag to leave all the stuff you won't be bringing into the exam hall (notes etc).

I'm the same, I have notes on it done but I can't really make head nor tail of it. Gonna leave it out.

I've done:
    Directors Duties
    S150 Restriction Orders
    SLP/Incorporation
    Authority/Ultra Vires
    Realisation of Assets
    Winding Up
    Capital Maintenance
    Shares/Share Transfer
    S205/Rule in F + H

Reckon that should be okay and if it's not then so be it.

Thanks for that. I'm going to leave it out too..was getting too confused and bogged down with it.

I'm covering

SLP
    Corporate Authority/UV
    Directors Duties
    Restriction of directors
    Types of Directors
    Minority Shareholder Protection
    Share Transfer
    Distribution of Assets

Looks a bit on the skimpy side now but it will have to do!

Thanks for that. I'm going to leave it out too..was getting too confused and bogged down with it.

I'm covering

SLP
    Corporate Authority/UV
    Directors Duties
    Restriction of directors
    Types of Directors
    Minority Shareholder Protection
    Share Transfer
    Distribution of Assets

Looks a bit on the skimpy side now but it will have to do!

That looks good to me anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

Panicking ;( is there anyone on here who can say if this is possible...only finishing notes for company tonight ...am familiar with some of the topics is it possible to learn off by Thursday ..feel like giving up already ...

Mileyt wrote: »
    Panicking ;( is there anyone on here who can say if this is possible...only finishing notes for company tonight ...am familiar with some of the topics is it possible to learn off by Thursday ..feel like giving up already ...

100% possible. Just prioritise. Things like Directors' Duties, Corporate Borrowing, SLP and Realisation of assets nearly always come up so focus on them first. You can get a massive amount learned in a day and a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭jdbarry

Has anyone stayed in the Ibis for the exams before? Is it much hassle to walk to the Red Cow from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 prettylamp

Typical last minute thing - went to look for my letter from the Law Soc that we're meant to bring with us and it's nowhere to be found! I know they only occasionally check it but what should I do?

P.S. You can walk from the IBIS to the red cow in around 15 mins using the overpass beside the Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Legalseagull

coco97 wrote: »
    I know what you mean about the ROT stuff but I'd say go over floating and fixed charges cause I think ROT were on the last 2 papers so I'd reckon charges are due a run and easier to get your head around too

Second that - the tutor in Independent suggested ignoring ROT's. Definitely worth learning the rest as a fixed/floating charge problem question would be dead simple. Even if you just knew how to recognise them, and then just the Woolcomber's case and Siebe Gorma, Spectrum and Keenan Bros for Book Debts.

That's 4 cases, a quick read through, and possibly an extra question in the bank!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Legalseagull

Guys for anyone doing these exams for the first time can I make a suggestion...the most important this is to get 5 questions down! I'm repeating 2 exams because I fecked up my timing and only got 4 questions in each. A poor 5th would have got me the 50. It's a killer! To pass the exam you only need to get 50% in each question, but if you only do 4 questions you've got to get 60%+ in each (bad math?). I'm hoping not to make the same mistake this time around!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement