Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Iceman101

the question on directors referred to the fiduciary duties owed by a director, all that needed to be addressed here was circumstances where he owes a fiduciary duty to sh's, creditors and employees, I read an exam report that Courtney wrote a few years ago and he said that if the question refers to FIDUCIARY duties, then the duties to a company e.g. care skill and diligence are not relevant. I think it was a straight-forward paper, I wouldn't be happy if I had gone off the old Act without having had an educated guess that conflicting topics wouldn't arise however, i think it was a cop out on his behalf to completely omit ultra vires, shareholders protection and remedies AND corporate authority, while it was foreseeable given that we could answer post or pre 14 I dont think it was necessarily fair. Best of luck to everyone sitting property.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭OfficeGirl2015

Iceman101 wrote: »
    the question on directors referred to the fiduciary duties owed by a director, all that needed to be addressed here was circumstances where he owes a fiduciary duty to sh's, creditors and employees, I read an exam report that Courtney wrote a few years ago and he said that if the question refers to FIDUCIARY duties, then the duties to a company e.g. care skill and diligence are not relevant. I think it was a straight-forward paper, I wouldn't be happy if I had gone off the old Act without having had an educated guess that conflicting topics wouldn't arise however, i think it was a cop out on his behalf to completely omit ultra vires, shareholders protection and remedies AND corporate authority, while it was foreseeable given that we could answer post or pre 14 I dont think it was necessarily fair. Best of luck to everyone sitting property.

I acknowledged that he Only wanted fiduciary but mentioned the others as well anyway - something had to come of all that learning off!! So annoyed shareholders remedies, uv and authority didn't come up :( not a bad paper, but not an easy one, if you studied the material thoroughly!

I acknowledged that he Only wanted fiduciary but mentioned the others as well anyway - something had to come of all that learning off!! So annoyed shareholders remedies, uv and authority didn't come up :( not a bad paper, but not an easy one, if you studied the material thoroughly!

you wont lose marks if you mentioned them, they give out about people writing everything they know about topics, but thats aimed more at people who don't address the question, nothing wrong with throwing in the other duties on the side. Anyone else finding the red cow hotter than the sun?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 PorthawGlen

Yes it's unbelievable how hot it is! Can't keep the A/C on because it louder than a stampede...

Aye, it's bad alright!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Kcookies2015

Company was so do-able if my head had not exploding with umpteen other law related case names and rules! Literally sat there pulling teeth for a 5th question! New act shall be getting visited in March! Choice of baking in heat or deafened by air con in the red cow makes property study so manageable!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Christy_C

Do we think interlocutory injunctions might come up this time around for equity? Or if I covered the mareva injunction and aton piller would I be okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Didi2013

Hi Christy_C, I won't advise that. Try an cover Interlocutory - focus on the Campus Oil area and how courts have moved away from it. I think this type of question is due as well as an aton piller. Mareva was up last year and was well answered, so unlike to be repeated so soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sophiehatter

Hi Guys,
    Hope everyone is hanging in there! Quick question about landlord and tenant law I have just realised I'm not sure about; does the Landlord and Tenant Amendment Act 1980 ONLY apply to non residential tenancies, or can a residential tenancy also fall under the definition of tenement as such? Sorry if this is a stupid question. Thanks for your help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Lawexe2012

How is every one feeling about property tommorow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Lawexe2012 wrote: »
    How is every one feeling about property tommorow?

Finding it hard to get into my head. Long couple of days doing two in a row.

Focusing on Succession, Adverse Possession and Easements mainly at the moment to try and guarantee 4 good questions hopefully. Doing ownership, family property, licences and a brief bit on Landlord and Tenant so hopefully 1 of those 4 should come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 PorthawGlen

I've just been reading past answers from Griffith on Easements and the last 6 papers don't mention the common rules only easements on the LCLRA rules i.e. S33,35,40. Does anyone know is this whats expected in the answer? Head is complete mush at this stage. Cheers.

Figsy32 wrote: »
    Finding it hard to get into my head. Long couple of days doing two in a row.

Focusing on Succession, Adverse Possession and Easements mainly at the moment to try and guarantee 4 good questions hopefully. Doing ownership, family property, licences and a brief bit on Landlord and Tenant so hopefully 1 of those 4 should come up.

Same I think exhaustion has taken over! I'm doing succession adverse possession licences ownership family property and coownership!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

i'm doing succession, adverse possession, easements, family property and co-ownership.

Based on the last ten exams, there is only a 10% chance that this selection will not yield 5 questions.

Dear God, be kind

🙠please god!!! Just hoping for a fair paper (that happens to contain the areas I have studied) not too much to ask for....😂

• Registered Users Posts: 41 spaz_hawk

Today was such a write off study wise. Had such great intentions but the fatigue has well and truly set in after only one exam!

spaz_hawk wrote: »
    Today was such a write off study wise. Had such great intentions but the fatigue has well and truly set in after only one exam!

Has everyone else's sleep patterns just gone awall with the exams?

Has everyone else's sleep patterns just gone awall with the exams?

slightly

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tiger_cub

Hey pals,

I hadn't realised it was FE1 time again already until I saw a post on FB today. Just checking in on you all and wishing you all luck!

Trust me when I say these exams are the hardest you will ever do. I am currently working abroad in an international law firm working under lawyers from UK, USA, Canada, South Africa, Australia and NZ and local lawyers (won't say where - the world is a small place and the legal world even smaller!). Local lawyers here qualify at 23/24. I don't think it's even possible for Irish lawyers to qualify that young, no one jumps through hoops like the Law Society makes us do. No one has to complete FE1s - UK have LPC but it is similar to a full time college course. You don't work a full time job like most of us, just because the FE1s are so such a costly process etc. Even the infamous US Bar exams are one sitting, it's next to impossible to do FE1s in 1 sitting. We have it really tough in Ireland, it's a small job market but a hugely popular career choice. Be kind to yourself, you will get there eventually. You've already worked so hard to get to the point of actually sitting in the Red Cow, keep going.

Broke my FE1's into 3-2-2 sittings as was working full time and my top tips would be:
    1) Sleep - trust me you are much better going into an exam with a clear head and being well rested. If you have two days in a row, eat and nap after day one exam before starting to study for next day. If you are staying in the hotels get out for some fresh hair and a stretch of the legs before bed that night if you can. I took my runners and used to do hill sprints up and down the ramp to the Luas looking like a demented unshowered crazy woman. Alternatively you could walk to McDonalds for ice cream like a normal person! Regardless, 15 mins out of the crammed hotel room will make you a new person.
    2)Cover as much as you can - can't emphasis this enough. First sitting I did bare minimum of topics, managed to pass but the exams were tough and I struggled formulating answers. Last two sittings I covered most of the topics in subjects (company, eu, constit. & equity). For constit. I think I covered every topic. Actually writing down answers in exams came a lot easier for these 4 exams because I understood the subjects inside out and wasn't trying to mould the questions into a particular chapter of the manual. Really do stay for all 3 hours, and just write write write. I wrote about company law in tort and somehow passed.5 questions always, even if bullet points!
    3)No overthinking - Take 10 minutes to talk to friends/family etc after about how it went but then park it and be done with it. Keep the exam paper incase you may need it for a repeat, but just know that you done the best you could on the day and nothing will change your result now. Re-energise and focus on your next exam.
    4) SUPPORT SYSTEMS - This is the most important one. These are the most mentally challenging exams you are probably ever going to do. This board is invaluable, you are all in the same boat. Help each other out. Look out for people in the red cow, give that person who looks close to tears a smile and ask if they are okay. The race is long and it really is only with yourself. Those selfish mind game playing people never make it to the top, so you will eventually pass them out. Pass around legislation, share exam grid, ask questions of your friends who have done them previously etc. Be dependent on your friends and family, accept dinners being cooked and laundry being done if you are lucky enough to have these kind of offers. Explain to your roomies that you will have to skip your cleaning week for these few weeks, they will understand.

Keep powering through peeps. Do the best you can do. Deep breathes. Be kind to yourself and one another. YOU GOT THIS!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Christy_C

Didi2013 wrote: »
    Hi Christy_C, I won't advise that. Try an cover Interlocutory - focus on the Campus Oil area and how courts have moved away from it. I think this type of question is due as well as an aton piller. Mareva was up last year and was well answered, so unlike to be repeated so soon.

Thanks pal. I'm going to cover mareva also just in case. Although yes unlikely to reappear so soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 spaz_hawk

Thoughts on property? Pretty fair paper i thought but I wasn't overly happy with how i got on. Anyone else in the same boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Thoughts on property? Pretty fair paper i thought but I wasn't overly happy with how i got on. Anyone else in the same boat?

Think I could be caught out tbh. More to do with me than the exam though I think. Couldn't get anything into my head between company and this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Was a mare for me - no family property or no easements

A fair paper but with a lot of room for mistakes to be made particularly in the co-ownership question. A lot of detail and not much of it relevant to the answer

A fair paper but with a lot of room for mistakes to be made particularly in the co-ownership question. A lot of detail and not much of it relevant to the answer

I felt there a lot of details, perhaps to throw us? I really liked this paper, I got very lucky in that 6 of my 11 topics came up however got messy with my construction and train of thought etc

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I'm a bit annoyed by the Residential Tenancy Act Q. Answered totally on legislation and didn't even know that it asked for case law until it was pointed out to me by someone later. I didn't even think to check for a one liner on the next page! I don't even know any case law for the act!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lawchancer

doing all eight fe1s in one sitting next spring , well thats the plan, just looking for real life stories of people who did same and any info that may help me. Most people are advising against it but i am determined to proceed. Surely it s not that remarkable or foolhardy ? I mean I have 7 months of study to pass them all . I have a bcl btw. What do you folks think ? ( i suppose all the negativity i am getting is making me doubt myself really ). Also, i do not have a tc in place but having all fe1s should help, yes ?

I did all eight FE1s in March 2015 - I took 8 weeks off work beforehand and I passed 6 (EU was a write off but I hadn't put near as much effort into it out of pure dislike of the subject matter/Equity was my own fault - it was my 5th exam and I was too lazy the weekend before it and still managed 43). Everyone's reaction in the run up was rather negative, but with more dedication (or time) I definitely could have passed the eight. Seven months is more than enough time.
    I managed to get a contract before having any FE1s, but having them is undoubtedly helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭missindigo123

Any advice for constitutional? Feel like I'm drowing with constitutional and equity still to go!!
    I'm not as worried about equity for some reason! For constitutional, I'm covering SOP, AG/President, trial in due course of law with a focus on unconstitutionally obtained evidence, unenumerated rights and property but feel this isn't nearly enough!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭clocks

For Property all I'm covering is: 1. Succession, 2. Finding, 3. Adverse Possession, 4. Family Property, 5. Easements, 6. Licences and 8. Co Ownership. Would that be enough? With these I would be able to answer 5 or more questions for the last 4 years.

Also, I've asked this before, can I write the section numbers on that I put on the succession act?

Thanks!

I only covered Succession, Easements, Co-Ownership, Landlord & Tenant and Adverse Possession. Answered 5 questions out of those in Oct 2015. No question on easements at this sitting. The paper was fairly straightforward, the AP question was a critical essay as opposed to a case problem which it usually is. Q1, a descriptive essay on title registration seems to repeat itself and looks fairly handy. I'd plump for that if I was doing it again.

I personally feel that knowing each topic in greater detail, reading and knowing the cases well is a better strategy than dissipating effort over a larger number of topics. One is prepared for whatever slant is put on the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭clocks

I felt there a lot of details, perhaps to throw us? I really liked this paper, I got very lucky in that 6 of my 11 topics came up however got messy with my construction and train of thought etc

Do mean you a lot of detail in the case given or required in the answer ? It covered more or less the whole of the co-ownership topic: the existence of a joint tenancy, change to a hybrid TIC the rights of co-owners and forcing sale. I was a bit fuzzy on some of the details on the severance, would have liked that one could carry a Land Act 2009 in !

I felt like the second paragraph summarised the questions to be answered and hopefully the fact there were more than one of them a huge amount of detail won't be needed. Best of luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement