Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Anyone watching the rugby?

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭OfficeGirl2015

Of course the rugby is on, Anything but revision!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭FE1 student

Me too !!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

How does this sound for EU?

Hoping to cover

Direct Effect
    Preliminary References
    Judicial Review
    Member State Liability
    Free Movements
    A101 and A102
    Case Note

Is this too little?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Iceman101

dashdoll wrote: »
    How does this sound for EU?

Hoping to cover

Direct Effect
    Preliminary References
    Judicial Review
    Member State Liability
    Free Movements
    A101 and A102
    Case Note

Is this too little?

Prelim ref's and jr can come up as one question so I'd count that as one topic to cover yourself. So too can the freedoms (capital, workers, establishment, services) with citizenship so i'd throw that in if you can. I personally wouldn't go in without Supremacy (it' very short) and Fundamental Rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 DaveKit

Does anyone know wha the rules are regarding EU law and Black stones.??

Can you write on the tabs you use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭lawgirl23

DaveKit wrote: »
    Does anyone know wha the rules are regarding EU law and Black stones.??

Can you write on the tabs you use?

No, you can't write on the tabs. You can't write anything anywhere except your exam number on the front! Highlighting only!

In march a poor girl spent 20 minutes plus before the exam trying to cut out tabs that she had taped to the book because the lady wouldn't take the book with tabs that had the numbers written on them!!

FEfun wrote: »
    Hey guys can I ask what everyone is doing for Constitutional this week ?

Also what are people thinking about the marriage referendum for the paper

I'm covering JR, SofP, president, trial in due course/admin of justice, referenda, and general look at family rights. I think there will be a reference to the marriage ref but i think it may arose as an obscure question ie the development of the constitution in line with society or something?? What are you covering?? I don't know if I have enough but no motivation to get more revision in 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DaveKit

lawgirl23 wrote: »
    No, you can't write on the tabs. You can't write anything anywhere except your exam number on the front! Highlighting only!

In march a poor girl spent 20 minutes plus before the exam trying to cut out tabs that she had taped to the book because the lady wouldn't take the book with tabs that had the numbers written on them!!

Thanks for the swift reply. I better get highlighting those pages so!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭oraghabd

Does anybody have any idea as to what the pass rates are like for the different subjects? Have heard that Property can be up to 80%, Equity to 90% while others can be down around the 50% mark?

Serious case of looking for hope down as many avenues as possible!

Yeah, would really be interested in knowing this. Or of how lenient the examiners can be? As misread a question on the tort paper but was happy enough with the rest of the paper...

Can't imagine that the pass rate for const is all that high.

Anyone ever heard of someone passing from a recheck either?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 PorthawGlen

oraghabd wrote: »
    Yeah, would really be interested in knowing this. Or of how lenient the examiners can be? As misread a question on the tort paper but was happy enough with the rest of the paper...

I had two 48% papers rechecked in march sitting and they brought me down to 47%! The cost of a recheck is as much as the exam which is crazy also!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 bivo87

Hi guys,

Really thinking already I'm doomed for equity on Tuesday!! Trying to narrow down now.. Thinking of covering all equitable remedies, express trusts, charitable trusts, and trustees? Maybe Mortis causa and quistclose in bullet point form.. Would I be covered with these do ye think??

I'm the same with equity! The topics are so long and I failed it last time so I feel like I have a bit I mental block and can't get anything into my head.. Going to try to cover express trusts (3 certainties and completely constituted trust inc the exemptions strong v bird etc), resulting trusts, purpose trusts, promissory estoppel, specific performance/ rectification, trusteeship, and undue influence.

I'm leaving out injunctions (because I hate them) and constructive trusts, and il bullet point either tracing or secret trusts. And hope for the best!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 spaz_hawk

I've heard a lot of positive stories about rechecks, particularly if it's your last exam left and you're on the way to blackhall. A friend of mine had her constitutional exam in march rechecked, went from 45%to 50% even yhough she was surprised she got as high as 45% first time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Tired_Man

bivo87 wrote: »
    I'm the same with equity! The topics are so long and I failed it last time so I feel like I have a bit I mental block and can't get anything into my head.. Going to try to cover express trusts (3 certainties and completely constituted trust inc the exemptions strong v bird etc), resulting trusts, purpose trusts, promissory estoppel, specific performance/ rectification, trusteeship, and undue influence.

I'm leaving out injunctions (because I hate them) and constructive trusts, and il bullet point either tracing or secret trusts. And hope for the best!!

For equity I'm covering every bit of injunctions, specific performance + rectification, undue influence, estoppel, everything in express trusts, secret trusts and trusteeship.

That is sufficient to give at the very least five questions in all of the last 12 papers.

On top of that I'm going to have a sketch knowledge of quistclose trusts and in Re Osaba.

Hopefully that'll be alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭shy-tall-knight

I'm covering JR, SofP, president, trial in due course/admin of justice, referenda, and general look at family rights. I think there will be a reference to the marriage ref but i think it may arose as an obscure question ie the development of the constitution in line with society or something?? What are you covering?? I don't know if I have enough but no motivation to get more revision in 😕

I'd definitely have a look at DPP v JC relating to the change in admissibility of unconstitutionally obtained evidence, pretty major decision from this year. Could see it easily as a casenote or even a full question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 louser1

I had company rechecked last time, I felt I had done good enough paper with 4 good questions and one ok. Got brought up from 43 to 50!!! Couldn't believe it.

However I've had others (criminal and contract) rechecked where I was over 45 in both and they didn't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 codoherty16

What are people covering for criminal? :)

I straight up have ignored the courts and practice and procedure. I KNOW they are huge but I just can't be dealing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭lawgirl23

- Murder/Manslaughter
    - Classification of Crime
    - Complicity
    - NFOAP Act
    - Sexual Offences
    - Theft and Fraud Offences
    - Perjury/Contempt
    - Public Order
    - Inchoate
    - Arrest and Detention
    - Defences

• Registered Users Posts: 13 larryloffy

Re: EU Law

Does anyone has a sample answer for the case note on Pringle v Government of Ireland?

Came up on the last 4 papers and I can't find a good recap of the case.

Sept 2014 (Q8); April 2014 (Q4); March 2014 (Q4) and formed the basis of the question in March 2015 (Q3).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

larryloffy wrote: »
    Re: EU Law

Does anyone has a sample answer for the case note on Pringle v Government of Ireland?

Came up on the last 4 papers and I can't find a good recap of the case.

Sept 2014 (Q8); April 2014 (Q4); March 2014 (Q4) and formed the basis of the question in March 2015 (Q3).

+1 if anybody has it to pass on I would be eternally grateful!

I'd definitely have a look at DPP v JC relating to the change in admissibility of unconstitutionally obtained evidence, pretty major decision from this year. Could see it easily as a casenote or even a full question.

Will do :) I am hoping for a nice casenote question thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

Eu
    Does anyone know what topics are cross examined in Eu...say for example there is no point studying say equality without knowing for eg. Union citizenship...trying to cut down topics so far doing too many I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭EthanSS

To echo what Figsy32 and Larryloffy, I would be beyond grateful for a sample answer on Pringle v Ireland. I would not be surprised to see it rear its ugly head on our exam this week.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

EU I am covering-

Institutions
    Sources
    EU criminal law
    DE/Supremacy
    MS Liability
    Judicial Review
    Preliminary Ref Procedure
    Freedoms
    Union Citizenship
    Competition Law

Leaving out the casenote

Hoping that's enough and if its not, it'll have to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭vickyplumx

is anyone else freaking about eu?! I feel like it's ok then I look at exam papers and they are so tricky! Also the volume of stuff to learn is really getting to me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

vickyplumx wrote:
    is anyone else freaking about eu?! I feel like it's ok then I look at exam papers and they are so tricky! Also the volume of stuff to learn is really getting to me

Hi I learn a topic then look at question have haven't a clue......0-0 thinking of leaving out
    Equality
    Union citizenship and state aid
    Would anyone disagree and say any of these are important or come up regularly with another topic???
    Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Mileyt wrote: »
    Hi I learn a topic then look at question have haven't a clue......0-0 thinking of leaving out
    Equality
    Union citizenship and state aid
    Would anyone disagree and say any of these are important or come up regularly with another topic???
    Thanks a mill

Union Citizenship is known to come up with free movement of workers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 spaz_hawk

In criminal is anyone leaving out certain defences or is it advisable to cover them all to be safe?

• Advertisement

S. 2 assault in the NFOATPA 1997 puts the max fine for the offence at £1,500

My notes from a couple of years ago put the max fine at @1,900

Can anyone confirm if this is correct? It seems like almost too round of a figure

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement