Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Morris_fe1s

Has anyone got the independent comp law rev notes that might be willing to trade it for an alternative subject or other info please?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 penny1500

Has anyone got the independent comp law rev notes that might be willing to trade it for an alternative subject or other info please?
    Have asked a few friends Morris...will let you know if anyone gets back to me...do you have anything for Criminal, Equity or Contract? Doing Property too but think I know what to do with that one!!! Hope the study is going ok... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LaLuciole

Milkypops wrote: »
    I have the one for equity....send me a pm with your email and il send it on to u :) anything for company by any chance?

Milkypops is there any chance you could send me that too? Would be such a help!:) also does anyone know what the story is with bringing in older editions of the companies acts by McCann and Courtney? I have the 2008 edition(not the student one as far as I know) but it says the 2009 student edition on the law society website?

Hope the study is going well for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

LaLuciole wrote: »
    Milkypops is there any chance you could send me that too? Would be such a help!:) also does anyone know what the story is with bringing in older editions of the companies acts by McCann and Courtney? I have the 2008 edition(not the student one as far as I know) but it says the 2009 student edition on the law society website?

I asked them could I bring in the 2012 edition because on the site it says 2009, this is the reply I got back:

"Any edition of this book is permitted into the examination provided it is the student edition of this publication."

Maybe email them or ring them yourself to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Milkypops

LaLuciole wrote: »

Ya send me on your email in pm and and il forward it on to you. any chance you have one for company?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

Can anyone tell me what they're covering for criminal or contract please?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

For company I know SLP, ultra vires, directors, shareholder protection and corporate borrowing well.

Also have a grasp on receivership, examinership, company meetings and company documentation.

Wondering if its worth doing anything else. I know liquidation is big but the q's usually seem to be advise a liquidation on priority of charges which I can answer with corporate borrowing

sophya wrote: »
    For company I know SLP, ultra vires, directors, shareholder protection and corporate borrowing well.

Also have a grasp on receivership, examinership, company meetings and company documentation.

Wondering if its worth doing anything else. I know liquidation is big but the q's usually seem to be advise a liquidation on priority of charges which I can answer with corporate borrowing

Id do corporate authority aswell...it hasnt come up in 2 sittings so might be do a round and its very quick to learn....for liquidation you could get a problem question on s.213(e) on inability to pay debts in which case proving insolvency, abuse of process, discretion of the courts, getting an injunction against the petition etc....theres only a few cases for that so id learn that too. have u looked at share transfer(pre-emption rights etc)

on another note are u doing tort? if so any chance you have an uptodate grid, turns out the one im working off of doesnt have some of the topics marked in :/

Id do corporate authority aswell...it hasnt come up in 2 sittings so might be do a round and its very quick to learn....for liquidation you could get a problem question on s.213(e) on inability to pay debts in which case proving insolvency, abuse of process, discretion of the courts, getting an injunction against the petition etc....theres only a few cases for that so id learn that too. have u looked at share transfer(pre-emption rights etc)

on another note are u doing tort? if so any chance you have an uptodate grid, turns out the one im working off of doesnt have some of the topics marked in :/

Thanks. I'll glance over s.213(e) and corporate authority. Don't have a tort grid unfortunately. Doing it in march.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 EUSTY500

Ok, probably a stupid question but I'm doing contract next week & the Law society website says I can bring along a copy of the sale of goods act as long as I submit it to be checked 24hrs before the exam.
    Will a printout of the act from the government website be good enough or do I have to source an actual official publication?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 sally01

EUSTY500 wrote: »
    Ok, probably a stupid question but I'm doing contract next week & the Law society website says I can bring along a copy of the sale of goods act as long as I submit it to be checked 24hrs before the exam.
    Will a printout of the act from the government website be good enough or do I have to source an actual official publication?
    Thanks.

It has to be the official one. If you go to the government publications website there's a phone number to order legislation. All you need is your debit card. They're pretty quick usually receive it a few days later. Definitely the easiest way to go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LaLuciole

chops018 wrote: »
    I asked them could I bring in the 2012 edition because on the site it says 2009, this is the reply I got back:

"Any edition of this book is permitted into the examination provided it is the student edition of this publication."

Maybe email them or ring them yourself to be sure.

I rang them earlier and was told the same thing, year doesn't matter she just emphasised the fact that it has to be the student edition! Pity we can't bring in the normal one, all the case names and little descriptions of what's going on in each section are nicely set out :P

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Before I ask myself,has anyone had any issue with more modern EU legislation being used?I have the Blackstone 2013-2014 edition,but the one listed is 2012-2013.Hopefully it's the same as with the Companies Act and there won't be any issue!

Can anyone tell me what they are covering for company please. I have like 15 chapters in from of me and obviously feel like I can't cover or memorise them all. If there are 9 chapters that anyone would pick what would they be?

I was thinking:

Directors
    Coporate personality
    Corporate contracts
    Ultra vires
    Restriction and disqualification
    Corporate borrowings
    Retention of title
    Disposition (winding up too big)
    Receivership and auditors

Do you guys reckon I should get 5 questions from these?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mirm

Hey does anyone have the constitutional exam guide from independent colleges? Please Please! I have equity as a swap! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CRM1

Hey does anyone have a sample answer for legislative protection afforded to cohabitants? Just want to make sure I've all the sections covered, have got sample answers for contract, equity, tort and constitutional in return?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JohnRyan777

Has anyone got an up-to-date constitutional grid? I can trade for contract, equity or criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

Any one finding Equity hard to get through? I dunno what it is, it's probably one of the more recent ones I've studied but really struggling with it! Head is fried with it today!

Question about the letter we need to bring for the exams. I'm assuming its the one that came with the map for the Red Cow and list of legislation you can bring in? And is it for every exam you have to bring it?

sophya wrote: »
    Question about the letter we need to bring for the exams. I'm assuming its the one that came with the map for the Red Cow and list of legislation you can bring in? And is it for every exam you have to bring it?

Yeah your supposed to but they're not that strict. I forgot my letter for one of the exams before and they didn't mind once I had my ID.

• Advertisement

Any one finding Equity hard to get through? I dunno what it is, it's probably one of the more recent ones I've studied but really struggling with it! Head is fried with it today!

Equity can be very easily narrowed down by looking at the previous questions on a topic. I have said this numerous times, there seems to be only a few different types of questions that the examiner asks and indeed can ask for the equity topics (most of them anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭michelle2000

Hi morning all does anyone have march 11, march 12 or oct 12 worked answers that they could pretty please send on for contract? i have worked answers for most subjects up untill oct 11 in return if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭michelle2000

Can anyone tell me what they're covering for criminal or contract please?

Hi there;

Criminal; pretty much everything bar all the stuff about the courts, bail, arrests and definition of a crime ( I am doing the categories of crime arrestable/non arrestable) He mixes alot so i think the majority of stuff needs to be at least glanced at. Im not focusing as much on offences against property (i know its a banker but with all other topics done, im not a fan of all the legislation in that one!)

Contract; ugh where to start with contract. Again covering the majority of the course; leaving out illegal and void contracts ( the problem qs that come up on that i find sticky enough) also leaving out good faith insurance contracts as came up as a full essay this year. Doing the EU legislation question/harmonization and PRAYING that that comes up!

Hope that helps!

How does that shape up with what others are doing? Could I cut back at all?

Has anyone any tips for contract? working through exam papers today and my mind goes blank whenever i read a problem q; theres always a LOT going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cooper1234

Does anyone know what the story is about handing in permitted legislation? Have company on wed morning so do I hand it into the red cow on the Tuesday or wait until the Wednesday? And it's the red cow not the law society we hand it i to right?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 sally01

cooper1234 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the story is about handing in permitted legislation? Have company on wed morning so do I hand it into the red cow on the Tuesday or wait until the Wednesday? And it's the red cow not the law society we hand it i to right?

Ye they advise u to hand it in the morning before. Then it will be out on your desk when you go in to the company exam. However I know from last sitting that some people don't hand it in until the morning of the exam and supposedly it gets out to u fairly quickly, but I've no personal experience of this.

Ye in the red cow. They have a little desk set up down where the exams take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 filosoraptor

Before I ask myself,has anyone had any issue with more modern EU legislation being used?I have the Blackstone 2013-2014 edition,but the one listed is 2012-2013.Hopefully it's the same as with the Companies Act and there won't be any issue!

I have the exact same & I didn't bother trying to contact them about it. I really don't foresee it being a problem, I'd say they just omitted to update the letter that they send out.

On a side note, does anybody have any up-to-date Examiners reports from say the last 2 EU sittings?? I have material in every other subject I can swap if needs be

Hi there;

Criminal; pretty much everything bar all the stuff about the courts, bail, arrests and definition of a crime ( I am doing the categories of crime arrestable/non arrestable) He mixes alot so i think the majority of stuff needs to be at least glanced at. Im not focusing as much on offences against property (i know its a banker but with all other topics done, im not a fan of all the legislation in that one!)

Contract; ugh where to start with contract. Again covering the majority of the course; leaving out illegal and void contracts ( the problem qs that come up on that i find sticky enough) also leaving out good faith insurance contracts as came up as a full essay this year. Doing the EU legislation question/harmonization and PRAYING that that comes up!

Hope that helps!

How does that shape up with what others are doing? Could I cut back at all?

Has anyone any tips for contract? working through exam papers today and my mind goes blank whenever i read a problem q; theres always a LOT going on!

Offer, acceptance consideration generally for a problem question so know them well. Privity is a subject the examiner has researched. Frustration, contractual terms and exemption clauses are also areas I'm focusing on

Does anyone have tort sample answers for october 2012.....have loads to swap for just ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CRM1

Does anyone have tort sample answers for october 2012.....have loads to swap for just ask :)

I have independent colleges up to 2010 if they're any good to you?

• Advertisement

Where is the best place to park in Wednesday for these exams? I know it sounds silly but I am travelling from Kilkenny... Will there be parking available at the Red Cow Hotel itself..?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement