Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 donners87

FEfun wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me where in the city manual is Judicial Review ? I literally think I've gone front to back in the Constitutional manual and cannot see it anywhere ? Wondering if they left it out or how I have missed it ?

I dont think it is ever asked as a question. It's a procedure, rather than a substantive issue of Constitutional law.
    the chapter on Locis Standi, Mootness and Justiciability relates to JR, but those areas need to be dealt with on their own.
    Same, JR is related to the presumption of constitutionality, and deference - but they, too, need to be dealt with alone.
    you could bring it up as part of the unenumerated right to Access the Courts, but that too deserves its own section....
    I just don't think it's amenable to a chapter of its own. And, even if there were, it wouldn't be a chapter you would prepare for the Exam, as so few questions would call for a discussion of JR....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭lawgirl23

What did everyone write for q1 b? I threw in proportionality, cooperation, subsidiarity and supremacy. It was my last question and a pure stab in the dark!

I did proportionality, subsidiarity and conferral. Had supremacy in my notes but didn't end up putting it in the question...

What did people say for 5B about the €2 tax on wine...?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 OscarBN

Dont be too hard on yourself and dont be over-analysing! I passed my first round with relatively good marks and only so so answers. I went to a revision course for my next two and failed and got 50% in the other! They are so horrendously unpredictable, just do your best and forget about them then! You have probably done way better than you think!

Thanks a million, it's been an experience that's for sure, I thought work hard and pass, it's more like work hard then try win the lotto Lol! They're a different species.
    Best of luck to everyone sitting con and contract we're nearly there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Raquel123

Hi guys,

So my first 3 went down the drain, was not prepared & pretty sure I failed all 3.

Anyway, my question is: Should I buy recent FE1 manuals if I already have notes from my degree? I also have law books. I just want to know how much do they differ from notes & if they are worth the money? Are they more exam focussed? Any tips on which manuals to avoid & which to buy?

I'm planning to sit all 8 in March. I have already started studying as this was a serious wake up call & I need to get my act together. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FEar1

Hi all. Glad to hear EU was acceptable for a change. Lets hope Constitutional follows suit!

Speaking of which, what do people reckon is due a run out?

I'm covering SoP, Fair Procedures, JR, Trial in Due Course of Law, Education, Property, Equality, Family and Interpretation and (more briefly) AG, President, Privacy, Earning Livelihood, Effects of Finding of Unconstitutionality, Right to Die.

Would be delighted to reduce this list or be more sure of what worth zoning in on so, needless to say, any suggestions welcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

lawgirl23 wrote: »
    What did people say for 5B about the €2 tax on wine...?

Said it was indirect protection under 110(2) and UK Beer and Wine, I analysed it under 110(1) as well just to show it didn't come under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 stilk08

Said it was indirect protection under 110(2) and UK Beer and Wine, I analysed it under 110(1) as well just to show it didn't come under it.

said exactly the same

• Registered Users Posts: 16 COH1234

I also wrote a few paragraphs on direct effect but most of my answer was based on state liability as I thought it was also based around the compensation angle but I don't think he could penalise you for either or well hopefully! 🙈

Hi guys in your time please give me sone advice. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Raquel123 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

So my first 3 went down the drain, was not prepared & pretty sure I failed all 3.

Anyway, my question is: Should I buy recent FE1 manuals if I already have notes from my degree? I also have law books. I just want to know how much do they differ from notes & if they are worth the money? Are they more exam focussed? Any tips on which manuals to avoid & which to buy?

I'm planning to sit all 8 in March. I have already started studying as this was a serious wake up call & I need to get my act together. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

Hi Racquel.

Yes, buy the most updated manuals you can. They are consolidated and cover the Law Society recommended syllabus. College notes although useful for supplementing notes lack the consolidation and structure you need for covering the syllabus. I have opted for Independent Colleges manual for the 6 exams I have done so far and can't really fault them. Also if you can afford it do some of the courses in Independent or get hold of the lecture cds especially for the bigger topics like EU and Constitutional.

Can I ask why you are going to sit 8? Have you a Training Contract that means you have to have them all passed by March 16? If not, I would say you're mad to try and sit all 8. Depending on your circumstances re work etc I would recommend you maybe sit 5 max and make sure you get them as opposed to trying to sit 8 and making half arsed attempts due to mental fatigue and risk being back at square one.

Everyone is different though. 8 is not impossible. Worth scrolling up through the comments on this thread and reading stories about people who have attempted all 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Tired_Man

smeal wrote: »
    Hi Racquel.

Yes, buy the most updated manuals you can. They are consolidated and cover the Law Society recommended syllabus. College notes although useful for supplementing notes lack the consolidation and structure you need for covering the syllabus. I have opted for Independent Colleges manual for the 6 exams I have done so far and can't really fault them. Also if you can afford it do some of the courses in Independent or get hold of the lecture cds especially for the bigger topics like EU and Constitutional.

Can I ask why you are going to sit 8? Have you a Training Contract that means you have to have them all passed by March 16? If not, I would say you're mad to try and sit all 8. Depending on your circumstances re work etc I would recommend you maybe sit 5 max and make sure you get them as opposed to trying to sit 8 and making half arsed attempts due to mental fatigue and risk being back at square one.

Everyone is different though. 8 is not impossible. Worth scrolling up through the comments on this thread and reading stories about people who have attempted all 8.

I would agree with everything Smeal says there Racquel. If it is a matter of having a training contract waiting for you the following September the best thing is to speak to the firm and work something out, they usually will be sound by all accounts.

Aside from that, try not to think about whether or not you passed or failed them. They are unpredictable and that's that.

Hi,

Thanks for replying! The reason I am doing all 8 is because my parents are really fed up of me & I just want to get them done & out of the way as son as possible. I have no commitments right now in terms of work so I can easily do a 9-6 study until March. I plan to do all 8 but realistically I can maybe do 5, as you said. But I'm still going to try my best & if I can't do them all well, then there is always October.

I may be ale to get 2014 Independant Colleges manuals + 1 2015 Company manual for €350. Is this a good price? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭OfficeGirl2015

Can anyone please explain the importance of Pringle in Constitutional law? Is it just to show how difficult it is for a citizens to challenge the acts of the government? In light of Crotty it appeared that the Courts might get involved with decisions that the executive makes where they are unconstitutional but in Pringle the court stepped back from this approach?

Constitutional :mad::confused:

I think the main deviation in Pringle is where the issue of sovereignty was not a breach 'to such an extent' as to be unconstitutional. The judiciary do appear to be very hesitant to interfere in executive matters using the tag line 'out of deference to exclusive function' ....does this help at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 PorthawGlen

Tired_Man wrote: »
    I would agree with everything Smeal says there Racquel. If it is a matter of having a training contract waiting for you the following September the best thing is to speak to the firm and work something out, they usually will be sound by all accounts.

Aside from that, try not to think about whether or not you passed or failed them. They are unpredictable and that's that.

Couldn't agree more with the above. Unless you are desperate to get to blackhall in september just concentrate on getting 3 in the bag and go from there. I have spoken to countless solicitors who went straight through FE1's then blackball then straight into working after college and regretted it. The way i look at it is am in no big panic to sit behind a desk for the next 40 years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Claregal11

Just realized after reading this that I only answered part b of q1 too after already just hoping I had scraped a pass thinking it was a full question. Hoping he's as nice a marker as the old examiner!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Claregal11 wrote: »
    Just realized after reading this that I only answered part b of q1 too after already just hoping I had scraped a pass thinking it was a full question. Hoping he's as nice a marker as the old examiner!

Same! I was happy with it leaving but now not so much. It's usually "or" so I must've not even read it when I saw that there was a question I liked in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭missindigo123

I think the main deviation in Pringle is where the issue of sovereignty was not a breach 'to such an extent' as to be unconstitutional. The judiciary do appear to be very hesitant to interfere in executive matters using the tag line 'out of deference to exclusive function' ....does this help at all?

Thanks a mill!! Helps loads! Cant wait to be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

Hi all
    Very disheartened after eu today I just didn't cover enough and competition my strong one didn't come up. Any body any tips or what is due for constitutional law or maybe not due? Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Claregal11

I was already disappointed cause I completely mixed up article 110 putting with competition law. So sickened!

Figsy32 wrote: »
    Same! I was happy with it leaving but now not so much. It's usually "or" so I must've not even read it when I saw that there was a question I liked in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Laura Steph

Hi,

Thanks for replying! The reason I am doing all 8 is because my parents are really fed up of me & I just want to get them done & out of the way as son as possible. I have no commitments right now in terms of work so I can easily do a 9-6 study until March. I plan to do all 8 but realistically I can maybe do 5, as you said. But I'm still going to try my best & if I can't do them all well, then there is always October.

I may be ale to get 2014 Independant Colleges manuals + 1 2015 Company manual for €350. Is this a good price? Thanks.

Hi Raquel,

I'm in the same boat but honestly, don't put more pressure on yourself than absolutely necessary. I'm on my second set and decided to only take three in this round. ( The prospect of Constitutional and EU in one sitting was too horrendous)

Take your time, start with 3/4 that you feel will settle you in.

As far revision courses, I completely agree with other contributor's advice. They're more fe1 focused and will get you over the line. Hoping Independent College is second time lucky for me!

Best of luck whatever you decide!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Hi guys....nearly there.

With Contract is it possible to leave out the Consumer Protection material or would you recomend not to do so?
    I have no notes on any of the EU consumer legislation and don't fancy looking at it now. Is it ever mixed with other topics?

Plan on covering

O&A
    Consideration
    Capacity
    Estoppel
    Terms
    Exemption Clauses
    Mistake
    Misrepresentation
    Undup Influence (hasn't been on in a few papers?)
    Remedies

Also thinking of leaving out Privity as it came up last time?

Not sure about Discharge either but I guess I need to know a bit about this!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 HelMurf

Hi Im just looking for a general opinion on the constitutional exam; is it true that this examiner is the toughest? Or it is it just the case that the grading scheme is unpredictable? I'm considering whether to skip tomorrow's exam in order to focus fully on my contract re-sit Friday and I'm wondering if there's much point giving constitutional a try when I haven't done that work for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭HappySlappy123

Claregal11 wrote: »

I'm open to correction but legend is that the new examiner is a very generous marker. He'll need to be, I left quite happy but have picked a lot of holes in the time since. I'm hoping that my giving a reasonable attempt at 5 questions I should be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Tired_Man

dashdoll wrote: »
    Hi guys....nearly there.

With Contract is it possible to leave out the Consumer Protection material or would you recomend not to do so?
    I have no notes on any of the EU consumer legislation and don't fancy looking at it now. Is it ever mixed with other topics?

Plan on covering

O&A
    Consideration
    Capacity
    Estoppel
    Terms
    Exemption Clauses
    Mistake
    Misrepresentation
    Remedies

I left out consumer protection in March and passed but I wouldn't recommend it as it's as close to a guaranteed question you'll get on the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

dashdoll wrote: »
    Hi guys....nearly there.

Plan on covering

O&A
    Consideration
    Capacity
    Estoppel
    Terms
    Exemption Clauses
    Mistake
    Misrepresentation
    Remedies

I'm thinking similarly. Undue influence came up the time before last but still probably worth knowing. I'm doing discharge anyway I think it's handy to know for parts of questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Hi,

I'm sorry you feel that way Raquel. Parents, although pushy sometimes, will never understand how tough these exams are though. My parents are completely mind-boggled about how fe1s work and what they mean- in fact they keep calling them G1s!!!! What the f are G-1s?!?! Anyways, it might be worth sitting down with them and having a chat. You can't have that pressure mounting over you.

Yeah anything between 250-350 for 5 manuals seems like a good enough price. Seriously Raquel take a few weeks off to let things settle then get yourself organised again and start from the beginning. Baby steps!! Aim for your magic 3 and you'll be flyin after that ☺️

On a side note, has anybody who takes the exams in the conference centre at the back noticed the playing of la cucaracha on what sounds like a horn about a third of the way through the exams?! Always wondered what that is...

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭FE1 student

Hi All,

I was afraid to come on here did not want a to hear the comments on the EU pAper. I answered 5, well 3 ok 2 half arsed. But that's it I am done. Hopefully my last FE 1 exam and for now it's vino time, then sleep then more vino. Then cleaning my house which has been neglected for weeks! Too all who have exams left keep the head down push on not long left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 PorthawGlen

Officially Hit the wall :(:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement