Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

It's an exception to the rule in Pinnels case where no fresh consideration has passed they deemed the benefit of being assured the work would be done as consideration. That's what i got from it anyway..

I get that, it just seems to fit more into the contractual duty exception (like Stilk v Myrick) since it's got nothing to do with part-payment of a debt!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 PorthawGlen

I get that, it just seems to fit more into the contractual duty exception (like Stilk v Myrick) since it's got nothing to do with part-payment of a debt!

Yea i get what you mean. My notes from Griffith have it in the same place under pinnel's rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Christy_C

It's just to illustrate fresh consideration. Otherwise they would have been subject to the penalty clause which was in the original contract.

Best of luck today everyone for the last exam - thank to lords !!! I should really be studying instead of posting on boards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Simplyliving04

Christy_C wrote: »
    Best of luck today everyone for the last exam - thank to lords !!! I should really be studying instead of posting on boards!!

Last exam!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭OfficeGirl2015

Sitting in my car desperately trying to smash info into an already over full brain.....ah well last one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Was it just me that thought that Contract paper was a bit brutal?
    I actually thought I was well prepared until I went in and realised I knew nothing. Capacity was my only decent qs and even then I didn't discuss reform much.
    Thought the problem questions were VERY busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

dashdoll wrote: »
    Was it just me that thought that Contract paper was a bit brutal?
    I actually thought I was well prepared until I went in and realised I knew nothing. Capacity was my only decent qs and even then I didn't discuss reform much.
    Thought the problem questions were VERY busy.

I couldn't get my head straight with cases at all. So much confusion between frustration/breach/exemption clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 OscarBN

Yep, no undue/eco duress/insurance contracts/directives essays!
    But two misrep and email essay????

Well I hope to god the examiner is an easy marker - thought I was well prepared for that exam. Couldn't be more wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Lawexe2012

OscarBN wrote: »
    Yep, no undue/eco duress/insurance contracts/directives essays!
    But two misrep and email essay????

Two misrep?

Lawexe2012 wrote: »
    Two misrep?

The problem question on misrep and damages question comparing to misrep remedy

• Registered Users Posts: 21 coco97

Congratulations on finishing everyone!!

The problem question on misrep and damages question comparing to misrep remedy

Which problem question was that? I did consumer legislation for question particularly s.14

Which problem question was that? I did consumer legislation for question particularly s.14

Yeah you could bring that in as well along with the exclusion clause.

Yeah you could bring that in as well along with the exclusion clause.

I cannot believe I missed out on misrep! And that was one of my good answers! There is no hope for this one now! So disappointed in myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 OscarBN

Oops that says and not or! I skipped it.
    Action for misrep rather than breach AND how remedies for misrep differ from remedies for breach. Sry

I cannot believe I missed out on misrep! And that was one of my good answers! There is no hope for this one now! So disappointed in myself!

No it was mainly sale of goods - I just brought in misrep to fill up my pages haha

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Kcookies2015

I talked about privity in relation to the Ben & paddy situation but starting to think I may have done that element wrong! Overall a fair paper but I was not as prepared as I thought! Knew all the facts of the cases for most part of paper but could not squeeze a name out.... Do you lose big marks for forgetting names? Not heading home on the high I thought : (

I did sale of goods 13/14 mixed with exclusion clauses together with how oral collateral term trumps standard contract. I think there was a WHOLE lot of stuff you could have put in to the problem questions and still missed other parts. They had scope which could be helpful with marking. Fingers crossed anyway!

So glad we are finished....see you all back here in 6 weeks for results!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭EthanSS

Guys, for that prob Q, I spoke solely on Exclusion Clauses and Misrep. I didn't mention Sale of Goods at all. It didn't even occur to me!! FML 😥

Overall, I thought it was a tough tough paper.

I'm afraid to ask - was Q4 on Mistake and maybe damages?

I was all over the shop in that exam anyway. Lots of people seemed to leave relatively early too.

EthanSS wrote: »
    Guys, for that prob Q, I spoke solely on Exclusion Clauses and Misrep. I didn't mention Sale of Goods at all. It didn't even occur to me!! FML 😥

Overall, I thought it was a tough tough paper.

I'm afraid to ask - was Q4 on Mistake and maybe damages?

I was all over the shop in that exam anyway. Lots of people seemed to leave relatively early too.

Was that the one about Ben and Paula and Paddy? Im back in the office and left the paper in the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

I thought I knew the topics going in but the problem qs instantly threw me and I got so muddled up between topics that I genuinely couldn't remember hardly anything or any cases.

Will have to figure out a different way to approach learning it next time.

Notuced a serious amount of people left early too..way more than any exam usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Chuckler

I talked about privity in relation to the Ben & paddy situation but starting to think I may have done that element wrong! Overall a fair paper but I was not as prepared as I thought! Knew all the facts of the cases for most part of paper but could not squeeze a name out.... Do you lose big marks for forgetting names? Not heading home on the high I thought : (

Same bere, discussed privity but mentioned Sale of goods act 1980, s13 Defective vehicle at the start then went on about the exceception of agency to the doctrine of privity

did anyone attempt q1 in the contract exam???

I did sale of goods 13/14 mixed with exclusion clauses together with how oral collateral term trumps standard contract. I think there was a WHOLE lot of stuff you could have put in to the problem questions and still missed other parts. They had scope which could be helpful with marking. Fingers crossed anyway!

I answered the same so we can't all be wrong!!! 😆😆😆

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

The more I think about and get asked about these exams, the more sure I am that I've failed. I'm going to have c to start looking into other ways to qualify or other job options because I don't think I can face trying to get the magic three for a third time.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Legalfarmer89

A very Tricky exam in my opinion.
    I taught the frustration question with "Ben and Joe"(elements of fundamental breach mixed in) and the consideration and estopel questions were grand.
    There was a real mix of topics and I didnt like that misrepresentation and Breach of contract remedies question. I hope everyone did themselves justice.
    I wrote very little for the auctions question on offer and acceptance. I got most of the key concepts (misses the nickerson case tho!) the way I phrased my answer was terrible.
    I hope the examiner is nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

Six weeks, is that the consensus, yeah? How predictable is it?

• Advertisement

Why are we all still on boards!!!????!!!!????!!! Should we not be hitting the pub or has the FE-1 clique suddenly become more mature?:pac::pac:

Seriously, hope everybody did well. I noticed a lot of people walking out today. Not good. A well deserved rest folks until you hit the next of them (or better still - Blackhall Place!):eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement